Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Turn Signal Mod . .?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2005, 08:34 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rear Turn Signal Mod . .?

Was driving behind my '05 TL today (in wifes BMW) and noticed how weak the turn signal looks. And it is a <gasp> bulb NOT Led. I thought all the rear lighting was LEDS. So, is there a rear turn signal mod that I can't find on the forum. I'd love to replace the turn signal bulb with a(brighter bulb b)brighter LEDS. Frankly I think this car should have had a nice bright amber LED signal. The BMW is bright bright bright. Anyone clever already figger this out yet?

Old 02-27-2005, 08:47 PM
iLL TL 4U2Try

I might be wrong but mines looks like It has the LED effect... could be wrong but it doesn't look like a normal buld... kinda like the caddy
Old 02-27-2005, 09:50 PM
[]( O)( O)% []D[][]V[][]D

well you can always pick up a LED bulb n pop it in?
Old 02-28-2005, 06:12 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by iLL TL
I might be wrong but mines looks like It has the LED effect... could be wrong but it doesn't look like a normal buld... kinda like the caddy
Take another look at yours. It has the 'bulb' effect. Doesn't snap on and off like an LED but has the latency of a bulb. Maybe the factory ran out of LED's and substituted huh? One fellow mentioned poping in an LED but I don't think it's that simple with ballast or resistors on that circuit needed. Surely some else has noticed (remedy) this???

Old 02-28-2005, 06:26 AM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Bulbs...

The turn signals are standard filament bulbs, look in the owners manual for confirmation of this.

LED's brighter? I'm afraid not. Because of the very directional nature of LED light dispersal (mostly straight out the end) the net effect of replacing the bulbs with LED's (if you can even find a one for one replacement for these bulbs) will be LESS visibility, not more. There's no benefit of any light bounce from the reflector with LED's. And the problem of having to wire resistors into the circuit to keep the flashers from fast flashing, the warning that there's a bulb burned out built into most every flasher module these days.

How do I know this? I've tried doing it on another vehicle I owned and the results were really disappointing and bordering on dangerous because the LED's got washed out in daylight and were difficult to see flashing at an angle.

On the other hand, I've been behind another TL and do agree that the rear turn signals aren't very visible. Finding higher intensity bulbs would be a better solution.
Old 02-28-2005, 08:07 AM
Wants an M3 in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^ great write up ... i'd give you points but heh ...
Old 02-28-2005, 09:46 AM
Racer

yeah... of all the things we got rid of why did we kill off the rep points?

I was getting kinda high on those... <sniff>
Old 02-28-2005, 03:36 PM
04 TL 6MT NAVI ABP/Q

Also dont forget that often when you swap a Bulb for LED in a turn signal, it changes the rate of flash. Has something to do with the resistance a bulb offers and how the flasher circuit uses that to time itself. The LED flashes alot faster.

SuperBrightLEDs.com has a little box you can put inline when doing this kind of mod that supposedly makes it blink at the right speed, but I've never seen em first hand.
Old 03-01-2005, 09:21 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by kosh2258
The turn signals are standard filament bulbs, look in the owners manual for confirmation of this.

LED's brighter? I'm afraid not. Because of the very directional nature of LED light dispersal (mostly straight out the end) the net effect of replacing the bulbs with LED's (if you can even find a one for one replacement for these bulbs) will be LESS visibility, not more. There's no benefit of any light bounce from the reflector with LED's. And the problem of having to wire resistors into the circuit to keep the flashers from fast flashing, the warning that there's a bulb burned out built into most every flasher module these days.

How do I know this? I've tried doing it on another vehicle I owned and the results were really disappointing and bordering on dangerous because the LED's got washed out in daylight and were difficult to see flashing at an angle.

On the other hand, I've been behind another TL and do agree that the rear turn signals aren't very visible. Finding higher intensity bulbs would be a better solution.
Yep thanks for confirming that. I was kinda hoping someone had investigated the higher intensity bulb thing for the TL. We have a lot of tech savy people here. I think the tail end of the TL is really classy/sassy looking but I'm still pinning for a bright amber turn signal to offset that dull red one they designed.
Old 03-01-2005, 09:32 AM
Instructor

Sounds like a job for custom part manufacturing

I too feel that the TL would benefit from the amber turn indicators that increase your visibility and your intention to make a lane or direction change. Perhaps
RonJon could look at the feasability of constructing a new lamp housing that would retain the OEM LED's for stop and driving but substitute the turn indicator housing for a clear plastic lens with subtle shading lines (think the rear end of the TL around the licence plate surround and back up lights.) This way a higher intensity amber bulb could be substituted for the clear bulb and we could achieve the desired effect of having an amber turn signal while retaining the class and style of the OEM Taillamp housing.

Any comments.

Just my
TL42 Gord -
Old 03-01-2005, 12:45 PM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Turn signal bulb number...

For some odd reason Honda resists publishing the part numbers for their bulbs, only the wattage or candle power.

I was able to track down the number for the turn signal bulbs, which is 7440. I did a web search and they are out there after market as clear, amber, and some added variations for the haute lighting crowd.

The 7440 is a 21w bulb and the highest wattage version I could find searching was a 27w version. PIAA makes replacements in that size with their typical inflated wattage claim, in this case 21w = 42w, totally impossible of course.
Old 03-02-2005, 12:35 AM
Burning Brakes

if you want led turn signals you will have to do it from scratch. drop in led bulbs are crap.
Old 03-02-2005, 12:46 AM
Silky Smooth

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Sounds like its about time we find a vendor to work on this solution, remember every 2 years acura changes the headlights/taillights, we could see something unique for 06 that we all like!
Old 03-02-2005, 06:35 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Lokius
Sounds like its about time we find a vendor to work on this solution, remember every 2 years acura changes the headlights/taillights, we could see something unique for 06 that we all like!
Unfortunately, my wife/bank/wallet won't allow me to purchase a new vehicle for a rear taillight assembly I find attractive a year after I purchased my current ride. Lol. But I remember the evolution of the 2000 RL with it's solid red rear light assemble into the 2003 which had a much improved multi-lense assembly that was beautiful. That one I purchased. (No, not just for the taillights.) I must admit the new RL has turned my head also. I rationalized myself into the TL (dont' need a bigger or fancier car.) BUT . . . that '05 RL is spiffy. Maybe in a year or so. . .
Old 03-03-2005, 08:37 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
On a tech note, todays newer LEDs are often really OLEDs which are "organic" which are really great for brightness, but have extremely high long term wear-out issues. The yellow ones are difficult to produce that are long lasting. Sure the BMW and Caddy Catera look cool, but the brightness will fade.

Then the crowd will come in who says.. I don't care, i'm getting rid of it in 3 years anyway, I want cool factor. Well I'm happy for ya.
Old 07-27-2005, 12:21 AM
Intermediate

Two things, if you are using an LED, you should be using the same color LED as the lens...ie red LED for Brake, turn etc. use white for backup etc...

Second...HOW the heck do you get to the bulbs in the turn signals...it looks like everything is buttoned up so dang tight..do you just have to pull half the truck apart to get to them...

(I switched out the brakes lights in my roommates Toyota and the LEDs I got were way brighter and work great!!! - I for one have no complaints...and I got 15 - bulb LEDs)