Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remanufactured OEM Axles in SoCal

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2018, 05:59 PM
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts
Remanufactured OEM Axles in SoCal

I've been looking for the right axle to buy to replace my failing axles for the past year.. I bought a driver's side aftermarket axle from Napa w/lifetime warranty.. it lasted approx 1 - 1.5 years before i was getting intense shaking between 40-60 mph under torque

So I came across this shop that only specializes in axles and found out they rebuild oem axles and sell them for $60 a piece! I just came back from the shop after replacing my failing axles with the rebuilt oem ones and the ride feels unbelievably smooth now.. we'll see how long these rebuilt oem ones last, the shop owner provides 1 year warranty on the axles and he didnt mind at all that I was lowered on Tein S-techs.. they re-use the shaft but replace all the important bits and re-grease it

So for a complete set of axles and the labor to swap them out cost $240 out the door no tax and the guy got both axles replaced in under 2 hours... dropped the car off exactly at 9:45 and the car was on the lift by 10am and I got a call back at 11:50am saying it was done
Shop keeps your old oem axle to rebuild them... and throws the aftermarket ones in pile, he was showing me his collection of aftermarket axles that snapped in half and some of them were less than a year old... guy said he's been in business for over 25 years and the best part is he stocks his own shop with the parts on hand. I asked to see the axle before committing to the buy and he showed me his stock... I would say he has AT LEAST 10+ OEM rebuilt 04-08 Auto TL axles ready to be installed

If anyone around the SoCal area needs a cheaper option than Raxles.. you could literally buy 4 of these rebuilt oem axles and still have money left over compared to buying just buying 1 from Raxles.. the rebuilt quality probably wont be as good as raxles either but for $60 a piece I'm willing to invest my money in these rebuilt ones and we'll see how long they last

Shop is located in La Puente, CA
ABC Axles i believe the shop owner's name is Larry.. the guys got a bad ass gutted civic hatch track car with a engine swap sitting right outside the shop

If any of you are lucky enough to be in the area, you should check them out.. they dont have too many yelp reviews but it looks like even the honda master techs at the dealership in the area also recommend ABC Axles as an alternate solution

Remanufactured OEM Axles in SoCal-yglclgk.jpg

Remanufactured OEM Axles in SoCal-bbdbgpe.jpg

Remanufactured OEM Axles in SoCal-epzzplf.jpg

Remanufactured OEM Axles in SoCal-ii2f33r.jpg

Remanufactured OEM Axles in SoCal-u8hpews.jpg

Remanufactured OEM Axles in SoCal-cq9kaeg.jpg

Remanufactured OEM Axles in SoCal-cgs1vfv.jpg

Remanufactured OEM Axles in SoCal-7a07nmg.jpg

Last edited by champaned_out; 11-09-2018 at 06:06 PM.
Old 11-09-2018, 06:08 PM
Latent car nut

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,407 Posts
So I'm about as far away from SoCal as is possible in the continental 48 states; that said, I still have my OEM axles which were taken off six months ago, and I'm thinking I'd like to send him my old axles and have him remanufacture them; do you have his contact information?
Old 11-09-2018, 06:19 PM
Racer

ABC Axles (626) 369-7880
https://www.yelp.com/biz/abc-axle-la...?osq=ABC+Axles

I believe the shop owner's name was Larry, if you call him today or tomorrow you can tell him Eugene gave you his number he should remember me and I told him I would try and bring him some customers.. Now to be honest, I don't know if they would be willing to do what raxles does.. the shop is old school and from talking with the owner he's pretty old school himself so I dont know if he would be willing to do anything when it comes to shipping and all that, they don't have a online store or even a website but it doesnt hurt to ask
The following users liked this post:
horseshoez (11-09-2018)
Old 11-09-2018, 06:23 PM
Race Director

Received 2,316 Likes on 1,690 Posts
I wonder if he ships to Canada
Old 11-09-2018, 09:48 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by guitarplayer16
I wonder if he ships to Canada
again im very doubtful he will ship anything at all, the guy doesnt run a online business, unlike raxles which has a online store and customer database that would track orders and core charges etc etc.. he didnt even have a register or computer, just a pen, receipt paper and a credit card machine
Old 11-09-2018, 10:40 PM
Race Director

Received 2,316 Likes on 1,690 Posts
Originally Posted by champaned_out
again im very doubtful he will ship anything at all, the guy doesnt run a online business, unlike raxles which has a online store and customer database that would track orders and core charges etc etc.. he didnt even have a register or computer, just a pen, receipt paper and a credit card machine
How far are you from him? Simple favour for me?
Old 11-09-2018, 11:36 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by guitarplayer16
How far are you from him? Simple favour for me?
the shop is 5 minutes from girlfriends house lol.. listen if you talk with him and you guys come to an agreement to pay him money plus your oem axles for a set of his rebuilt oem axles in return than i can pm you my address so you can ship it to me and i can help ship it back... you'd pay shipping back of course but you'd still be coming out way ahead
The following users liked this post:
horseshoez (11-10-2018)
Old 11-10-2018, 09:00 AM
Race Director

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,346 Posts
sub'd Larry could potentially earn a ton of cash from the Honda/Acura/TL community. I see axle cores as being the main issue though. Sub'd for updates....

Last edited by nfnsquared; 11-10-2018 at 09:04 AM.
Old 11-10-2018, 09:41 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
BOTH my best bud from high school who owned an auto parts store for 25 years AND Paul, our star master mechanic here in North Jerzy say stay from rebuilt Axles. Rockauto has inexpensive NEW ones that work just fine. I have them installed almost a year now and have no complaints. Save your money!
Old 11-10-2018, 09:53 AM
Race Director

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,346 Posts
Meh, slightly valid point with regards to shaft shearing. The rebuild is in the joints, not the shaft. As long as the shaft is in good shape and the joint rebuild is quality, there's no reason to fear a rebuilt axle. I like the fact that Larry's rebuilds include the harmonic damper
Old 11-10-2018, 10:09 AM
Latent car nut

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,407 Posts
Originally Posted by nfnsquared
meh, slightly valid point with regards to shaft shearing. The rebuild is in the joints, not the shaft. As long as the shaft is in good shape and the joint rebuild is quality, there's no reason to fear a rebuilt axle. I like the fact that larry's rebuilds include the harmonic damper
Quoted for truth.
Old 11-10-2018, 12:18 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by DMZ
BOTH my best bud from high school who owned an auto parts store for 25 years AND Paul, our star master mechanic here in North Jerzy say stay from rebuilt Axles. Rockauto has inexpensive NEW ones that work just fine. I have them installed almost a year now and have no complaints. Save your money!
well i lived in jersey for a decade and youre right if i lived out there i wouldnt want a rebuilt one either... salt and rust is a bad combo

out here in sunny cali though? The shafts are still very durable and can be reused for a long time, we get rain maybe half a dozen times a year if we're lucky and obviously no snow or salt

like i said in my orignal post, ive gone down the aftermarket route and its hit or miss tbh, my napa axle brand new lasted less than 1.5 years..i will take OEM rebuilt over china made brand new axles any day... fitment is a HUGE issue with aftermarket anyway, none of them are the true proper oem length