Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Service Director at Los Gatos Acura

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2005, 02:06 PM
AVB for President!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Exclamation Service Director at Los Gatos Acura

This post serves not as a direct attack on someone, but as a caution.

I just called for a price quote for A1 service at Los Gatos Acura in CA, and was given an absurd price of $140 plus applicable taxes.

This is obviously obsurd, even with regional differences. In any case, I expressed my concern to Jay, the service director, and he basically blew it off.

Here are some of the things he said:
1. For the same minor service at Lexus, I pay about $150. To that I said: Well, then I should receive the same luxury service and results as the Lexus maintainance. If there's anything after the service that I don't think was done properly, can I have you guys look over it? He got mad at this and basically said: "Well, from the sounds of it, you don't want to get your service here. You might as well go somewhere else." WTF?!

2. I ask for a faxed list of the service items performed to see if the remaining items (other than oil/filter change and tire rotation) are reasonably justified in their fees. Of course he said: "I'll be more than happy to do this" but as of 1 hour later, no fax.

3. He said other dealerships (like Sunnyvale) are owned by the same owner, so it'd cost the same. Okay, so then I said, well there are other dealerships too. He said: Fine, then go there instead. See #1.

You see, even if I am wrong to ask for a justification of cost (which I don't think I am), the fact remains that he basically blew me off and told me to go somewhere else.

I made a subsequent call to the Customer Service Manager (Robin) and she told me this is a new service director and this definitely has not been the first complaint about him of this sort. I made another call to the General Manager (Mark Maxwell) to let him know of the incident as well.

What I basically am trying to accomplish with this post are the following:

1. Be vigilant in your customer service expectations, and always bring up concerns to the right people (CS mgr and General mgr). However, always commend too! This helps retain and reward the right people!

2. Do your research and don't let one person push you around. As you know, they do want your service because they get paid to do it! No service = no pay (or very little).
Old 08-09-2005, 02:18 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, now there's another person whose job title/description should never have the word service in it... I'm sure he'll keep a lot of customers with that attitude...
Old 08-09-2005, 05:18 PM
AVB for President!

Can a mod please help me move this to the general 3G TL forum? Thanks!
Old 08-10-2005, 11:44 AM
AVB for President!

I'm supposed to get a call back from the general manager today.. Let's see what he says. Its not like I want to get anything free either out of this whole situation. I just want other customers to not have to go through the customer disservice given by the service director. Also, he is a bad influence on his team, which should not be tolerated.
Old 08-10-2005, 12:25 PM
Cruisin'

Thanks for the heads up. I'd be interested to hear if you get a response from the GM or what you find in the way of service/cost from other dealers if you choose to go elsewhere. Have you already tried Autowest Acura of Stevens Creek?
Old 08-10-2005, 12:56 PM
AVB for President!

Not yet, but I may check out Autowest Acura of Stevens Creek.. In fact, I'm going to call them right now and see what their quote is...

I just called and was quoted $70 for an A1 service at Stevens Creek. That's HALF the cost of Los Gatos Acura!!!
Old 08-10-2005, 01:08 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
You young guys are really funny. I hope that you conduct yourselves the same way you expect others to act. We have a free market system, you are entitled to go where you like for service. The dealer personal are NOT there to play 20 questions or be verbally abused by you. They should reply to polite questions with polite answers. When you attempt to grill them or lecture them about dealer policy anything might happen.

I think that some of your rage is misdirected at a lowly clerical person (service writer) that does not deserve the BS. You might be surprised what a smile and some empathy will get you. Just my $.02
Old 08-10-2005, 01:34 PM
AVB for President!

Well, let me clarify a few things:

This is the service DIRECTOR. Top honcho at the service dept, not a lowly clerical person. I conducted myself just fine. I asked him simple questions, and he lost his cool. I did not verbally abuse anyone. I know I'm entitled to go anywhere I like, but I also have a right to know what the specific service items are for an A1 service. Every question was polite. He just took it the wrong way. I don't mind paying for $140 if what I got was good customer service. The fact that he lied to me too (saying that a competing dealership had the same cost because it was owned by the same owner) doesn't fly too well with customers either.

I think anyone who was quoted $140 would ask a few questions since this does seem a bit high, especially when competing dealerships are offering the same service for $70 and $99.

Of course I treat others with the way I want to be treated. For all that I know, its MY car in THEIR shop, with MY money on the line, so of course I don't want anything funny happening. This all means that I'm not going to be "funny" myself, either.

The fact that the Customer Service Relations manager, my own Fleet Sales manager, and now the general manager all agree with me shows this guy has issues.

Lastly, you can call my displeasure "rage," but I don't think any rational mind would call it BS, because I didn't lecture or anything of that sort.

The service director is indefensible.

Oh, and age has nothing to do with it.

Originally Posted by MR1
You young guys are really funny. I hope that you conduct yourselves the same way you expect others to act. We have a free market system, you are entitled to go where you like for service. The dealer personal are NOT there to play 20 questions or be verbally abused by you. They should reply to polite questions with polite answers. When you attempt to grill them or lecture them about dealer policy anything might happen.

I think that some of your rage is misdirected at a lowly clerical person (service writer) that does not deserve the BS. You might be surprised what a smile and some empathy will get you. Just my $.02
Old 08-10-2005, 02:46 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by TLTrance

This is the service DIRECTOR. Top honcho at the service dept, not a lowly clerical person. I conducted myself just fine. I asked him simple questions, and he lost his cool. I did not verbally abuse anyone. I know I'm entitled to go anywhere I like, but I also have a right to know what the specific service items are for an A1 service. Every question was polite. He just took it the wrong way. I don't mind paying for $140 if what I got was good customer service. The fact that he lied to me too (saying that a competing dealership had the same cost because it was owned by the same owner) doesn't fly too well with customers either.

I think anyone who was quoted $140 would ask a few questions since this does seem a bit high, especially when competing dealerships are offering the same service for $70 and $99.

Of course I treat others with the way I want to be treated. For all that I know, its MY car in THEIR shop, with MY money on the line, so of course I don't want anything funny happening. This all means that I'm not going to be "funny" myself, either.

The fact that the Customer Service Relations manager, my own Fleet Sales manager, and now the general manager all agree with me shows this guy has issues.

Lastly, you can call my displeasure "rage," but I don't think any rational mind would call it BS, because I didn't lecture or anything of that sort.

OK, it was just a thought. Seems like lot of energy for some asshole. I get most of that stuff done and an included car wash for $35.00. Having the dealer do it is about out of the question. Honda dealer might be much less as well. Did you end up getting your car serviced somewhere btw?
Old 08-10-2005, 03:16 PM
Instructor

For reference I just paid for an A1 service (first one) $30 for the oil change (includes car wash) and $35 for the tire rotation. Total bill was about 70 with tax. This is in Scottsdale, AZ. The individual prices were presented to me right off the bat and I could've excluded one or the other. If I was in your position I would've asked for the items included in the $140 price to justify it as well.
Old 08-10-2005, 03:20 PM
AVB for President!

I haven't brought in my car for service yet. I was merely getting a quote before I decide where to go. I most likely will go to Autowest Acura of Steven's Creek. They quoted me $70. Kinda interesting being that they are about 7-10 miles separated from Los Gatos Acura. I will be bringing in my own oil and filter, which drops the price to $50. I just don't have the facility/tools to do the change, otherwise I'd probably do it myself.
Old 08-10-2005, 03:50 PM
Instructor

My suggestion.......just do the oil chage and tire rotation as others have stated. All of the other items are just visual inspections.
Old 08-10-2005, 06:29 PM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought my car at Los Gatos, but I live an hour north, so I don't get it serviced there. However, I did have to take it to them recently to get a paint problem fixed. I'm not completely happy with the results, but everyone thinks I'm being overly-picky. I don't have a problem with the dealership per se, but I am bothered they told me the car had never been hit when, in fact, they fixed the damage from a minor hit. Also, the sales manager is a good guy, IMO.

I don't think you did anything wrong in asking for an itemized list of what the $140 includes. I'm guessing his attitude comes from his knowing his service is overpriced and he's tired of having to defend it. Whether you criticized it or not, his paranoia caused him to react as if you were criticizing it. I find it a bit strange that others in the dealership are bad-mouthing the guy. That stinks of unprofessionalism to me.
Old 08-10-2005, 06:45 PM
Racer

You certainly have a lot of time to be making a loot of phone calls . I hate people like you . Looking for an excuse to whine about everything . DONT LIKE THE PRICE go to a different place!!! . Everyone knows dealers charge a lot more for eveything , I dont see what the surprise is . BUUUU the service dealer was rude cry me a river dumbass . You want the dealer to do it PAY the 140 or go to a different place .
Old 08-10-2005, 07:27 PM
AVB for President!

I don't think you got even 1/2 the points I'm making. Of course, realizing that I said I don't mind paying for the $140 charge, this makes your points below completely moot. Am I whining or do I actually have legitimate points concerning the lack of customer service? Ask yourself if you feel good the next time someone treats you like shit when it comes to customer service. The surprise isn't the charge itself. Customers have a right to know what they are paying for. And right now, the issue isn't even about price. Its about his bad attitude. And apparently, you condone it, which probably means you do the same to others. Go hate on yourself for being so myopic.

Originally Posted by geminisdc
You certainly have a lot of time to be making a loot of phone calls . I hate people like you . Looking for an excuse to whine about everything . DONT LIKE THE PRICE go to a different place!!! . Everyone knows dealers charge a lot more for eveything , I dont see what the surprise is . BUUUU the service dealer was rude cry me a river dumbass . You want the dealer to do it PAY the 140 or go to a different place .
Old 08-10-2005, 07:30 PM
Advanced

I think he made it clear that his biggest issue is that the so-called service director has no clue how to treat customers, not the $140 per se.

EDIT: TLTrance, you beat me to it!
Old 08-10-2005, 07:31 PM
AVB for President!

I'd also like to point out that even if it was only $10, the customer still has the right to be treated with respect. Apparently you do not get this.
Old 08-10-2005, 07:38 PM
Instructor

Not yet, but I may check out Autowest Acura of Stevens Creek.. In fact, I'm going to call them right now and see what their quote is...

I just called and was quoted $70 for an A1 service at Stevens Creek. That's HALF the cost of Los Gatos Acura!!!
Hey TLTrance:

Thanks for letting us Bay Area TL owners know about the pricing differences - it would be interesting to see more pricing comparisons for other services. And feel free to vent all you want . . .

The folks at Autowest Acura SC have been great - the Svc Director, my Svc Advisor and the Svc Tech were all very professional and showed that they were concerned about my satisfaction. I had to get my dash replaced and the car was sent to a 3rd party for a repair attempt (my insurance pushed this route). The 3rd party failed and AASC replaced the dash - however, in the process of moving my car between companies, my windshield was chipped. I'm not sure who did it, but, Autowest Acura immediately took ownership of the problem and fixed it. WOW! Now that is amazing customer service to me . . .

sftroy
Old 08-10-2005, 07:40 PM
Instructor

Two words. Shop around.
Old 08-10-2005, 08:01 PM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

I hate people who crap all over a thread before they understand what it's about.
Old 08-10-2005, 09:14 PM
Racer

[QUOTE=bluenoise]I bought my car at Los Gatos, but I live an hour north, so I don't get it serviced there. However, I did have to take it to them recently to get a paint problem fixed. I'm not completely happy with the results, but everyone thinks I'm being overly-picky. I don't have a problem with the dealership per se, but I am bothered they told me the car had never been hit when, in fact, they fixed the damage from a minor hit. Also, the sales manager is a good guy, IMO.

Interesting that I did the same thing - bought from Los Gatos Acura even though I live about an hour north too! My buying experience was fantastic so I'm disappointed to hear of troubles with their service department. I'll probably never go there for service anyway since it's too far.

Bluenoise - where do you get your TL serviced?

I guess the lesson learned here is we have to shop and compare prices for service too just like we did when we bought our cars. I would have thought all Acura dealerships charged the same prices for services.
Old 08-10-2005, 09:27 PM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

Originally Posted by Yakuza70
Interesting that I did the same thing - bought from Los Gatos Acura even though I live about an hour north too! My buying experience was fantastic so I'm disappointed to hear of troubles with their service department. I'll probably never go there for service anyway since it's too far.

Bluenoise - where do you get your TL serviced?

I guess the lesson learned here is we have to shop and compare prices for service too just like we did when we bought our cars. I would have thought all Acura dealerships charged the same prices for services.
I live in the east bay, so I've taken my car to Acura of Concord a couple of times. The first time was for the seat memory issue (no charge) and the second time was to get the rattles fixed (also no charge). They were pretty good to deal with on both occasions and I got a loaner TL both times.

For oil changes, I do it myself, or have the local service station do it with oil and filter that I supply.

The loaner that Acura of Los Gatos gave me was a Buick Lacrosse. What a piece of crap that was.
Old 08-10-2005, 09:56 PM
Instructor

Consumers just need to do their homework on what the majority of other people are paying and if you have to drive a bit farther to get that "average price" so be it. I got quoted $100.00 dollars for the A1 service. Being a manager for a major corporation I knew that questioning the high price that was quoted to me wouldnt do much to bring that price down and I would be opening myself for some stupid remarks from the employees there. So I said thanks and drove 8 miles away and got quoted $ 69.99! Now I know where to take my car when my A1 light comes on. I can relate to tl trance, mr1 and caha14's points.
Old 08-11-2005, 02:28 AM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I hate people like you

Damn gemini.... If this sort of issue brings about hatred you best seek professional help early. Life is too short

I concur w/bluenose in the fact that dealership service advisor's/managers are like this due to constantly having to explain/defend their high prices.

I remember the time I had the wife stop by the Chevy dealer to pick up some differential lube for our Z71 Sub. I figured since she was making the stop I would have her grab a fuel filter and serpentine belt. I got home from work and was told the bill w/tax was just under $160!! I figured it would be more expensive but this was ridiculous ($18 per qt for Penzoil synthetic...wasn't even some fancy GM lube). I drove down to Autozone and purchased everything, better lube/oil and quality belt/filter. Total was just under $70 w/tax.

I had no problems returning the products to the dealer nor telling him "why" when he asked.... His response, a professional: "I understand that Mr. Smitty".

It's a fact that dealerships will rape you on service, parts,and of course sales. Some are just better than others at realizing and dealing with the customer challenging the issue. The better ones work with you and break the cost out for ya.. Doing this still gives them a profit yet keeps the customer happy.. If the service bozo at Gatos Acura had done that for TLFrance, his profit margin would have been less but he would also of had a satisfied "returning" customer.. As of his actual actions/attitude, Gatos has probably lost a customer not only for service but future purchases etc..

As they say, don't bite/eat the hand that feeds ya..

As for the general manager etc. bad-mouthing a fellow imployee... From my knowledge/experiences that is a typical response from management to quickly defuse and take over the conversation from an upset customer. "O-yes, we have had other complaints about that individual - bla-bla-bla-bla-bla.. Sorry for your experience. I'll be having a talk with him etc. Come back and see us please.."

As with most issues like this, I maintain a "one strike your out rule"....

Good job ensuring your getting what you pay for TLFrance.
Old 08-11-2005, 03:48 PM
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Dude, did you even fucking try to read the thread ? he has clearly explained numerous times that his issue is with the dealer UNABLE to explain what the $140 included and the service manager being RUDE....

what part of that is hard to understand for your dumbass..?
Old 08-20-2005, 08:51 PM
06 TSX ASM/Ebony 5AT

I find that it is quite interesting that sale & service departments act quite differently towards customers. I have had the similar experience with VW dealers in the Bay Area.

I will be shopping for a TL/RL soon. I will keep TLTrance's comment in mind when I visit Los Altos, Sunnyvale & Stevens Creek Acura dealers.
Old 08-20-2005, 09:20 PM
Banned

Whatever,
Old 08-20-2005, 09:59 PM
Boondocks fanatic.....

Dude, you truly don't have a clue when it comes to customer service. Cause if you did you wouldn't have posted this nonsense.....