Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing RockBlocker & Spraying Tails

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 12:21 PM
AM MT Navi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Removing RockBlocker & Spraying Tails

I currently have my tail lights (as well as rear sidemarkers) smoked with RockBlocker tint. I like the look a lot, but when you're within a few feet of the car you can see imperfections. It looks like the tint has shrunk and there is glue residue around the edge...where the tint was originally.

Anyway, I want to take this vinyl tint off and am thinking of spraying them with some VHT Nite Shades. I think it'll be a much cleaner look.
I've read a couple tutorials and it seems easy enough.
http://home.hot.rr.com/u350z/howto.html
http://newcelica.org/forums/showthread.php?t=204207

1) Anyone have any recommendations on removing RockBlocker film? My idea is yankin at it and throwin some goo gone under it. There might be something more efficient

2) Are there any down sides to the spray tint other than permanence? That doesn't bother me at all.

Any other ideas, recommendations, comments welcome...just no hating on my wing spoiler
Old 07-27-2006, 12:37 PM
05WDP Midlife crisis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How about a heat gun/hair dryer to heat adhesive?
Old 07-27-2006, 01:16 PM
AM MT Navi

Originally Posted by joed40
How about a heat gun/hair dryer to heat adhesive?
I thought about that too, but was afraid of making more of a sticky mess. I e-mail rockblocker, we'll see what they have to say.

Has anyone sprayed the tail lights of a 3rd gen yet? If so, please post pics.
Old 07-27-2006, 01:27 PM
05WDP Midlife crisis

Never sprayed TL, but did others. Need to sand the raised printing on the lens itself. I did forget once, just once.
Old 07-27-2006, 01:29 PM
Instructor

As an alternative to the spraying you might want to try these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ACURA...QQcmdZViewItem

I was skeptical at first but they work and look better than my friends rockblockers. His have the inperfections and glue as well. These work just like a window cling and are very smooth. You do have to watch out when you wash your car etc., but other than that they are great. Plus you can remove them at any time and put them back on.
Old 07-27-2006, 01:49 PM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by walker29
As an alternative to the spraying you might want to try these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ACURA...QQcmdZViewItem

I was skeptical at first but they work and look better than my friends rockblockers. His have the inperfections and glue as well. These work just like a window cling and are very smooth. You do have to watch out when you wash your car etc., but other than that they are great. Plus you can remove them at any time and put them back on.
I'm sorry but these are shit. I tried them in hopes of saving alittle money on the rockblockers.....but they are basically attached by static cling to your car.

If you don't mind your lights being permanetly tinted go that route. I would have someone experienced do it for you, considering how much these lights are to replace if you screw up something you thought was going to be easy.
Old 07-27-2006, 01:52 PM
Instructor

They work great for me. Curious...why didn't they work for you?
Old 07-27-2006, 02:10 PM
AM MT Navi

Originally Posted by lembowski
I would have someone experienced do it for you, considering how much these lights are to replace if you screw up something you thought was going to be easy.
Believe me, I would defintely get them done professional if I knew someone local. It's the same problem I've had clearing the front headlights...I can't find anyone to do it with the exception of Mr. Z-I-P-P-S I know this place in Cali that sprays the tails...my cousin mailed his C6 tails there. However, I really don't feel like mailing my headlights or tail lights anywhere...incurring shipping both ways as well as being without lights for days.

The spray mod seems pretty damn easy...just might require a little patience with the wet sanding & all. If only I was so confident with clearing the headlights.

Originally Posted by walker29
They work great for me. Curious...why didn't they work for you?
I'm going to see if I can get some decent pics of the RockBlocker film right now. I'll post in a bit.
Old 07-27-2006, 02:12 PM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It was the whole application. Since there was no adhesive, it was had to get it to adhere to the light without bubbles. Also, once i got the two rears on, one actually came off while I was driving down the road. I stopped picked it up and went straight to the post office to return it to the same ebayer you recieved yours from. Its really not worth the $ in my opionion fo those. You can never go through an automatic touchless carwash with those, they will blow off, can't use the do it yourself high pressure washer.....they'll blow off.
Old 07-27-2006, 02:16 PM
Instructor

Here's mine with the cling type on. When applied correctly with alcohol and water, these stay on fine. I've had mine on for 4+ months with only one issue. I sprayed a pressure washer on it and it lifted in a corner. Got home - cleaned the film - re-applied and all is fine.

https://acurazine.com/forums/car-parts-sale-361/does-anyone-have-stock-carmats-advice-135212/
Old 07-27-2006, 02:19 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by lembowski
It was the whole application. Since there was no adhesive, it was had to get it to adhere to the light without bubbles. Also, once i got the two rears on, one actually came off while I was driving down the road. I stopped picked it up and went straight to the post office to return it to the same ebayer you recieved yours from. Its really not worth the $ in my opionion fo those. You can never go through an automatic touchless carwash with those, they will blow off, can't use the do it yourself high pressure washer.....they'll blow off.
I'll admit the application was a bit tricky. But I was able to get the film down without any bubbles and they look great. I take mine to the pressure coin wash every week. I just am really careful around the back lights.
Old 07-27-2006, 02:31 PM
AM MT Navi

Here's the pics. Please keep in mind I'm not bashing RockBlocker's product. I guess they were just not right for me. I've had them for a year & it was worth it definitely. If they come off as easy as they say (just pull off & use glass cleaner for the adhesive), I will be even happier.