rather confused

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2007 | 12:20 AM
3rd Gear

rather confused

My dad bought the 2007 Acura TL Type-S about a month or two ago. They didnt mention nor did we know anything about the A-Spec, but there was a 2008 TL Type-S A-Spec with nice two-tone seats and beautiful ground effects at a car show today. Priced at 38K where we paid 40K for the Type-S. We are rather confused, do you think we can take ours to Acura and trade for the A-Spec? Its value shouldnt be lower... but kbb says were at 34K trade in. Do you think Acura can install the A-spec kit minus wheels? Will this be expensive?
Old 11-25-2007 | 12:36 AM
AZ Community Team

Welcome to the forum.

Does the '07 have any extras - extended warranty? Carbon Fiber Trim Package? Anything? Maybe upside down on a trade?

If not, you over-paid for the '07. No way you'll straight "trade" the '07 for an '08 with the A-Spec, the '08 plus A-Spec is definetly higher value new vs the '07 stock new.

You could get it added on. You can see dealer list price at the Honda/Acura e-store. Look under "Accesories". The A-Spec Body kit is the side skirts and front and rear lip. Also available is and A-Spec suspension, but compared to the Type-S, I doubt if is very much different.

http://estore.honda.com
Old 11-25-2007 | 12:39 AM
ഥഎണഡഏ Fellas Inc.

yeah a-spec kit can be installed by you (+time) or the dealer. the trade in is probably as you stated -- you'll only get what its worth at the time, which does suck since its 1-2 mos. old.

call them and find out
Old 11-25-2007 | 12:45 AM
AZ Community Team

Re-reading you thread, the trade-in/trade-up is a non-starter.

Assuming you get $34k for the '07, you're going to take a $6,000 loss for a couple of months ownership.

If you like the A-spec *that* much, just have a decent dealer add it to the '07.

IMHO, the A-Spec body kit doesn't do much for the TL-S. It's already got a pretty agressive stance and lines.

Instead, I'd save the $ and use it for after-market shocks/springs or Coil-Overs and after-market wheels.
Old 11-25-2007 | 08:35 AM
Racer

First the 2 tone seats are an option on the Type-S and are separate from the A-Spec package.

Second. Your Dad paid $40k for your TL-S but did that include Tax, Extended warranty or any other extras?

Third. If you really like the A-Spec package you can order the body panels and have a body shop fit them to your existing car. It will be a cheaper alternative.
The Type-S already has stiffer suspension and Brembo Brakes so the only real difference is the body work (I don't have the A-Spec so if I am wrong, someone please correct me)

Just my
Old 11-25-2007 | 08:54 AM
Senior Moderator

Welcome to the forums! You can contact Tim from hondacuraworld. He sells the A-spec lip kit and is one of the vendors on this site. You can then utilize the DIY install guides on this site or you can have the dealer install the kit. I'm assuming your dad's 07 has the taupe interior? IMHO, buying the kit separately and having it installed is a far better option than trading it in.
Old 11-25-2007 | 08:55 AM
Pro

It would go down as one of the worse trades in history if you did it.
Old 11-25-2007 | 10:11 AM
Pro

You sure the price was $38 WITH the A-spec??? I would not think so.... more likely the price was the base car and the rest was not shown...
Old 11-25-2007 | 10:14 AM
Glacier Frost Mica CL-S

i stopped reading right after i read that u paid $40k
Old 11-25-2007 | 12:35 PM
Suzuka Master

juss get the aspec kit and intall it urself ... its smarter financially compared to trading it in. there is no difference between the 08 tl and 07 tl ... and if that is all u want ... like said above it would probably be one of the worst trades ever ... hope everything works out for u
Old 11-25-2007 | 01:43 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by INSPIRE 32V
That inclued tax, title, registration, everything. We just drove the car out, and I think technically we paid just a smidge under $40K. We bought it through our insurance company, and that was actually the cheapest you could get these cars when we got them. They are very rare in our area.

I did not realize ALL of these engines came with VTEC, and I suppose thats why I was confused. I remember looking at the engine when we got it, but all I remember is that it was 3.5L. we dont care much about appearance, and the suspension and brakes are excellent on this car, its very well balanced as it is stock. The thing is, we just thought A-Specs came with a different engine. After I posted this thread I looked it up a lot more. The only thing making me consider the A-Spec conversion now is the rarity factor. Ive seen ONE other Type-S driving around here, I doubt I will ever see a Type-S A-Spec.

Also what a long name for a car. Acura TL Type-S A-Spec.
Old 11-25-2007 | 02:23 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by INSPIRE 32V
But you took time to post?
Old 11-25-2007 | 03:07 PM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

Let's clarify a few things that most responders appear to have missed. His dad bought a TL-S, not a "regular" TL. The car he saw at the car show was the "regular" TL and thus is also why the price was lower. Apparently it had the A-Spec package added which did make it into an EXPENSIVE LIST PRICE TL (not a TL-S). So, to the original poster... You are NOT comparing apples-to-apples. The TL-S DOES in fact, have a different engine than the standard TL with an A-Spec package. In fact, your TL-S is a higher performance car than the A-Spec you saw.
Old 11-25-2007 | 03:52 PM
AZ Community Team

^^

Better check that again:

.... but there was a 2008 TL Type-S A-Spec with nice two-tone seats and beautiful ground effects at a car show today.

Old 11-25-2007 | 05:43 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Bearcat94
^^

Better check that again:
Also, you can't get the 2-tone seats on the base car, IIRC.
Old 11-26-2007 | 12:40 AM
3rd Gear

Yeah, my dad has the TL Type-S and 40K was not overpriced. Their website said, spec'd how ours was, 42K and some change.

The car I saw at the car show was in fact a Type-S A-Spec. Apparently these are quite rare, as I cant even find pictures of them. As I see it, it goes:
TL
A-Spec
Type-S
Type-S A-Spec
Is this correct? I think TL A-Specs are around 36K. Im wondering if the one at the car show was just a regular Type-S with A-Spec badging and ground effects. I know you dont have to get the A-Spec kit in full, you can just select certain A-Spec options, so perhaps thats why it was cheaper.

Im sort of wondering why they would make a Type-S A-Spec, seeing as how suspension and brakes can be A-Spec, but Type-S has sportier versions of those componets as it is. Acura is confusing the hell out of me.

I have one more question though - do Type-S's feature different ground effects than a TL with the optional front/side/rear spoilers?
Old 11-26-2007 | 01:29 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by blackxs
Yeah, my dad has the TL Type-S and 40K was not overpriced. Their website said, spec'd how ours was, 42K and some change.
Are you in Canada? The MSRP on the 2007 Type-S, in the US, was $38,795 with A/S tires and (IIRC) $38,995 with Summer Tires.

I don't see how the TL-S can be "spec'd" on the Acura web site at $42k+ unless it's Canadian or you had dealer add-on accessories. If it's dealer add-ons, what exactly were they?

Put another way, if you are in the US and the selling price (no taxes, docs, ttl, etc) of the car was more than $37,000 stock, you over paid. Even $37k is high this late in the MY.

The car I saw at the car show was in fact a Type-S A-Spec. Apparently these are quite rare, as I cant even find pictures of them. As I see it, it goes:
TL
A-Spec
Type-S
Type-S A-Spec
Is this correct? I think TL A-Specs are around 36K. Im wondering if the one at the car show was just a regular Type-S with A-Spec badging and ground effects. I know you dont have to get the A-Spec kit in full, you can just select certain A-Spec options, so perhaps thats why it was cheaper.
They are not rare in the sense that they are hard to come by; Anybody can make one just by buying the parts. But not many do.

The hierarchy is complicated by the addition of the Type-S in '07. The easiest way to think of is that there are NO options except navigation, transmission choice and Summer Tires on the 6MT and Type-S versions.

From '04 - '06 it was:

Base
Base + Navi
Sport (i.e. 6 MT) (Summer Tires Optional)
Sport + Navi (Summer Tires Optional)

In '07 - '08 it goes:

Base
Base + Navi
Type-S 5AT (Summer Tires Optional)
Type-S 6MT (Summer Tires Optional)

Any and all of those could get various dealer add-ons, including A-Spec parts.

Im sort of wondering why they would make a Type-S A-Spec, seeing as how suspension and brakes can be A-Spec, but Type-S has sportier versions of those componets as it is. Acura is confusing the hell out of me.
A-Spec is (I know I'll miss something):

- 18" Wheels (Type-S and MT are 17" Stock)
- Front and Rear Under Spoilers (More agressive than base, slightly more agressive than Type-S)
- Side Skirts (More agressive than base, similar to Type-S)
- Springs (Stiffer and lower than base, lower than Type-S)
- A-Spec Badge (adds 10 WHP j/k )

Brakes are not part of the A-Spec package. If you get MT or Type-S, you get Brembo Front's.

A-Spec Parts and all other "accesories" (Carbon Fiber or Wood Trim, CF Steering Wheel, Wheel Locks, Trunk Liner, etc, etc) are Dealer Add-On's; No cars come from the factory "A-Spec".

I have one more question though - do Type-S's feature different ground effects than a TL with the optional front/side/rear spoilers?
Slightly different, but to my eye not enough to matter. The biggest difference is the Front Under Spoiler then the Rear Under Spoiler.

Hope that helps.
Old 11-26-2007 | 11:59 AM
REDBULL///AMG

i can see 38, plus he goodies and taxes. if you got ur type s for 40 out the door. i think he made off decent
Old 11-26-2007 | 12:57 PM
FTW

Something isn't adding up. Where are you located?
Old 11-26-2007 | 01:13 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Originally Posted by camporealer
Third. If you really like the A-Spec package you can order the body panels and have a body shop fit them to your existing car. It will be a cheaper alternative.
The Type-S already has stiffer suspension and Brembo Brakes so the only real difference is the body work (I don't have the A-Spec so if I am wrong, someone please correct me)
The suspension in the type S is stiffer than the base TL, but the A spec is stiffer than a type S it also drops the car 13mm.

Definitely not worth taking a bath on the trade in of your current car to get one with the A spec, just buy the body kit and the suspension, or go with a custom set up.
Old 11-26-2007 | 01:21 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Originally Posted by Bearcat94
Brakes are not part of the A-Spec package. If you get MT or Type-S, you get Brembo Front's.
You actually do get an upgraded pad set with the A spec if you are doing it to a TL or TL navi. On the type S however, you are correct that it already has the upgraded brakes.
Old 12-27-2007 | 03:47 AM
5th Gear

Red face

Bearcat94 - "No cars come from the factory 'A-Spec'."

I just picked up a 2008 TL Type-S 6MT with factory installed A-Spec. I got the A-Spec package for free and paid $38k for the car. It's my first Acura and holy crap what a great ride! The dealer told me that it's the only 2008 Type-S in the country that has a factory installed A-Spec package.

I'm just learning about the car so any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 12-27-2007 | 10:49 AM
AZ Community Team

^^

No offense, but I think the dealer is blowing smoke up your ass (I could be TOTALLY wrong; it's happened before ).

Why would the factory make only 1 A-Spec and why would *your* dealer get it?

Every other A-Spec I've *ever* heard of is dealer installed.

The best part is, if you got "thrown in" as part of your purchase, not only did you do good ( ), but it doesn't really matter where it was installed.

Grats on the TL-S - great car. Welcome to A-Zine.