Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scraaaaapppe

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2004, 11:36 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Scraaaaapppe

OMFG, MY BABY HAS BEEN INJURED. I was backing out of a local pizza restaurant and the parking lot is like this big: - , well I see this cadillac right behind me, so I back out and i am conscious that its there. All if the sudden I see my TL push it back. I screamed Bloody Murder, and I jolted outside to see the damage. The fu(king Cadillac had a hug ass front metal bumper! It was like a foot long! I was like OMG. I went home, tried my best to clean up the wound and all thats left is a 3" scrape all the way down to the fiberglass and a few suffs on the clear coat around it. WHAT SHOULD I DO?! I have the Acura Touch up paint pen. Should I give that a shot?! Im soo desperate. Any estimate on body shop repair?Its kinda unnoticable. You have to squat down and look/feel for it. If yoiu look from the top, you cant tell. I cant believe I did something so Stupid! Freaking Big ass Metal Cadillac!
Old 02-28-2004, 12:52 AM
Three Wheelin'

Re: Scraaaaapppe

Originally posted by EggrollXpress61
OMFG, MY BABY HAS BEEN INJURED. I was backing out of a local pizza restaurant and the parking lot is like this big: - , well I see this cadillac right behind me, so I back out and i am conscious that its there. All if the sudden I see my TL push it back. I screamed Bloody Murder, and I jolted outside to see the damage. The fu(king Cadillac had a hug ass front metal bumper! It was like a foot long! I was like OMG. I went home, tried my best to clean up the wound and all thats left is a 3" scrape all the way down to the fiberglass and a few suffs on the clear coat around it. WHAT SHOULD I DO?! I have the Acura Touch up paint pen. Should I give that a shot?! Im soo desperate. Any estimate on body shop repair?Its kinda unnoticable. You have to squat down and look/feel for it. If yoiu look from the top, you cant tell. I cant believe I did something so Stupid! Freaking Big ass Metal Cadillac!
it all depends on what you want to do. you can try touching it up but it will probably still be noticeable. if it doesn't bother you just leave it alone but i would recommend having it fixed by a body shop.
Old 02-28-2004, 01:53 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd get it fixed and get the backup sensors installed. They have saved me more times than I can count.
Old 02-28-2004, 05:48 PM
Racer

Re: Re: Scraaaaapppe

Originally posted by adam209
it all depends on what you want to do. you can try touching it up but it will probably still be noticeable. if it doesn't bother you just leave it alone but i would recommend having it fixed by a body shop.
How much do U think it will cost to sand it down and re spray it? or even worse, repaint the whole thing?

Ive attached some pics for U guys to estimate

Old 02-28-2004, 05:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

i'm not a body shop but i think somewhere in the neighborhood of 300-400 dollars
Old 02-28-2004, 05:58 PM
Racer

ugh... Mayn, Ive only had my baby for about a month , I guess its better than being totaled. Sorry to hear about your totaled TL adam.
Old 02-28-2004, 05:59 PM
Advanced

Leave it alone-do not repaint bumper as repaints can be the start of other problems. if you can't really notice it, consider it the first of many small battle scars. Gives the car a little character.
Old 02-28-2004, 06:34 PM
Instructor

Hey, sorry about that.....mine was scratched the other day. I just decided that I was going to get either the A-Spec bumper, or wait for a nice aftermarket kit. Just look at the bright side. At least it's not the side of the car.
Old 02-28-2004, 07:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by pearl04
Hey, sorry about that.....mine was scratched the other day. I just decided that I was going to get either the A-Spec bumper, or wait for a nice aftermarket kit. Just look at the bright side. At least it's not the side of the car.
there is no a-spec bumper.

eggrollxpress, that scratch doesn't look to bad. it doesn't show up much against the paint so if you can live with it, just let it stay there. if it bothers you though, being that it's such a brand new car, i'd just get it repaired. and thanks for your condolences
Old 02-28-2004, 09:58 PM
Racer

Do U guys think it can be sanded and resprayed?
Old 02-28-2004, 11:23 PM
10th Gear

no touch up pen is going to fix that take it to a good body shop
Old 02-28-2004, 11:31 PM
16GS FSprt,03Max,12 335is

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by 04TLmayB
Leave it alone-do not repaint bumper as repaints can be the start of other problems. if you can't really notice it, consider it the first of many small battle scars. Gives the car a little character.
I agree, I would just leave it
Old 02-29-2004, 09:16 PM
Racer

Whats the cheapest way to fix it?
Old 03-02-2004, 05:56 PM
Racer

Will a Rear spoiler fix it?!
Old 03-02-2004, 05:57 PM
Racer

Rear under body spoiler that is....
Old 03-02-2004, 07:22 PM
1st Gear

Don't repaint!

Hi,

Well my rear bumper (on my Accord) was hit, only surface scratch, and there has been 4 yrs of wear and tear, so I had it repainted (not at my expense). That works fine. HOWEVER, factory paint is in most cases better than getting it painted by hand, as there may be more orange peeling, uneveness around the edges, stuff like that. My car's bumper, now repainted, is better off than it was, but I wouldn't recommend if avoidable because it will be worse than stock. Plus your car would be in a shop and you run the risk of overspray (so you may have to do extensive claying). do what I did. I have scratched my bumper a few times, but wait till someone hits it. Let them foot the bill. You may have to wait a few years but hey a bumper's job is to take some wear and tear anyway. Just be more careful.
Old 03-02-2004, 07:43 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
IMO, wait until next scratch or dent. Save $$$.

Repaint is never look-like new again and it just reduce your car value if the shop paints it badly.
Old 03-02-2004, 08:57 PM
Racer

The fix is about $500. To fix it correctly, the bumper must be removed, filled, sanded, primered, painted and clearcoated. You can't paint the bumpers ON the car as paint gets in the joint (with the body) and looks cheap.

It's a drag, but Stuff Happens!

Good Luck!
Old 03-02-2004, 10:08 PM
Zaino under fingernails

I agree with automophile, any good body shop can fix this in a jiffy and you'll never know it was damaged. The bumper skins are very easily repaired.

I had a Honda Odyssey in the canyonstone metallic with rear bumper damage - some stoner ran into me at a light. This is the grey color with a rose undertone - very tricky to match. The body shop I used did a wonderful job. They got the match paint and painted the bumper, then sanded off the clear coat up the sides of the van to a seam - the rear edge of the sliding door. They feathered the new paint over the old paint on the sides of the van, then re-clearcoated the back half. It was amazing - no one could ever tell it had been repaired.

This is how it's done correctly.

Good luck!

BrandHdriver - Austin, TX
Old 04-01-2004, 07:13 PM
Intermediate

back-up sensors

"I'd get it fixed and get the backup sensors installed. They have saved me more times than I can count."

hey Jss1 -- where do you get the back-up sensors? can you see them on the car....I need 'em...let me know.

thanks,
Pete
Old 04-01-2004, 07:41 PM
Burning Brakes

DO NOT use the paint pen. The colors don't match and it is tricky to use. I ended up getting a bottle of touch-up paint from a local Acura dealer. The color was much better and was easier to use.
Old 04-01-2004, 07:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pgriherd

hey Jss1 -- where do you get the back-up sensors? can you see them on the car....I need 'em...let me know.

thanks,
Pete
I got them installed by the dealer as I wanted everything warranted. Some people don't like the look of them but they are so small I don't even notice them, besides they are colour co-ordinated and keep me from hitting anything. I had pics but the galleries aren't back yet.
Old 04-01-2004, 08:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Badges of Courage

I disagree that it's nec. to take bumper cover off. As a rough gauge, body and paint work runs about $50 for as much area as you can cover with your hand. (Tip: when taking pictures like that, place a ruler in the frame so we can have a reference for dimensions)

The paint used for the plastic parts is the same paint as the body but with a plasticizer added to make it flexible. If the plastic isn't gouged out (I can't tell from the photo), it can be spotted in and blended. It's in an area where slight differences in shading, if any, won't be noticed as there is a natural shadow line there anyway.

Any good body shop can handle it. I said "good". Unless they are wearing an eye patch with a parrot on their shoulder, you should be talking about $100. When I was having my front bumper cover painted in my old car, I asked them to paint the rear also which they did at no charge and it looked like new. The biggest expense to them is just mixing up the paint and getting their spray equipment messed up. It looks like about an hours work.