Sponsored by:

Question for those with lip spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 10:07 PM
GQS
Team Anthracite

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question for those with lip spoiler

When you hit the trunk button, does your trink lid spring up to the full open position?

I have a dealer installed OEM lip spoiler (or at least that's what they claim). When i click the trunk button, the lip pops up about 1 inch.

I suspect they either did not swap the springs, or worse, they substituted an aftermarket spoiler (most of which do not come with spring upgrade), and took my money for the OEM version (this has happened to me before with a different dealer a few years ago - that time it was Honda. I raised a stink and they refunded me $200 to cover the difference in price between OEM and aftermarket).

Checking the installation instructions for the OEM kit on the HandA Accessories site, they show spring upgrade as part of the kit. Did I get ripped off again? Can't believe this because I told my sales guy the story about the previous incident - they wouldn't be so bold (or stupid) would they?
Old 04-18-2005, 10:44 PM
Administrator

Received 1,013 Likes on 577 Posts
Sometimes they are just too lazy to change the springs. If you want to make sure you got an Acura spoiler, check for studs coming through the trunk, because the aftermarket spoilers usually don't have studs. You'll have to pull the liner away from the trunk enough to get your hand in to check but it shouldn't be that hard.

I would take it back to the dealer, show him how little the trunk lid comes up, and ask if they changed the springs.

Just remember that TL deck lids don't usually raise up too much. How much difference is it now and the way it was before the spoiler was installed?
Old 04-18-2005, 11:41 PM
Advanced

Mine is the exact same as yours. It is much different than before. It opens about an inch but i actually like it better like that. I complained at first and they didn't use the springs. I left it alone. My guess is that it's an acura spoiler but they were too lazy to change the springs.
Old 04-19-2005, 06:49 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Mine is Acura installed - in fact the guy at dealership confirmed with me like 3 times that I wanted the Lip and not the wing - since the holes are not in the same place...I guess ask 3 times, drill once.

I don't recall how far my trunk came up before the spoiler - it opens a couple inches at the most now - but I really wouldn't want it to shoot up any more than that - specially on a windy day - it would snap right up, and maybe exposing the bodies back there
I like the privacy of just opening a little. As long as my knuckles are not dragging on the bumper to open it - I am good with that.
Old 04-19-2005, 08:51 AM
Racer

My trunk opens about an inch also with the Lip Spoiler. Are you saying it should fly all the open?? I doubt that.
Old 04-19-2005, 08:59 AM
Administrator

Received 1,013 Likes on 577 Posts
Originally Posted by EMF213
My trunk opens about an inch also with the Lip Spoiler. Are you saying it should fly all the open?? I doubt that.
No TL trunk flies all the way open. The normal range, without any spoiler, is only 4-5 inches, but most people are used to trunks that open either completely or most of the way, so when they get a TL they think something is wrong.

There was losts of talk about this in the early days of the 3G TL until people read about it being more or less normal, and then they accepted the fact that the TL trunk will only open a little bit, but enough to get your hand in and open it the rest of the way.

Most people prefer this, especially in the rain or heavy winds, but it just takes a little getting used to.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:33 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
I find it ironic that this is in here as I was just asked about this at the Atlanta meet this past weekend. I have a wing spoiler, and was asked about how it affected the trunk opening. I never saw one open without a spoiler, so I didn't have much to compare, but mine pops up about an inch or two. And personally, like a few others, I prefer it just unlatch as opposed to flying open.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:58 AM
GQS
Team Anthracite

Originally Posted by Ron A
Just remember that TL deck lids don't usually raise up too much. How much difference is it now and the way it was before the spoiler was installed?
Ron - I wasn't aware that the TL trunk lid doesn't raise up much even without the spoiler. Spoiler was installed before I picked the car up, so I never saw how much the lid popped up without it.

Sounds from all the responses here that my situation is pretty typical. I'll raise it with the dealer anyway and see what they say.

I can live with it if the behaviour is typical - I just wanted to make sure I wasn't being shortchanged.

Thanks for your responses, everyone.
Old 04-19-2005, 12:08 PM
Turbo kit in the works!!!

I have a carbon fiber lip spoiler and my trunk does the same.
Old 04-19-2005, 01:38 PM
Team Anthracite Member

If you stop and think about it - does any car pop all the way open? I am trying to think on my old cars - back when you had to put a key in the trunk to open it - if those popped open, you would break your wrist - or at least send your keys flying. I don't think I have ever owned a car that the trunk opened all the way without assistance.
Old 04-19-2005, 10:23 PM
GQS
Team Anthracite

Originally Posted by TBone2004
If you stop and think about it - does any car pop all the way open? I am trying to think on my old cars - back when you had to put a key in the trunk to open it - if those popped open, you would break your wrist - or at least send your keys flying. I don't think I have ever owned a car that the trunk opened all the way without assistance.
Sure the older cars didn't pop open. But since the popularity of remotes, there are numerous cars where the trunk lids do pop up. I recall seeing people approaching their cars at the mall or wherever, and the trunk lid springs open to almost vertical when they hit the remote. Not saying it applies to all cars, but they are out there.
Old 04-20-2005, 12:58 AM
9.5+10.5 22m=Hella Flush

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I have the A-spec lip spoiler and I mine pops up 1inch and I don't think their is anything wrong with it. In fact I like it not to have it pop up 4-5inches. That is way too much I think plus you have to lift it up anyways.
Old 04-20-2005, 06:55 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Just to further my wife's future case of wanting to leave me due to car obsession and that all of us here only want facts - I measured the gap of my trunk "pop" last night. It measured 7.5 inches from the top of the bumper ledge to the bottom edge of the trunk. Not too shabby. Again, it was dealer install so I have no idea about the spring if it was replaced or not. Sounds like some guys have less than that ??

It was so much fun seeing my wife's expression as I popped my trunk and then measured the gap - ha,ha...yep, papers to be filed soon I bet!! Even my 2 1/2 year old goes "Mommy, what Daddy doing? - what measuring Daddy? That's so silly Daddy"

Ha,ha.
Old 04-20-2005, 10:10 AM
Weapon X

I Have the lip spoiler and mine pops open a few inches. I like vs flying all the way open.
Although I did notice last time I washed the car and didnt wipe down the rubber seal inside the trunk. When I tried to open it, The trunk did unlock but didnt come up.
Word of advice, wipe the rubber seal, heck even put a rubber conditioner on it so it wont dry out.
Old 04-20-2005, 09:33 PM
black on black on bla....

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mine never popped up more than 1-2 inches, no spoilers at all
Old 04-20-2005, 11:38 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
The cool part of the added weight of my lip spoiler is that i don't have to worry about double-checking the trunk when i close it .. it takes just a tap and the lid closes with authority -- almost like the auto-close on the front two doors of the TL.