3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Searching for first TL, can mileage be too LOW?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2021, 12:14 PM
Intermediate

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts
Searching for first TL, can mileage be too LOW?

Hi all, noob here/ first post so thanks in advance. Started searching for a TL Type-S around CT. Have not previously owned an Acura but have been researching on this forum. Going to look at one tomorrow with 40K miles, very clean, 5AT, second owner has maintained it (brakes, tires, trans flush) but has only driven 2K in last three years. He bought it from the proverbial "old lady" first owner who apparently did the timing belt service at the dealer for age not mileage. He's asking good money for it, but I plan to get it inspected etc before purchase.

So here's the thing: I'm buying a TL to drive it. Lots of owners on this forum clearly have high miles on their cars if maintenance is kept up. Are the low miles on this car and its lack of regular use something I should be concerned about? Sitting is not good for cars, so I fear paying top dollar and then having to replace suspension, transmission, and other original components once they start getting real-world use again.

I've got my list of TL weak points like the trans pressure switches. Any perspective from your ownership or buying experiences, especially re: the low miles, is much appreciated. Thanks again.
Old 04-23-2021, 12:16 PM
Intermediate

Edit: It's a 2007. Grey TL Type-S 5AT with 40K miles
Old 04-23-2021, 12:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,692 Likes on 1,307 Posts
Type S received a robust transmission as a modified version from RL, as far as mileage concern. My 124k miles TL drove much better than it left the lot back in 2010 with 50k miles, its maintenance that matter.... The biggest ticket item for these car are timing belt and water pump, not like they are 100% unusable but it could be a great leverage tool in the bargain process. Be ready to bid with other people as this is the trend for the Type S.

Make sure check all the maintenance records, if you could find where it got serviced in the past call those dealer and you will get a better picture. I would suggest you bring it to a reputable Acura dealer in the area to have them do a PPI (Pre-Purchase Inspection right around $165), they would tell you 90% of the car overall condition. I buy car base on facts and records not based on story.... I could careless if the car previous owner is a famous doctor/ lawyer. Yet every single service claimed by the seller better provided with document unless he/she willing to re-negotiate pricing.

At your mileage you are looking at coolant flush including radiator, Auto trans fluid replacement, cabin air filter replacement, brake fluid flush, A/C freeon checked, alignment, check tires for date stamp. LCA bushing if those still original.

Word of advice don't buy this car for daily driven as the depreciation will hit you faster than a international space station (unless you don't care about that). if you buy this as a garage queen then I would say go for it

What part of CT you are from? I used to be in the Avon area.

The following 2 users liked this post by truonghthe:
Acura TL Builder (04-23-2021), Slpr04UA6 (04-23-2021)
Old 04-23-2021, 01:29 PM
Latent car nut

Received 2,017 Likes on 1,414 Posts
One final comment; don't overpay for the car; you're looking at a Type-S automatic which has far greater availability (compared to the 6MT models), even for low(ish) mileage like the one you're looking at. If you are reluctant to share with us the asking price of the car, at least check around to see what other creampuff Type-S cars have sold for in the last year or so.
The following users liked this post:
Slpr04UA6 (04-23-2021)
Old 04-23-2021, 03:57 PM
Intermediate

Thank you both for your responses, very helpful to hear. Owner is asking $18.5 for it based on miles, immaculate condition inside and out, plus timing belt and all other maintenance done. Of course, I will verify that as much as I can. Inspection by Acura dealer is a good idea, was planning to do my shop but they don't have as good access to dealer info.

This may sound strange but I'm actually cross shopping with CPO Mazda6s, which are around $20K. I prefer more analog cars, and greater performance, which is why the 5AT Type-S is appealing. A 6MT Type-S would definitely be a garage queen. This car I would commute in it some of the time, and keep it for many years, so deprecation is less of a concern. What I want to avoid is paying top dollar for this example and then spending $5K on replacing old original parts right away.

Any further insights much appreciated. truonghthe I'm in Norwalk, didn't grow up in CT but love it here!
Old 04-23-2021, 04:05 PM
-------Tim-------

Received 609 Likes on 513 Posts
To me that’s kinda high of a price. It’s an ‘07 5AT. I would cross shop other 5AT type-s that have sold around you. I think the highest I would pay would be 13K. Only because it’s very clean inside and out. Like others have said, if maintained, mileage is just a number, it is nice to have low mileage, but that doesn’t command (in my opinion) that high of a price. If it was 6MT, I could see the seller asking that. But it’s up to you. The 3G TL is a timeless design, and wonderful car for highway commuting and around town. Good Luck and keep us posted how everything goes....
The following 2 users liked this post by Slpr04UA6:
Acura TL Builder (04-23-2021), sweeT n Lo (04-26-2021)
Old 04-23-2021, 04:10 PM
Latent car nut

Originally Posted by Slpr04UA6
To me that’s kinda high of a price. It’s an ‘07 5AT. I would cross shop other 5AT type-s that have sold around you. I think the highest I would pay would be 13K. Only because it’s very clean inside and out. Like others have said, if maintained, mileage is just a number, it is nice to have low mileage, but that doesn’t command (in my opinion) that high of a price. If it was 6MT, I could see the seller asking that. But it’s up to you. The 3G TL is a timeless design, and wonderful car for highway commuting and around town. Good Luck and keep us posted how everything goes....
^This!

If the car was a 6MT then maybe it can fetch that price; even then it is doubtful. For a 5AT, ain't gonna happen unless the owner finds someone completely uneducated about the value of these cars. I also agree with @Slpr04UA6 on a good valuation for the car, $13,000 would be a a high, bot reasonably "fair" price.
Slpr04UA6 (04-23-2021)
Old 04-23-2021, 04:48 PM
Intermediate

Thank you, that makes sense. I do see a couple nice 6MT Type-Ss in my area asking $16-18K, good condition and maintenance but ~100K miles. I'd rather spend that money on a 6MT but wouldn't want to subject it (or my left leg) to an NYC commute. As someone who does not own a Type-S, and has looked at many car ads over the past year, we're entering an interesting period for any timeless 90s-00s performance cars. People are starting to realize that new cars won't ever again be as rewarding to drive *and own* as the ones built 10-20 years back. That includes sellers. I highly doubt this owner would go down to $13K since he "doesn't need to sell" but will first establish if I really want the car. Never driven a Type-S before. Thanks for looking out. Will report back!
Acura TL Builder (04-23-2021)
Old 04-23-2021, 05:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 493 Likes on 375 Posts
At that money it might be better to buy higher mileage car and put money to make it look better.

For example freshly re-done seats will look better than ultra low mileage 13 year old leather.
Old 04-23-2021, 05:58 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts
I am far from one to price bash or devalue the 3rd gen TL, even I would agree 18K for an automatic TL-S is high. 15K is more realistic due to the mileage as long as the car is mint. Additional things like A-spec kit makes the deal even better. I know some don't want to accept it, but the value of certain 3rd gens are going up.
Slpr04UA6 (04-24-2021)
Old 04-23-2021, 06:07 PM
Pro

Received 161 Likes on 118 Posts
Originally Posted by 04WDPSeDaN
I am far from one to price bash or devalue the 3rd gen TL, even I would agree 18K for an automatic TL-S is high. 15K is more realistic due to the mileage as long as the car is mint. Additional things like A-spec kit makes the deal even better. I know some don't want to accept it, but the value of certain 3rd gens are going up.
I hope so, having a 6mt myself!
04WDPSeDaN (04-23-2021)
Old 04-23-2021, 06:32 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by jeffstlnote
I hope so, having a 6mt myself!

The Type-s 6MT always sell higher, as long as all the boxes are checked.
Old 04-23-2021, 07:05 PM
Pro

Received 161 Likes on 118 Posts
Originally Posted by 04WDPSeDaN
The Type-s 6MT always sell higher, as long as all the boxes are checked.
Bought it for $10,500 last October with 118,5xx, has 119, 356 as of today. Doing this next week...I guess I'm not sure it's ALL OEM, as I think Yamada is now the water pump, and not sure on the belt, my 07 5AT has had the mitsuboshi belt since it was changed at 102,000 (has 179,800 now) But confident in the Koyo's. Not pictured is the THH-009 Aisin Thermostat that will be put in as well. Any other work recommended on the 08?

Last edited by jeffstlnote; 04-23-2021 at 07:10 PM.
horseshoez (04-23-2021)
Old 04-24-2021, 11:19 AM
Suzuka Master

OP after as a TL enthusiasts (or idiot as I am) the car seem to be in a very good shape despite the low mileage. Despite the full A-spec lip kit (which is now rare) and low mileage (38,500) I would say $14k-$15K is more realistic number because it is an auto. If the color was a KBP, MRP with two tone seat then I can see why owner asking for that much, I would give a reasonable offer to the seller and explain to him/her why you come up with that number and the worst thing they can say is no.

Don't be that one guy "I offered you $7k because its a 14 years old car" or "Kelly Blue Book value it at $8k". Every time people tell me thing like that I always reply the same "why you don't purchase a ideal car from KBB"

I investigated history of the car and you will be surprise this is garage queen vehicle as it started life in the state of CO then the current owner bought from an Audi dealership in CO. Previous owner had treated the car very well so I am expecting a clean bill of health from your shop.

What small world it is as my MRP (red) TL originate from Devan Acura of Norwalk lol.

For those who wondering about Type S 6MT value status. Yes the price has climbed couple thousand of dollars since the beginning of COVID, I remember seeing them avg about $8k - $10K and there are about 5-10 ads national wide. Fast forward today they are only less than five listed and majority of them are in NBP (no pun intended). I think the problem is that most Type S MT owner won't let go of the car unless they been offered a hefty premium price, this has been contribute to the demand and driving up the value.

Type S MT are rare to came across much less the idea color combo and here how I rated from my experience of shopping for a 6MT Type S. When I shopping for a Type S manual it not that I can't get one, the REAL problem is that I want a specific exterior color (KBP and MRP which the top two rarest color and even worst in MT) with a very specific interior color (Ebony/Silver aka two tone seat). If any other color wouldn't be a problem i would had a Type S MT a long time ago.

Ebony/Silver interior (two tone seat)

1st place
Kinetic Blue Pearl (just because this color is exclusive for Type S trim)

2nd place
Morrocan Red Pearl (in my book this color in Type S trim even rarer than KBP)

3rd place
White Diamond Pearl

4th place
Carbon Bronze Pearl

5th place
Nighthawk Black Pearl

6th place
ASM (silver)

Last edited by truonghthe; 04-24-2021 at 11:21 AM.
The following 7 users liked this post by truonghthe:
04WDPSeDaN (04-25-2021), Acura TL Builder (04-24-2021), DMZ (04-25-2021), nist7 (04-25-2021), Pair of TLs (04-24-2021), Slpr04UA6 (04-24-2021), sweeT n Lo (04-26-2021) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-24-2021, 04:31 PM
Safety Car

Received 856 Likes on 704 Posts
Love the love you have for 3G
Old 04-24-2021, 05:14 PM
Intermediate

OP here reporting back after test driving the low mile Type S in question. It is indeed an immaculate car, only two very minor paint flaws and that's truly it. It was basically like going to an Acura dealer in 2009 and looking at a CPO car. Very nice owner, knows what he has, not willing to budge much on price, but he let me take it for a proper test drive. Pulls hard, shifts are relatively quick, flappy paddles work, brakes are excellent, A/C works, no pronounced ticking from engine, no mechanical issues I could detect. Nearly new brakes and Michelin tires. I plan to work with the seller and my shop in Norwalk to have it inspected. Only things on my mind are:

1. Seat comfort. I am 6'2" but have abnormally long thighs. Type-S seat has all the adjustability I need, and goes back far enough, but the seat bottom cushion is about 3 inches too short. It supports my legs but not all of them, so I couldn't relax completely while driving. But, I was getting used to the car and may adjust. Honestly it's a Japanese car thing. Many Volvos, Audis, Mercedes etc have longer seat bottoms that are more supportive for me. But I've learned that maintaining a German car is not worth it!

2. Automatic transmission performance. I pushed it as far as I was comfortable pushing someone else's car. Going into a corner at speed, trying to brake and then accelerate out of the corner smoothly felt a little awkward. Hard to know what the transmission was doing. Didn't feel like it was downshifting on its own, gas pedal stayed "soft" (low revs) until I got on it again and it kicked down. Front suspension felt a little unhappy in that moment when my foot was moving from brake back to gas. Car did not feel light on its feet, but its a heavy FWD car. Does this sound about right for a 5AT? I am completely used to driving manual, so I may just need to adjust. Never driven a 6MT Type S, but I'm specifically looking for an auto for times when I must commute. Not buying this as a track car, I have a manual '97 Celica for that!

truonghthe thank you again for your perspective, and for looking up the car. That is the one. It really is in very good shape. Not looking to overpay but it feels like the Type-S market is moving up. Inspection will hopefully tell if there is major work that needs doing, such as front suspension bushings, oil leaks, etc. Not looking to pay top dollar and then put $5K into it - which is why I started this thread! If everything checks out and I can confirm the timing belt service, then I'll have a decision to make about how much a "basically new" Type-S is worth to me. The idea of having a performance sedan that meets all my needs and will last as long as I want to maintain it is very appealing. I understand your color preference (MRP looks incredible) but the metallic grey of this car is quite nice in person and might actually help me drive it instead of just keeping it in the garage all the time lol Cool that yours was sold new a few miles from me - small world indeed.
The following 5 users liked this post by 20dreamcars:
Acura TL Builder (04-24-2021), nist7 (04-25-2021), Pair of TLs (04-24-2021), sweeT n Lo (04-26-2021), TLRoadto300k (04-26-2021)
Old 04-24-2021, 07:21 PM
Latent car nut

@20dreamcars, I strongly suggest you do not drive a TL with a 6MT, that transmission shifts so well it is almost worth the price of admission by itself. Then there is the fact only the 6MT models have a mechanical LSD which may well remediate the vagueness you felt in the front end when accelerating in a curve. If you drive one you may never look at the automatic model the same again. FWIW, I commuted in NYC traffic for nearly ten years, first with a VR6 Passat GLX 5-Speed, then a 328i 5-Speed, and then a 530i 5-Speed, can't say I ever wished for an automatic, even in the worst of the traffic I encountered.
The following 2 users liked this post by horseshoez:
Acura TL Builder (04-24-2021), nist7 (04-25-2021)
Old 04-24-2021, 07:45 PM
Intermediate

@horseshoez that is a fine selection of past commuter cars! Your comment is having a "reverse psychology" effect on me, now I feel like I must drive a 6MT before I can make this decision. My fear is that loving a 6MT Type-S, then buying one in a great color like Kinetic Blue Pearl, would flip all this around and I'd end up making it a fun car/ show car instead of the practical family performance vehicle I need.

BTW for three years I commuted 60 miles round trip in LA traffic in a '98 Volvo S70 T5M, which had a heavy clutch from the Euro 'R' model installed. But I was younger then...
horseshoez (04-24-2021)
Old 04-24-2021, 08:39 PM
Safety Car

6MT is an amazing thing. Having all the 3G autos and about to have all 6MT 3Gs, Personally, 6MT takes the cake. But I’m younger and have a bias towards 6MT, like Horseshoez even in the worst of traffic.

Though, the auto is the perfect cruiser. Purrs softly and shifts gracefully. So if your looking for daily commuter, it seems that Auto is just what your looking for.
Old 04-24-2021, 09:08 PM
Latent car nut

Originally Posted by Acura TL Builder
6MT is an amazing thing. Having all the 3G autos and about to have all 6MT 3Gs, Personally, 6MT takes the cake. But I’m younger and have a bias towards 6MT, like Horseshoez even in the worst of traffic.

Though, the auto is the perfect cruiser. Purrs softly and shifts gracefully. So if your looking for daily commuter, it seems that Auto is just what your looking for.
I guess I'm just broken, I'm old and have a decided bias towards 6MT.
DMZ (04-25-2021)
Old 04-24-2021, 09:15 PM
Safety Car

Me and you both!

For the moments when you can truly use the 6MT, putting up with sitting in traffic is more than worth it.

Last edited by Acura TL Builder; 04-24-2021 at 09:18 PM.
Old 04-25-2021, 09:35 AM
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts
Here's another option that just popped up in NY:
https://acurazine.com/forums/market/993739

If you want to take the ride to southeast CT you can drive my 6MT to help make a choice.
sweeT n Lo (04-26-2021)
Old 04-25-2021, 09:53 AM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Crazy how a 3rd gen type S can be worth just as much if not more then 4th gen even the SH AWD versions. You guys think 3rd gens will ever become a classic? Also post covid car prices in general used or new is nuts. I wonder when or if these prices will start going down.
Old 04-25-2021, 10:26 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by truonghthe

For those who wondering about Type S 6MT value status. Yes the price has climbed couple thousand of dollars since the beginning of COVID, I remember seeing them avg about $8k - $10K and there are about 5-10 ads national wide. Fast forward today they are only less than five listed and majority of them are in NBP (no pun intended). I think the problem is that most Type S MT owner won't let go of the car unless they been offered a hefty premium price, this has been contribute to the demand and driving up the value.
No kidding, I remember seeing <$7k for a 100k clean title 6MT in good condition. Prices are higher now even for salvage title cars. I recently saw an insurance auction with a final bid of over $7k for a Type S CBP 100K 6MT with "flood" damage. Crazy.

Old 04-25-2021, 10:57 AM
Latent car nut

Yeah, car prices right now are crazy, and with no real end in sight. I took a new job this week, one which comes along with a 60% bump in income (and I've been doing quite well in my current gig so that's saying something). My son, a chip-off-the-old-block from a car perspective was all over that like shine on a polyester disco shirt from the late 1970s. "So Dad," he said last night, "I've been thinking about your next car..."

Per my son, I should have Mom sell her 2016 Mazda3 s GT 5-Door 6MT and take over my 2006 TL 6MT. For the duration at least, we don't need a second car because she's semi-retired and I work from home and will continue to do so with my new job, errr, when I'm not traveling (which will be upwards of 26 weeks per year once the COVID thing is over), and then I should consider the following for my short list:
  • 2007-2008 TL Type-S 6MT in primo condition, even if I have to pay over $15,000 for it
  • 2022 VW Golf R in the signature "R" Blue color, with a 6MT of course
  • 2022 Porsche 718 Cayman 6MT or maybe a Cayman S
  • 2018 BMW 340i 6MT
  • Any vintage S2000 in top condition with low miles and bone stock
  • Any vintage BMW E28 M5 in clean condition (but these are getting a tad pricy)
  • 1994-1995 BMW E34 M5 in clean condition (probably the pricing sweet spot for M5s these days)
  • Any vintage BMW E39 M5 in clean condition
I've been laughing ever since the call, he is soooo concerned I'm going to do something "stupid" like buy a Genesis G80 (that'll be a cold day in hell for me), so he just wants to make sure my priorities are well sorted before the new money starts rolling in next month.
The following 3 users liked this post by horseshoez:
Acura TL Builder (04-25-2021), nist7 (04-25-2021), sockr1 (04-26-2021)
Old 04-25-2021, 12:08 PM
Intermediate

@860_TypeS Love the look of that KBP 5AT, thanks for for sending. Also like the maintenance and price point but I fear the mods (especially coilovers and larger wheels) would make the car less comfortable for trips and commutes. Perhaps I will reach out to that seller if this low mileage 5AT does not pan out. And thanks for the drive offer, that's very kind. I think I'm going to take @horseshoez' advice and not cross the streams here Gotta keep my Celica in the "fun manual car" spot for the next while. But if I do get a Type-S we should do a CT meet up!

@horseshoez sounds like you're in an enviable spot -- your son cares about analog cars with three pedals! Sounds like my sons are younger than yours, but they are not shy with their purchasing suggestions either (a Plymouth Superbird was the most recent lol). You have a fine list there for when the time comes, my personal favorite would be the E28 M5, or actually a 535is because it comes in colors other than black! All E28 prices seem to be following E30 M3s but as one of the most *durable* BMWs they hold a special distinction.

As for Type-S prices, I think they are just getting swept upward in a world where new cars have too much tech and are therefore less desirable (and more expensive) to own. I don't see prices ever reversing for desirable low mileage 90s-00s cars, at least not before oil runs out. I'm keen on this 5AT Type-S, will see about the inspection, the only thing holding me back is that short seat bottom cushion. Has anyone installed modern Recaros in the Type-S? Or do airbags and other tech make it prohibitively complicated? I put a Recaro in my Celica and it solved the driving position, but my Celica barely has airbags lol.
Old 04-25-2021, 12:23 PM
Latent car nut

@20dreamcars, my son is 27, a Navy veteran (he left as a GE F414 specialist/Plane Captain as an AD2 if that means anything to you), and a total gear head.

Regarding the E28, there was a sparkling example on the block just a few weeks ago with something like 30,000 miles on the clock; what was special about this particular car was, instead of the kind of standard Black paint and "Saddle" colored leather interior, it was bright Red with a Black interior. If I recall correctly, it sold for roughly $60,000.

Old 04-25-2021, 01:21 PM
Intermediate

@horseshoez You must be very proud of him! I am a fan of naval aviation - great to see the F4U in your profile pic. My older son is 9 but off to a solid start in the gear head department. That M5 sounds like a dream E28 - red/black beats black/tan any day in my book.
horseshoez (04-25-2021)
Old 04-25-2021, 01:46 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by TLRoadto300k
Crazy how a 3rd gen type S can be worth just as much if not more then 4th gen even the SH AWD versions. You guys think 3rd gens will ever become a classic? Also post covid car prices in general used or new is nuts. I wonder when or if these prices will start going down.
Yes, They will be classics.

Read this again in 20 years and thank me.
The following 2 users liked this post by Acura TL Builder:
04WDPSeDaN (04-25-2021), TLRoadto300k (04-25-2021)
Old 04-25-2021, 01:49 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by horseshoez
Yeah, car prices right now are crazy, and with no real end in sight. I took a new job this week, one which comes along with a 60% bump in income (and I've been doing quite well in my current gig so that's saying something). My son, a chip-off-the-old-block from a car perspective was all over that like shine on a polyester disco shirt from the late 1970s. "So Dad," he said last night, "I've been thinking about your next car..."

Per my son, I should have Mom sell her 2016 Mazda3 s GT 5-Door 6MT and take over my 2006 TL 6MT. For the duration at least, we don't need a second car because she's semi-retired and I work from home and will continue to do so with my new job, errr, when I'm not traveling (which will be upwards of 26 weeks per year once the COVID thing is over), and then I should consider the following for my short list:
  • 2007-2008 TL Type-S 6MT in primo condition, even if I have to pay over $15,000 for it
  • 2018 BMW 340i 6MT
  • 1994-1995 BMW E34 M5 in clean condition (probably the pricing sweet spot for M5s these days)
I've been laughing ever since the call, he is soooo concerned I'm going to do something "stupid" like buy a Genesis G80 (that'll be a cold day in hell for me), so he just wants to make sure my priorities are well sorted before the new money starts rolling in next month.
Horseshoez, We both know which one to buy.

Congrats on the new job!
horseshoez (04-25-2021)
Old 04-25-2021, 10:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by 20dreamcars
1. Seat comfort. I am 6'2" but have abnormally long thighs. Type-S seat has all the adjustability I need, and goes back far enough, but the seat bottom cushion is about 3 inches too short. It supports my legs but not all of them, so I couldn't relax completely while driving. But, I was getting used to the car and may adjust. Honestly it's a Japanese car thing. Many Volvos, Audis, Mercedes etc have longer seat bottoms that are more supportive for me. But I've learned that maintaining a German car is not worth it!

2. Automatic transmission performance. I pushed it as far as I was comfortable pushing someone else's car. Going into a corner at speed, trying to brake and then accelerate out of the corner smoothly felt a little awkward. Hard to know what the transmission was doing. Didn't feel like it was downshifting on its own, gas pedal stayed "soft" (low revs) until I got on it again and it kicked down. Front suspension felt a little unhappy in that moment when my foot was moving from brake back to gas. Car did not feel light on its feet, but its a heavy FWD car. Does this sound about right for a 5AT? I am completely used to driving manual, so I may just need to adjust. Never driven a 6MT Type S, but I'm specifically looking for an auto for times when I must commute. Not buying this as a track car, I have a manual '97 Celica for that!

truonghthe thank you again for your perspective, and for looking up the car. That is the one. It really is in very good shape. Not looking to overpay but it feels like the Type-S market is moving up. Inspection will hopefully tell if there is major work that needs doing, such as front suspension bushings, oil leaks, etc. Not looking to pay top dollar and then put $5K into it - which is why I started this thread! If everything checks out and I can confirm the timing belt service, then I'll have a decision to make about how much a "basically new" Type-S is worth to me. The idea of having a performance sedan that meets all my needs and will last as long as I want to maintain it is very appealing. I understand your color preference (MRP looks incredible) but the metallic grey of this car is quite nice in person and might actually help me drive it instead of just keeping it in the garage all the time lol Cool that yours was sold new a few miles from me - small world indeed.

The piece you refer to as leg extension and to my knowledge Japanese brand only has that is Infiniti and recently 1st gen TLX Advance and A-spec trim. Euro vehicle has those way back in the mid 90s, but the TL isn't anything terrible as described. The complain about the cornering might be contribute to LCA bushing I was told you about, every single of my TL purchase it was the first service I had to do. Also the car might have aftermarket struts up front (I might ask the seller more). The auto slush box in TL isn't exactly your Aisin 8 spd or ZF8 so expect delay but it still response better than the ZF9 lol.

I would not worry about low rev issue as the car learn the driver habit of throttle input, once you perform a soft reset the car actually rev happy. When I used to live in the hill of the NW CT I found the grade logic in the Type S are annoying as hell, they keep the rev high and when I apply light throttle after coasting down hill, bam the car with firm shifting into next gear. As you wondering how the MT compare to AT? MT power delivery is much more linear and readily available.

I can press the gas pedal in 6th gear and the car will accelerate as I was in 4th in the auto, the MT has closer gear ratio than AT. I understand you wanted AT and it not a bad thing, I would say if everything check out this CPB will fill your need. These Type S will become classic because the timeless design and it got a perfect mix between mechanical and electronic when comparing to modern vehicle.

Drive feeling is another factor as well, honestly I don' think the TLX Type S will have the sale figure of 3G TL Type S.

Acura TL Builder (04-25-2021)
Old 04-25-2021, 10:48 PM
Safety Car

Grade logic is so annoying! Is there a way to turn it off? I read it uses a fluid to know if its on a hill or not. What if we took the bubble out of that mechanism, or drained the fluid/unplugged it on our autos?
Old 04-26-2021, 10:14 AM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 20dreamcars
OP here reporting back after test driving the low mile Type S in question. It is indeed an immaculate car, only two very minor paint flaws and that's truly it. It was basically like going to an Acura dealer in 2009 and looking at a CPO car. Very nice owner, knows what he has, not willing to budge much on price, but he let me take it for a proper test drive. Pulls hard, shifts are relatively quick, flappy paddles work, brakes are excellent, A/C works, no pronounced ticking from engine, no mechanical issues I could detect. Nearly new brakes and Michelin tires. I plan to work with the seller and my shop in Norwalk to have it inspected. Only things on my mind are:

I also have a manual 97 celica. One thing I like about my celica is its also very roomy. Defintley not a track car though for me lol. Currently using it as a grocery getter/ running errands. Also sadly it's the ST with the underpowered 1.8 rolla motor. It was my daily but I couldn't daily it anymore because it was to much of a dog on the highway. On the street it's fine because it's the opposite of a honda motor lol it hits peak power immediately then dies off.

Still like the go kart feel and the ability to slam through gears.
Old 04-26-2021, 11:03 AM
8th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi Dylan, I tried responding to your private message but your mailbox was full. Below is my response:

My name is Jim. The transmission is in great shape. I do a transmission drain and fill every second oil change. The pressure switches have been done as well. Shifts perfectly and drives as new.

The coilovers are set to almost full soft for comfort. I made sure to get 45 series tires as well to make sure there was ample sidewall for a nice ride. It is better than you would think considering. I am also one to baby my cars, maybe too much as I only put about 5000 miles a year on this and always have it garaged.

This is a great example of a TL with no issues. I would be confident driving it another 80K miles without a thought.

I do own rental properties and need to haul materials frequently. This makes me end up driving my 4runner almost every day. I also refuse to park the TL outside so it takes up half the garage and I usually only drive it once a week. between all this, my first child and going back for an MBA in the fall I can see that I really wont have time to enjoy it anymore.

The buffalo airport is a pretty easy flight from NYC, or if you would rather drive? I work directly across the street from the airport and would be happy to pick you up and have you take a test drive or look it over.

I am also flexible on the price.

-Jim
The following 2 users liked this post by jim1234664:
Acura TL Builder (04-26-2021), sweeT n Lo (04-26-2021)
Old 04-26-2021, 12:11 PM
Intermediate

@TLRoadto300k That's cool you have a '97 Celica – Mine is also an ST! Talk about doing a lot with a little lol. I have bigger injectors, colder plugs, eBay headers and exhaust which improved the power band. Maybe I have like 105 hp now But with suspension mods I have done, it is more about learning car control at the occasional autox. It's a pretty neutral car, go kart like you say. I'll be driving the big track at Lime Rock in a few weeks, that's a life goal to experience - but I'm also expecting to 'point by' every other car on the straightaway

@jim1234664 Thank you for finding the thread and replying to me here regarding your Type-S for sale! Seems my Acurazine mailbox can only save 2 messages, don't know how to change that. I'll use one of them to send you my email and we can communicate further that way. Your TL sounds very well cared for and in need of a good home, wish I could do a "quick" drive over to compare with the low mileage one I checked out over the weekend. Thanks again for the info and offer to facilitate pickup. Talk soon.
TLRoadto300k (04-26-2021)
Old 04-26-2021, 02:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 150 Posts

• 2018 BMW 340i 6MT
I happen to be fortunate to be able to have 2 checkmarks on your list.

Quite a range in prices there but in the bang for your buck category the E39 would be my vote. The E28's are on a crazy ascent for anything decent and sadly the E39 are already there, again for decent miles and records. Dont think any choice on there would be a wrong one.
horseshoez (04-26-2021)
Old 04-26-2021, 03:22 PM
Latent car nut

@08KBP_VA, did you mean to write:
  • Quite a range in prices there but in the bang for your buck category the E34 would be my vote.

Or are you sticking with:
  • Quite a range in prices there but in the bang for your buck category the E39 would be my vote.
Old 04-26-2021, 03:55 PM
Burning Brakes

@08KBP_VA, did you mean to write:
  • Quite a range in prices there but in the bang for your buck category the E34 would be my vote.

Or are you sticking with:
  • Quite a range in prices there but in the bang for your buck category the E39 would be my vote.
The E39 is my vote. Not a fan of the design of e34 and dont think it will reach the level of e28 or e39 in terms of price or collectability unless you find a true rare bird like an e34 M5 estate.
horseshoez (04-26-2021)
Old 04-26-2021, 04:04 PM
Latent car nut

Back in 2002 my wife and I did a European Delivery trip and picked up my (then) new 530i, 5-Speed, Xenon, Premium Audio, Premium Package, and Sport Package; I still miss that car.

Buying an E39 M5 would be a serious blast from the past.
Old 04-29-2021, 02:48 PM
Burning Brakes

Back in 2002 my wife and I did a European Delivery trip and picked up my (then) new 530i, 5-Speed, Xenon, Premium Audio, Premium Package, and Sport Package; I still miss that car.

Buying an E39 M5 would be a serious blast from the past.
If you lived closer I'd let you relive that and wet your appetite with a drive
horseshoez (04-29-2021)

Quick Reply: Searching for first TL, can mileage be too LOW?