Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear "Skins" Being Replaced - Another Leather Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2004, 05:24 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear "Skins" Being Replaced - Another Leather Thread

I know there are umpteen threads on the topic of the leather used in the '04 TL but I couldn't decide which to add this post to....hence new post.
Just wanted to share with everyone that after having a passenger in my back seat for a 1700 mile weekend long trip the leather stretched terribly. Not a question of being too fussy here........it was STRETCHED big time.
Took it to the dealer (car is only a couple of months old) and they have contacted Acura Canada and will be replacing the 'skins' on the back seat.

Problem here is that I don't know when I'll have anyone in the back seats for any considerable amount of time again so won't know for sure how the replacements compare.

Just wanted to share this with everyone.

Still not crazy about how much the fronts have stretched as well.
Old 06-09-2004, 05:31 PM
I don't have a Ferrari in

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Wow...that sucks incredibly bad. Do you have pictures? 1700 miles is a lot, was your passenger heavy?
Old 06-09-2004, 05:50 PM
Burning Brakes

My leather all the way around is wearing perfectly after 7,500 miles, however the rear seat was replaced because a brain dead mechanic punctured the seat.
Old 06-09-2004, 05:56 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by MasterTL
Wow...that sucks incredibly bad. Do you have pictures? 1700 miles is a lot, was your passenger heavy?
No, sorry no pics. You'll have to trust me. The dealer didn't put up any kind of argument it was so obvious that there was a problem. Terrible stretching. The distrance travelled shouldn't matter. The car only has a total of about 2400 miles on it.

The passenger weighed maybe 130 lbs.
Old 06-09-2004, 06:57 PM
Team Anthracite Member

well I started a thread about the dealer agreeing to replace my drivers side seat. They called me the other day and told me that the part was in so I'm going tomorrow to have it replaced.
Old 06-09-2004, 08:22 PM
Instructor

I had the exact same problem. First time was back in January when the car was less than one month old. GM from the dealer saw the seats and he decided to replace it. Well, it happened again. My first one hour trip with a rear passenger. He weighed no more than 150lbs, and the leather stretched to hell. I took it back to the dealer again. They wrote it down as normal wear and tear. I didn't specifically told them to replace the seats as this would happen again, but rather to take a note of it.

You mentioned that Acura will be replacing the 'skins'. Are you talking about the Acura corp. would changed the type of the leather all together?

Originally Posted by Cesci
I know there are umpteen threads on the topic of the leather used in the '04 TL but I couldn't decide which to add this post to....hence new post.
Just wanted to share with everyone that after having a passenger in my back seat for a 1700 mile weekend long trip the leather stretched terribly. Not a question of being too fussy here........it was STRETCHED big time.
Took it to the dealer (car is only a couple of months old) and they have contacted Acura Canada and will be replacing the 'skins' on the back seat.
Old 06-10-2004, 09:45 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by dtchung
I had the exact same problem. First time was back in January when the car was less than one month old. GM from the dealer saw the seats and he decided to replace it. Well, it happened again. My first one hour trip with a rear passenger. He weighed no more than 150lbs, and the leather stretched to hell. I took it back to the dealer again. They wrote it down as normal wear and tear. I didn't specifically told them to replace the seats as this would happen again, but rather to take a note of it.

You mentioned that Acura will be replacing the 'skins'. Are you talking about the Acura corp. would changed the type of the leather all together?
I don't know if the 'type of leather' will be different...........the new skins will be in around the end of the month. Will know then.