seat memory

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2004 | 05:27 AM
Instructor

seat memory

I just had the seat memory module replaced. It seems to be saving the memory settings for now. The only thing I see may be wrong is that the green light is not always lit. Isn't the light suppose to be lit at all times? I think the only time it should go off is if you move your seat from a saved setting postion?
Old 05-10-2004 | 06:21 AM
Team Anthracite Member

I have found that sometimes it is difficult to see in the daylight - very dim.
Try cupping your hand around it and see if you see it then.

Originally Posted by dheel
I just had the seat memory module replaced. It seems to be saving the memory settings for now. The only thing I see may be wrong is that the green light is not always lit. Isn't the light suppose to be lit at all times? I think the only time it should go off is if you move your seat from a saved setting postion?
Old 05-10-2004 | 07:41 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TBone2004
I have found that sometimes it is difficult to see in the daylight - very dim.
Try cupping your hand around it and see if you see it then.

Yeah, I was gonna mention that before. It is sometimes hard to see in sunlight. I checked the light when dark or in garage and still sometimes isn't lit though.
Old 05-10-2004 | 08:44 AM
Administrator

Mine does that sometimes, maybe about 4 times in 3 months now. I have a vin after the tsb cutoff, but sometimes neither light is lit, but I don't lose my seat memory. I have to move the seat a little, then when I press either button it returns to the memory that is set. I told my service manager that someday I will let them put in a new module and he made a note of it on the repair order.

This is one of the conditions mentioned in the tsb.
Old 05-19-2004 | 11:47 AM
Instructor

I still haven't taken it in to get checked yet. Now for some reason the last few days the green light has been staying lit, unless I change the seat position. Now I notice I couldn't set a new memory postion unless I put key in the ignition and turned on or cranked the car. Without turning the ignition, when I push the memory button it didn't beep or anything. I think before I got the new module this didn't happen like this. Aren't you suppose to be able to set memory without turning on ingnition?
Old 05-19-2004 | 11:54 AM
Team Anthracite Member

I just ran out to my car - literally ran cause it is raining - and I pressed my Memory button then #1 and I got the Beep beep beep - No Key was in ignition.

I still haven't taken it in to get checked yet. Now for some reason the last few days the green light has been staying lit, unless I change the seat position. Now I notice I couldn't set a new memory postion unless I put key in the ignition and turned on or cranked the car. Without turning the ignition, when I push the memory button it didn't beep or anything. I think before I got the new module this didn't happen like this. Aren't you suppose to be able to set memory without turning on ingnition?
Old 05-19-2004 | 12:24 PM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

Ron A - Do you have a copy of the TSB? If so, I would LOVE to have a copy of it as well. I wasn't aware of the light issue but do have another concern... In EVERY previous car, the memory buttons would work WHILE the car was in motion. I NEED this feature in this car because the outside mirrors do not automatically dim and A$$holes behind me sometimes leave their bright lights on. In those rare occasions, I used to simply tilt my outside mirrors downward until the offending culprit is gone. Then I simply push the memory #1 button and my mirrors are both returned to the appropriate positions. I could do this on my prior '01 Benz CLK as well as my '97 740iL Beemer. Heck, even my old '95 Ford Explorer could do this. Seems like Acura threw the baby out with the bath water when the "executed" my memory seat TSB. Note: Some may think that operating of memory is unsafe, but that's not really true as anyone can simply stop the movement of the seats simply by pressing ANY seat position button. Having to stop the car in order to return the mirrors to the correct postion is not a viable alternative and trying to get the mirrors "back to where they belong" while driving is DANGERIOUS as it can take you eyes off the road directly in front of you while you adjust the mirrors. Does the TSB say anything about this design flaw?
Old 05-19-2004 | 01:29 PM
Racer

ndabunka,
I have a copyof the TSB for the seat memory issue. PM me you email address and I will send it to you.
Old 05-19-2004 | 01:33 PM
Moderator Alumnus

I have replaced the Seat Memory Module, too. But, the green light is not always ON, especially I move my gears from P to R. This did also happen to my old module.

Occasionally, the green light won't be lit when my gear is at D, but the memory is still there. After I shift gears or restart the engine, the green light is lit again.
:o
Old 05-19-2004 | 01:34 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Arrow Tsb 04-005.

http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showp...18&postcount=6
Old 05-19-2004 | 01:42 PM
Administrator

If you change the seat position, the green light will not be lit on either siwtch.
It will come on again when you press either button.

Mine still loses the light sometime but not the memory, and I will get the module replaced on of these days.

You may not agree with it, and I don't either, but the trans has to be in park for the memory position to work, because of the safety issue. Let's say you are 6'4" tall and have the seat adjusted way back, and you take it in for service or the valet parks it and he is 5'2" tall, and if he hits the button at the wrong time he won't be able to touch any pedals with his feet. My 87 Olds 98 came that way, and I moved the memory seat wire from the park position to the hot position on the neutral safety switch. May do that to this car someday. Actually, Acura calls it the Transmission Gear Selection Switch, and it is on the console near the gear lever, so it might be simple to access and change the connection.

I have a copy of the TSB, but while I was trying to figure out how to get it to you, cullal kindly replied, so I will let him take care of it.
Old 05-19-2004 | 01:44 PM
Administrator

Thank you, rets, as usual. I knew that you had posted a picture of the TSB, but the search doesn't go back that far so I figured you would catch this thread and put the picture in. I will make a note of it in case you are on vacation next time it comes up.
Old 05-19-2004 | 02:20 PM
Racer

I think when you start the engine with the driver's door open, then the green light will not be lit. Also, I think is you open your door without turning off the engine, the light will go out as well. I'll have to double check tonight, but I'm pretty sure of these two situations.
Old 05-19-2004 | 02:21 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TBone2004
I just ran out to my car - literally ran cause it is raining - and I pressed my Memory button then #1 and I got the Beep beep beep - No Key was in ignition.
Also I noticed the green light would be on, I would adjust the lumbar which should make the light go off. When I did this the light stayed on for a bit then as I kept adjusting the lumbar the light would go off, then back on. Strange!
Old 05-19-2004 | 02:29 PM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

Ron A - I am familiar with Acura's "safety" line but that's simply bogus. The Beemer and the Benz and the Volvo and the... all allow memory operation when not in park. The issue of someone "mistakenly" activating the settings is also bogus because anyone at any time can simply push any one of the seat buttons to stop any action. I don't agree but I am also old enough to understand the definition of futility.....
Old 05-19-2004 | 02:38 PM
Administrator

Also I noticed the green light would be on, I would adjust the lumbar which should make the light go off. When I did this the light stayed on for a bit then as I kept adjusting the lumbar the light would go off, then back on. Strange!
The lumbar doesn't affect the seat memory buttons, and also is not retained in the memory settings. Someone replied recently that the lumbar adjustment is just a motor pumping air and not a pulsed motor, so there is nothing to remember.
Old 05-19-2004 | 02:48 PM
the Budman

Originally Posted by Ron A
Thank you, rets, as usual. I knew that you had posted a picture of the TSB, but the search doesn't go back that far so I figured you would catch this thread and put the picture in. I will make a note of it in case you are on vacation next time it comes up.
Ron, since you posted the original TSB, where did this come from? If I do a search on TSB, I get a million hits here. Can you point me to the place/site you pulled the TSB from? I'd like to subscribe (if possible) or keep tabs on the TSBs. Thanks!
Old 05-19-2004 | 03:41 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ron A
The lumbar doesn't affect the seat memory buttons, and also is not retained in the memory settings. Someone replied recently that the lumbar adjustment is just a motor pumping air and not a pulsed motor, so there is nothing to remember.

The lumbar when adjusting did cause my green light to flick on and off though for some odd reason?
Old 05-19-2004 | 03:48 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by budman
Ron, since you posted the original TSB, where did this come from? If I do a search on TSB, I get a million hits here. Can you point me to the place/site you pulled the TSB from? I'd like to subscribe (if possible) or keep tabs on the TSBs. Thanks!
rets actually posted the picture of the tsb. I still don't know how to do pictures and will probably never learn. There are a couple of sites for tsb's, and I think rets may be able to help here too. I got my copy from someone by email and printed it out.

The government site only lists safety related tsb’s, if I remember correctly, and didn’t list any for the 2004 TL the last time I looked. Here’s a link to Alldata, but there is nothing on the TL there http://www.alldata.com/recalls/

The lumbar when adjusting did cause my green light to flick on and off though for some odd reason?
Yes, mine too, but you had to play with it for a while to make it happen. Must be some stray electrical signals causing it, but it doesn’t affect the memory settings.
Old 05-19-2004 | 04:13 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Exclamation

I received my TSBs from other members by email, too. In this thread, http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75525, I always pointed out who provided these TSBs related info to me. Thanks Lore and cblackburn. They seemed to obtained from their dealers. Some dealership is willing to offer these copies to you if customers do request.

BTW, the Internet TSB links are not providing the info as detailed as Acura dealership. Most of them are useless or not-up-to-date...

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/pr.../tsbsearch.cfm

http://www.alldata.com/recalls/

:o