Sponsored by:

Rear Deck Lip OEM vs Aftermarket

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2006, 09:24 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear Deck Lip OEM vs Aftermarket

Hello,
I'm new to the Acura TL world with the purchase of my 06 that I had for 2 months now. I'm would like to add a Rear Deck Lip but was stomped by users buying other than OEM. I know that we all save money but you pay for what you get. My question is this: Does the OEM Rear Deck Lip use hardware for mounting or 3M tape like the aftermarket lips. Does the Aftermarket Rear Deck Lip sit flush with the trunk like the OEM Lip or is it raised slightly from the 3M tape?
Old 01-27-2006, 10:03 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...t=deck+install

Here is thread that should explain it all....the answer to direct question is toward bottom....but good all around info for you.
Old 01-28-2006, 08:22 AM
Racer

I read that trend but it only helps me out a little. I would like to know if the Aftermarket Rear Deck Lip sit flush like the OEM Rear Deck Lip? Or is it raised slightly due to the 3M tape?
I wash and wax my car all the time, although 3M tape is durable it breaks down over time hvaing the possiblity to make the Rear Deck Lip come off.
Old 01-28-2006, 11:52 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by nhousepro
I read that trend but it only helps me out a little. I would like to know if the Aftermarket Rear Deck Lip sit flush like the OEM Rear Deck Lip? Or is it raised slightly due to the 3M tape?
I wash and wax my car all the time, although 3M tape is durable it breaks down over time hvaing the possiblity to make the Rear Deck Lip come off.
Supposedly...if it comes off....you didnt prep the area right prior to install. BUT...I also tend to lean toward your thinking....one of the reasons I went with the wing type spoiler....seemed better attached and what I was used to seeing...but people really like the lip spoiler and I havent heard anything about them falling off....at least ones that were installed right! The ones I have seen that fell off...were either aftermarket ones or ones that they figured out that they most likely left a coat of wax or didnt clean the area right prior to install....which is critical in this case and when installing body kit parts.
Old 01-28-2006, 12:11 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
With the OEM lip, you'll need to drill 2 holes into the deck. It also has tape to secure it down. Make sure you remove any wax on the rear deck area so the the tape will stick better.
Old 01-28-2006, 12:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The OEM lip mounts using tape and screws. So you have to drill 2 holes on your trunk lid.

I have compared the OEM and aftermarket, and both do not sit 100% flush. There's always a thin gap between the trunk lid and the spoiler itself because of the tape. The OEM might have less gap because it's also screwed down, but the gap is there.

I decided to go with the aftermarket because of the ~$200 difference in price and I agree, you get what you paid for. The paint isn't 100% perfect and I had to polish it again after mounting because of some rough spots. Color match is very good, fitment is 99% perfect.

Basically, if you buy a good aftermarket spoiler, even you can't tell if it's aftermarket or OEM once it's mounted.

I dunno about the tape breaking down. Mine has been on for about 8 months and the tape is so strong, the spoiler sticks like it's superglued. Basically, the spoiler doesn't move at all if I push it sideways or front/back.

I think I have read 2 instances of the spoiler coming loose in this forum. One is due to an accident and the other is possibly due to poor prepping.
Old 01-28-2006, 01:02 PM
Burning Brakes

the way to go is to find an aftermarket spoiler that has mounting bolts like the oem.
i had a deck spoiler on my 03TLtypeS that only used tape, and it was barely noticable, but permanent installation fits better
if u shop around online u will see the oem for over $300, the one that just sticks on for $100 and the aftermarket that is an exact replica of the oem for $140. so i already did the shopping & made up my mind. there is one on ebay that is aftermarket with oem quality for $140. it has a few clear coats & all the hardware
Old 01-28-2006, 05:24 PM
Racer

Can you supply that information? I would like to ask the supplier a few questions. Also, can any of you post close up pics of the Rear Deck Lip?
Old 01-28-2006, 07:08 PM
王が付いているロール

I belive Versus Motorsports makes a OEM style lip spoiler in carbon fiber.
Does anyone have any pics???
Old 01-29-2006, 10:11 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Another thing to remember, if you lease, is that Acura will make you remove anything that's not OEM when you turn the car back in. That's what has prevented me from doing anything.

Joe
Old 01-29-2006, 01:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

In this case, the dealer might not even know that the aftermarket lip spoiler isn't OEM.
Old 01-29-2006, 05:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by quake97
Another thing to remember, if you lease, is that Acura will make you remove anything that's not OEM when you turn the car back in. That's what has prevented me from doing anything.

Joe
yea, thats y i got a stick on lip on my 03typeS that i was leasing but now i own the 06 so i should go permanent. befor i turned it in, it peeled off without a problem. wasnt too easy, but didnt mess up the trunk or the spoiler
Old 01-30-2006, 01:49 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by 260 HP
In this case, the dealer might not even know that the aftermarket lip spoiler isn't OEM.
Well, technically they will. The OEM unit comes with screws and the spring adjustment. I think they'd know.

Joe
Old 01-30-2006, 01:49 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by ililillilillilil
yea, thats y i got a stick on lip on my 03typeS that i was leasing but now i own the 06 so i should go permanent. befor i turned it in, it peeled off without a problem. wasnt too easy, but didnt mess up the trunk or the spoiler
Yeah, good point. I just don't know if I want to spend the money on a car I don't own.

Joe
Old 01-30-2006, 07:23 PM
Burning Brakes

if it makes u feel better, i only had the lip on for the last 3 weeks because i was considering extending for 6mo. if u have tints, then u already spent $ on a car u dont own, but if u got them i'm sure u enjoy it. plus your car will look better and if u have to think about it, you should calculate the cost over the duration. in my case the spoiler cost about $3 per day. if i did it earlier it wouldnt even be an expense. i didnt buy the bodykit for the 03 because it wouldve been a waste of $ imo, but if i did i would have enjoyed it a lot and not feel like i'm missing out on something i want. weather u own it or not, the look costs $ and i'm sure u want to be proud of your car and not have to double check if it's yours or not in a busy parking lot. but even if your car is as stock as it gets, you should also plan on spending money on a car that isnt yours when the tires wear out or somthing. my 3cents
Old 01-30-2006, 07:37 PM
Instructor

I have an aftermarket lip spoiler from ebay. Paint is not 100% but it is pretty close. may have been from the fading of the car before I put on the spoiler (so they say) the 3m tape is very stong, mine's been one for about 3 months and it is holding very well. I don't think falling off will be a problem. Even if it gets loose (i doubt) after a year or two, just take it off and reapply the tape. if you want it to be perfect go with the oem, but it about a $300 price difference. my
Old 01-30-2006, 08:10 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by silver05tl
I have an aftermarket lip spoiler from ebay. Paint is not 100% but it is pretty close. may have been from the fading of the car before I put on the spoiler (so they say) the 3m tape is very stong, mine's been one for about 3 months and it is holding very well. I don't think falling off will be a problem. Even if it gets loose (i doubt) after a year or two, just take it off and reapply the tape. if you want it to be perfect go with the oem, but it about a $300 price difference. my

Who was the ebay sales person/store???
Old 01-31-2006, 08:22 AM
Fightin' Texas Aggie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Check out trimking. Many people on here have bought from him. He is a bit more expensive than others you'll see on ebay, but I got my ABP lip spoiler from him and the paint was perfect. I do suggest you don't wait too long because like someone said the paint on your car will fade and the spoiler will be the true color and it won't match perfectly.
Old 01-31-2006, 12:16 PM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
I installed the oem myself two years ago and it still fits tight and I credit the screws for that. Did not install the spring which I may still do because the trunk doesn not pop up completely without it. Don't think the non oem even comes with the replacement spring.
Old 01-31-2006, 12:21 PM
Fightin' Texas Aggie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by tmitch2315
I installed the oem myself two years ago and it still fits tight and I credit the screws for that. Did not install the spring which I may still do because the trunk doesn not pop up completely without it. Don't think the non oem even comes with the replacement spring.
Are you refering to the wing spoiler? I think the only way to attach that is to screw it in to the trunk. The original post was asking about the lip spoiler. It's true the OEM lip does come with screws, but I and others have found that the tape works just fine as long as you prep the area before putting it on. I think you are correct in that the non-OEM wings do not come with the trunk springs.
Old 01-31-2006, 12:34 PM
never stops!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by nhousepro
Can you supply that information? I would like to ask the supplier a few questions. Also, can any of you post close up pics of the Rear Deck Lip?
Here is a close up of fake. Going good for year and half. It's just a stick on but I took extra effort in prepping the surface beofre applying, clayed a lot on a hot day before I put that on.

Old 02-01-2006, 02:58 PM
王が付いているロール

Does anyone have any experience with the Carbon Pro OEM style carbon lip wing?
-Fit?
-Finish?
-Quality?
-Installation?

I was able to locate a picture of the wing on the Versus Motorsports TL

Old 02-01-2006, 03:25 PM
王が付いているロール

I also emailed the Versus sales rep as there are two part numbers???
One for the Versus c/f lip wing - VM-302RWC
and one for the Carbon Pro c/f lip wing - CP-2689

I doubt there are any differences but I'll post any info they give me.
As well if anyone has any info or experience with this wing, please post.
Old 02-04-2006, 06:52 AM
王が付いているロール

Originally Posted by Versus Motorsports
Dear Leo,

Sorry for the confusions! It is the same products with 2 different part # and we have to take the other part # off the website.

The correct part # is for the Carbon Pro so please let us know if you have any further questions, thank you.

Regards,

Customer Relations
Versus Motorsport
10th Year Anniversary

The real part # is CP-2689
and the carbon fiber OEM lip wing is made by Carbon Pro. I believe that they also make a dual carbon sided hood for the 3G TL. Any one have any experience with the quality of the weave?

Also I was told there is no drilling needed for this part, it is held only by double sided 3M.

-Leo