Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rating the overall handling of the new TL

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2004, 02:05 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rating the overall handling of the new TL

I realize that many factors influence our evaluation of the stock overall handling of our TL's. I personally felt that it was somewhat harsh and not comliant enough dealing with small to medium road irregularities. After 3 months I am more used to it but feel it falls short of my secret expectation. Sure, we are locked into a $30-35K limited package. Everyone, with good reason, hopes to find that elusive " BMW - like perfect" sport sedan handling and suspension. The Germans somehow are able to work their magic when it comes to mating sport sedans to good/great handling. All other makes have disected all possible combinations of spring, struts,shock and dampers to try to come up with an equally competent system. How do you rate our set up compared to other/rival sedans?? Is it so hard to minimize NHV and have good handling at the same time?? Are you actually satisfied with the actual set up you have now? TO some of us this is the best car we we ever bought and some of us had better, and more expensive ones as well. Hope to get some answers from our membership on this topic. Thanks so much for your help, Regards.
Old 11-21-2004, 02:56 PM
Gratis dictum

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hmmmm. I guess it proves how our experiences shape our reactions. My last car was a Saab 9-5 and I feel that the TL has a very compliant and smooth ride. It leans a bit more in corners than I'm used to but is a lot quieter in cruising mode and accellerating. The relative power is roughly equivalent, as is the "fun-to-drive" component. The TL, with all of its gadgetry, is far more entertaining.
Old 11-21-2004, 03:00 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
My wife has a '96 BMW 328i automatic and if this is an example of Germany's finest engineering, I'm not impressed. I had a 2000 SVT Contour that would run rings around this or any other stock 3-series in the twisties (how does a .92 200 foot skid pad sound for a stock machine?). As for my TL, it also handles and rides better than her Bimmer.

Add to that BMW's penchant for making things more complicated than they need be and you have a car that's costly to own and maintain. Nope, not for me. I could have bought an M3 or a 330i or a CTS-V (of these, the Cadillac would have been my choice), but I got the TL and I'm quite pleased with it.
Old 11-21-2004, 03:20 PM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

Received 44 Likes on 12 Posts
with comptech drop and comptech rear sway bar, my cars handling is improved and i like it.
Old 11-21-2004, 03:33 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm coming out of a 2002 Maxima. I think the ride on the TL is harsher with more small bumps being felt. But that's to be expected with the 45 series tires compred to the 55's on the Maxima. The handling does seem better on the TL with slightly less understeer.
Old 11-21-2004, 03:48 PM
Cruisin'

had a mercedes c240 before this car...

this car drives well and is very nice, can def compare as good if not better then my old car. Im happy
Old 11-21-2004, 04:37 PM
EZZ
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TLVR
I realize that many factors influence our evaluation of the stock overall handling of our TL's. I personally felt that it was somewhat harsh and not comliant enough dealing with small to medium road irregularities. After 3 months I am more used to it but feel it falls short of my secret expectation. Sure, we are locked into a $30-35K limited package. Everyone, with good reason, hopes to find that elusive " BMW - like perfect" sport sedan handling and suspension. The Germans somehow are able to work their magic when it comes to mating sport sedans to good/great handling. All other makes have disected all possible combinations of spring, struts,shock and dampers to try to come up with an equally competent system. How do you rate our set up compared to other/rival sedans?? Is it so hard to minimize NHV and have good handling at the same time?? Are you actually satisfied with the actual set up you have now? TO some of us this is the best car we we ever bought and some of us had better, and more expensive ones as well. Hope to get some answers from our membership on this topic. Thanks so much for your help, Regards.
The TL is too front heavy or just plain too heavy in general (for FWD) to handle as well as the 3 series. The TL gives you a balanced car in terms of luxury, sport, and overall speed but a great handler it is not (just a good handler). If you want great handling, try the TSX which is much more nimble and simply a better handler than the TL. If you want a car of the same size, the G35 is just as good as the 3 series w/more power. The 3 series offers better dampening on bumpy roads but the G has higher limits. The IS300 is also a really really good handler...very tossable. The IS tends to have snap oversteer and can be scary at 8/10ths but overall, its as fun as the 3 series IMO. I haven't driven the CTS yet but its getting rave reviews so it probably would give the TL a run for its money. Also the new Mustang GT seems to have decent handling. Cars are just getting better these days
Old 11-21-2004, 04:39 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
To EZZ;

Yep. SO many good cars from which to chose. There are times when your decision comes down to splitting hairs. And that's great for us gearheads.
Old 11-21-2004, 04:41 PM
Intermediate

My TL is fun, very close to a BMW but the over boosted steering just ruins everything
Old 11-21-2004, 07:43 PM
Racer

On a smooth road I rate the handling as awesome. High speed bumbs are a bit more exciting than German cars, but then I remember the numerous trips to the Audi dealer for unexpected service issues and the Audi dealer's snobby attitude. Aufwiedersein!
Old 11-21-2004, 07:51 PM
Instructor

BMWs have 50/50 weight distribution. That makes the car Handle alot better
Old 11-21-2004, 08:29 PM
2nd Gear

My 2004 TL 5 spd auto. has a much firmer suspension than the 1997 BMW 540iA I owned. The BMW's suspension was close to a perfect combination of comfort and performance. Part of that could be the thinner tires (55 series in the BMW). After two months & 4000 km. I'm getting used to the TL and don't miss my BMW too much....
Old 11-21-2004, 08:59 PM
Intermediate

I wrote this in August.

I just had the A-Spec body kit, A-Spec suspension, and the Comptech swaybar installed on my 04 auto TL. The stock ride to me was plush and comfortable, but this is something my dad would like. I personally did not like the excessive understeer, the body roll, or the excessive wheel well gap.
After the mods went on, the ride is good. The understeer is muted. Not quite as neutral as my 04 BMW 330i ZHP, but still good. I'm not bashing the TL or bragging about my BMW, so please dont nail me to the wall. I just honestly think my BMW 330i ZHP handles better. The BMW has, I think, perfect turn in and can power through some hairy turns while the TL's turn in still has a hint of understeer and does not like to be pushed in the corners. I will say comparing the two is unfair since the TL is a larger car and FWD, but I thought some of you out there would like to read this since I just happen to own the two cars.
Oh, the plush and comfortable is also muted, I guess you can't have everything. The stance is lower, more in the rear than in the front, and so I think it looks better.
That said, the TL with these mods is a good performer AND has yet to get new wheels and tires! So, wait till I install 18" RonJon Inspyres with Falken rubber! I'll post a review of those when they are done end of this year.
Old 11-21-2004, 09:15 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by EZZ
The TL is too front heavy or just plain too heavy in general (for FWD) to handle as well as the 3 series. The TL gives you a balanced car in terms of luxury, sport, and overall speed but a great handler it is not (just a good handler). If you want great handling, try the TSX which is much more nimble and simply a better handler than the TL. If you want a car of the same size, the G35 is just as good as the 3 series w/more power. The 3 series offers better dampening on bumpy roads but the G has higher limits. The IS300 is also a really really good handler...very tossable. The IS tends to have snap oversteer and can be scary at 8/10ths but overall, its as fun as the 3 series IMO. I haven't driven the CTS yet but its getting rave reviews so it probably would give the TL a run for its money. Also the new Mustang GT seems to have decent handling. Cars are just getting better these days

I disagree with the TSX superior handling over the TL.If i remember right it only had a .03g better then the TL which really isnt that much and ive out cornered many sport compact cars with my TL including RWD.Its really all about the driver.I can take my TL to the extreme in corning with only the ASPEC rims and tires.
Old 11-21-2004, 09:19 PM
Red line...use it

I think the biggest difference is the FWD. The Torque steer is annoying. You better have a good grip with the left hand when you are down shifting through a turn. I know you should not be shifting when in the turn, but some times it works out that way. One reason I picked the TL was for the FWD and snow traction. I recenty drove a Merc 500E, BMW 530i and the caddy STS in a marketing test drive. I really learned a lot about the rear wheel feel in those cars. I would rather have a rear drive car. With that said...I still love the TL.
Old 11-21-2004, 09:32 PM
Instructor

I drove alot of cars b4 I purchased my TL. The ONLY car that I was more impressed with was the BMW 530I w/ sport package. I was not going to pay $22,000 more. The TL was my first choice and after approx 6 mos of driving and researching, I came back to the TL.
I purchased in late Sept and I still have people looking and telling me how nice my car is. Most say that they have not even seen one on the road yet!

VIVA TL!
Old 11-21-2004, 11:27 PM
EZZ
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TheOne305
I disagree with the TSX superior handling over the TL.If i remember right it only had a .03g better then the TL which really isnt that much and ive out cornered many sport compact cars with my TL including RWD.Its really all about the driver.I can take my TL to the extreme in corning with only the ASPEC rims and tires.
I have no doubt you've beaten many RWD cars however, that doesn't mean that the RWD cars were inferior. You were probably the superior driver. In most situations, the TL is close enough to the previous cars I mentioned where the driver is the biggest factor in handling performance.