Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rust issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2004, 12:25 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rust issue

Hey guys. I took the car to the dealer to fix a rattle and there were rust spots in my trunk. They rebolted my chair and the rattle is gone, but I can hear two smaller rattles that were being masked by the louder rattle until it got fixed.

As far as the rust goes, all he did was use touch up paint and put coats over the rust. Is this a proper way of dealing with it? Will it continue to rust? I was under the impression rusted areas need to be sanded and then repainted. Thanks.
Old 11-21-2004, 12:28 AM
professional TL driver

unless they treated the area prior to repaint it will only slow down the rust but it will not stop it. (ever see bubbles under paint) tell them to correct that.... the car aint that old that you already have to worry about rust
Old 11-21-2004, 12:41 AM
Instructor

He said he wiped it with Windex (the glass cleaner I am guessing) and he touched it up.

What should I tell them to do exactly? Should I tell them to sand it down and touch it up?

This sounds like something I should probably do myself in order to make sure it gets done right........ but please advise me on exactly how I should word it when I talk to them. Thanks!
Old 11-21-2004, 01:16 AM
Advanced

actual rust or rust stain?

i've read on this site somewhere who had rust that looked like it was underneath the paint but turned out to be rust stains that fell from tranport rails. they were able to remove the stain with clay bar. so maybe he just touched it up because it was just a stain?

i don't know too much about paint, but i hope this info helps.
Old 11-21-2004, 01:42 AM
Instructor

Well I don't know if it was a stain or if it was rust, but I do know he did not remove whatever it was.
Old 11-21-2004, 03:16 AM
TL Asian GAL!!!

Originally Posted by Moosh
Hey guys. I took the car to the dealer to fix a rattle and there were rust spots in my trunk. They rebolted my chair and the rattle is gone, but I can hear two smaller rattles that were being masked by the louder rattle until it got fixed.

As far as the rust goes, all he did was use touch up paint and put coats over the rust. Is this a proper way of dealing with it? Will it continue to rust? I was under the impression rusted areas need to be sanded and then repainted. Thanks.

It is probably a rust stain!!! Our TL is too new to have rust!!!!
Old 11-21-2004, 11:25 AM
professional TL driver

it could be rust my!!! 04 had rust near the corner/edge of the hood right next to the grill, looks like it either took a rock or wasnt covered with paint well at the factory... either way i cleaned the area well scraped the area to remove any scale then used "right stuff de-ruster by cli international" this treats the metal so it stops rusting will actually turn the metal pitch black as you watch. after it was dry i touch it up with my touch up paint problem solved... right stuff seems to take care of it pretty well, i use it on my john deer tractor all the time, and it gets subjected to some nasty stuff
Old 11-21-2004, 06:28 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,236 Likes on 1,023 Posts
Rust already!!! I haven't even gone through one full Winter yet and the sand and salt are tough on paint in New England. I managed along with my 10 year old Accord with no problems. I hope they were just rust stains!!
Old 11-21-2004, 10:38 PM
Team NightHawk VP

Originally Posted by ONAGER
it could be rust my!!! 04 had rust near the corner/edge of the hood right next to the grill, looks like it either took a rock or wasnt covered with paint well at the factory... either way i cleaned the area well scraped the area to remove any scale then used "right stuff de-ruster by cli international" this treats the metal so it stops rusting will actually turn the metal pitch black as you watch. after it was dry i touch it up with my touch up paint problem solved... right stuff seems to take care of it pretty well, i use it on my john deer tractor all the time, and it gets subjected to some nasty stuff

i have the same thing too, maybe its a defect from factory, its kinda hard to get a rock chip there because the silver grill piece blocks a little bit of my chip
Old 11-21-2004, 11:39 PM
Acurazine Addict

Originally Posted by cliff
i have the same thing too, maybe its a defect from factory, its kinda hard to get a rock chip there because the silver grill piece blocks a little bit of my chip
I have the exact same issue. It's definitely not a rock chip. I'm almost positive that it's a factory defect. Took it in to the dealer three times to have it corrected, and guess what, it's rusting again. This week will be my fourth time taking it in for the same exact issue. Why ohh why can't they just get it right the first time? I'll keep you guys posted.
Old 11-22-2004, 01:32 AM
Instructor

I am going to bust out the dremel next year and grind away at the parts where they touched it up, and get the rust out, treat it, and repaint it.

I can't afford to deal with them multiple times about this. They promised me free loaner cars but conviniently told me when I brought the car in for service that I am too young to receive a loaner car. (I am 20, the minimum age is 25)

Still debating on whether or not to talk to the general salesmanager about that one.
Old 11-22-2004, 06:20 PM
Advanced

I am going to bust out the dremel next year and grind away at the parts where they touched it up, and get the rust out, treat it, and repaint it.

I can't afford to deal with them multiple times about this. They promised me free loaner cars but conviniently told me when I brought the car in for service that I am too young to receive a loaner car. (I am 20, the minimum age is 25)

Still debating on whether or not to talk to the general salesmanager about that one.

is your car under your parents name ? because if it is the loaner will go to your parents and you could use it and your insurance cover the loaner i got loaners before i know the whole thing anyway about the rust problem you have a five year warranty on rust if you feel its a problem and having a problem with the acura service department you go to then bring the car to another acura and let them check it also you could call the 800 acura number call them about the problem tell them how u were treated alot of people have problems at these acura service send them your complaints also what color is your car ?
Old 11-22-2004, 07:54 PM
professional TL driver

thats wierd, im 22 and they have given me a loaner.... when i first ordered my car i was supposed to get it at the end of april, but due to the rail road car breaking down (i couldnt belive it when i heard it) i didnt get it till may 24th... from about the 5th of may till i got mine they gave me an 03 tl.... wasnt bad but nothing like my own 04 tl. call bullshit on that one.... the loaner service is part of acura car program, if they dont like it go up the chain...

i wouldnt use a dremel to much of a chance to have to much go wrong, and if you do use a dremel be very very careful... but definetly treat the area just dont let it stay that way.... as previously stated if you dont fix it right the first time you will have to do it again
Old 11-23-2004, 01:53 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TL MaN 05 WdP
is your car under your parents name ? because if it is the loaner will go to your parents and you could use it and your insurance cover the loaner i got loaners before i know the whole thing anyway about the rust problem you have a five year warranty on rust if you feel its a problem and having a problem with the acura service department you go to then bring the car to another acura and let them check it also you could call the 800 acura number call them about the problem tell them how u were treated alot of people have problems at these acura service send them your complaints also what color is your car ?
I am the primary owner and my mom is the secondary owner to keep the cost of insurance a little less. Yeah I am going to get her to get the loaner and let her drive the loaner and I'll drive her car when I take it in for service next time.

They didn't really treat me bad or anything, they just handled the situation poorly.

The car is silver.
Old 11-23-2004, 01:55 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ONAGER
thats wierd, im 22 and they have given me a loaner.... when i first ordered my car i was supposed to get it at the end of april, but due to the rail road car breaking down (i couldnt belive it when i heard it) i didnt get it till may 24th... from about the 5th of may till i got mine they gave me an 03 tl.... wasnt bad but nothing like my own 04 tl. call bullshit on that one.... the loaner service is part of acura car program, if they dont like it go up the chain...

i wouldnt use a dremel to much of a chance to have to much go wrong, and if you do use a dremel be very very careful... but definetly treat the area just dont let it stay that way.... as previously stated if you dont fix it right the first time you will have to do it again
I called Acura and they said dealers are responsible for the loaner car programs they have. As for the Dremel, I am not really worried about messing anything up. I am pretty good at working on cars. However, I shouldn't have to do it at all, they should take care of it for me.
Old 11-23-2004, 10:43 AM
Advanced

I am the primary owner and my mom is the secondary owner to keep the cost of insurance a little less. Yeah I am going to get her to get the loaner and let her drive the loaner and I'll drive her car when I take it in for service next time.

They didn't really treat me bad or anything, they just handled the situation poorly.

The car is silver.

it seem acura service people always handle situation poorly silver nice color get that rust problem fixed you shouldnt see rust on the car let them fix it the right way because you got five years on that good luck with everything