Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The "Rivalry" is Real?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2004, 10:16 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The "Rivalry" is Real?

I've been driving my TL for a grand total of three days now and have had two separate instances where G35 drivers have either sped up in order to pass me once I passed them or started weaving their way through traffic to catch up once they saw me in front of them. In both cases, it was in fairly heavy city street traffic, so it wasn't like we were going to race or anything. Besides, with 100 miles on my car I'm not racing anyone.

Maybe I'm delusional and they weren't acting like this just because of the TL...but both of these guys suddenly started driving differently.
Old 07-02-2004, 10:28 AM
Burning Brakes

Yea I find that often. I use to get the same situation when I drove a Prelude, but they would be civics, celicas, and sentras driving insane to catch up to me. Now it is BMW's, Nissans, and Infinity's that try to catch our attention...so stupid.
Old 07-02-2004, 10:37 AM
SOLD

You never know. They could be jealous, they could want to have a good ol race, they may have not even seen you. It seems people do that a couple times a week here to me in Denver, maybe it's just us?
Old 07-02-2004, 10:37 AM
Powered by Guinness

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had it happen with a new 350Z this week. It's nice to see how broad the appeal is for the TL - quite a range of drivers want to check it out and take a shot at it!
Old 07-02-2004, 10:38 AM
Burning Brakes

I never understood the point of racing in traffic though??? Is it worth it?
Old 07-02-2004, 10:52 AM
SOLD

Originally Posted by coop1018
Racing? Yes. Traffic? No.
Old 07-02-2004, 10:55 AM
Powered by Guinness

Originally Posted by coop1018
In traffic - no. A quick romp with open road ahead - yes, it can be a lot of fun - especially when both drivers stop to shoot the breeze a bit and both come away smiling from it.
Old 07-02-2004, 11:27 AM
Proboscis-free zone

Just this morning, a girl in a BMW sped up very aggressively to try to prevent me from completing a signaled lane change on a freeway transition ramp. Fortunately I had 270 hp and she didn't...
Old 07-02-2004, 11:38 AM
SOLD

Originally Posted by VOdoc
Just this morning, a girl in a BMW sped up very aggressively to try to prevent me from completing a signaled lane change on a freeway transition ramp. Fortunately I had 270 hp and she didn't...
One thing I have noticed is that people will sometimes tailgate you or pull acts deliberately to try and provoke you to show them what the TL is about. I hope they enjoy the show...
Old 07-02-2004, 12:10 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Originally Posted by NightRider
One thing I have noticed is that people will sometimes tailgate you or pull acts deliberately to try and provoke you to show them what the TL is about. I hope they enjoy the show...
The worst are the Gen 2 TL owners. I see at least 5 per day and they either ingore me or do everything they can to box me in so I can't pass 'em.

I guess that if my younger sister got a nose job, a body tuck, and breast implants and was the spitting image of Carmen Electra I'd be jealous too, but I'd never risk her life in traffic.

BJ
Old 07-02-2004, 12:11 PM
Cruisin'

or she was just a girl driving..

sorry couldn't resist. i was just kiding.
Old 07-02-2004, 01:11 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by NightRider
Had that happen twice. Yesterday, I had a Vette do that on the way home Like I'm that stupid! It's a freaking Vette

Last month on the way back from getting my windows tinting, i'm driving on the Interstate and a 350Z came on to the road from an exit and just jumps on my butt so i slide over a lane and he takes off like a rocket. Meanwhile the unmarked cop behind us (he had been there for about 5 miles and was the reason we were all going 65) just lights him up. Made my day!
Old 07-02-2004, 06:45 PM
Drifting

... that's the good thing of having a publicdata account. Whenever someone does stupid stuff to me in traffic I can get their license plate number and go over to their house and pay them a visit. I thought the information I received was outdated until one of my friends got involed in a hit and run incident and we found the car at the residents' house, the rest is history.
Old 07-02-2004, 07:56 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by planman
I've been driving my TL for a grand total of three days now and have had two separate instances where G35 drivers have either sped up in order to pass me once I passed them or started weaving their way through traffic to catch up once they saw me in front of them. In both cases, it was in fairly heavy city street traffic, so it wasn't like we were going to race or anything. Besides, with 100 miles on my car I'm not racing anyone.

Maybe I'm delusional and they weren't acting like this just because of the TL...but both of these guys suddenly started driving differently.
I had the G35 thing happen to me on Tuesday night. We acted like nothing was happening but we took turns passing each other....acting like we weren't trying.

Fun! That NEVER happened with my 93 Accord.
Old 07-02-2004, 08:43 PM
VTEC HoooA

I just took delivery of my TL today and already had this happen twice. The first time was with a Lexus IS300 (um can you spell owned..I think he can as all he saw were 2 letters TL as I pulled away). The other was a Civic, so I didn't bother :fingerfawk:

I have a buddy with a G35 Coupe that I took for a spin today....He loved the Navi and the bluetooth!! :P

I LOVE this car First day and I already have 100 miles on her
Old 07-03-2004, 01:18 AM
Advanced

Raced my wife..does that count, She was in the TL,I was in the "Hemi Ram"..guess who won..
Old 07-03-2004, 01:57 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Who?

Originally Posted by Rcat
Raced my wife..does that count, She was in the TL,I was in the "Hemi Ram"..guess who won..
I give up. Who? What circumstances? A stop light drag or thru the twisties?

XP
Old 07-03-2004, 06:08 AM
VTEC HoooA

The TL of course
Old 07-04-2004, 03:06 AM
Racer

I am guessing the most of these incidents involve people under 30 or who are just idiots. or likely both.
Old 07-04-2004, 03:43 AM
TL-SHAWD 6MT Rocks!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mobilezen
... that's the good thing of having a publicdata account. Whenever someone does stupid stuff to me in traffic I can get their license plate number and go over to their house and pay them a visit. I thought the information I received was outdated until one of my friends got involed in a hit and run incident and we found the car at the residents' house, the rest is history.
what's publicdata account ?
a service ?

how much?
Old 07-04-2004, 03:43 AM
TL-SHAWD 6MT Rocks!

sorry for your loss...
Old 07-06-2004, 02:49 PM
Racer

Here is a funny story. This probably happened to you. You are on a highway, in my case the NYS Thruway yesterday. I am in the fast lane doing 75 and a car is riding my ass. Telling me to speed up so he can pass me. I sped up a little to see if he would continue to ride close and he did. This time I punched it. Redlined it in 3rd to well over 100. He was way behind. I cooled off and slowed back down to 75. A minute later, he finally blew by me. I stayed at 75. That's the only way he thought he could beat me. Funny...
It was a Saab BTW... I hate Saabs
Old 07-06-2004, 02:58 PM
Burning Brakes

I think it's less "G35" vs. "TL", than it is car buffs with competitive cars wanting to play a bit. Hell, I get G35's, 3er's, and A4's that want to play with my R all the time - and it's a wagon. I think they just want to see what it can do, not that they want one or are in any way jealous. I also second the above post about the twisties. I just drove through the Cascade Mountains at speeds of up to 100MPH, there’s no way a FWD car could have kept up.
Old 07-06-2004, 03:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Michaelvg1
I am in the fast lane doing 75 and a car is riding my ass.
One question. Were you passing anyone at the time? If not, why were you in the "fast" lane? If you were, great, no problem. But, it's not really the fast lane, it's the passing lane. Once you pass you should get over and stay over to the right unless you need to pass again. Not trying to flame you personally. Just a pet peave of mine. Please don't drive in the "passing" lane if you aren't passing anyone regardless how "fast" you are going. Fast is all relative. I may want to go 80 and you 75. We are both going fast. But, a considerate driver doing 75 would move over for another considerate driver (not tailgating) doing 80...in a perfect world.

Sorry, just go back from a 1000 mile trip. So many people don't understand this simple concept. I always want to ask people "why were roads increased to 2 instead of 1 lane in the first place?". The answer is so faster traffic can pass slower traffic. That is the only reason. Not so people can lollygag in the passing lane not passing anyone.

Remember...it's not the fast lane, it's the passing lane.
Old 07-06-2004, 03:10 PM
Racer

I guess I should have been more specific for those techies. Yes, you are correct... excuse me, it was the passing lane. And yes there were many cars in the right lane I was passing. Just not passing them at 100. When I finally had room to move to the right, I did.

Hope this is OK.
Old 07-06-2004, 03:31 PM
Burning Brakes

I guess I should have been more specific for those techies. Yes, you are correct... excuse me, it was the passing lane. And yes there were many cars in the right lane I was passing. Just not passing them at 100. When I finally had room to move to the right, I did.

Hope this is OK.
Cool. Glad to hear it.
Old 07-06-2004, 03:42 PM
Instructor

Dcarlin,

Unfortunately, that door swings both ways. A ver high percentage of drivers in the "passing lane" won't let a considerate driver back in the passing lane when they come upon a really slow vehicle. No good answer, really except to recuce traffic. I know that I never shed a tear if someone going 90-100 has to slow down.
Old 07-06-2004, 03:56 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 999999
Dcarlin,

Unfortunately, that door swings both ways. A ver high percentage of drivers in the "passing lane" won't let a considerate driver back in the passing lane when they come upon a really slow vehicle. No good answer, really except to recuce traffic. I know that I never shed a tear if someone going 90-100 has to slow down.

I disagree somewhat. The cars in the right/slow lane must yeild to those in the passing/fast lane. Those in the fast lane are under no obligation to allow someone to merge into the passing lane. You are right that it is considerate to do do. Same goes for people on the on-ramp. They must yield to the cars in the right/slow lane. Simple really. It is considerate to let someone over, but you are not required to do so. In fact, in my state, KY, you are required to get out of the passing lane if not passing. Unfortunately, they don't enforce it.
Old 07-06-2004, 04:00 PM
SOLD

Dcarlin,

I second this! I hate when I am going 80 in the open stretch of fast/passing lane and come upon a car going 55 and they will not change lanes most of the time. On the other hand, I don't appreciate when I'm going 80 in the fast/passing lane and someone is riding me. Usually I go a little faster, if that doesn't work, buh bye I pull into the next lane - in hopes of seeing their car plus a white car pulled over ahead....
Old 07-06-2004, 04:05 PM
Instructor

Dcarlin,

That is all fine, but you are just assuring the status quo with that attitude. Happy motoring!
Old 07-06-2004, 04:06 PM
Disproportionate Member

Originally Posted by dcarlinf1
One question. Were you passing anyone at the time? If not, why were you in the "fast" lane? If you were, great, no problem. But, it's not really the fast lane, it's the passing lane. Once you pass you should get over and stay over to the right unless you need to pass again. Not trying to flame you personally. Just a pet peave of mine. Please don't drive in the "passing" lane if you aren't passing anyone regardless how "fast" you are going. Fast is all relative. I may want to go 80 and you 75. We are both going fast. But, a considerate driver doing 75 would move over for another considerate driver (not tailgating) doing 80...in a perfect world.

Sorry, just go back from a 1000 mile trip. So many people don't understand this simple concept. I always want to ask people "why were roads increased to 2 instead of 1 lane in the first place?". The answer is so faster traffic can pass slower traffic. That is the only reason. Not so people can lollygag in the passing lane not passing anyone.

Remember...it's not the fast lane, it's the passing lane.
Old 07-06-2004, 04:41 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by digital_b
I am guessing the most of these incidents involve people under 30 or who are just idiots. or likely both.
Just turned 30...i see the light!
Old 07-06-2004, 04:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Give it a chance...

Originally Posted by BarryH
I think it's less "G35" vs. "TL", than it is car buffs with competitive cars wanting to play a bit. Hell, I get G35's, 3er's, and A4's that want to play with my R all the time - and it's a wagon. I think they just want to see what it can do, not that they want one or are in any way jealous. I also second the above post about the twisties. I just drove through the Cascade Mountains at speeds of up to 100MPH, there’s no way a FWD car could have kept up.
Barry, I feel I'm missing part of a puzzle. What is it you are driving through the Cascades? What is an "R" wagon?

Do you really think FWD has anything to do with cornering ability rather than handling characteristics? Do you think the individual tires, the only contact with the ground, know whether it's FWD or RWD? Are you aware that, in testing in Road and Track in April of this year, a base TL with HPT got better skid pad AND slalom numbers than an '04 BMW 530i with a Sport Package (wheels, tires, suspension)? The same testers gave a subjective rating for skid pad balance on BOTH cars as "moderate understeer". For slalom balance, they rated the TL as "moderate understeer" and the BMW as "mild understeer".

In professional testing, the TL gets through the twisties faster than a BMW 530i especially with more power and acceleration and better braking 80-0. The testers noted: "In the slalom, the TL threads through the cones with utmost agility, giving the car a bit of on-throttle oversteer character, thanks to its rear suspension geometry..." That suspension, BTW, is double wishbone at the four corners just like Ferrari, Lamborghini, and Corvette.

Other than pre-conception, why would you think a FWD TL would not be able to keep up with your wagon (not sure what it is) when it beats a RWD BMW handling icon?

I used to be prejudiced against FWD too until I started putting the TL through its paces. I suggest, if you haven't done so already, that you do the same. Give it a chance to show you what it can do.

Keep in mind: I also have a BMW and I know the difference.

Cheers,
XP
Old 07-06-2004, 04:54 PM
Advanced

Here is a funny story. This probably happened to you. You are on a highway, in my case the NYS Thruway yesterday. I am in the fast lane doing 75 and a car is riding my ass. Telling me to speed up so he can pass me. I sped up a little to see if he would continue to ride close and he did. This time I punched it. Redlined it in 3rd to well over 100. He was way behind. I cooled off and slowed back down to 75. A minute later, he finally blew by me. I stayed at 75. That's the only way he thought he could beat me. Funny...
It was a Saab BTW... I hate Saabs
I saw three TL's on the NYS Thruway yesterday-two Silver, one Anthracite. All were headed East either between Syracuse and Utica, or Rochester and Utica. I was headed West and appreciated the TL "look" while going in the opposite direction. It is a great cruising car!
Old 07-06-2004, 05:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Xpditor
Barry, I feel I'm missing part of a puzzle. What is it you are driving through the Cascades? What is an "R" wagon?
Volvo V70R. (http://vcc.volvocars.se/r/chassiframe.asp?which=signal)

Do you really think FWD has anything to do with cornering ability rather than handling characteristics?
Simple physics of weight distribution and transference of weight under extreme conditions. In a high-speed corner, nothing's going to overcome the fact that the majority of the car's weight is over the wheels that are driving it. Driving through pre-set cones equal distances apart on flat smooth asphalt isn’t the same as canyon carving at high speeds.

I used to be prejudiced against FWD too until I started putting the TL through its paces.
I had a non-A-Spec TL overnight. I wasn't wowed by its handling on roads I was pretty familiar with (not that it wasn't competent, just not a great handler).

Keep in mind: I also have a BMW and I know the difference.
Me too. I have a '04 325cic w/Sport and 18" wheels
Old 07-06-2004, 05:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Takes time...

Simple physics of weight distribution and transference of weight under extreme conditions. In a high-speed corner, nothing's going to overcome the fact that the majority of the car's weight is over the wheels that are driving it. Driving through pre-set cones equal distances apart on flat smooth asphalt isn’t the same as canyon carving at high speeds.
...and weight transfer on braking to the steering and driving wheels is a bad thing? I don't think so. On acceleration, there is still weight on the steering wheels more than on a RWD. I know all these theories that you are sharing with me. I'm not talking theories. I am talking about actual performance and objective testing. There are many, many, factors. You are reciting the well worn dogma that we enthusiasts have been telling each other for years.

I read up on your Volvo and it sounds very good in the promotional material. I bet you have fun with it!

I had a non-A-Spec TL overnight. I wasn't wowed by its handling on roads I was pretty familiar with (not that it wasn't competent, just not a great handler).
I agree that the "feel" is different. In other words, I wasn't used to the subjective feedback. But, it handled like it was on rails- only in a different way. Kind of like a Porsche is much different from Corvette. Different balance. It took me a while to get used to the Porsche, but once I did.... Look out! It took me longer than overnight to adapt to the different feel. Same with the TL. But that's me.

XP
Old 07-06-2004, 05:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Dcarlin,

That is all fine, but you are just assuring the status quo with that attitude. Happy motoring!

I'm just saying that people should yeild properly. The slow lane yeilds to the passing lane, period. If everyone would adopt this simple approach, many traffic problems would be solved. I for one do not expect people to slow down and let me over simply because I put on my turn signal. It is my responsibility to wait until it's clear. Once I am there, I expect those in the slow lane to yeild to me just like I had to. It should be common sense. But, as we all know, you don't need common sense to get a license.
Old 07-06-2004, 05:58 PM