3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Receiving TL on Monday - Need Help With One Thing.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2004, 09:17 AM
Team Camel Executive VP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Receiving TL on Monday - Need Help With One Thing.....

The tire issue....if someone can just give me a simple "yes" or "no" to these questions I'd really appreciate it.....read all the posts, but still am kung-fused on the issue:

1. My car shipped from the factory this week and is an Auto / Navi model. Will it have the improved Bridgestones?

2. Assuming my dealer is clueless, is there a way to read a code on the side of the tire to see if it's an improved version?

3. If not, is there an official policy from Acura that would allow me to demand replacement tires on the spot?

4. Is the Michelin the best choice to replace the Bridgestone's assuming that the dealer is willing to work with me on #1 to #3 above?

Thanks!
Old 03-12-2004, 09:31 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts
Don't know for sure, but I just took delivery on a WDP/Parchment/5AT/nonav with a 328XX vin and I don't seem to have the vibration problem everyone is complaining about. Perhaps newer tires are the reason. As far as replacements go, the decision to replace would be the dealers. If you go this route and they don't have them in stock, make sure you get it in writing from them on a "we owe" before you drive off the lot. Finally, my personal preference has always been Michelins for the balance between ride comfort and performance. There may be better tires out there but not for my money. If I end up replacing the Turanzas myself, it will be with the Pilot Sport A/S. In the meantime, congrats on your car. You'll love it
Old 03-12-2004, 09:35 AM
Instructor

Re: Receiving TL on Monday - Need Help With One Thing.....

Originally posted by boltjames
The tire issue....if someone can just give me a simple "yes" or "no" to these questions I'd really appreciate it.....read all the posts, but still am kung-fused on the issue:

1. My car shipped from the factory this week and is an Auto / Navi model. Will it have the improved Bridgestones?

2. Assuming my dealer is clueless, is there a way to read a code on the side of the tire to see if it's an improved version?

3. If not, is there an official policy from Acura that would allow me to demand replacement tires on the spot?

4. Is the Michelin the best choice to replace the Bridgestone's assuming that the dealer is willing to work with me on #1 to #3 above?

Thanks!
1. Maybe
2.Yes, but I don't know how
3. No
4. Maybe
Old 03-12-2004, 09:51 AM
Racer

1. I think so. I have VIN 247xx, no tire vibrations.
2. Yes. Look on the side wall, below the "t" in the Bridgestone logo for a stamped 4 digit number. Mine read 5103 and 5203, meaning they were manufactured in those weeks of 2003. I don't know the production runs of the defective tires, but if your dates fall after mine, you should be ok.
3. I don't know about on the spot replacement, and I don't know the exact procedure, but I do know that Acura has begun to acknowledge and work with owners of the bad tires.
4. Maybe, but the latest word is that if Acura from on high authorizes replacements, you'll probably end up with newer EL42s. They still suck, but at least they don't vibrate. As to which brand offers the best replacements, there several good choices and recommendations from previous threads. Try a search.
Old 03-12-2004, 10:39 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Lightbulb Re: Receiving TL on Monday - Need Help With One Thing.....

1. Yes.
2. Yes.
3. No.
4. No.

Since Acura rumors to have new EL42s, all the new car just built should come with them. IMO.

On the side of tires, there have four digits as tires' built-date. I saw one Green-Camel(or Parch?) with Navi arrived at dealership yesterday. Its VIN is around 34000, EL42s are 0704. (Mine is 3903.) You could comapre with this.

I don't think there is very detailed specific policy for replacing tires to customers. But, dealers may do their own alternatives to make customers satisfied.

Michelin is the popular one, but it doen't quarantee the best quality or satisfaction for your ride. However, since Michelin tires are usually costly, it's always good idea to have them if you cannot get what you prefer to.

Old 03-12-2004, 04:28 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
If you have to bear the cost of replacing the tires yourself, go with the ones top rated in Consumer Reports:

Falken ZIEX 512's - All Season
Goodyear F1's - Summer

The Falkens are ½ the price of the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S's and are rated a quieter tire.
Old 03-12-2004, 06:50 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Thanks guys.....great info!
Old 03-12-2004, 07:31 PM
Racer

go compare tires at tirerack.com based on CONSUMERS reviews. then decide. sometimes cheap tires are just that. cheap.
Old 03-12-2004, 08:12 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unless you have a really great dealer that's willing to pay for Michelins or another brand out of their own pocket, your choice will be limited to Bridgestone EL42's. The official Acura policy is to replace with the new version of these, and nothing else. I would guess that Bridgestone is supplying Acura with the replacements at no charge, but I don't know that for a fact.

Several people here have had dealers that paid for Michelins, and Acura corporate has paid for a few sets of Michelins and other tires. Supposedly, this practice has stopped, now that the new Bridgestones are to be available soon.

I haven't seen any definitive info on whether the tires currently shipping on TLs from the factory are the new version. I would expect that they would be, so you shouldn't have a problem. If this is the case, there's no way the dealer or Acura is going to buy new tires for anyone that gets the revised EL42's (unless the defect isn't actually fixed). They aren't the best tire out there, but aren't the worst either. That's pretty much the case with any car put on a car from the factory.