Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rearview Mirror w/compass for '05 TL non-Navi

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 10:22 AM
Master Tasker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rearview Mirror w/compass for '05 TL non-Navi

Hey guys - I have '05 TL non-navi and am hoping to put the auto dim rearview mirror with compass in but Acura doesn't offer one. I'm wondering if anyone know whether one from the '05 Accord would work? The part number I come up with is either 08V03-SDA-100B or 08V03-SDA-101A.

Alternatively, does Acura offer one for a different vehicle that would work?

I tried a Gentex model on my '06 Odyssey rather than go with the OEM version and it just didn't work right so I'm hoping to find the actual Honda/Acura product this time. I know that Gentex makes alot of the OEM stuff, but want to stick with OEM branding this time.

Also, I'm going to have to disconnect battery for this install and don't have the radio code as I bought the vehicle used. Anyone know easiest way to find it or get it from Acura?

Any help or suggestions are welcome. Thanks!
Old 08-15-2008, 10:59 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by taskmaster
Hey guys - I have '05 TL non-navi and am hoping to put the auto dim rearview mirror with compass in but Acura doesn't offer one. I'm wondering if anyone know whether one from the '05 Accord would work? The part number I come up with is either 08V03-SDA-100B or 08V03-SDA-101A.

I tried a Gentex model on my '06 Odyssey rather than go with the OEM version and it just didn't work right so I'm hoping to find the actual Honda/Acura product this time. I know that Gentex makes alot of the OEM stuff, but want to stick with OEM branding this time.

Also, I'm going to have to disconnect battery for this install and don't have the radio code as I bought the vehicle used. Anyone know easiest way to find it or get it from Acura?

Can't help you with your rearview mirror question but I think In order to get your radio code you have to get the serial number on the back of your radio or navi and call the dealer to have them look it up for you.
Old 08-15-2008, 12:44 PM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i think the compass works off of the GPS positioning antenna. so without navi... i doubt it'll work.
Old 08-15-2008, 01:47 PM
Jokerman

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
i thought somone tried doing this with a rearview mirror off an rdx or mdx.
Old 08-15-2008, 04:31 PM
Keeping it simple

Would be interested to see how this can be accomplished....

I asked about putting a TPMS in an 05 and couldnt get any answers besides "just get another car" ....... I even searched.....If you come up with something it'll be cool if you share it...I would like to have this in my vehicle...
Old 08-15-2008, 04:36 PM
Race Director

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ghlight=mirror
Old 08-15-2008, 05:10 PM
Master Tasker

Thank TrackRunner, I saw that but don't want the headache. I have the exact Gentex mirror in that post in my Odyssey and it doesn't cut the mustard. . .

I may just have to get an Accord or other Honda mirror and see what I can do. I'll let you know how I make out.

Still open to other suggestions in the meantime. . .
Old 08-15-2008, 06:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,011 Likes on 1,430 Posts
get the accessory one for the 07 MDX from a dealer. The 07 is the only year it is available for.
Old 08-16-2008, 01:46 PM
Master Tasker

Originally Posted by Jawbone
Can't help you with your rearview mirror question but I think In order to get your radio code you have to get the serial number on the back of your radio or navi and call the dealer to have them look it up for you.
Thanks Jawbone - I actually found the code on the side of the glovebox - doh!

csmeance - exactly what I was looking for. I found the instructions at handaaccessories - it's the exact same mount as in my TL. Thanks!

For anyone who's interested, the instructions are HERE and the OEM part number for the '07 MDX day/night mirror w/compass is 08V03-SDA-100B
Old 08-17-2008, 11:36 AM
Keeping it simple

^^^ Awesome thanks for this....I'll try tackling this in the next few months...

At the momet Im trying to get the TPMS to work....If I accomplish this then I'll post it up!!
Old 08-17-2008, 11:44 AM
Jokerman

Thanks Jawbone - I actually found the code on the side of the glovebox - doh!

csmeance - exactly what I was looking for. I found the instructions at handaaccessories - it's the exact same mount as in my TL. Thanks!

For anyone who's interested, the instructions are HERE and the OEM part number for the '07 MDX day/night mirror w/compass is 08V03-SDA-100B
in the istructions the mount looks different, but i could be wrong. Also is the compas built in or does it need a seperate cable to go to something else? I guess i will have to wait for you to see whats up with it, make sure you keep us informed.
Old 08-18-2008, 04:36 PM
Master Tasker

Originally Posted by jokerman826
in the istructions the mount looks different, but i could be wrong. Also is the compas built in or does it need a seperate cable to go to something else? I guess i will have to wait for you to see whats up with it, make sure you keep us informed.
Good call Jokerman - I took the mirror off today before buying the new one and the mount on my TL is a "pressure spring" type that simply slips on and off. It is not the type as indicated in these instructions where you turn it 90 degrees to disengage it. The connector still looks good, but the mount is not the same. Back to the drawing board. . .

New question - anyone know which other Acuras/Hondas also have that same pressure spring mechanism for the rearview mirror?
Old 08-18-2008, 08:33 PM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
Actually how exactly do you get the rearview mirror off? I was trying to get mine off the other day and couldn't do it. I didn't want to break anything. I searched the forum and no luck. Technique?
Old 08-18-2008, 10:12 PM
Jokerman

i am pretty sure that someone has a service manual here that will be more than willing to help another a-ziner out.
Old 08-19-2008, 01:34 AM
Team Anthracite

ok.. to get the radio code... with radio off... hold 1 & 6... then power on... it should give u a code... copy it down and bring it to dealer showing proof of ownership/or if u know someone in honda.. then they can give u ur codes =)
Old 08-19-2008, 09:25 AM
Master Tasker

Originally Posted by rockyfeller
Actually how exactly do you get the rearview mirror off? I was trying to get mine off the other day and couldn't do it. I didn't want to break anything. I searched the forum and no luck. Technique?
There's a slot at the bottom of the mirror cover. Tape up a small screw driver so you don't mark up the cover, put the screwdriver in that slot, then use a plastic hammer or the palm of your hand to gently tap the screw driver downward. It will pop off - it's simply held on with spring tension.
Old 08-19-2008, 10:34 AM
Instructor

You can use the rear view mirror off a nissan with the compass (maxima) and it will work just fine.......Unlike Acura, Nissan has both navi and rear view mirror set up with compass
Old 08-19-2008, 11:08 AM
Safety Car

dude go get one of those globe compasses that suction to the windshield....ull be better off and save a ton of money
Old 08-22-2008, 02:56 PM
Master Tasker

Originally Posted by DaddysOnehotAck
You can use the rear view mirror off a nissan with the compass (maxima) and it will work just fine.......Unlike Acura, Nissan has both navi and rear view mirror set up with compass
Thanks - the mount is not the same. The mount is the big issue. I could use any variety of Honda, Acura, Nissan, Donelly, etc, except that I was hoping to not have to put a new mount on the inside of the windshield.
Old 04-06-2009, 02:33 PM
Master Tasker

Talking Finally did this mod. . .

OK Guys, I FINALLY bit the bullet and did this mod. After months of searching I found no RV mirror with compass that has compatible mount with my '05 TL. Soooo, I opted for a Donnelly temp/compass RV mirror (bought new on ebay for $80) with a standard mount. Removed the OEM mirror as indicated in other posts here - removed map lights and overhead moulding, unplugged mirror harness, tapped gently on mirror bracket in downward motion to remove.

Then I simply attached the new mirror just below the other being careful not to damage the glass. I left the old mounting plate on the glass - you cannot see it as it is above the line of the map light moulding at the roof line. Used wire splices to tap the power from the existing harness, and - yes - I did run and hookup the new temp probe. Even though my TL has the temp gauge already in it, I figured it doesn't make much sense to have the temp on the mirror and not use it.

REMEMBER - if you do this mod be VERY CAREFUL OF YOUR WINDSHIELD!! It will crack easily. That's why all of that black reinforced area is around the existing mirror mount.

I know this is not for everyone but it works for me! If anyone is interested in photos or more detail, let me know.