Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this safe??

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 07:28 AM
Under construction

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts
Is this safe??

Replaced my rotors and pads in the front but need a new caliper since the bottom hole is stripped out.

Is it safe to drive to work (13miles) for 2 days while I wait for the new caliper to come in. Right now it's just holding on with the top bolt

Thanks in advance guys

Oh yeah it's the Brembo caliper, don't know if that makes a difference.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:42 AM
Former Whyner

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I would say yeah just give yourself lots of braking room and downshift lots and use the ebrake if necessary
Old 06-03-2009, 09:39 AM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
correct me if im wrong but doesnt the caliper screw into the knuckle?? the caliper screwing into itself woudnt exactly be right.....and i wouldnt say its safe because ur not only putting ur life at risk ur putting others at risk as well. lets say u get into an accident.... the insurance company investigates finds the faulty brake and says why would u drive this like that???? "well the guys on the forum said its ok so i decided its ok to do"
Old 06-03-2009, 10:06 AM
Under construction

Yeah I don't think I'll be driving this car anywhere till I get my new caliper. I just don't feel safe knowing I have a missing part on my brakes.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:35 AM
Under construction

BTW: a single caliper at the dealer is $400!!!! I tried looking everywhere and no luck, had to shell out the dough

Guy had one on eBay but he wanted $25 for it, seemed kinda sketchy.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:38 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Noooooooo!!!!!

OMG....noooooooo. follow me on this one. With the lower bolt missing, the caliper will be able to ride up inside the wheel. If it contacts the wheel the wrong way it could easily lock the wheel up by pinning the caliper inside the hub! PARK THE CAR UNTIL THE PART GETS THERE! If you are in the Sarasota Florida area, Im sure we have one!

Old 06-03-2009, 10:45 AM
Under construction

Originally Posted by Gettel Acura
OMG....noooooooo. follow me on this one. With the lower bolt missing, the caliper will be able to ride up inside the wheel. If it contacts the wheel the wrong way it could easily lock the wheel up by pinning the caliper inside the hub! PARK THE CAR UNTIL THE PART GETS THERE! If you are in the Sarasota Florida area, Im sure we have one!
I'm in Charlotte and my car has been parked I'm not taking any chances. Used the scotter for work today
Old 06-03-2009, 10:47 AM
Safety Car

wait wait i dont think the caliper bolts into the caliper alex, i think u got the wrong part...im pretty sure it screws into the knuckle. the knuckle is its support if the bolt and caliper was its own support it would bend or break.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:58 AM
Under construction

Originally Posted by Tripnbeats
wait wait i dont think the caliper bolts into the caliper alex, i think u got the wrong part...im pretty sure it screws into the knuckle. the knuckle is its support if the bolt and caliper was its own support it would bend or break.
Oops, okay I'm confused. Let me check to make sure, but as I remember, I tried to take off the caliper and the lower bolt took alot of force to take out. After taking it off I noticed it was stripped and the inside of the caliper was a mess!

Alright, I'll keep you update as soon as I get home to look at it again. Thanks Tripnbeats!
Old 06-03-2009, 11:19 AM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts
I lost a lower bolt from my left front caliper a while back and didn't catch it until I washed my car and noticed the caliper was a little loose. I started a coarse thread bolt nto it and drove it to work. But, I stopped and had NAPA order me a caliper bolt kit. NAPA P/N 83442 came with two guide pins and two bolts. I just needed the one bolt, but it sounds like you need the guide pin also.

OOPS, I see that you're working on a Brembo equipped car. Mine is the Base AT Brakes. Sorry. Maybe yours is similar. Check the parts stores first. And pull back the rubber boot to see if you can replace just the pin and bolt.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:29 AM
Under construction

I just asked the guy that helped me, he said the knuckle is fine, it's the actual caliper that needs to be replaced. Sucks for sure, but that's Brembo brakes for ya.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:31 AM
Instructor

Uh, yeah I just looked at the diagram on AcuraOEMParts and it looks like yours is very different. Shows two bolts holding the caliper and no sliding guide pins. Is that a 4 pot caliper?? It is at least 2-sided, so it is not a floating caliper. $400 is nuts. Take the caliper off and take it to any competent machine shop. They should be abe to fix the threads with a Heli-Coil insert. You'll need to take them a bolt to go in it. And you may not get the same size/thread bolt, depending on what heli-coils are available. Good luck. And use some anti-seize. That Aluminum caliper gets heat cycled a lot.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:36 AM
Under construction

Originally Posted by NE14RoxCJ
Uh, yeah I just looked at the diagram on AcuraOEMParts and it looks like yours is very different. Shows two bolts holding the caliper and no sliding guide pins. Is that a 4 pot caliper?? It is at least 2-sided, so it is not a floating caliper. $400 is nuts. Take the caliper off and take it to any competent machine shop. They should be abe to fix the threads with a Heli-Coil insert. You'll need to take them a bolt to go in it. And you may not get the same size/thread bolt, depending on what heli-coils are available. Good luck. And use some anti-seize. That Aluminum caliper gets heat cycled a lot.
Stupid question, but will this affect the way the pistons squeeze on the pads?? I don't want any uneven wear or anything..thanks bro!
Old 06-03-2009, 11:49 AM
Safety Car

dude u need to look not ask. im more than 100% sure the brembos DONT get screwed into themselves...it wouldnt make sense.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:51 AM
Safety Car

its got 2 screw clips that lock into the knuckle and the caliper ges over the knuckle and gets screwed into those clips. or those clips are guide clips and the bolts go through to the knuckle. OTHERWISE people with the 04-06 without brembos wouldnt have to change knuckles to put the brembos on the car.

Last edited by Tripnbeats; 06-03-2009 at 11:53 AM.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:54 AM
Under construction

dude u need to look not ask. im more than 100% sure the brembos DONT get screwed into themselves...it wouldnt make sense.
True, it wouldn't make any sense, I'll take a look myself tonight
Old 06-03-2009, 11:55 AM
Safety Car

BRAKES are the strongest part of the car thats used most often. and they would never be made to bolt into themselves. and they cant have play whatsoever...another reason y they arent screwed into themselves.
Old 06-03-2009, 12:04 PM
Safety Car

if you stripped the knuckle threads ur going to need a knuckle and a bearing for it to be pressed in. but i have never seen a knuckle getting stripped from bolt removal. maybe u couldnt get the bolt in it takes a lil wiggle to get it in.
Old 06-03-2009, 05:15 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BRAKES are the strongest part of the car thats used most often. and they would never be made to bolt into themselves. and they cant have play whatsoever...another reason y they arent screwed into themselves.
The brembo brakes DO bolt into themselves. Quit saying they don't if you have no idea what your talking about. I had the same thing happen a week ago, passenger side lower bolt. I was still able to torque the bolt back into place so i think i still had enough threads left, i hope it's ok.
Old 06-04-2009, 12:08 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
On the Brembo's, the mounting bolts go through the "ears" on the knuckle, then through the washer, then into the caliper.

If the mounting bolts don't screw into the caliper, how is the caliper held to the knuckle.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...11&postcount=2
Old 06-04-2009, 12:31 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
you will get uneven braking... and is not safe... I had a similar problem on my integra and when I pressed the brakes it would sway to one side... not fun at all
Old 06-04-2009, 08:34 AM
Safety Car

sorry mrem go look again and be 100% sure before u flap ur gums because u obviously dont work on cars that often, i own a shop and do this all the time.... the bolts go through the caliper and then bolt into the knuckle and dont go any further,they stop..... simply because if they did go through the caliper to hold it, on the other side you would have HUGE CUTS IN UR ROTOR OR the car would move because the bolt are holding the caliper and rotor in place!
Old 06-04-2009, 09:32 AM
Safety Car

and I was trying to be nice to Alex... not an asshole and say yo dick ur wrong go look at it again.... at 109 posts and 24yrs old u seem like u have a wealth of knowledge..... wanna share some with the acura community or maybe tell me something i dont know.... Id like to know which suitcase has the million dollars in it???
Old 06-04-2009, 09:35 AM
Instructor

Well, whatever it bolts into, I'm sure it could be heli-coil'ed for much less than $400. And that diagram in the FSM posted by Bearcat looks like it bolts into the caliper. But I don't work on cars as much as Tripn. Corp. jets are my specialty. I'm trying to figure out how to fit that 4-disc, 8-pot brake setup on my car. If it'll stop a 9-ton jet from 200-250 mph, I bet it wouldn't have much problem with the TL.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:48 AM
Under construction

Originally Posted by NE14RoxCJ
Well, whatever it bolts into, I'm sure it could be heli-coil'ed for much less than $400. And that diagram in the FSM posted by Bearcat looks like it bolts into the caliper. But I don't work on cars as much as Tripn. Corp. jets are my specialty. I'm trying to figure out how to fit that 4-disc, 8-pot brake setup on my car. If it'll stop a 9-ton jet from 200-250 mph, I bet it wouldn't have much problem with the TL.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:49 AM
Safety Car

ok look. the caliper has 2 holes for 2 bolts. the caliper goes over the knuckle holes and the bolts go through the caliper holes and to the knuckle to the threads. if those bolts threaded any further than the end of the knuckle on the inside it would scrape the rotor and leave huge marks in it..... mostlikely not letting u move the car without damage. i think thats simple enough.

NOW if the caliper screwed into itself the car would stay in one place and not move because you would have 2 holes in the rotor holding it in place THROUGH to the otherside of the caliper so it doesnt fall off..... ALSO! if the caliper screwed into itself it would play side to side n in all directions when you would hit the brakes resulting in warped rotors, damaged fenders and god knows what else.... because the caliper would get smacked by a spoke on the back of the rim and rip off the car throwing it all over the place (inside of your fender wall) resulting in a bad accident probably resulting in death because at that point you wouldnt have brakes you would have hydraulic fluid pissing out one of the hoses.

keep in mind what I said before the brakes are the hardest working parts on anything in the world.....airplanes trains cars trucks whatever.....its friction on friction it HAS to stop u....so no play is allowed except in the pads and that play is under a couple of mm because if it didnt have play it would screech all the time, the play (which is what the shims are for) allows the pads to wear unevenly IF need be otherwise all is dandy....im done explaining brakes....ill be back to laugh later
Old 06-04-2009, 09:52 AM
Safety Car

u want the 8pot set up.....get them off the new benz 65 or 55 series and find the right rim with the right offset to fit and then the right company for the rotors and ur set to go. but if u have them off of a jet then i guess you dont need them from a benz lol!!!
Old 06-04-2009, 09:52 AM
Under construction

Originally Posted by Bearcat94
On the Brembo's, the mounting bolts go through the "ears" on the knuckle, then through the washer, then into the caliper.

If the mounting bolts don't screw into the caliper, how is the caliper held to the knuckle.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...11&postcount=2
Originally Posted by stillhere153
you will get uneven braking... and is not safe... I had a similar problem on my integra and when I pressed the brakes it would sway to one side... not fun at all
and I was trying to be nice to Alex... not an asshole and say yo dick ur wrong go look at it again.... at 109 posts and 24yrs old u seem like u have a wealth of knowledge..... wanna share some with the acura community or maybe tell me something i dont know.... Id like to know which suitcase has the million dollars in it???

I appreciate the help guys! I didn't get a chance to see my car last night but once I do I'll update you.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:57 AM
Under construction

sorry mrem go look again and be 100% sure before u flap ur gums because u obviously dont work on cars that often, i own a shop and do this all the time.... the bolts go through the caliper and then bolt into the knuckle and dont go any further,they stop..... simply because if they did go through the caliper to hold it, on the other side you would have HUGE CUTS IN UR ROTOR OR the car would move because the bolt are holding the caliper and rotor in place!
Nice, where's your shop bro?
Old 06-04-2009, 10:03 AM
Safety Car

Nyc
Old 06-04-2009, 10:18 AM
Instructor

Trip, I was joking. But really, you should see the brakes on a jet. I say 4-disc. That is 4 solid discs in a stack with friction material between each disc and 4 pistons in each half of the caliper. The assembly is ~12" wide and approx. the same diameter. There are 4 of these on our planes (one for each main-gear wheel). They use a very simple mechanical anti-skid system. It's a fun ride when we hit the end of the runway and catch the first taxiway which is only about 1/3 of the way down. Then we get out and tell the mechs to check the tires for flat spots after a "full-maxaret" landing. Oh, and the customer wants "new" brakes, too. Yeah, there's no place for those on a car. They rattle like hell when rolling and they chatter something fierce for the first few landings. Sorry, I guess a joking tone can't be conveyed on a forum.

Congrats on owning your own shop at 27. I'm sure you've done a lot more brakes than ANY 24 year old on here. We'll just call you "omniscient" from now on.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:49 AM
Safety Car

lol...thanks bro. My father was a master mechanic for northwest when i was a kid. So i have seen similar brakes and Ill tell u...thats when i fell in love with physics n mechanics n engineering and the way everything works....he used to come home n tell me things that airlines were developing at that time and show me the next day.... when he'd bring me to work to some degree i knew what he was talking about but i was still a kid and had no idea....
Old 08-02-2010, 12:36 PM
Race Director

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,347 Posts
Trip,

Time for a big ol' serving of humble pie. It is apparently you who should "be 100% sure before u flap ur gums". I guess in your superior and enormous shop experience you've not yet had to remove 6MT Brembo calipers or your memory is failing you. They are indeed threaded and the caliper bolts do screw into the calipers.

How do I know this? Because I've actually removed my 6MT Brembo calipers (and I don't own a shop and I've done this exactly 1 time). But if anyone else needs confirmation, just go to this thread (link below) and scroll down to the last picture in the first post. Yep, that would be threads on the 6MT caliper. Also, go up a bit in the thread and read step 9:

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/d-094-diy-complete-brake-job-pics-624404/

Hope this clears up the question for everyone reading this thread.

Last edited by nfnsquared; 08-02-2010 at 12:38 PM.
Old 08-02-2010, 01:05 PM
Former Whiner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
^^^ Y'all crack me up.
Hi, I'm Kevin.
Don't do it bro! Best case scenario it will apply uneven braking. Dangerous. And that's optimistic view.
Old 08-02-2010, 01:07 PM
Former Whiner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Holy shit... didn't see it was a thread revival.
Old 08-02-2010, 04:15 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
Originally Posted by nfnsquared
Trip,

Time for a big ol' serving of humble pie. It is apparently you who should "be 100% sure before u flap ur gums". I guess in your superior and enormous shop experience you've not yet had to remove 6MT Brembo calipers or your memory is failing you. They are indeed threaded and the caliper bolts do screw into the calipers.

How do I know this? Because I've actually removed my 6MT Brembo calipers (and I don't own a shop and I've done this exactly 1 time). But if anyone else needs confirmation, just go to this thread (link below) and scroll down to the last picture in the first post. Yep, that would be threads on the 6MT caliper. Also, go up a bit in the thread and read step 9:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=624404

WTF?! this threads more than a year old..
Old 08-02-2010, 06:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Dont drive on it. YOu will do more harm than good. We have seen people do that at the dealership fucks up a lot of shit and makes noises you wont like.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:10 PM
Race Director

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,347 Posts
Originally Posted by Majofo
WTF?! this threads more than a year old..
This thread was referenced just yesterday in another thread in "Problems":

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-problems-fixes-114/seized-6mt-caliper-785936/
Old 08-02-2010, 07:22 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hilarious, I saw the date on the first post and thought, man this is a long one. Took Trip almost a year to eat humble pie. Hilarious. I just finished putting the heli-coil fix in when I pulled my Brembos. Acura must have ^%&* alot of the 6speed calipers. Because everyone who has them has the same bottom threads that were cross threaded. Should have been a recall to fix.

I may put up a DIY on how to repair those threads with heli-coils...
Old 08-02-2010, 07:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
Originally Posted by nfnsquared
The Brembo calipers are indeed threaded and the caliper bolts do screw into the calipers.

100% correct.
Can be seen on page 18-12:
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-tires-wheels-suspension-97/front-rear-brake-disc-rotor-knuckle-hub-front-wheel-brg-repl-3g-garage-d-085-a-592538/

Quick Reply: Is this safe??