Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Set to buy a used TL, but you guys are scaring me away

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 05:02 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Set to buy a used TL, but you guys are scaring me away

I have an appointment to see/drive an '04 6MT tonight, but after reading about all of the problems these cars have I'm starting to change my mind! Please tell me something good about the car before I go to see it.

Rattles, vibrations, shift problems? It's hard to believe this car is made by Honda!!!

Mark
Old 04-14-2007, 05:08 PM
10th Gear

Just remember, of the thousands upon thousands of these cars sold, that you will only hear mainly about issues on any car boards. People rarely post to say they are having no problems with their cars. Do you research on other places such as Edmunds.com or Consumer Reports and look at these boards for information. I had an '02 BMW 540 and from reading forums you would think that the car would overheat every couple of months and was so expensive to repair and upkeep. To tell you the truth, I had less rattles in that car than my new TL-S....
Old 04-14-2007, 05:16 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
if rattles and an easily fixable shift problem is the sum of thousands of users concerns, I'd say you're in pretty good shape. Sometimes I wonder what other car forums complain about most frequently. I'm willing to bet they wish they only had rattles to worry about.
Old 04-14-2007, 05:39 PM
06 TL 6spd. Navi/A-spec

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All cars have their own problems, these are just a few little things wrong with the tl, rattles can be fixed, alot of hondas and acuras have them, the interior is made of plastic panels what do you expect, as for the shifting to me it isnt a big issue, change the fluid religiously and you shouldnt have a problem, if anything goes wrong honda and acura do goodwill alot of trannys, as for the whole vehicle if you keep it maintiained i think it is a all around a great reliable car!
Old 04-14-2007, 05:44 PM
Team NBP Stealth Fighter

Originally Posted by Markks2000
I have an appointment to see/drive an '04 6MT tonight, but after reading about all of the problems these cars have I'm starting to change my mind! Please tell me something good about the car before I go to see it.

Rattles, vibrations, shift problems? It's hard to believe this car is made by Honda!!!

Mark
Don't believe the hype. I think the majority of owners here are happy with their cars. I have an '04 6MT and love my car. I have actually grown more fond of it the longer I've owned it. "All of the problems"? There hasn't been any problem on my car that hasn't or couldn't be resolved by Acura service.

My only complaint is the seats. But, it's not enough to make me rethink my purchase or negatively impact my ownership experience.

Take that car out and get a good feel for it. Hope it all works out for you.
Old 04-14-2007, 05:44 PM
GO DAWGS!! SICK'EM!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Did you ever see and hear other makers vehicle catch on Fire?
Old 04-14-2007, 05:55 PM
Welcome to Olliewood

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts
^are u reffering to Bavarian Motor Works company?
Old 04-14-2007, 06:03 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mark
All of the problems??? Man, Mark, my car doesn't have none of those damn issues! None! Ok, when I turn my sub up all the way while playing NAS "Black Republican", my shit rattles, but only like in the sub area. I saw a fix on here for that though. A simple one. As for everything else, man, stop that shit and get yo ass in that damn dealership and join the crew! This damn car is fun! I got one (06 6MT) and I'm telling you that you will love it!!

Head-turner, road-burner, and make ya put everything on the back-burner when ya get ta modding it!!!

P.S. - I only got one other thing to say, and ya'll know what it is...N-B-P!!!
Old 04-14-2007, 06:05 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by darksom1
All of the problems??? Man, Mark, my car doesn't have none of those damn issues! None! Ok, when I turn my sub up all the way while playing NAS "Black Republican", my shit rattles, but only like in the sub area. I saw a fix on here for that though. A simple one. As for everything else, man, stop that shit and get yo ass in that damn dealership and join the crew! This damn car is fun! I got one (06 6MT) and I'm telling you that you will love it!!

Head-turner, road-burner, and make ya put everything on the back-burner when ya get ta modding it!!!

P.S. - I only got one other thing to say, and ya'll know what it is...N-B-P!!!
whats that simple fix darksom?
Old 04-14-2007, 06:19 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Originally Posted by leedogg
whats that simple fix darksom?
Here ya go 'Dogg!

Got this off of a thread in here. I haven't tried it yet though, but seems applicable:

Trunk (deck lid) - usually this one is bass caused. Make .5 inch by 1 inch pieces of wood, cover in hockey tape, open trunk. Then in the underside of the deck lid from the truck you will see numerous slots in the steel - fit your fingers through, and you will feel the upper deck lid, the one you see from the rear glass. You will if you push up and down it can flex and when it does it hits the steel underside deck lid. Add the wood in through the slots in the underside steel deck lid and force up slightly the inner finished deck lid...no more noises when you turn up the bass.
Old 04-14-2007, 06:26 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

List of Rattle Fixes...

These are listed in here somewhere else, but maybe they will help Mark to see that they are very fixable if he has them in his TL:

RATTLE FIXES

Sunroof - metal on metal when it is in tilt mode, hit a bump it makes a rattle - while in tilt mode place your fingers in b/t the glass and the roof where they connect closest to the windshield - you will notice your finger tips touch both the top (glass frame) and bottom (roof pan). Place weather stripping on the leading edge of the sunroof from the inside of the car. Once you put the roof in tilt mode it will squish the weather stripping attached to the leading edge of the sunroof (you can get it at Canadian Tire or Home Depot) against the roof pan closest to the windshield. {problem solved.

Steering Wheel - I went to the dealer 10X. Each time it seemed as though it was fixed for a day or two, then either cold weather or a big bump would set it off. Finally, after being relentless, they replaced the airbag...that was 7mths ago, no issue since.

Dash - instrument cluster area - this one is easy - just place your fingers in the left and right side holes of the instrument cluster (a couple centimeters or an inch back from the clear plastic gauge covers) and push down while pulling toward you - this section pops out entirely, unclip the electrical connections and cover the back with light felt tape you use under table legs that are on hardwood floors - no more noises. Incidentally - this felt tape is fantastic b/c you can you it anywhere you have a rattle.

Console - take out the pin where you could put the ignition key in the shifter area, remove the silver housing around the shifter that sits on the carbon fiber...add above felt tape or otherwise. The issue here is the silver trim ring that covers the gap keeps rattling as it rubs against the carbon fiber, esp. when the car twists.

Trunk (deck lid) - usually this one is bass caused. Make .5 inch by 1 inch pieces of wood, cover in hockey tape, open trunk. Then in the underside of the deck lid from the truck you will see numerous slots in the steel - fit your fingers through, and you will feel the upper deck lid, the one you see from the rear glass. You will if you push up and down it can flex and when it does it hits the steel underside deck lid. Add the wood in through the slots in the underside steel deck lid and force up slightly the inner finished deck lid...no more noises when you turn up the base.

Driver side Vent - grab hold of it with your fingers in the slots with the drivers door open, shimmy back and forth, it comes out completely. Add felt tape. The drivers side vent has an edge around it where it butts up to the dash - it is an approximate 45 degree angle and has approx 1cm or so 'face' that would make contact with the dash....put the felt tape on the 1cm section all around.

Pull the vent out and drive around for a bit first to ensure it is actually coming from the area...and shake the vent to see if it is the vent. The felt is a cheap way to isolate worst case. Anyway I think it was the plastic pipe that defogs your left window (the top pipe) that’s actually inside the dash. I think it was hitting the top of the dash when the vent assembly was inserted - so I put felt between the top and the dash part (there’s a little hook coming out on the top - that’s what its actually hitting)

also on the vent assembly itself in between the defog vent and the main vent I put felt there as well (i.e. when the defog pipe would be "on" I thought it might be able to bounce down and tap the main vent so I put felt on the top of the main vent)

I also put some petroleum jelly on the metal clips and it got rid of the squeaking sound when you wiggle the vent when its inserted.

Driver side under steer column...not directly under but the area immediately over top the floor pan...tap it and you will see usually it rattles just add felt tape in the corners where it is plastic on plastic - not an issue in warm climates but an issue in cold CDN winters

Another fix for bass rattle:
The child anchors on the rear deck is another cause of the bass rattles. To fix, put a strip of weather-stripping on the plastic where the clover close on (right behind the headrests).
Old 04-14-2007, 06:33 PM
Banned

Mark
I think you can trust their engines. It is well made. I love that engine sound BROOOOM BROOOMMMMMMMMMM.

I used to complain about the 3rd shifting on the MT but I decided to put up with it and use my muscle to force the gear to 3rd hard. Now I can shift. I'm only dealing with it because I am impressed with everything else about the car in terms of performance. Just be sure to buy the 6MT version. 5.7 sec my friend... 5.7 sec lol. The Auto is slowwwww........ eww. lol!!
Old 04-14-2007, 07:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
To the OP:

Don't freak. The TL is a pretty good car. Aside from some rattles, It's well put together. Don't forget, forums beget complaints.

Go drive it, get a feel for it, and report back.
Old 04-14-2007, 07:49 PM
Advanced

Thanks guys! I will go to the dealer tonight and check it out. 2004 6MT, non-navi, 40,000 miles, $22,298. Sound fair? What should I shoot for?

I have a Honda S2000, and I heard about problems on those before I bought one, but mine has been completely trouble free!

Mark
Old 04-14-2007, 09:21 PM
Advanced

That is a fair price. In Jan, I got an 04 AT with Nav and 17k miles for 24k. So you might be able to do a little better, but that is not a bad price.
Oh, and I like mine a lot. Yea a few rattles, but other than that, I am perfectly happy.
Old 04-14-2007, 09:34 PM
Visionary Styles Crew

just buy the car. everyone is always going to have minor complaints about there car. BUT no one here can deny that the tl is a great car. very reliable and holds it's value.
Old 04-14-2007, 10:34 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
i have an 05 and luv it. is the 04 your lookin at a CPO? btw, i think that is a fair price imho of course.
Old 04-14-2007, 11:20 PM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

I've got an '04 and the ONLY real issue I had was the headliner. They eventually replaced it and that seems to have solved it. No rattles (ever). No tranny issues. No nothing. Just a good solid car. Not certain why others seem to have so many issues. Maybe they have issues with EVERYTHING in their life and the car is just an extension of those personal demons? You know how there are certain people who simply want everybody to listen to them (as it gives them SOME justification for their life)?
Old 04-14-2007, 11:56 PM
Advanced

Well guys, I checked out the car and drove it. No rattles, shifted fine, but not in the best of shape either. The car was straight with no dings or dents, but some light scratches in the paint. The driver's seat showed a lot of use and the metal strip closest to the driver on the console was dinged up. The thing torque steers like crazy but ran good. We ran the carfax while I was there and the car had 2 previous owner's and was repo'd from one of them. It was at a Ford dealer. They were not pushy to make a sale, which I was surprized because they've had it since 1/9/07. The car was listed at 23,398, and they offered it to me at 22,298 via email, and were willing to deal on that price. They also offered 0% financing for 60 months. I also drove an Altima SER while I was there. That thing was fast! And no noticeable torque steer either. It only had 10,000 miles on it. Horrible paint on that car, it didn't shine at all and was very scratched up.

Still looking!
Mark
Old 04-15-2007, 12:12 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Well guys, I checked out the car and drove it. No rattles, shifted fine, but not in the best of shape either. The car was straight with no dings or dents, but some light scratches in the paint. The driver's seat showed a lot of use and the metal strip closest to the driver on the console was dinged up. The thing torque steers like crazy but ran good. We ran the carfax while I was there and the car had 2 previous owner's and was repo'd from one of them. It was at a Ford dealer. They were not pushy to make a sale, which I was surprized because they've had it since 1/9/07. The car was listed at 23,398, and they offered it to me at 22,298 via email, and were willing to deal on that price. They also offered 0% financing for 60 months. I also drove an Altima SER while I was there. That thing was fast! And no noticeable torque steer either. It only had 10,000 miles on it. Horrible paint on that car, it didn't shine at all and was very scratched up.

Still looking!
Mark
Nah, you did right! Leave that "somebody else's problem car" to the dealers to get rid of! What about buying a new one? Not in the budget? I'm sure you will find one that is nice though...but good ones are hard to find! Hahaha! You see why that last one was out there right?
Old 04-15-2007, 12:29 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Still looking!
Mark
When the car has been repo'd.....and it is listed on the car fax or title history like that (usually does) that is a big red flag in many cases and people dont want to buy it. Thats why they were willing to deal on it or would have anyway. The basic premise here being....somebody who is just about to lose their car and in that bad of financial shape isnt usually the type to worry about properly maintaining a car...or for that fact...maintaining it at all....like wash it...change the oil....ect. Doesnt mean its a hoopty....just has a greater potential to be one....thats all. Its one of those major...buyer beware things. Some people would look at is as a bargain and an opportunity....others (most) will view it as a red flag and walk from it. They typically sell these types of cars at auction eventually....or to customers that are cash challenged and normally would not have been able to afford a car that nice...and they will put them in it...who are usually tickled pink as they stepped up in the process and are more caught up on that then the fact that the car was repo'd. That or they sell it to some unsuspecting customer who doesnt check the carfax or title history in any way. It does happen.
Old 04-15-2007, 09:26 AM
Pro

Buying a car that has been repo-ed is almost like buying a house that is in foreclosure. The important thing is to check it out (by a mechanic you trust) thoroughly to make sure that it is sound mechanically and in good overall shape. Also, make sure title is clean and it can pass inspection and emission tests. Good luck.
Old 04-15-2007, 02:50 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Originally Posted by kenny5
Buying a car that has been repo-ed is almost like buying a house that is in foreclosure.
Oh no! I gotta disagree on that one man! The house can be nice and appreciates! As in some money in it! Just pointing out the obvious...

I'm sure you meant that they both weren't paid for...right?
Old 04-15-2007, 03:54 PM
Advanced

I just bought a used 2004 black on on April 7th and I love it. A big jump from my 2001 Honda civic coupe which is powerless compared to my TL. I had to bring it into the dealer to resolve some issues like the heated seat switch button on the drivers side not illuminating and the engine making a whinning noise which was caused by the alternator pulley and acura replaced it free of charge because the car is still under the manufacturers warranty. I aslo purchased additional warranty for the car.
The car has 23,500 miles when I bought it and I love it! Smooth quiet ride and lot's of power more than the current base tl which has 258. All cars are gonna have
problems now days because they were built in a way that you bring them back
to the dealer to have serviced soon so they make money. Its all economics when
you look at it! If no one had problems with their car then the dealer doesn't make
any money at all! But go for it dude you'll love your TL!!!
Old 04-15-2007, 04:34 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I didn't think buying a repo'd car was that bad. I mean, a car like the TL is frequently beat up on...just read the posts around here....if you get the car inspected at a trusted mechanic and it checks out.....go for it!

OTOH, if it feels wrong....keep looking!
Old 04-15-2007, 11:05 PM
Intermediate

Thanks guys! I will go to the dealer tonight and check it out. 2004 6MT, non-navi, 40,000 miles, $22,298. Sound fair? What should I shoot for?

I have a Honda S2000, and I heard about problems on those before I bought one, but mine has been completely trouble free!

Mark
Well I can tell you I'm coming out of an 03 S2000 and just bought a 05 TL. All the good things you hear of s2000's and mine actually blew the motor. Sometimes you just get a bad car, but other than that the s2000 was a great car. Now I did all my homework and I'm sure the TL will be a great car for me also. Just drive it and buy what you like.
Old 04-16-2007, 02:59 PM
Advanced

Thank you to all who has replied! My search is over. Last night I purchased a "leftover" 2006 TSX 6MT with Navi for an unbelieveable price. Just too good to pass up. The dealer has several 2006 TL's as well, several of them being 6MT's if anybody is interested.

I drove one of the TL's before buying the TSX, and everytime I shifted the seat squeeked. That pretty much made up my mind for me. The TL is a great car, has lots of power and is a beautiful car. But the TSX fills my needs excellent at this time.

Thanks again everybody,
Mark
Old 04-16-2007, 05:04 PM
Banned

The TSX is slowwwwwwwwww..... ewwww!

not if you mod it, and with that stick shift and with weight reduction you have could have a killer TSX!

..................................... but anyways congratzzzz!
Old 04-16-2007, 05:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
congrats on the TSX
Old 04-16-2007, 05:32 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,107 Likes on 765 Posts
Last night I purchased a "leftover" 2006 TSX 6MT with Navi for an unbelieveable price. Just too good to pass up.
Congrats!
I was all set to get a 6MT TSX until my wife mentioned that she wanted an auto transmission, so I got the TL since it drove well even with a 5AT.
Old 04-17-2007, 02:47 PM
Advanced

Thank you to all who has replied! My search is over. Last night I purchased a "leftover" 2006 TSX 6MT with Navi for an unbelieveable price. Just too good to pass up. The dealer has several 2006 TL's as well, several of them being 6MT's if anybody is interested.

I drove one of the TL's before buying the TSX, and everytime I shifted the seat squeeked. That pretty much made up my mind for me. The TL is a great car, has lots of power and is a beautiful car. But the TSX fills my needs excellent at this time.

Thanks again everybody,
Mark
Congrats, hopefully you'll enjoy your TSX. I know that it's a reliable car since my friend has one and he has no complaints whatsoever.