Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reverse Hit n' Run Scam??? &story inside

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 04:44 PM
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 13 Posts
Reverse Hit n' Run Scam??? &story inside

As some of you already know, I was recently involved in a hit n' run. Insurance has been claimed, and their plate has been run.

Here is the catch. The hit n' run happened about 2 days ago, where my car was parked and, the person who hit it sideswipped the rear bumper of my car while they backed out and turned too early, so their front corner scraped myrear side.

This all happened while I was eating and I came out to find a fairly large chunk of the other cars' styrofoam bumper cover(white foam behind plastic bumper) on the ground next to my car. I also found their sidemarker stuck in my tire well between my wheel and fender.

While I was examning the parts (length of ~10 sec.), a lady approached me. she was a manager at the bank and she said she witnessed the accident happen and said one of the bystanders took down the lic. plate number and another one took a picture of the scene aftermath. So there are a total of two witnesses, and a bank manager.

She had approached me with a torn piece of paper that already had the information of the 2 bystanders written down.

Here is where it gets weird. Because of the accident, and just the rush at the time, I didn't even reason out why the bank manager cared so much to come running out to me within 10 seconds of me arriving to my car. I called the guy who took a picture of the aftermath, and he said he didnt see the accident, but he claims that as he was walking out of the bank, a lady, the first witness, was standing next to my car and thought it was his car, but he said no his car is the car on the other side of mine. He had a camera in his car and thought it was a good idea to take a picture of the scene.

Now when I'm putting this puzzle all together, the car that sideswipped me couldn't have been going that fast that the styrofoam cover flew off and broke into pieces. Keep in mind, the styrofoam cover is BEHINd the plastic bumper. The damage on my car is a few dents and gashes, but nothing that shows enough impact to damage the styrofoam cover like that, or even cause it to fall out.

The insurance company did tell me that the Lic. plate number registered to a 2003 Lexus. The styrofoam cover that was left on the ground, as well as the sidemarker that supposedly fell off his/her car have toyota imprinted on them. That does make sense, but the fishy part about this is that the bank manager happens to be armenian. The witness' phone number that the bank manager gave me sounded very armenian on the phone as well.

The rep. at my insurance company cannot release any of the information about the other person. I asked him if it was a male/female driver and he told me that he truthfully cannot even pronounce the name. I have a feeling that it is going to be an armenian name and if that is true, this whole situation is going to seem real fishy to me.

Can anyone could help me figure out this puzzle before I go insane? If i've been set-up, what could THEY possibly get out of this by damaging THEIr car into mine, and running away, but yet leaving me with some type of witness/information?

PS: I dont have anything against armenians, its just what nationality all of the characters involved happen to be.
Old 10-04-2006, 04:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 93 Posts
Doesnt seem like a very good scam, does it?
Old 10-04-2006, 04:57 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know but when you figure it out, submit a script to Hollywood. Could be the new Usual Suspects...
Old 10-04-2006, 05:00 PM
Safety Car

No it doesnt seem like a scam, or set up at all. But have you read the story at all? It doesnt happen often where you sideswiped someone pulling out of a parking spot where the styrofoam cover inside of your bumper cover falls off into pieces. They are not made out of eggshells.
Old 10-04-2006, 05:11 PM
Opium den in

Azno... you do know Lexus is manufactured by Toyota, put those Sherlock books down Someone did the same thing to me, hence the damage on my rear bumper and side panel, backed out of the spot and turned too early. I dont think its beneficial for them to get into another accident to tell insurance that someone else damaged their car. More than likely its chance but there are many people out there who will do anything it takes so they dont have to drop an extra quarter and make an extra million due to a law suit.
Old 10-04-2006, 06:15 PM
.:KCCO:.

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
ya, i think you should stop reading The Hardy Boys and go pick up a car mag.
Old 10-04-2006, 07:26 PM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not sure where the confusion is. Are you saying there is no way the bumper foam would've broken that much on a simple impact? It seems completely reasonable to me that it could break off, if the bumper hooked onto your fender/wheelwell and got torn off. If there was enough force to leave a sidemarker behind, then there's plenty to break the brittle foam, too.

The fact that the two parties might be Armenian seems reasonable. If the bank manager is Armenian, perhaps others in the Armenian community like doing business there.

The best part is that you have the plate info and witnesses. Let the police and insurance take care of it for you. I know what a hassle it is to deal with this stuff, so good luck with everything.
Old 10-04-2006, 07:33 PM
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I gotta agree- sounds fishy to me. Maybe they want to jack your car, after finding out where you live.

I'm from Detroit, where this strange stuff happens all the time.
Old 10-04-2006, 07:33 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Originally Posted by Final
Azno... you do know Lexus is manufactured by Toyota, put those Sherlock books down

I think he is aware

Originally Posted by aznbo187
The insurance company did tell me that the Lic. plate number registered to a 2003 Lexus. The styrofoam cover that was left on the ground, as well as the sidemarker that supposedly fell off his/her car have toyota imprinted on them. That does make sense

Get someone to run the plate for you on a public records search and find out the name of the person.
Old 10-04-2006, 07:53 PM
Advanced

You are quite the conspiracy theorist. Well honestly, I'd be a little wary too but any suspicion would be formed by an irrational prejudice. Most importantly, have you filed a police report yet?
Old 10-04-2006, 08:27 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by bluenoise
I'm not sure where the confusion is. Are you saying there is no way the bumper foam would've broken that much on a simple impact? It seems completely reasonable to me that it could break off, if the bumper hooked onto your fender/wheelwell and got torn off. If there was enough force to leave a sidemarker behind, then there's plenty to break the brittle foam, too.

The fact that the two parties might be Armenian seems reasonable. If the bank manager is Armenian, perhaps others in the Armenian community like doing business there.

The best part is that you have the plate info and witnesses. Let the police and insurance take care of it for you. I know what a hassle it is to deal with this stuff, so good luck with everything.
I dont believe that it's impossible, but my common sense and knowledge with cars tells me that at 10-20 miles per hour the styrofoam part of a bumper, which is wedged in between the chassis and the bumper cover, is very likely to fall out, especially on a 2003 lexus model (thats what the lic. plate results stated)

And as far as the plate info and witness, I'm worried about that because that is my main concern. What if they are all part of the scam???
Old 10-04-2006, 08:45 PM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm guessing the foam wasn't knocked out by the impact, but fell out when the bumper got pulled away from the chassis. Perhaps the bumper cover got peeled open, foam fell out, and then, when the bumper unhooked from your fender, it snapped back into place leaving the sidemarker behind.
Old 10-04-2006, 11:20 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
1. Worry about only things that you can control
2. Why the prejudice slap aganist Armenians when every ethnic group has scammers including yours and mine?
Old 10-04-2006, 11:23 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by MR1
1. Worry about only things that you can control
2. Why the prejudice slap aganist Armenians when every ethnic group has scammers including yours and mine?
There is no prejudice against any race. I have plenty of armenian friends.

"PS: I dont have anything against armenians, its just what nationality all of the characters involved happen to be."

Qoute from my first post.
Old 10-05-2006, 02:02 AM
Advanced

you are probably in glendale. even my armenians friends tell me to watch out for armenian scams and to always file a police report.
Old 10-05-2006, 09:13 AM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
would you have had the same problem if they were black, mexican, phillipino, german, swedish, indian, pakistani, martian, plutonian, maldivian, turkish, japanese, latvian or russian??

either way your car was parked and they are providing witness testimony on the damage done.

and we wonder why ppl no longer step up to be good samaritans....
Old 10-05-2006, 09:38 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
the insurance company is in on too... they've been paid off by the arimite government...this is all an effort to get your car in the body shop...also owned by armenians at which time they will be implating listening devices on your car along with a dirty bomb that they will get you to blow up in from of the armenian consulate precisly when george bush is meeting them there...

could it be EL Guapo that you were in the armenian part of town? and that they are not trying to scam you but rather they are just angry because you do not know what a plethera means?
Old 10-05-2006, 09:48 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by nyctl
and we wonder why ppl no longer step up to be good samaritans....
what are you trying to say? you have to be from samarta in order to be good and tell the truth? i think the real issue here is the aremnians felt slighted when the samaritans got known for being stand up people and the aramenians are now trying to get that title back...forget what i said earlier about the dirty bomb ...this is much bigger than bush,this is about world history they want history to read

" GOOD ARMENIAN " instead good samaritan... those bastards
Old 10-05-2006, 09:55 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
guy, i think YOU are the one who is fishy! these people were kind enough to help you out and you are hating on them! lol. what the hell?
Old 10-05-2006, 10:57 AM
Black Mamba

Originally Posted by CleanCL
guy, i think YOU are the one who is fishy! these people were kind enough to help you out and you are hating on them! lol. what the hell?
haha, cosign.
Old 10-05-2006, 11:06 AM
Retired and Loving It

aznbo187,

Call the cops, call your insurance, and calm down. Then get back to work on the quad exhaust mod!
Old 10-05-2006, 11:25 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by typeR
what are you trying to say? you have to be from samarta in order to be good and tell the truth? i think the real issue here is the aremnians felt slighted when the samaritans got known for being stand up people and the aramenians are now trying to get that title back...forget what i said earlier about the dirty bomb ...this is much bigger than bush,this is about world history they want history to read

" GOOD ARMENIAN " instead good samaritan... those bastards
you have a point.....this is HUGE!!!!!
look how my own bias has slighted the Armenians of their birthright!
Old 10-05-2006, 11:46 AM
6MT & LSD

Wow, talk about being paranoid...

The police will contact that Lexus-driving scam artist and get his side of the story, so go get a copy of the police report. Let's just pray that the cops aren't Armenians... woooo.....
Old 10-05-2006, 12:06 PM
Safety Car

Geez, way to jump on a guy. I love how the fact that I stated they were armenian, or any other race for that matter, isn't important. It was just important because they were of the same race and most the times same races do good as a team effort. (italian mob, etc.) dont deny it!

I dont blame anyone for being a good samaritan, armenian, citizen, or whatever race they want to be. It wasnt my first instinct to be suspicious, but after a small thought crossed my mind, all the pieces just fit in.

Maybe i'll just stick to reading goosebumps in the future, not forums. =X
Old 10-05-2006, 12:59 PM
Cruisin'

LOL scam... yes things seem a bit fishy, but my last car (infiniti fx), was rammed by an old guy (in his 70's), backing up. Funny thing was I had just helped him, and when a "good semeritan" came in and described him and his car.... we confronted him about it and said he hadn't been out of the house all day, and he had let his 16 year old neighbor use the car....

what kind of scam do you think these people are pulling by damaging your car? only thing they could be doing is giving you the license number for some poor innocent person, when in reality one of their own hit your car
Old 10-05-2006, 02:06 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by aznbo187
Geez, way to jump on a guy. I love how the fact that I stated they were armenian, or any other race for that matter, isn't important. It was just important because they were of the same race and most the times same races do good as a team effort. (italian mob, etc.) dont deny it!

I dont blame anyone for being a good samaritan, armenian, citizen, or whatever race they want to be. It wasnt my first instinct to be suspicious, but after a small thought crossed my mind, all the pieces just fit in.

Maybe i'll just stick to reading goosebumps in the future, not forums. =X
here's where it gets wierd....
i think you forgot to factor in the fact that the two cars are both japanese and the parts are also made in japan (remember the stryofoam)............you're missing the yakuza .....think about that missing piece.......
Old 10-05-2006, 02:48 PM
Opium den in

i think you forgot to factor in the fact that the two cars are both japanese and the parts are also made in japan (remember the stryofoam)............you're missing the yakuza .....think about that missing piece.......
LOL what are you talking about?
Old 10-05-2006, 02:52 PM
Opium den in

Originally Posted by Ernie Golfs
aznbo187,

Call the cops, call your insurance, and calm down. Then get back to work on the quad exhaust mod!
Yea whats the deal with that quad exhaust? How much is it gonna run?

// Final
Old 10-05-2006, 03:26 PM
Intermediate

Although his suspicions are highly unlikely that he would be part of some grand plot, from which he has yet to suffer from unexpectingly, I think that not all options have been addressed here.

It IS possible that the person ran over to you in order to mislead you. It is possible that the woman was or knew someone who was involved in the accident and decided to pose as a good samaritan to help get you off track. They could have easily provided you with a license plate from a nearby Toyota or Lexus and based on that information, the police would be investigating that particular vehicle. Friends have told me once that someone they knew tried to mislead the person someone in a similar manner. That's why it popped into my head right away after reading the story.

None the less, if this is just a unfortunate accident and nothing 'fishy' going on, then I think you owe a lot of thanks to the good samaritan.

My best advice to you would be to stop stressing over this too much because unfortunately this happens far too often and its out of your hands at this point. Let the insurance company do the investigating. They are more likely to be aware of any such scams than you are.
Old 10-05-2006, 04:33 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by GIVER
Although his suspicions are highly unlikely that he would be part of some grand plot, from which he has yet to suffer from unexpectingly, I think that not all options have been addressed here.

It IS possible that the person ran over to you in order to mislead you. It is possible that the woman was or knew someone who was involved in the accident and decided to pose as a good samaritan to help get you off track. They could have easily provided you with a license plate from a nearby Toyota or Lexus and based on that information, the police would be investigating that particular vehicle. Friends have told me once that someone they knew tried to mislead the person someone in a similar manner. That's why it popped into my head right away after reading the story.

None the less, if this is just a unfortunate accident and nothing 'fishy' going on, then I think you owe a lot of thanks to the good samaritan.

My best advice to you would be to stop stressing over this too much because unfortunately this happens far too often and its out of your hands at this point. Let the insurance company do the investigating. They are more likely to be aware of any such scams than you are.

Thank you for the information. I never would have thought about it from that point of view.
Old 12-31-2006, 09:01 PM
B A N N E D

hahahaha

anywys, firgured it out yet. got me wonderin too. go to the bank again and see if that person really was the manager, could juts be clamin.
Old 01-01-2007, 01:29 PM
Instructor

for the ones that live in cali i think we knew the answer if it was a scam or not the min he said armenian
Old 01-01-2007, 01:43 PM
Visionary Styles Crew

this forums started out serious and has become one big joke. give the guy a break. he's upset about his car being hit and he had a gut feeling that something might not be right with the story. in the end his insurance will pay out and all will be fine. i do find the responses funny as hell.