Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rattle/Creaking coming from rear

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2004, 08:20 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rattle/Creaking coming from rear

Just a few days ago, I developed a new creaking type noise in the car. It sounds like it's coming from somewhere near the rear deck of the car. It's some sort of creaking noise, almost sounds like the rear window is creaking while the car is flexing, this noise happens over smooth roads as well as rough roads. Weird thing is this noise ONLY happens when it's on the cooler side, like first thing in the morning, maybe 65 degrees and cooler. I live in NJ so we're just starting to get the cooler weather coming in. This noise does not happen at 70 degrees or above. Anyone experience this? It's driving me crazy, I need to get someone to ride in the back to see if they can pinpoint it but it's difficult because it only happens early in the morning on the way to work. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 09-27-2004, 08:23 AM
Instructor

hmm, could be wax build up on the sun roof weather stripping. push up on the sun roof with it closed. make any noise? if so, this could be it.
Old 09-27-2004, 08:36 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by campIIIMAF
hmm, could be wax build up on the sun roof weather stripping. push up on the sun roof with it closed. make any noise? if so, this could be it.
I tried doing this already but no luck, sounds liked it's coming from further back in the car, maybe the rear deck itself, maybe the headliner, maybe the 3rd brake light cover, I'm not sure. Just so weird how it goes away once the car warms up....
Old 09-27-2004, 09:35 AM
Advanced

I have the same problem on my TL that we bought earlier this month, it happens when we go over rough surfaces. I think it's a rear headliner issue. Have someone sit in the back while you're driving and see if they can isolate the sound.
Old 09-28-2004, 02:15 PM
Club Abyss Member

I had mine back at my dealer for the 4th time with the same noise....they spent over 10 hours working on it....took everything out of the trunk....removed the rear seats....removed the rear shelf and speakers....finally they found that the metal rear shelf ( the part that is welded onto the inside sides of the car ) is the source of the noise....as the body flexes when travelling on certain road conditions and depending on the ambient temp outside this metal piece will rub against the sides....the fix was to insulate the sides where the weld spots are located.....can you believe over 10 hours to fix this ??!!
Old 09-28-2004, 02:19 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Cdn04TL
I had mine back at my dealer for the 4th time with the same noise....they spent over 10 hours working on it....took everything out of the trunk....removed the rear seats....removed the rear shelf and speakers....finally they found that the metal rear shelf ( the part that is welded onto the inside sides of the car ) is the source of the noise....as the body flexes when travelling on certain road conditions and depending on the ambient temp outside this metal piece will rub against the sides....the fix was to insulate the sides where the weld spots are located.....can you believe over 10 hours to fix this ??!!
Damn! I am happy to hear that they fixed it though, do you hear this noise anymore? Forget what I said about it just being cooler when I hear it, it seems to be happening more and more now, no matter what the temp. Do you know what they insulated the sides with?
Old 09-28-2004, 02:58 PM
Club Abyss Member

yes the noise is gone (for now )......it started off faintly a few months ago but got louder and more consistent over time.....the fix involved the use of some adhesive and tape at the weld spots near the D pillars.....good luck getting yours fixed !
Old 09-28-2004, 04:24 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Cdn04TL
yes the noise is gone (for now )......it started off faintly a few months ago but got louder and more consistent over time.....the fix involved the use of some adhesive and tape at the weld spots near the D pillars.....good luck getting yours fixed !
Did your dealer put everything back together properly? I know it's a lot of work to rip the back seat out, etc, just curious on what kind of job they did.