Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions about factory ordering a car

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2005, 08:06 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions about factory ordering a car

Hey everyone! This is my first post here and I'll be trading my Mazda 6 for a 6MT Nav in the next month or so. I understand from the local dealer here in CT that a 6MT w/Nav can be hard to get.

If I wanted to order one from the factory, how long does it take to get it? Are dealers willing to do such a thing? When will they stop taking orders for '05s? I really want a NBP/Camel.

I ordered an Audi A4 some years ago and Audi supplied a VIN and the dealer was able to track exactly where the car was in production and when it would arrive. Does Acura offer anything similar?

Final question...is there any info around yet on possible changes for '06 that might be worth waiting for?

Thanks!!
Old 02-07-2005, 08:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BG74
If I wanted to order one from the factory, how long does it take to get it?
Acura doesn't allow customer orders. Dealers are provided allocations which they distribute to a list of potential buyers they maintain at the dealership. Acura builds cars in color and equipment batches which is why the wait is so long for particular combinations. Acura tells the dealer what they're getting, not vice versa.
Old 02-07-2005, 09:00 PM
Gratis dictum

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
In early Sept, I ordered an '04 RRP Navi 5AT through the dealer and it was delivered about two weeks later. I was told the build date and VIN, and I tracked it (thru the dealer) from Ohio to Oregon day by day. Slick system.
Oh, changes for '06? Lots of speculation, but they are probably minor as were '04 to '05.
Old 02-07-2005, 09:07 PM
professional TL driver

Originally Posted by BarryH
Acura doesn't allow customer orders. Dealers are provided allocations which they distribute to a list of potential buyers they maintain at the dealership. Acura builds cars in color and equipment batches which is why the wait is so long for particular combinations. Acura tells the dealer what they're getting, not vice versa.
i know dealers can do swap for cars if they have a customer who wants a car and a different dealer has there combination it... my car had to be ordered after i put down my deposit, they gave me a build date. they qouted me a build date about a week away. they advised it takes 3-4 days from the build date for the car to be shipped and 10 days for shipping. i would have gotton my car in the time prescibed if the rail company didnt have an issue. about a day after my build date my salesman called with my vin #.

my car was a rare/hard to get combo when i bought it.... it seems that only 30% of all tls are manual, and of that #even fewer have navi, and fewer are anthracite, and even less have the ebony interior....

the entire eastern seaboard didnt have my combo when i went looking. i actually went to 3 seperate dealers to see if the first was lying, they all search and came back with the same comment... i went with my home dealer and put in the order
Old 02-07-2005, 11:10 PM
Advanced

I ordered a NBP/Camel back in Nov and the dealer swapped it with another dealer in NJ. This took about a week. Otherwise the dealer told me it would take about a month to get one "factory fresh"(his words).

You'll really like the color combo. I would've never thought to combine NBP/camel, but I had test driven this combo in an 04 months earlier and I fell in love with it.
Old 02-08-2005, 09:27 AM
Intermediate

My dealer ordered my 5AT/NAVI/RED/CAMEL and recieved it from factory in 10 weeks. Dealer can specify any car they want from factory and receive it. But each combination is produced in batches and that is the reason for long wait.
Old 02-08-2005, 11:52 AM
Turbo kit in the works!!!

As long as they have the vin# that is all they need. i just purchased mine on saturday and now i'am just waiting for the call to go and pick it up.
Old 02-08-2005, 12:30 PM
Intermediate

Back in late Nov '03, I ordered a rare 6MT/Navi/Siver/Quart combination, and it took 1 months before the order was put into the system (just missed the monthly order deadline), and it took another 3 months to schedule the build date. All in all, I waited 4.5 months for my TL to arrive. During that time, my dealer was unable to swap with other dealers in all of CA. Hopefully, your wait is shorter. Good luck.