Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The RR Journals: Oversize oil filters

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2004, 12:42 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
The RR Journals: Oversize oil filters

Per my policy, if I get 5 or more PM's on a topic and have some info to share, I do.

Today's topic, class, is "Do oversize oil filters provide a benefit?".

The answer generally is no, but my final answer is perhaps.

Many people like the notion of a larger filter. On the surface, it looks like a no-brainer. More filter = more oil capacity, which never hurts, as the heat and mechanical stress on the oil are distributed over a greater volume of lubricant, extending its life and SOA (safe operating area).

Plus, the popular notion goes, more filter area will give a buffer against filter clogging and bypassing of the oil.

Well, here are some things to consider before you strap a garbage can under your car.

1) First and foremost, the filter needs to have the same rated PSI for the bypass valve. The bypass valve does not just open up when the filter is clogged, or when engine demand requires more flow than the filter can provide. No, it has another purpose of great importance - it helps modulate the oil pressure, and keep it consistent and within the engineer's design curve over the entire RPM range. I have seen aftermarket filters (even of the same size) that did not have the needed PSI rating, even though they were listed in the mfr's catalog as "compatible" with OEM specs. Of course, Clinton proved that the meaning of "is" may be debatable, so "compatible" may also be up for grabs.

2) Another factor is oil flow rate - a non-Honda filter with lots of surface area may also have smaller oil holes in the inlet, and smaller holes in the interior filter media support metal. High capacity but poor flow can result in damage to both the bearings and the short block.

3) Filter media fracture - I have cut opened literally hundreds of oil filters (I have a special aircraft mechanics tool, as you fly-boys will attest to the fact that oil system study is important to safe operation of aircraft - in the air, if the engine fails, bad things happen rather quickly. In the car world, you just end up by the side of the road with your hood up, looking perplexed and panicked). In about 10% of the filters, I have found tears or gaping fractures in the filter media. This can result from a number of things: highly viscous oil causing damage at startup in very cold climates; poor filter design; delayed maintenance, causing clogging of the filter medium and/or bypass valve, and other factors. Using a filter with unknown pressure response can result in filter element fracture.

So should you use an oversize filter? Perhaps. I do not know the spec for Honda's TL filter, but it certainly is dinky. I would replace it at every oil change. It is not worth a few bucks to cheap out on this, since the filter media is small, and may clog, allowing unfiltered oil to circulate freely.

Here is an excellent link I hope still works - to the Taurus SHO club, where I was a meber and active investigator of the wonders of that Yamaha V-6:
http://www.shoclub.com/lubrication-o...n-oilpart3.htm
Old 09-18-2004, 12:56 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
snip
Originally Posted by Road Rage
...In about 10% of the filters, I have found tears or gaping fractures in the filter media....
hence why i use a 5/5/5 oil change policy on any new car. new car engines are mass produced just like the pretzels you eat. to help guard against machining fragments from tearing into the filter i change the oil at 500,1000,1500 miles on dino oil, and switch to full synth at 1500.

as for bigger filters, there will be less psi on the filter media which can help guard against rips or fractures. a larger filter can also go longer to reach the same psi drop that a smaller filter has, this means the larger filter has indeed trapped more dirt.

this is not in reply to RR, more dirt does not mean better filtration !! better filtration is the sole function of the media and design of the filter. WIX is a very good filter in it's media and design.

thanks RR for this good info.
Old 09-18-2004, 01:15 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
RR-

How much dirt and crud actually gets collected by an oil filter in a modern, well maintained engine? I suspect it's very little. Engines are pretty well sealed and tolerances are tight. The metals that are wearing are generally of such small particle size that a filter might not pick them up (which is why oil analysis will detect them - they're not stuck in the filter). I'd guess that an engine could actually survive a long, long time with no oil filter, although I'd never attempt something like that.
Old 09-18-2004, 03:29 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by cvajs
hence why i use a 5/5/5 oil change policy on any new car. new car engines are mass produced just like the pretzels you eat. to help guard against machining fragments from tearing into the filter i change the oil at 500,1000,1500 miles on dino oil, and switch to full synth at 1500.
Your 5/5/5 policy is an outdated myth that doesn't apply to most production cars today and in Honda engines, is actually BAD for the engine.

As I understand it, most engines manufactured today have "production" oil flushed through them to get rid of large debris before they are installed into the car. In Honda/Acura engines, the first fill of oil also contains special additives that HELP the break-in process. To change the oil too soon robs the engine of the benefits of these additives.

Click for Acura's Ownerlink FAQ. To enter you must register for Acura's Ownerlink. Here are some excerpts:
Why should I wait to change the oil the first time?

Your Acura engine was delivered with an oil that is specially formulated for new engines that have not yet developed their "natural" wear patterns and may contain minute particles from the manufacturing process.

American Honda strongly recommends this special oil be left in the engine long enough for these wear patterns to develop, usually until the first maintenance interval specified in your Owner's Manual, based on your specific driving conditions.
How often should I change my oil after the first service?

There is absolutely no benefit in changing your oil more frequently than recommended in your owner's manual. This will only increase your cost of ownership, and create an unnecessary burden upon the environment by increasing the amount of disposed oil.
Old 09-18-2004, 08:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Brokedoc
Your 5/5/5 policy is an outdated myth that doesn't apply to most production cars today and in Honda engines, is actually BAD for the engine.

As I understand it, most engines manufactured today have "production" oil flushed through them to get rid of large debris before they are installed into the car. In Honda/Acura engines, the first fill of oil also contains special additives that HELP the break-in process. To change the oil too soon robs the engine of the benefits of these additives.

Click for Acura's Ownerlink FAQ. To enter you must register for Acura's Ownerlink. Here are some excerpts:
the flush you speak of is not the crud i reference. the fragments i speak of are those that reach the filter during the period the engine parts seat. perhaps fragments that break off after a few heat cycles, etc. i suspect the flush you mention does a very good job of getting the cavities clean, but it does not get everything. i invite any new car owner to put a magnetic drain plug in soon after you get the car, then see for yourself. my 02 Tacoma had approx 1 ounce of metal fragments stuck to the magnetic drain plug on the rear differential, and that was when i dropped the oil at around 5k miles (manual suggests 40k before changing the diff oil).

as for oil additives, why would they add additives??? engines will seat themselves just fine on either full synth or dino oil. i keep seeing posts about additives to the oil but not one post as to exactly what it is. i doubt they add stuff to accellerate the seating process as there is no reason to do so. i know i use special moly lubes on cam lobes & bearings during my V8 assemblies, but this is only for the 1st start up when the oil pump has not yet pumped and filled the oil galleries. after about 1 minute of oil pressure up, the engine idle no load is brought up to 3-4k rpm for about 30 minutes, at that time all of the componnents have found their "home" and will continue to seat over time.

i never said my 5/5/5 method is highly adopted, i said that's my preference, and it simply does only good for any new engine.

i would certainly like to see a oil filter analysis from a new TL that has used the Ownerlink recommendations for 1st oil change. RoadRage, are you the aviation person who does filter analysis, can you do an analysis on a TL filter???
Old 09-18-2004, 10:58 PM
Not a Blowhole

cvajs: Your post is passionate, but misinformed. The break-in oil Honda uses is unquestionably unique in its add pack. If you refer to my link to the work I have done on the S2KI.com site from 3G Garage (The RR Journals links), you will find an ACTUAL ANALYSIS of the factory fill oil from a Honda Accord. It is high in specific anti-wear additives, including molybdenum disulphide. This is not found at nearly the same levels in any commercially available oil known to most here.

I have also posted that for folks like you who want to change oil early out of habit or whatever reason, or in my case in the S2000, because of a badly installed and leaking oil bolt, I did an analysis of Valvoline Maxlife Engine Protector, and it has chemistry quite close to Honda's. I would recommend to anyone that has changed out the factory oil early to consider adding a bottle of it to whatever you threw in your car.

Honda engineers are not idiots, and their Mugen prepared F1 engines are arguably the best in the world. 2nd guessing by owners is their right, but a crap shoot IMO.

As to the issue of break-in with synthetic, yes it does occur, but takes a bit longer - the reason it is factory fill is for a variety of reasons: oil cooling system cost reduction, need to maximize fuel economy, and environmental (Green) pressures. The Corvette went to Mobil1 one first in the 1992 LT1 nbecause the reverse flow coolant in the heads resulted in high sump temps, and the external oil cooler was a costly and leak-prone system. In Aston-Martins and the Mercs, they need every benefit they can get in the EPA emissions and fuel economy testing, as they are gass guzzlers.

I do plan to do an oil analysis on my first drain (the factory fill) - the filter is so dinky in circumference that I have to figure out a way to open it without adding metal fragments which would skew the test results (my aero tool will cut small filters, but the TL filter is really dinky).

I am going to determine the PSI rating of the TL filter, then consider using the S2000 filter developed for the 2004 S2000, which is an extremely high quality piece - Honda found that its attempt to use standard filters across the line (including the S2000) did not make it. They developed a PCX prefix filter which corresponds to other S2000 parts with PCX in front of them, denoting special use.
Old 09-18-2004, 11:05 PM
Racer

The Corvette went to Mobil1 one first in the 1992 LT1 nbecause the reverse flow coolant in the heads resulted in high sump temps, and the external oil cooler was a costly and leak-prone system. In Aston-Martins and the Mercs, they need every benefit they can get in the EPA emissions and fuel economy testing, as they are gas guzzlers.
RR,

I understand how synthetics resist degradation better at high temps and have better additives and fewer contaminants, but why do they improve MPG? If you have a 10W30 syn and compare it to a 10W30 dino, aren't they both the same viscosity? Otherwise, what use are the ratings?
Old 09-19-2004, 08:07 AM
Banned

snip
cvajs: Your post is passionate, but misinformed. The break-in oil Honda uses is unquestionably unique in its add pack. If you refer to my link to the work I have done on the S2KI.com site from 3G Garage (The RR Journals links), you will find an ACTUAL ANALYSIS of the factory fill oil from a Honda Accord. It is high in specific anti-wear additives, including molybdenum disulphide. This is not found at nearly the same levels in any commercially available oil known to most here.
so why would they want to slow the seat process by adding anti-wear agents ???

are you saying that their oil+additives actually seats faster then dino or synth oil alone?

i don't get the purpose of the additives. i'll bet the molybdenum disulphide is the pre-lube they use to build the engine, same stuff i use on my V8's.
Old 09-19-2004, 03:46 PM
Not a Blowhole

Originally Posted by cvajs
snip

so why would they want to slow the seat process by adding anti-wear agents ???

are you saying that their oil+additives actually seats faster then dino or synth oil alone?

i don't get the purpose of the additives. i'll bet the molybdenum disulphide is the pre-lube they use to build the engine, same stuff i use on my V8's.
Well, we are getting into headache territory. The reason is that one wants the asperities to shear off, rather than break off - to be "polished" rather than left jagged. (These are laymen terms for a complex physical property of metal). You must understand that the friction at the ASPERITY level can be hot enough to melt the high spots. Ragged asperities can lead to damage on the oil control rings.

The idea is that that EP (extreme pressure) additives like moly work at the molecular level to fill in the "valleys" between the asperities, while forming a friction reduced sliding effect, so the honing can occur rather than breakage or melting, which can lead to a rather poor surface on the piston skirts, the oil control rings, and even the cylinder walls.

I can say all this with some authority based on empiric evidence and my training - the empiric evidence is that EP additives are almost never added to engine oil, as the pressures are not high enough to require them. EP additives are usually in trannies and differentials, where the PSI are high enough to require them. The fact that an EP additive is in the Honda factory fill at high levels makes the case that the engineers are indeed trying to ensure a quality break-in, of the nature I described.

As to your speculation that it is the result of engine assembly grease, you have absolutely no evidence of that - when I toured the AMG engine facility in Germany, I saw them assemble an E55 engine using only engine oil. Zero assembly lube. Plus, Mugen (Honda's racing supplier) markets a moly engine additive. Seeing a pattern?
http://www.kingmotorsports.com/product.asp?product=20
"Prevents mechanical loss of engine power and reduces mechanical noise.Even with racing engines built with highly precise components, moving parts such as valves and pistons cannot escape from friction loss. Molybdenum, which is a major ingredient of MT105, quickly penetrates into the metal friction surface. This makes a smooth metal surface by forming a strong lubricating layer, which in turn reduces friction resistance and minimizes loss of engine power. By holding the increase of metal surface friction temperature it stabilizes oil temperature, reduces metal friction noise, and improves engine durability." This writeup parallels what I posted - nreak-in and racing may be different, but the issues at the nanotribologic level are the same. Enough!

For some pictures of how LE does it (using Boron), go to www.le-inc.com and look for the section on Monolec, one of their proprietary additives - it forms a singular (mono-molecular) film to create the result I previously described - the pictures of the before and after piston skirts are quite dramatic.

Again, all of this is explained in The Oil Journals. I hope this is helpful, because it is as deep as I plan to go - I keep repeating the same posts over and over again, and "I've got blisters on my fingers!". (a la John Lennon).
Old 09-19-2004, 06:35 PM
Banned

Well, we are getting into headache territory. The reason is that one wants the asperities to shear off, rather than break off - to be "polished" rather than left jagged. (These are laymen terms for a complex physical property of metal). You must understand that the friction at the ASPERITY level can be hot enough to melt the high spots. Ragged asperities can lead to damage on the oil control rings.

The idea is that that EP (extreme pressure) additives like moly work at the molecular level to fill in the "valleys" between the asperities, while forming a friction reduced sliding effect, so the honing can occur rather than breakage or melting, which can lead to a rather poor surface on the piston skirts, the oil control rings, and even the cylinder walls.

I can say all this with some authority based on empiric evidence and my training - the empiric evidence is that EP additives are almost never added to engine oil, as the pressures are not high enough to require them. EP additives are usually in trannies and differentials, where the PSI are high enough to require them. The fact that an EP additive is in the Honda factory fill at high levels makes the case that the engineers are indeed trying to ensure a quality break-in, of the nature I described.

As to your speculation that it is the result of engine assembly grease, you have absolutely no evidence of that - when I toured the AMG engine facility in Germany, I saw them assemble an E55 engine using only engine oil. Zero assembly lube. Plus, Mugen (Honda's racing supplier) markets a moly engine additive. Seeing a pattern?
http://www.kingmotorsports.com/product.asp?product=20
"Prevents mechanical loss of engine power and reduces mechanical noise.Even with racing engines built with highly precise components, moving parts such as valves and pistons cannot escape from friction loss. Molybdenum, which is a major ingredient of MT105, quickly penetrates into the metal friction surface. This makes a smooth metal surface by forming a strong lubricating layer, which in turn reduces friction resistance and minimizes loss of engine power. By holding the increase of metal surface friction temperature it stabilizes oil temperature, reduces metal friction noise, and improves engine durability." This writeup parallels what I posted - nreak-in and racing may be different, but the issues at the nanotribologic level are the same. Enough!

For some pictures of how LE does it (using Boron), go to www.le-inc.com and look for the section on Monolec, one of their proprietary additives - it forms a singular (mono-molecular) film to create the result I previously described - the pictures of the before and after piston skirts are quite dramatic.

Again, all of this is explained in The Oil Journals. I hope this is helpful, because it is as deep as I plan to go - I keep repeating the same posts over and over again, and "I've got blisters on my fingers!". (a la John Lennon).
hmm, sounds like that STP stuff i see on the shelf at wal-mart

i've seen Nascar engine break-ins, they run full oil pressure and spin the engine with no plugs for a period of time.

none of the high peformance guides i have ever mention adding Moly for longevity or better power by filling in the "valleys". the key to longevity is a balanced engine with matched components.

cheers.
ps, i work as a consultant at MBUSA in Montvale NJ, i'll get some info from those guys on what oil they put in MB's
Old 09-19-2004, 08:12 PM
Instructor

any1 try the k&n filter for the 04tl i took a look at it today and it seemed ok expensive thou bout the same as a mobil 1 filter
Old 09-20-2004, 04:23 PM
Not a Blowhole

MB uses Mobil 1. As to what "others" do, I cannot say - I take a scientific position, add my educational backgroundf, and reinforce it with connections I have at Honda Engineering in California. They recommend a procedure and a break-in oil, I gotta go with their subject matter expertise. Our engines are not blueprinted, just made exceptionally well. The Honda tolerance for bearings (I know a supplier) is the toughest in the industry.
Old 09-20-2004, 04:41 PM
Instructor

Road Rage,
I too was a member of the SHO club, I had a white '90.
Craig
Old 09-20-2004, 05:22 PM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Wow, Road Rage. Great stuff. Did my first oil change, which I always do myself, at 6000. Hope Fram is a good product. Thanks
Old 09-20-2004, 05:59 PM
Not a Blowhole

Originally Posted by tmitch2315
Wow, Road Rage. Great stuff. Did my first oil change, which I always do myself, at 6000. Hope Fram is a good product. Thanks
Fram is a very poorly made filter. It uses lousy cardboard end caps, a cheap rubber valve gasket, etc.

Stick with the Honda, or a Purolator, or an STP/Mobil1, which are made by Champion. Motorcraft also makes a good filter (sourced from Purolator).

Again, if the PSI of the bypass valve is not correct, you could be doing your engine harm.

http://www.ntpog.org/reviews/filters/old_filters.shtml

Note that I do not agree with the author on the oversize issue, as he missed the salient points on proper pressure. Also, Honda has improved its filters, which for a while were Canadian Frams by all accounts - the S2000 one is excellent. I have not cut open a TL filter yet.
Old 09-22-2004, 02:45 PM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Bye, Bye Fram. Thanks
Old 09-22-2004, 02:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by tmitch2315
Bye, Bye Fram. Thanks
do some research on WIX (dana) brand filters. they are just as good as the mobil1's and purolator's but alot less expensive.
Old 09-22-2004, 03:00 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Just because this thread topic always travels the same road - it is usually at this point of this much debated topic where I speak up to confuse those who are already unsure - while I have been persuaded to stop using FRAM (due to members of this board and the many informative articles posted) - sorry Dad, don't be mad.

However, just for those of you who like my Dad use Fram or similar type filters - please, please, PLEASE - do not lose sleep over this stuff. Every car my Dad has owned - he changed oil every 3k or 5k and always used a FRAM filter. Never ever, ever have we had a problem. Each car gets well over 200k miles and at least 12-15 years old.

I am not doubting the validity of the better products - hell, otherwise I'd still be buying VCR tapes and not DVD's. But to anyone stressing over this topic - don't. I enjoy reading the stuff about this topic - afterall, I am a Consumer Reports type of guy. Just take some of the findings with a grain of salt and do not fear that you have ruined your engine because of a early oil change or using the big orange can.
Old 09-22-2004, 03:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TBone2004
Just because this thread topic always travels the same road - it is usually at this point of this much debated topic where I speak up to confuse those who are already unsure - while I have been persuaded to stop using FRAM (due to members of this board and the many informative articles posted) - sorry Dad, don't be mad.

However, just for those of you who like my Dad use Fram or similar type filters - please, please, PLEASE - do not lose sleep over this stuff. Every car my Dad has owned - he changed oil every 3k or 5k and always used a FRAM filter. Never ever, ever have we had a problem. Each car gets well over 200k miles and at least 12-15 years old.

I am not doubting the validity of the better products - hell, otherwise I'd still be buying VCR tapes and not DVD's. But to anyone stressing over this topic - don't. I enjoy reading the stuff about this topic - afterall, I am a Consumer Reports type of guy. Just take some of the findings with a grain of salt and do not fear that you have ruined your engine because of a early oil change or using the big orange can.
chances of damage likely slim, but think of these things like insurance. the cheapo's will fail when you don't want them to, possibly allowing damage to occur, all because of a $5 part. i just prefer to have a better part in the critical locations.

cheers
Old 09-22-2004, 03:34 PM
Instructor

Appreciation

I, I'm sure among others, certainly enjoy these oil discussions. We should pay for them (don't get any ideas - that was just tongue in cheek ) - the knowledge presented here is quite instructive and I find it excrutiatingly enjoyable - THANKS RR FOR YOUR INSIGHT AND YOUR SCIENTIFIC APPROACH.
Old 09-22-2004, 03:42 PM
Shift_faster

Originally Posted by Tedanddenise
the knowledge presented here is quite instructive and I find it excrutiatingly enjoyable -
Excruciatingly enjoyable? I've never heard of excruciating and enjoyable in the same sentence.

And Road Rage:
When you do end up taking apart the TL filter, I'd be very interested to read what you observe. Thanks.
Old 09-22-2004, 05:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by PoochaKannInc
Excruciatingly enjoyable? I've never heard of excruciating and enjoyable in the same sentence.
I suppose a masochist would use that phrase.
Old 09-22-2004, 10:38 PM
Advanced

So Road Rage is 3,000 a good compromise to let the factory fill in before switching to synthetic?
Old 09-23-2004, 12:13 AM