Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Screw Hole Covers for front plate

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2005, 11:40 AM
Cold Racketeer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Screw Hole Covers for front plate

I have a WDP TL and since I took the front plate off there are these big black holes in the front bumper. I looked at some of the WDP here though and it looks like there are covers that can pop in there that are painted the car color. Do I have those hidden in my new car somewhere or do I need to ask the dealer? Or are they not even available?
Old 09-19-2005, 11:51 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I believe Acura's term for them is "bumper plugs". Your dealer should have plenty as they remove them (and usually discard them - although it would be nice if they put them in the glove box) to install the license plate frame.

I went back to my dealer and they pulled a set from a car that was being prep'ed that day.
Old 09-19-2005, 11:53 AM
Cold Racketeer

Thanks good to know. I'm taking my TL in tomorrow anyway to get my aspec front lip fit better.
Old 09-19-2005, 11:57 AM
Shift_faster

Check the glove box, or the trunk. If the bumper plugs are not there, ask the dealer for them. They should've given them to you.
Old 09-19-2005, 01:17 PM
Administrator

Received 1,003 Likes on 573 Posts
Check out these threads from the 3G Garage.

E-031: Plugs for license plate screw holes
https://acurazine.com/forums/ramblings-12/homoglation-def-85331/
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86239
Old 09-19-2005, 04:08 PM
Cold Racketeer

Thank you Ron. Guess what? From reading another thread I just learned my dealer also took it upon themselves to drill the top hole in my bumper I assumed was "normal" So now I have 3 big holes lol...

This is the same dealer who installed my aspec front lip last week with big gaps between it and the car.
Old 09-20-2005, 02:38 PM
Cold Racketeer

Well I took my TL in today. First they told me they had installed the a spec front the best they knew how ( i had gaps and it was not flush at all), so they labled it defective and now I will need to wait a full week for tham to order another one and try again.

Then I asked for bumper plugs and the service guy told me they were $22. I told him that I bought the car and they took my plugs from me in the first place, and so I felt it was part of the car I paid for. He told me he was "just the parts guy" and that he didn't create the maryland front plate laws. I didn't pay the $22.

Good trip today.
Old 09-20-2005, 05:33 PM
2nd Gear

I had the same run-around

I went back today to get my plates and haggled with the dealer for a minute but they finally handed over the plugs for free. Just tell them you have a friend that bought the same car at another dealership and your friend is getting better taken care of or something.

The official story on the plugs is that they come with the car but in states with laws requiring license plates on the front the dealership installs the plate frame and removes the plugs. They are however supposed to give you the plugs, as it doesn't imply that you're going to be removing the plate frame. What if you move to another state that doesn't require it, and they didn't give you your plugs?!!?

So just demand that you get them and I'm sure they'll comply.
Old 09-20-2005, 05:38 PM
Youse Gots Sacked

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
you should NOT be paying for those plugs.....they are yours....i would ask to speak with the manager of the establishment or ask to speak to his superior. if worse comes to worse...someone is selling them on ebay
Old 09-20-2005, 05:59 PM
Cold Racketeer

I know, this is bullshit and I am actually pretty pissed off. Not that I couldn't easily part with $20 but still, I BOUGHT the car. The product I purchased includes the plugs, and they threw my property in the trash and didn't tell me.
Old 09-20-2005, 06:09 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by tzakiel
I know, this is bullshit and I am actually pretty pissed off. Not that I couldn't easily part with $20 but still, I BOUGHT the car. The product I purchased includes the plugs, and they threw my property in the trash and didn't tell me.
Exactly I say you raise hell and show them what your made of! Talk to a manager see what they tell you. If a dealership is willing to fight over a measly 20 some dollars ESPECIALLY when they threw your plugs out the door then you know there's something shady going on.
Old 09-20-2005, 06:25 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 205 Likes on 128 Posts
I cant believe that they are giving you that much trouble. I just said "hey Im taking that front plate off" the guy was like "oh okay let me get you the plugs to cover it up".

they did say they should be in the glove box. but they werent and then just handed me some. talk to the guy you bought the car from.
Old 09-23-2005, 10:31 AM
Cold Racketeer

UPDATE: just called the dealer about my tags and asked again about the bumper plugs... this is tischer acura in maryland for future reference.

quote: "acuras do not have bumper plugs. they are perforated covers and not re-usable once removed" - these guys will do ANYTHING to not be at fault... he also kept saying it was the LAW to have a front plate, like I was saying I was going to break the law and that they ought to help me.
Old 09-24-2005, 12:06 AM
2nd Gear

Get around it

Tell them you plan to move out of state, IE Pennsylvania, where the front place is not required and you will need the bumper plugs!!!
Old 09-24-2005, 01:53 AM
Instructor

Just ask your salesman to save the next set of plugs from the next WDP that they sell and to give them to you. That's what I did @ Sunnyvale Acura (CA). No $ out of their pocket nor mine. I avoided the service guys all together.
Old 09-24-2005, 01:56 AM
Cold Racketeer

I'm just giving up on the dealership. Do you know what they quoted me to get the a-spec side skirts installed today? six hundred and ten dollars before tax. This place is a RIP OFF and I didn't make any headway getting my bumper plugs for less than $20 either.
Old 09-24-2005, 03:13 AM
Team Nighthawk

I'm just giving up on the dealership. Do you know what they quoted me to get the a-spec side skirts installed today? six hundred and ten dollars before tax. This place is a RIP OFF and I didn't make any headway getting my bumper plugs for less than $20 either.
Sorry for all the problem. If you want to PM me with your info and I'll have my guy at Continental Acura give me a set of plugs and I'll send them to you. As long as they have them in stock. This is the least they can do after all I have done for them.

Donated raffle prizes, free dinners, theater tickets, etc.
Old 09-24-2005, 03:38 AM
04 TL 6MT NAVI ABP/Q

Like I said before in one of the other Bumper Plugs Threads, if your dealer doesnt hook you up with a free set, then they just plain suck ass.

I can understand them wanting to charge you for NEW Plugs, but when I asked my dealer about them, he said they didnt have my set and CA law said they had to mount the front plate bracket. But he said he would talk to the vehicle prep team and sure enough, about 10 days later he called me up and said another Blue TL had come in and they left that car's plugs on his desk and I could come get them anytime I wanted.

Overall my dealer was pretty cool. Was alot younger than most, which may be part of it.
Old 09-24-2005, 07:45 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Casper42
Like I said before in one of the other Bumper Plugs Threads, if your dealer doesnt hook you up with a free set, then they just plain suck ass.

I can understand them wanting to charge you for NEW Plugs, but when I asked my dealer about them, he said they didnt have my set and CA law said they had to mount the front plate bracket. But he said he would talk to the vehicle prep team and sure enough, about 10 days later he called me up and said another Blue TL had come in and they left that car's plugs on his desk and I could come get them anytime I wanted.

Overall my dealer was pretty cool. Was alot younger than most, which may be part of it.
When I purchased my TL, I asked the sales person to NOT put on the license plate frame on the front and leave the plugs in. I checked upon delivery and they did what I asked.

My point is that I knew about this before hand from reading this forum before I bought, so I was prepared. Hint to those thinking about buying. :-)

regards,
Old 09-24-2005, 10:39 AM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"acuras do not have bumper plugs. they are perforated covers and not re-usable once removed"
The front bumper plugs are part of the vehicle, period. The parts catalog doesn't list them as an option item. You bought the car, they are yours. Item #11, list price is $13.34. My service manager asked the parts guy about it and he came up with em.
71146-SEP-A00ZA (ABP)
71146-SEP-A00ZB (NBP)
71146-SEP-A00ZC (DGP)
71146-SEP-A00ZD (WDP)
71146-SEP-A00ZE (SSM)
71146-SEP-A00ZF (AM)
71146-SEP-A00ZG (RRP)
71146-SEP-A00ZH (DMM)

Old 09-24-2005, 10:45 AM
Cruisin'

I live in PA & when I got my car, it had apparently been from NJ. The frame had been removed, but the plugs were missing. They gave me a set from the stock they had, but they didn't match very well, despite being the same paint code. They finally grabbed a set from another new TL on the lot that was recently damaged so I had an exact match. They still let me keep the other less-than-perfect set, which you're welcome to if you PM me.
Old 09-24-2005, 03:51 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
On the day I was supposed to pick up my TL, I swung by the dealer at lunch to drop off my current registration. On the way out I swung around and told the sales person that I had an older MA. plate and did not want the front license bracket (in MA, if you have older plates - from the days when only one was required - you are only required to have a rear plate). He let me know that it was a good thing I asked because he would have to make sure he tracked down some plugs for the holes that would be left behind.

Never would have thought to ask if it was not for this forum.