3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

READ: Save yourself a headache matching bulbs (LIGHTING ISSUES)

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2004, 12:00 AM
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Angry READ: Save yourself a headache matching bulbs (LIGHTING ISSUES)

OK, damn, I am going to officially changed my title under my username to MOD GUINEA PIG lol!

Light Bulbs:

OK, since I seem to be the only one right now with cleared 04 headlights, I get to be the blinker bulb tester. Well, I posted a few days ago about the dilemma with the LEds and the fast flashing. I think i came up with a fix. I order an EP34 Tridon electronic flasher to replace the thermal flasher in the car. That should hopefully keep the rear turn signal LED bulbs from flashing fast. I just don't think after the testing my engineer buddies and I did at my office, the 6ohm resistor kits superbrightleds.com is pumping will make hardly any difference. the electronic flasher module should do the trick. I just cross referenced it off of all Acura since 99 models, and they all used the same one, including the 03TL. i just got an email that i should get the EP34 flasher no later than this Thursday. I will keep u guys informed.

I have since taken the front 7443 LED bulbs out. they came from www.superbrightleds.com . they are the Super White 7443 LED bulbs. They were too blue, not enough purplish/xenon hue and i think they looked to ricey (sorry no flames intended). I got the CHROME HID 7443 bulbs from www.racerwheel.com yesterday so I installed them. The are better at matching the HID low beams, but still not close enough for me. I think incandescent/dual filament bulbs are going to be the way to go because LED bulbs are not going to be as bright as the incandescent, they are too dim when running, and only flash a bit brighter. Plus, the LEDS only light from the front, so they dont glow around much in the reflective housing that is left after MR removed all of the amber lenses inside the headlight housing. Now, my next stop is the new PIAA Extreme White 7443 bulbs. THey freakin claim these are the CLOSEST to HID on the market. I didnt order them to begin with because I didnt want a tinted blue lens visible through the headlight assembly, but I guess I might now have a choice....ARRGHHH! will let you guys know how they match after I order them and install them.

SMOKED SIDE MARKER LEDs/LENS
OK, so of course i had to dink around with and remove the smoked side LED amber running light assembly located just in front of the doors on the side of the TL. After carefully removing the fenderwell liner (was very easy, just two snap fitting and a couple of screws), i gained access the the back of the running light assembly. THere are two little tabs/"fingers" that must be squeezed together to pop that assembly out. Much to my surprise i was hoping the assembly would be like that of the current BMW E46 3 series, and just have a wedge-based 194 style bulb in it. Well, WRONG!!! It is a sealed assembly. So, of COURSE i couldnt leave well enough alone. So i fired up the oven to 200F and baked them for 10 minutes. I got the adhesive hot enough to peel the smoked lense off of the housing. One last little piece was hanging on, and as impatient as i was, i should have rebaked for a couple of minutes. well i got impatient and accidentally busted the lens in half..I WAS PISSED. anyhow, i had the smoked lens off, only to find another thick, opaque like clear lens with in the way!! ARGGH! so by that time i was pissed and knew i had ruined the whole assembly, so I took a screwdriver and pryed the clear lens off. SHIT!!! I opened it up and it had TWO surface mounted LEDs unlike any I had seen before. I knew the boys at my office would know where to find them. Well, i went in this morning and showed them and they too had never seen them before. They said they could find them for me and solder new white LEDs in for me. But then I go to thinking, I think white LED running lights might look a bit ricey. You know how all the Tegs, Civics, accords at those cheap/generic running lights on the side of their cars, well I started thinking about that...so I decided against it. Plus, the thought of busting another smoked lens did not appeal to me. SOOO, I decided to remove the passenger side running light, unplug the single connector at the back of housing (it is attached to a PCB that contains the two SMT LEDs), and just leave them unplugged and NOT running at all. IMHO, it is a much cleaner look. NOW, I have to decide if I am going to leave the side rear RED rectangular lights on, or remove, paint body color, unhook the light, and reinstall, or just leave them alone all together?!?! Still cant make my mind up on that.

So, I knew I had to order another smoked side marker for the driver's side. I called my local Las Vegas Acura dealership, those punks tried to RAPE ME for 76 bucks!!! I told them i'd call them back..YEAH RIGHT. Ill try curry or norm reeves. Even the BMW side marker assemblies in the CLEAR versions were only 40 bucks for BOTH side markers, sold as a pair. My dealership was totally trying to jack me (i hope). I will make a few more calls and find out.

So what have we learned from this lesson boys and girls? (A) Do not attempt to open these side marker assemblies up. (B) If the amber doesnt bother you, then leave em alone (C) If the amber makes you ill (like me, looks bad with the clear headlights and xenon-ish headlight blinker bulb), then simply unplug the wiring harness and leave them turned off.

PS...i have no skin left on my fingers or wrists after prying the lens off, burning my finger on the oven door, scratching the shit outta my wrists and arms digging in the fenderwell LOL. I did this all in the name of Acura-TL mods LOL!!!! RECOGNIZE!

PPS THe 7440 Rear RED LED apc blinker bulbs actually look good, so those are staying. Just hope the EP34 flasher solves the fast blinker problem.
Old 03-31-2004, 12:24 AM
an Acura has-been

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Sorry to hear your wows, I took those babies out of the fender when I did my mod to make them flash with the blinkers and still turn on with the lights.

However, it would be even easier just to have them flash like the euro cars (ie BMW and Audi) and not required the relays and diodes. Two wires from the front turn signals would have been enough.

Also, the rear LED lights are easly modified to run at different brightnesses by changing the resistors out in them.

To be honest, the side markers will be expensive as they are high powered LED assemblies vs the cheapo incandescents in the BMW.

Here is a link to my side marker mod.

http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66329
Old 03-31-2004, 12:30 AM
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
totally understand about the BMW v Acura. However, i am in the electronics industry and buy components (i.e. resistors, caps, falash mem, microprocessors, misc ICs, PCB's, etc) and LEDs in most cases are actually cheaper than incandescents believe it or not. I think they just quoted me the side marker with a fat multiplier because they think Im a dumbass. Will call around to other dealers tomorrow, and I may be proven wrong, but my guess is I should be able to get this for around 50 bucks max.

Plus, in my comparison to BMW, EVERYTHING BMW charges for is 3 times more than other manufacturers. Oil changes are 80 bucks, versus the 24.50 I paid for my recent oil change. License plate frames are like 50 bucks, versus Acura frames around 30 bucks. Just paying for the name, Lexus servicing is even higher and WORSE than BMW. My parents pay 100+ for a lexus oil change..ridiculous!