Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sequential Sport Shift?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2004, 01:10 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sequential Sport Shift?

Hey guys! Just wondering if anybody is having the same problem as me when driving in Sequential Sport Shift mode. For the most part I have no problems when driving normally. However, when driving more agrresively, for example accelerating quickly off a light my malfunftion lamp flashes (engine light). I know this light doesn't have anything to do with the engine but does monitor emissions. My question is, am I doing something wrong while driving to make this light flash or does it simply mean I am not driving the most efficiently when it comes to lowering emissions and having better gas mileage? It normally happens when going from 0-70 kph or approx. 0-40 MPH before switching from second to third. My RPM's are always well below red lining before switching gears so I am confused as to why this happens. I'm sorry if this questions has been raised in the past, however, I am new to this forum and have not seen anything like that yet. Thanks for your help in advance.
Old 09-18-2004, 01:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You probably just need a software update. Its been mentioned many times and thats usually the problem.
Old 09-18-2004, 07:08 PM
8th Gear

What kind of software update? Also, do you know if I am doing any kind of damage to the car when this happens without the update? Thanks
Old 09-18-2004, 09:00 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
MIL (check engine light) could be related to emission & engine. I have to read the owner manual again.

The loose gas cap could be the easy answer.

Otherwise, if you're the early VIN 04TL, you need to get some ECU software/firmware update as Jss1 said above. Your dealer may also have to check your sensors and other devices.
Old 09-19-2004, 02:32 AM
Three Wheelin'

I bought my TL in the first week of august, but when i use the sport shift it turns to 2nd gear automaticly and waaaay tooo soooon probably at 3500-4500 rpm, never seen this come up in the forums. any suggestions?
Old 09-19-2004, 08:26 AM
8th Gear

Thanks Rets, however the fuel cap is not the problem. If it was the fuel cap the engine light would not blink, it would remain on and would remain on for a few days. However, you are the second guy who says it might be a software issue, so I guess I'll be calling Acura and bringing it up with them. Does anybody know if Honda can do this software update?
Old 09-19-2004, 10:40 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by VelfarreClubber
I bought my TL in the first week of august, but when i use the sport shift it turns to 2nd gear automaticly and waaaay tooo soooon probably at 3500-4500 rpm, never seen this come up in the forums. any suggestions?

This is to make sure you don't accidently damage the motor by over reving it. For those of us who have driven manuals in the past, we know how quickly the revs build in first gear. But for those who don't, they may not know to shift quick enough. So, the programming tells the transmission always to shift much sooner than the redline.

If you want to go all the way to redline, you need to floor it, then it will get much closer to redline, before either you shift, or the transmission will shift.

Gatofan
Old 09-19-2004, 02:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

Aaaaah i see, thanks a lot Gator that really helped me. even my buddy that has a manual tsx said it shifts too soon, i'll try flooring it next time to go near red line.
Old 09-19-2004, 02:34 PM
Safety Car

when you are referring to the malfuction lamp do you mean the yellow lamp in the triangle with the "!" sign? this is the VSA lamp and will flash when it is working. i have rev'ed my car up before and let out the clutch at too high an rpm and the VSA will flash trying to adjust for traction.
Old 09-19-2004, 07:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
There are two software patches out for the flashing engine light.....The second patch fixes what the first didn't.....Sounds like a Microsoft product, eh? It has something to do with the engine detecting a misfire when one doesn't exsist. ECM CODES 300,301,305

Adding this new patch can take up to a day to do, as it doesn't always take on the first try (as it did with my TL). I have not experienced any more check engine lights since.
Old 09-21-2004, 08:49 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by caball88
when you are referring to the malfuction lamp do you mean the yellow lamp in the triangle with the "!" sign? this is the VSA lamp and will flash when it is working. i have rev'ed my car up before and let out the clutch at too high an rpm and the VSA will flash trying to adjust for traction.
No I am not referring to the VSA lamp. It's the malfunction lamp I am referring to (it looks like an engine).