3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rattling problems LICKED!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2004, 10:57 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rattling problems LICKED!!! Moonroof and glove box!

got all the rattles licked, the good ol' stiick-on felt seems to do the trick!

no more rattles in the glove box and moonroof!
Old 01-07-2004, 11:39 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Re: Rattling problems LICKED!!!

Originally posted by zeicht
got all the rattles licked, the good ol' stiick-on felt seems to do the trick!

no more rattles in the glove box and moonroof!
That's what I'm gonna do this weekend. Good luck to me. It should not be too hard, right?
Old 01-08-2004, 04:37 AM
Advanced

nope it's not hard at all...let me know if u need info..gud luck!
Old 01-08-2004, 08:00 AM
Chief TL Aviator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
zeicht - Can you please describe the rattles that you had with the moonroof, and the description of how they were resolved?

I've got a moonroof rattle that my service dept is having trouble fixing!

Thanks.
Old 01-08-2004, 06:24 PM
10th Gear

Zeicht - I have the glovebox rattle. Please describe briefly where you put the felt to fix it. Was it all the way around the exterior edge? And I amy have the moonroof rattle too. What did you do for that?
Old 01-08-2004, 06:27 PM
10th Gear

Smile

Sorry about the typo in my previous post - must've had Pure Prairie League on my mind.
Old 01-08-2004, 08:12 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Lightbulb

I don't want to search again, but you may use this one to link to other userful info.

http://www.acura-tl.com/forum/showth...threadid=68514
Old 01-08-2004, 08:17 PM
Racer

I want to put something on the inside of the scraper for the outside of my windows so that when I have to park it outside I can clear the windows by rolling them down and up like my BMW does.
Old 01-09-2004, 03:46 AM
Advanced

for the glove box rattle, i put 2 layers of medium duty felt on the top and bottom of the plastic tab that sticks out on the left side of the catch, not the glove box itself. the rattle's completely gone now...

as for the moonroof rattle, it's kinda like a thin metal vibrating when you hit rough roads, it's actually the wind deflector thats rattling and not the moonroof...at first i even thought it was the rear decklid but later i realized it was not, i knew when i pressed on the wind deflector between the glass and the headliner..the buzzing sound or rattle went away...
so what i did is put two single layered felt about 3.5" length each on both sides, beneath the wind deflector....this must be done while the moonroof is fully opened and the wind deflector is up...actually i didnt "stick on" the felts anymore the they can be put securely in the basin of the wind deflector...so now when you close the moonroof, the wind deflector is securely held in its position and thus elimanates the rattle
Old 01-09-2004, 05:51 AM
Chief TL Aviator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
zeicht - Thanks for the details! I'll give the felt a try ....
Old 01-09-2004, 11:31 AM
Moderator Alumnus

zeicht,

I remember You ever asked bmw53003 about this, but I still don't know why it should be beneath.

Since the rattle is occurred between the moonroof and the deflector, why should we put the felt under the deflector, not above?

Thanks.
Old 01-09-2004, 05:23 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by rets
zeicht,

I remember You ever asked bmw53003 about this, but I still don't know why.

Since the rattle is occurred between the moonroof and the deflector, why should we put the felt under the deflector, not above?

Thanks.
i dont get your first statement, well bmw53003 didnt respond to my question if that's what you mean

actually the rattle is caused only by the wind deflector, and not because of the moonroof hitting the wind deflector....the main objective is to secure the wind deflector(WD) tightly in its position to keep it from vibrating and thus making a sound...and you cant put a felt on top of the WD since it's has an uneven surface...it doesnt matter where you put the felf as long as you can tightly secure the WD...and by all accounts putting the felt beneath the WD is better because 1. it hides the felt naturally 2. you dont have to stick on the felts provided you cut it to fit securely in the basin and 3. it does not affect the operation or effectiveness of the WD and moonroof at all, esp when it's retracted.
Old 01-14-2004, 10:28 AM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Can you take a photo of this?

I think I have the moonroof rattle now too, and it's especially bad when you go over hard bumps (and the moonroof is CLOSED but the cover is all the way open).

Where exactly are you putting the felt? Right underneath the little metal thing? Did you notice the rattle when you closed doors? I seem to hear it best when closing doors.

i dont get your first statement, well bmw53003 didnt respond to my question if that's what you mean

actually the rattle is caused only by the wind deflector, and not because of the moonroof hitting the wind deflector....the main objective is to secure the wind deflector(WD) tightly in its position to keep it from vibrating and thus making a sound...and you cant put a felt on top of the WD since it's has an uneven surface...it doesnt matter where you put the felf as long as you can tightly secure the WD...and by all accounts putting the felt beneath the WD is better because 1. it hides the felt naturally 2. you dont have to stick on the felts provided you cut it to fit securely in the basin and 3. it does not affect the operation or effectiveness of the WD and moonroof at all, esp when it's retracted.
Old 01-15-2004, 12:17 AM
Advanced

LORE,

yup, i hear it best, well used to hear it when closing doors...i believe i had the same rattle....il try to post some pics here...in the meantime try to do what i said above and see how it goes..
Old 01-15-2004, 12:19 AM
Moderator Alumnus

LORE,

yup, i hear it best, well used to hear it when closing doors...i believe i had the same rattle....il try to post some pics here...in the meantime try to do what i said above and see how it goes..
I'd appreciate your pics, too... since I didn't have time to do it last weekend.
Old 01-15-2004, 12:20 AM
CEO, Team Anthracite

LORE,

I slipped a piece of felt underneath the wind deflector tonight. I had to open the moonroof, let the WD pop up and then slipped the felt underneath on the left (driver's) side. Not sure if I put it in the right place or even if it made a difference as the rear panel buzzing/rattling is annoying the living **** out of me.

If you can take pictures (don't take them too close up, it'll be easier to see where they go if you take them from about 8 - 12 inches away. Hell, take close ups and then take some perspective shots

Many thanks!
Old 01-15-2004, 12:34 AM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Someone put up photos of their fix several weeks ago but I, for the life of me, cannot find them using the search function.
Old 01-15-2004, 12:38 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by Lore
Someone put up photos of their fix several weeks ago but I, for the life of me, cannot find them using the search function.

Sure? I never saw it since I'm looking for the same pic...

bmw53003 was the first guy to post it on 1/5/04??
Old 01-15-2004, 12:40 AM
CEO, Team Anthracite

I am pretty sure ... I remember them showing the felt that the dealer put in using arrows that they drew into the photo and the like...
Old 01-16-2004, 10:02 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Here's a photo of the felt I put on the driver's side. There's an identical one on the passenger side.
Old 01-16-2004, 10:11 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Wow, looking at that photo now makes me realize:

1) how dirty my car is already
and
2) that the felt shows up in a different color under bright light. It's actually more of a blackish/dark brown color.
Old 01-16-2004, 11:17 PM
Instructor

WOW!

Ther is a lot to learn from this.

NathanSilver

*2004_Acura-TL_Anthracite_Ebony_6MT_Navi_Z600_T-Mobile
*1973_Black_Norton_850_Commando
*2002_Blue/Silver_Schwinn_Aluminum_Strand-Cruiser_7Speed-Internal-Nexus-Hub
*1967_2_Feet(2 left feet)

:p :o
Old 01-17-2004, 12:13 AM
Advanced

LORE,

yup thats exactly how i did it too....sorry abt the pics didnt have time...u beat me to it hehe
Old 01-17-2004, 12:33 AM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Good luck with that fix everyone - it is, by far, the easiest of them all.

I have so many other rattles to deal with it is driving me nuts. Trunk, steering column, passenger door / glove box [haven't figured this one out yet].
Old 01-17-2004, 04:42 AM
Advanced

Good luck with that fix everyone - it is, by far, the easiest of them all.

I have so many other rattles to deal with it is driving me nuts. Trunk, steering column, passenger door / glove box [haven't figured this one out yet].
for the glove box, try to use a thicker felt or just put two layers of felt on the aforesaid places....i started out with a single layer and it still rattled so i sticked a second one on top of the first and the rattle went away....
Old 01-17-2004, 05:32 AM
Cesspool of Knowledge

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I was taking a test drive at the dealership last weekend, and travelling on a somewhat bumpy section of the highway.

I heard a VERY loud rattling noise coming from the behind the passenger seat every time I hit a bump. The rattling would gradually slow down and stop after about 15 seconds. I pulled over to check it out, and as expected, I found the source.

Another 2 1/2 foot diamondback decided to come along for the ride. So, I pulled out my trusty sidearm, and licked that problem. Your solution may vary, depending on local ordinances.

Southwest living ...
Old 01-17-2004, 07:21 AM
Pro

for the glove box rattle, i put 2 layers of medium duty felt on the top and bottom of the plastic tab that sticks out on the left side of the catch, not the glove box itself. the rattle's completely gone now...

as for the moonroof rattle, it's kinda like a thin metal vibrating when you hit rough roads, it's actually the wind deflector thats rattling and not the moonroof...at first i even thought it was the rear decklid but later i realized it was not, i knew when i pressed on the wind deflector between the glass and the headliner..the buzzing sound or rattle went away...
so what i did is put two single layered felt about 3.5" length each on both sides, beneath the wind deflector....this must be done while the moonroof is fully opened and the wind deflector is up...actually i didnt "stick on" the felts anymore the they can be put securely in the basin of the wind deflector...so now when you close the moonroof, the wind deflector is securely held in its position and thus elimanates the rattle
If you could post a picture of the location of your felt pads for the glove box rattle I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.
Old 01-17-2004, 09:17 AM
Racer

THANKS FOR POSTING THIS!!! AFter reading it and knowing what was moving, I was able to feel the deflector vibrating while driving. Such a simple solution to the "mystery noise".

I will fix it this weekend. I will use some foam weatherstrip tape instead of the felt - it will compress a little and have the same effect.

Thanks again!
Old 01-17-2004, 09:59 AM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by automophile

I will fix it this weekend. I will use some foam weatherstrip tape instead of the felt - it will compress a little and have the same effect.

Thanks again! [/B]
I might consider something besides the foam. The deflector is somewhat heavy/moves quite a bit will driving. I would bet the foam would deteriorate quite quickly. I'm not a real fan of the felt either. Using the fuzzy side of Velcro tape would probably be the most durable. The best thing would be to redesign the "ramp" area on both sides of the deflector - where the sunroof slides over to push the deflector down. This would force the deflector down farther thus utilizing the existing rubber weatherstrip (on the bottom of the deflector) thus no need for any foreign material under the deflector. That however is a more difficult modification..

Smitty
Old 01-17-2004, 02:17 PM
10th Gear

I just tried this 30 minutes ago using the fuzzy velcro tape. Took a spin around the neighborhood (including over some RR tracks) and VOILA!!! Rattle gone! Now if I could only figure out where to put the velcro on my seat memory button
Old 01-17-2004, 06:07 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Originally posted by kvan
I just tried this 30 minutes ago using the fuzzy velcro tape. Took a spin around the neighborhood (including over some RR tracks) and VOILA!!! Rattle gone! Now if I could only figure out where to put the velcro on my seat memory button
Good to hear it helped. Did you put the velcro fuzzy tape on the entire strip, or just the two ends?

Now I have to figure out how to defeat my other rattles!
Old 01-18-2004, 01:51 AM
10th Gear

Did anybody have a rattle at the back left side speaker area? If soo what was the solution.

Thanks
Old 01-18-2004, 08:11 AM
10th Gear

Good to hear it helped. Did you put the velcro fuzzy tape on the entire strip, or just the two ends?

Now I have to figure out how to defeat my other rattles!
No...I just happened to have a 12-inch piece left from a roll, so I cut it in half and applied a piece on each end. I probably would have run it the entire length if I had more on hand, and still might go get a new roll for this purpose. It's nice to finally be able to open the shade with being driven crazy by that infernal buzzing!

KV
Old 01-18-2004, 02:50 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by MARK1
Did anybody have a rattle at the back left side speaker area? If soo what was the solution.

Thanks

Are you talking about this?

Rear deck vibrates with sub-woofers
Old 01-18-2004, 02:55 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

My rear deck has something loose on the rear left speaker area too. However, it's not when the subwoofer hits or when there's heavy bass -- it's whenever you drive! It's not the panel vibrating against the window like that thread indicates, but something underneath the panel that makes an odd buzzing sound.
Old 01-18-2004, 09:20 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My rear deck has something loose on the rear left speaker area too. However, it's not when the subwoofer hits or when there's heavy bass -- it's whenever you drive! It's not the panel vibrating against the window like that thread indicates, but something underneath the panel that makes an odd buzzing sound.
I had this EXACT same problem. I could reproduce it just by moving the rear passenger-side seatbelt or just hitting the back seat. I took it in to the dealer and they fixed it (don't know how). But now, I get a louder but more intermittent rattle when going over bumps that seems to move. I'm wondering if the good ol' felt trick between the rear shelf and glass might fix it...
Old 01-18-2004, 09:23 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Originally posted by princed
I had this EXACT same problem. I could reproduce it just by moving the rear passenger-side seatbelt or just hitting the back seat. I took it in to the dealer and they fixed it (don't know how). But now, I get a louder but more intermittent rattle when going over bumps that seems to move. I'm wondering if the good ol' felt trick between the rear shelf and glass might fix it...
Do me a huge favor, please. Can you describe (or better yet, take a photo) of the rear deck and the rear glass?

Mine has this vent-like thing between the rear deck and glass, and as such, I have no idea where I would put the foam between those two surfaces. I don't remember anyone else saying that they had this too...
Old 01-18-2004, 10:10 PM
Instructor

Same here. I saw the pics of need4speed and his does not seem to have the vent.
Old 01-18-2004, 10:13 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Is this a navi vs non-navi thing? Or could this be something they put in later VINs to prevent the vibration?
Old 01-18-2004, 10:27 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yep -- I've got it too. I've got a navi 6MT w/ a VIN in the 17000s...

Quick Reply: Rattling problems LICKED!!!