Say what? V8??

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 10:29 AM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
Acura will be going hybrid......
the racing roots are dead.
agreed, the avg price of gas is only going to go up. I remember seeing gas around $1-$2 in college, now its 3-4. Going to be 5-6 soon enough. Any manf not hopping on the hybrid, fuel efficient bandwagon is going to regret it.

although silly threads like this are fun to pipedream with.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:35 AM

Received 16,261 Likes on 11,972 Posts
As much as every one likes HP, sadly power is not in the future for acura.

Stereotyping here...
Every one knows how efficient Asian people are, right?
While the Americans are doing their PONY Wars and wasting money...Acura will be headed into the direction of fuel efficient cars
"Smart Luxury"
Old 03-04-2011, 10:59 AM
Safety Car

Received 946 Likes on 650 Posts
As much as every one likes HP, sadly power is not in the future for acura.

Stereotyping here...
Every one knows how efficient Asian people are, right?
While the Americans are doing their PONY Wars and wasting money...Acura will be headed into the direction of fuel efficient cars
"Smart Luxury"
Hope your joking because im pretty sure the car of the year award went to Chevy for their new Volt! Which as far as electric cars go is downright genuis. My commute to work is 20.0 miles exactly. With that Volt I could literally never buy fuel....ever! Please inform which import electric/hybrid vehicle can do that. And please dont mention the leaf because that thing looks like a cross between a smart car and a ford taurus (aka digusting), not to mention the car is basically useless at this point in time because there are no charging facilities. Im not bashing import vehicles, but im simply stating that I believe what you said is not true. Sure they have their fun high HP cars but seriously, being a car guy how can you not love that???? And even then their high performance cars do great on fuel.

Here is a picture I took of my 505HP Z06 Corvette with cruise set at 60-65mph over a 70 mile drive.

Yes 505hp and over 30mpg. Over 200 more HP than my TL-S LOLOLOL Sure it weighs a few hundred pounds less but still, this number coming from something with soo much power is just amazing.

Old 03-04-2011, 11:07 AM

Received 16,261 Likes on 11,972 Posts
why do Acura's Press Releases state that they are going green?
Because they are. it might not be today, or tomorrow but it will happen.

With gas prices touching 4 dollars a gal. one could only predict what will happen in the future.
And we have history to back up the inflation....Like leedog said, 1-2 dollar gallons were the norm.
Old 03-04-2011, 11:09 AM
the overexplainer

Received 385 Likes on 337 Posts
That was their excuse for cancelling the NSX..but apparently it's back in development. I'm guessing a hybrid/fuel saver technology will be present.
Old 03-04-2011, 11:34 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by JTS97Z28
Hope your joking because im pretty sure the car of the year award went to Chevy for their new Volt! Which as far as electric cars go is downright genuis. My commute to work is 20.0 miles exactly. With that Volt I could literally never buy fuel....ever! Please inform which import electric/hybrid vehicle can do that. And please dont mention the leaf because that thing looks like a cross between a smart car and a ford taurus (aka digusting), not to mention the car is basically useless at this point in time because there are no charging facilities. Im not bashing import vehicles, but im simply stating that I believe what you said is not true. Sure they have their fun high HP cars but seriously, being a car guy how can you not love that???? And even then their high performance cars do great on fuel.

Here is a picture I took of my 505HP Z06 Corvette with cruise set at 60-65mph over a 70 mile drive.

Yes 505hp and over 30mpg. Over 200 more HP than my TL-S LOLOLOL Sure it weighs a few hundred pounds less but still, this number coming from something with soo much power is just amazing.

I love the ZO6. That's one of the cars on my list to buy when prices come down a little. 505hp and 30mpg, what more could you ask for.... Maybe Acura should start selling cars with an LSx and disguising it with "vtec" on the valve covers lol. Seriously, a 7.0 getting 30 mpg is awesome. Since imports love the hp/l argument why not do a mpg/l argument...

Last edited by I hate cars; 03-04-2011 at 11:37 AM.
Old 03-04-2011, 11:38 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes 505hp and over 30mpg.
Me: “Honey, you know how you wanted us to get a fuel efficient car? I think I found the one. It’s the Z06. It’s the American version of Prius and it’s small too. This guy is getting 31MPG! We’ll save money, time and help US car manufacturing.”

Will let you guys know how it went
Old 03-04-2011, 11:44 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by HighRevving
Me: “Honey, you know how you wanted us to get a fuel efficient car? I think I found the one. It’s the Z06. It’s the American version of Prius and it’s small too. This guy is getting 31MPG! We’ll save money, time and help US car manufacturing.”

Will let you guys know how it went
Good luck lol. I would probably get beat for even suggesting it.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:09 PM
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 116 Posts
haha yea stomp on that vet and see how your gas mileage is then??

my mom has a new vetter not Z06 but standard and yes it does get good mileage on trips that are long on the freeway upwards of 30mpg but if you actually drive it then the mileage gets pretty crappy well not crappy crappy but more like 15-16mpg...

your 31.2mpg is not reflective of the overall mileage that car gets... you reset the mpg counter before you did a freeway trip... over all your car will get under 20mpg

and the chevy volt is overpriced and if you turn your heater on when you leave for work it uses upwards of 1/3rd of your batteries power just to warm you up. I still think that toyota prius has the volt beat hands down! At 50mpg and mid 20'sK there is no comparison to a 40K Volt
Old 03-04-2011, 12:30 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,485 Likes on 1,049 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars
It's nothing to do with the engine placement. I fully agree that the TL has a terrible turning radius but it's entirely suspension/chassis related. With RWD that can be cured with a little throttle mid corner. I figure since the TL is almost entirely sold in North America, a super tight turning radius is not as needed as it is in European and other countries. My friend's very long CL65 turns much sharper than my TL.
Turning radius is almost never a concern when cornering at your car's limits. It only a worry in parking-lot manouvers, or making a U-turn, where "a little throttle mid-corner" doesn't help in the least.

Originally Posted by HighRevving
^ re hybrid
Well they tried that with the Accord hybrid and you know what happened..

They will certainly offer some type of ‘green’ toy but make no mistake; the HP wars have yet to start. Not accommodating the middle class’ need for speed (and stress relief after a high productivity work day) -combustion or otherwise- will be a recipe for a buyout.

North of $45K, the consumer will be looking at how much asphalt can he peel off, if he can save a tree doing then let it be.
The Accord was Honda's thing, and they've got their fair share of other hybrids. Two generations of the Civic and Insight, and the CR-Z.

It's all about different markets. Not many people consider Acura a performance stronghold. Certainly not as much as Infiniti or BMW, for example. I can't think of any Infiniti with less than 330 horsepower, save the G25. I can't think of any Acura with more than 305 horsepower. These cars will get more performance-minded buyers than Acura will.

I think Acuras are fine for the average consumer though. It's a DD with plenty of power and sportiness still.

Originally Posted by leedogg
agreed, the avg price of gas is only going to go up. I remember seeing gas around $1-$2 in college, now its 3-4. Going to be 5-6 soon enough. Any manf not hopping on the hybrid, fuel efficient bandwagon is going to regret it.

although silly threads like this are fun to pipedream with.
I dunno, apparently prices are only up now because of "unrest in the Middle East". Remember what happened in 2008. Gas prices skyrocketed, then plummeted. Eventually, gas will go up and up and up, but I think we still have a few more years of fluctuation before that happens.
Old 03-04-2011, 01:24 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Aman
Turning radius is almost never a concern when cornering at your car's limits. It only a worry in parking-lot manouvers, or making a U-turn, where "a little throttle mid-corner" doesn't help in the least.
Thanks for the lesson. It wasn't a serious statement but a little power does wonders for flipping tight U-turns.
Old 03-04-2011, 02:18 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by murph145
haha yea stomp on that vet and see how your gas mileage is then??

my mom has a new vetter not Z06 but standard and yes it does get good mileage on trips that are long on the freeway upwards of 30mpg but if you actually drive it then the mileage gets pretty crappy well not crappy crappy but more like 15-16mpg...

your 31.2mpg is not reflective of the overall mileage that car gets... you reset the mpg counter before you did a freeway trip... over all your car will get under 20mpg

and the chevy volt is overpriced and if you turn your heater on when you leave for work it uses upwards of 1/3rd of your batteries power just to warm you up. I still think that toyota prius has the volt beat hands down! At 50mpg and mid 20'sK there is no comparison to a 40K Volt
Yes I know obviously any car the mileage will drop significantly if you lay into it. Civic or a Z06, it doesnt matter if you drive like you stole it both will be very poor on fuel. On my daily driving I averaged 19 to 20mpg on my Z06 thats driving to work sometimes getting on it, and sometimes babying it with no highway miles. Either way my Z06 got the exact same fuel economy that my 07 Type S did. Pretty incredible considering it has over 200hp more!!!

As for the Volt/Prius arguement, well either way they are both great at what they were designed for. Also, the volt is a very hot item right now later down the road once all the hype clears prices will be more reasonable. Dont forget there is like a $7,000 tax incentive as well. This may or may not apply to the Prius im not sure. As far as the using accessory thing about the Volt that is true, but not nearly as much as the Nissan Leaf. Car magazines said it was crazy how low the range got when you started using stuff like A/C, radio etc etc on the Leaf...making the car almost useless for anything other than a short trip to the store lol. I didnt hear any magazine complain of stuff like that on the Volt although im sure it does effect it (afterall is does run strictly on electricity most of the time).
Either way im not into the electric/hybrid thing yet since fuel prices are still reasonable. The Volt IMO is the first car of its type that actually looks somewhat decent I think. To me the Prius, the Leaf, cars like that all look soo stupid. Remember the first Honda Hybrid? That thing was a joke no wonder no one bought it I wouldnt be caught dead driving something that looked like that haha. And the Leaf...OMG

Anyway, sorry for rambling im on break at work with nothing else to do
Old 03-04-2011, 03:10 PM
Team Owner

That pretty much sums up my experience with my TL vs a good friend's Z06.

If you use all 505hp of course it's going to use more fuel. But vehicle weight is the largest factor in mpg. If it takes 80 to accelerate a 3,200lb car at the same rate as it takes 100hp to accelerate a 3,600lb car, it doesn't matter if the power is coming from a V6 or V8, the heavier car requires more hp to accelerate and will get worse mpg. Obviously your typical V6 might have less frictional and pumping losses but the LSx has only one cam and less valves so that makes up for some of the losses.
Old 03-04-2011, 03:13 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,485 Likes on 1,049 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars
Thanks for the lesson. It wasn't a serious statement but a little power does wonders for flipping tight U-turns.
Well sorry, you didn't give any clue that it wasn't a serious statement. Still don't understand how a little power helps with U-turns.
Old 03-04-2011, 03:25 PM
'06 WDP TL 6MT

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
^ let him take you out for a test ride, he will show you
Old 03-04-2011, 03:53 PM
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 116 Posts
Yes I know obviously any car the mileage will drop significantly if you lay into it. Civic or a Z06, it doesnt matter if you drive like you stole it both will be very poor on fuel. On my daily driving I averaged 19 to 20mpg on my Z06 thats driving to work sometimes getting on it, and sometimes babying it with no highway miles. Either way my Z06 got the exact same fuel economy that my 07 Type S did. Pretty incredible considering it has over 200hp more!!!

As for the Volt/Prius arguement, well either way they are both great at what they were designed for. Also, the volt is a very hot item right now later down the road once all the hype clears prices will be more reasonable. Dont forget there is like a $7,000 tax incentive as well. This may or may not apply to the Prius im not sure. As far as the using accessory thing about the Volt that is true, but not nearly as much as the Nissan Leaf. Car magazines said it was crazy how low the range got when you started using stuff like A/C, radio etc etc on the Leaf...making the car almost useless for anything other than a short trip to the store lol. I didnt hear any magazine complain of stuff like that on the Volt although im sure it does effect it (afterall is does run strictly on electricity most of the time).
Either way im not into the electric/hybrid thing yet since fuel prices are still reasonable. The Volt IMO is the first car of its type that actually looks somewhat decent I think. To me the Prius, the Leaf, cars like that all look soo stupid. Remember the first Honda Hybrid? That thing was a joke no wonder no one bought it I wouldnt be caught dead driving something that looked like that haha. And the Leaf...OMG

Anyway, sorry for rambling im on break at work with nothing else to do
haha honda insight first gen that thing was silly looking!

yea i actually do know these new gen vettes get good mileage for sure like i said i think my moms averages around 20mpg like you said yours does as well... my TLS averages around 17-18mpg but I can get upwards of low 30's when i do a straight line easy going freeway drive.

It is pretty cool how chevy was able to get the vette that good of mileage!
Old 03-04-2011, 04:00 PM
I'm Craig

Received 299 Likes on 207 Posts

The Z06 sips gas. Also, its interesting how low the engine revs while at speed (which correlates to the MPG #'s).

why do Acura's Press Releases state that they are going green?
Because they are. it might not be today, or tomorrow but it will happen.

With gas prices touching 4 dollars a gal. one could only predict what will happen in the future.
And we have history to back up the inflation....Like leedog said, 1-2 dollar gallons were the norm.
This is just my opinion on the matter of this thread/MPG in general, better MPG doesn't have to mean less performance. Look at the Taurus SHO or Ford's EcoBoost engine in general. The 2012 TL even...3MPG improvement with the 6AT. Cylinder deactivation is a trend occurring across the market...even the 2012 Bentley Mulsanne has it. A $300,000 car. Porsche's 918 RSR hybrid supercar. It just doesn't make sense to say fuel efficiency equates to less power. Not that they are bad cars by any means, but I think the image of moving to greater fuel efficiency is heavily tarnished by bread and butter econobox images such as the Prius, Civic, etc.

And people need to relate gas prices relative to times. In 1960, the price of gas per gallon was 31 cents, equivalent to about $2.31 per gallon in 2011. Are gas prices higher today? Yes by a dollar.
Old 03-04-2011, 04:56 PM
Avant Garde Wheels

Received 348 Likes on 291 Posts
Originally Posted by Aman
Well sorry, you didn't give any clue that it wasn't a serious statement. Still don't understand how a little power helps with U-turns.
Old 03-04-2011, 05:14 PM
Safety Car

Received 134 Likes on 77 Posts
Can someone tell me what would happen if we continually put 91 octane rating gasoline instead of the 93 that our cars require?

My parents keep telling me to use the 'middle gas' (i.e. 91) to save money when filling up the tank. I say, sure, I could do that for a couple of weeks, months, maybe even a year or two, but in the long run, the car will break down... is that a valid statement or would other things happen?
Old 03-04-2011, 05:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 269 Likes on 229 Posts
Originally Posted by bforbrian
Can someone tell me what would happen if we continually put 91 octane rating gasoline instead of the 93 that our cars require?

My parents keep telling me to use the 'middle gas' (i.e. 91) to save money when filling up the tank. I say, sure, I could do that for a couple of weeks, months, maybe even a year or two, but in the long run, the car will break down... is that a valid statement or would other things happen?
I put Shell 91 in my car and never had a problem.
Old 03-04-2011, 05:48 PM
I'm Craig

Received 299 Likes on 207 Posts
Originally Posted by bforbrian

I thought our cars required 91 or higher? The middle grade around here is 89 octane. I go for premium, usually 93 octane.

IHC can explain this better I'm sure. But as you said, you can run it for a short while, but in the long run, it's not good for the engine. The TL's engine runs at higher compression and needs premium fuel in order for the pistons to compress the fuel/air mixture in the cylinder before it ignites. Using regular gas will cause ignition in the piston before fully compressing. As a result, your engine might start pinging if you don't use the recommended fuel. Resulting in poorer performance and efficiency.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:01 PM
Team Owner

Unfortunately 91 is all that's available here. The scanner shows some knock retard on 91 so the Tl is octane hungry and can benefit from 93. As long as you're getting knock, mpg and power will go up with higher octane up until you have no more knock. So in the long run 91 will save you money by getting better mpg than 87 and 93 will save money over 91 the same way. This compression ratio and tuning without DI is a lot for 91 to handle without knock.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:21 PM
Safety Car

Yeah what they said ^^^. Around here in Chicago 93 is premium and 89 is midgrade. Running 91 should be fine if thats premium in your area however 89 might be a bit on the low side. As mentioned above it sounds like this TL requires the premium or its going to start pulling timing because of detonation.
Here is my idea on the subject. Your parents tell you to use the lower grade to save money, but the car says "requires premium". If you do the math the difference in cost between 89 octane, and 93 octane over the span of an entire year is going to be surprisingly minimal. So minimal infact that you could probably skip going out to a nice dinner 3 times in a year and you would have covered the difference. My recommendation is do not cheap out on gas when this vehicle does require that octane for the motor to run properly. Keep doing what your doing and use the required fuel.

James