Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

service problems?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2006, 09:38 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
service problems?

I am in a lemon lawsuit with VW at the moment. I've always heard great things about Acura. Has anyone had major or reoccuring service with a TL? Any lemons out there?

Just curious...dont want to get into another very problematic car.
Old 07-29-2006, 10:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
I just came from an 03 Passat to a TL ... From what I have seen/read there is a lot less dealer issues and a lot less car issues. Common ones .. rattles but no coil pack issues .. no CCM issues ... no sludge issues ..

But the fit and finish of the passat was better and so was the leather .. TL has better milage & power.
Old 07-30-2006, 04:39 AM
Intermediate

The dealer here where I live now is a dick. I had to write a letter to the GM of the dealership to get my car fixed, it was a knock down drag out to get my TL fixed.

I will tell you that every time I go to the Acura dealer it is empty in the service area, and I think that is because people have few problems with their cars.
Old 07-30-2006, 10:09 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,617 Likes on 2,195 Posts
There are lemons with any car make, and the TL is no exception. Occasional problems do creep up. That's why we have a "Problems and Fixes" section. The 3G Garage at the top of the 3G TL forum main page also goes over a lot of issues and curiousities with the car.

As a rule, the TL's main flaw is with rattles, which are usually fixable and minor. I've had my car for 2 3/4 years now with no major issues. You can click on the "2 year review" link in my signature to get an idea of what the average TL owner's life is like.
Old 07-30-2006, 11:16 AM
04 NBP 6MT

I came to Acura from a brand new Pontiac Grand Am and a brand new Jeep Grand Cherokee. Both my previous rides had numerous, severe and expensive problems. I bought my TL used 8 months ago with 26,000 on the clock (now I'm at 33,000) and have had no problems other than rattles, which don't bother me a bit, as they don't impede the forward progress of the car. I get mine serviced (so far just one oil change and tire rotation) at Ed Voyles Acura in Atlanta and they are by far the best service experience I've ever had. That said, a few forum members have had lemons and other issues, I recommend doing a search.
Old 07-30-2006, 12:52 PM
05WDP Midlife crisis

I have to say that my Acura dealership has provided a great level of service as compared to my other new car purchases. I still get that muscle car eye once in a while but then my wife reminds me of the dependability/service and resale value which brings me back to Acura. (along with the smack along side of my head).
Old 07-30-2006, 05:38 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,149 Likes on 775 Posts
Check Consumer Reports

Originally Posted by pbusko
I am in a lemon lawsuit with VW at the moment. I've always heard great things about Acura. Has anyone had major or reoccuring service with a TL? Any lemons out there?...
Check Consumer Reports' vehicle histories to determine if you want to consider general repair histories before buying a specific car model.
Yes, there are lemon TLs out there- at least half a dozen posters here have had major (engine, electronic or suspension) problems with their cars, out of thousands of Acurazine members and about 230,000+ Acura 3G TLs in the US and Canada. However, I assume your concern is minimizing the possibility of getting a lemon. Any input from us Acura owners will be biased and based upon too small of a statistical sampling for that purpose, while Consumer Reports has much larger sampling. I think Acura TL and TSX are rated much better than the Jettas, Passats and carious Audis in Consumer Reports.
There will always be exceptions, too, as to general repair history and reputation. I have a buddy whose 2000 Passat has been perfect, and two colleagues who have had major fuel and transmission problems within 3 months of buying their new Mercedes vehicles (an ML and an E350).
One of my two 3G TL-owning colleagues has had a seat leather creasing folding issue (not uncommon in 2004 and remedied in 2005) in his car; the other has not had any problems, nor have I.
Old 07-30-2006, 09:56 PM
not vtech... VTEC!!!

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
I was with the VAG family (audi) and so far my TL has absolutely no mechanical issues - no leaky cam seals, no leaking driveshaft seals, no timing belt tensioner issues, no coilpacks issues, no premature control arm failures (I replaced all 8 in front, some twice).

I think you get the picture.... The only problem I've had so far is the rattles, which my A4 had plenty as well.

Overall, very, very satisfied with my decision to jump into the TL.
Old 07-31-2006, 09:29 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All cars have issues. Some more than others. It's how the manufacturer and the dealer handle those issues that set it apart from everyone else.