3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question!! OEM WING spoiler real or not?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 05:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts
Exclamation Question!! OEM WING spoiler real or not?

Hello,
My fellow Aziners, well I normally don't post a new thread, but honestly I have searched through many threads but cannot find the answer.

I found a listing on eBay for a RRP wing spoiler, seller(wholesaler) states its "OEM" and has part number listed and "BRAND NEW".

My question is for anyone who has an OEM wing spoiler does it have the Acura emblem engraved underneath it. It comes with all hardware you would find through online Acura part stores and painted.

I want to stick with OEM rather than the OEM style that you can find many through eBay. If this is in fact an OEM part than I will make the purchase I tried calling but its located in FL different time zone(too late). It seems legit and in the color I need which I have been looking for a while now for one to pop up.

Please let me know if its in fact an OEM part.

Old 10-24-2012, 06:04 PM
-------Tim-------

Received 610 Likes on 514 Posts
Yes. Looks to be OEM, I don't know if the Acura emblem on the underside is oem. Check out this thread by member "Rockstar143", he has the wing!

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-photograph-gallery-96/rockstar143s-04-nbp-progress-thread-part-deux-continues-after-6-year-hiatus-780929/

Last edited by Slpr04UA6; 10-24-2012 at 06:07 PM.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,321 Likes on 1,600 Posts
I saw that emblem before too
I think yeah.. OEM has it
Old 10-24-2012, 07:44 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
OEM has the Acura logo underneath.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Slpr04UA6
Yes. Looks to be OEM, I don't know if the Acura emblem on the underside is oem. Check out this thread by member "Rockstar143", he has the wing!

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=780929
Okay whoa!!! its 146pages. WTF!!

Originally Posted by MEKO
I saw that emblem before too
I think yeah.. OEM has it
I guess it really is OEM which makes me happy to hear that.

Originally Posted by I hate cars
OEM has the Acura logo underneath.
I mean I could've called the dealer also but wanted to get the verification here.
And now that I have a few, I will go ahead and make the purchase I was very much tempted to get an OEM style spoiler but didnt know which seller to go with. Luckily this listing was added I believe 2 or 3 days ago, Glad I waited even though its been a year long wait.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:38 PM
Team Owner

Mine is factory. When I was buying the car, it was the only black on black on the lot but I didn't want the wing spoiler. I got them to knock $1000 off because I was walking away due to the spoiler. Now, all these years later it's grown on me I guess.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Do you have pictures of your car here?
Old 10-24-2012, 08:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Mine is factory. When I was buying the car, it was the only black on black on the lot but I didn't want the wing spoiler. I got them to knock $1000 off because I was walking away due to the spoiler. Now, all these years later it's grown on me I guess.
I have always loved the spoiler look through official TL photos, I rarely see any TLs with a spoiler on the road. Maybe 2 white, 1 red and 4 blacks over the course of my ownership.

I know many Azine users go for the decklid, but I felt it was just too well boring for my taste and the color I have seems to look a lot better with a spoiler. Once I found another RRP car with the spoiler in the parking lot I was like I have to get one. But found out they were near $400 new through dealer for the spoiler alone. I was like I can use that money towards the A-spec kit.

And I want my car to stand out among all other TLs lol and unique in some aspect due to the rarity you will find with my color combo and spoiler.

Do you have pictures of your car here?
Not following? what do you mean.

Last edited by Steven Bell; 10-24-2012 at 09:32 PM. Reason: Merged Posts
Old 10-24-2012, 08:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Not you bro. I know your car and yeah get the wing, you will love it
I am asking IHC
Old 10-24-2012, 09:16 PM
Burning Brakes

I am asking IHC
Oh.. lol

my bad. Could have specified who you were talking too. But its all good.
The following users liked this post:
MEKO (10-24-2012)
Old 10-24-2012, 09:20 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,693 Likes on 1,307 Posts
TL wing usually add on with the A-spec package when the car was new but yeah it look legit OEM part.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,183 Likes on 1,211 Posts
Don't you have to drill holes for the install?
Old 10-24-2012, 09:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by truonghthe
TL wing usually add on with the A-spec package when the car was new but yeah it look legit OEM part.
Well since I am the second owner, I never knew what the A-Spec package came with, but I made the purchase but have to wait until tomorrow for it to go through. Very excited.

Originally Posted by ggesq
Don't you have to drill holes for the install?
Yes sir. Which I believe those are templates in the wrapper so I just need to find a DIY on how to install a wing spoiler, I have only seen the decklid one. I'm pretty sure there is a thread so a friend and I will tackle it if I become too chicken shit to do it. Pay to get it installed.

I believe I made off with a great deal. $120 for a Brand New OEM wing spoiler, the seller messaged me back stating "its OEM, I dont sell aftermarket parts".
Old 10-24-2012, 09:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Yes you have to drill holes
OEM has instructions for that also..to drill it perfectly.
ebay ones doesn't have it.
doesn't have those black things on the right also (picture)
It's like spring or something, so after the weight of the wing, trunk doesn't drop fast.

There were many TL's as a brand new with only wing spoiler and no A-spec package in May 2006

Edit: Yeah Mando, why is it that cheap?
No worries, remove the black cover inside the trunk. You know how right? It's easy
you will receive two papers, tape them on to the trunk and drill from the spot that it tells you to. Perfectly done
Open the trunk, you will see the holes you drilled, make someone or two guys hold the wing, you insert the bolts

That spring thing... I have no idea
I didn't undesrtand the DIY also
But I know, you have to take a part the plastic cover on each side of the trunk, round part that holds the trunk on the sides

Last edited by MEKO; 10-24-2012 at 09:47 PM.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Yes you have to drill holes
OEM has instructions for that also..to drill it perfectly.
ebay ones doesn't have it.
doesn't have those black things on the right also (picture)
It's like spring or something, so after the weight of the wing, trunk doesn't drop fast.

There were many TL's as a brand new with only wing spoiler and no A-spec package in May 2006

Edit: Yeah Mando, why is it that cheap?
No worries, remove the black cover inside the trunk. You know how right? It's easy
you will receive two papers, tape them on to the trunk and drill from the spot that it tells you to. Perfectly done
Open the trunk, you will see the holes you drilled, make someone or two guys hold the wing, you insert the bolts

That spring thing... I have no idea
I didn't undesrtand the DIY also
But I know, you have to take a part the plastic cover on each side of the trunk, round part that holds the trunk on the sides

IDK why its so cheap since thats like replica pricing territory. But already purchased.
Yes, I've removed the black cover from the trunk lid and the cover where the springs are hidden(back section; top piece), there was constant squeaking every time I would open the trunk lid, so sprayed some WD-40 and gone.

The drilling is what will worry me, I'm so bad with power tools and hand tools idk how I manage to bruise myself. So probably ask my dad to do it, he is a pro at power tools and drilling holes.

As for the springs, I'm pretty sure it wont be that difficult to replace.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:05 PM
Suzuka Master

That's the easiest part

You have one of these?
close the trunk,
keep the drill at straight angle,
start at lowspeed but don't even push it down, no forcing, just leave the tip touching
increase the speed after it made a hole...give it a light force.. done

Take some pictures of the back section area if you can..where the springs are at and where you sprayed WD-40
or how you installed the springs
I think we don't have pictures of it here, might be helpful for other members may be

Last edited by MEKO; 10-24-2012 at 10:09 PM.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:14 PM
I like turtles

Received 186 Likes on 126 Posts
do they have more than one of those?
Old 10-24-2012, 10:19 PM
Team Owner

I am asking IHC
I do, mostly in some of the tire and brake threads. My picture hosting site is acting weird right now, I'll see if I can post a few.
The following users liked this post:
MEKO (10-24-2012)
Old 10-24-2012, 10:22 PM
Burning Brakes

That's the easiest part

You have one of these?
close the trunk,
keep the drill at straight angle,
start at lowspeed but don't even push it down, no forcing, just leave the tip touching
increase the speed after it made a hole...give it a light force.. done

Take some pictures of the back section area if you can..where the springs are at and where you sprayed WD-40
or how you installed the springs
I think we don't have pictures of it here, might be helpful for other members may be
^HONESTLY, I have no clue what kind he has, but I have seen many power drills with many bits. So I'm confident he has the right tool for this job.
Sure,
That won't be a problem at all to do. I'll borrow my friends camera to take the photos as I dont own a camera just a crappy camera off my Galaxy Nexus smartphone. He does videos for his YT channel, he's a real basshead type person.

So I expect to receive my spoiler sometime next week, or the following Mon.(Nov. 5th). I am looking through the garage and I cant seem to find a DIY install for the WING SPOILER. Unless there isnt one or under a different title.

Last edited by MandoTL; 10-24-2012 at 10:33 PM.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by IamaTL
do they have more than one of those?
Sadly, this was the last one.

Very difficult to find a wing spoiler in our color for a great price. But I will have to wait and see if its an OEM. I still have my doubts for this spoiler, as MEKO stated and my curiosity as to why its listed at such a low price even for a wholesale company.

Last edited by MandoTL; 10-24-2012 at 10:28 PM.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Nice...

I looked for it, the DIY to install 6 months ago, couldn't fint anything
and nothing, nothing about those springs
----
If it's what it is at the picture, no problem

Last edited by MEKO; 10-24-2012 at 10:30 PM.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Nice...

I looked for it, the DIY to install 6 months ago, couldn't fint anything
and nothing, nothing about those springs
----
If it's what it is at the picture, no problem
Do you remember the link to the DIY install? Strange that the springs wouldnt be mentioned.

some Aziners just state to replace just the Right spring after a deck lid spoiler is installed.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Replacing spring after installing a deck lid?
No need for that

No idea about the links, all I was doing was, type to google
Old 10-24-2012, 11:01 PM
UA6
Safety Car

Received 700 Likes on 438 Posts
Looks good to me.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Replacing spring after installing a deck lid?
No need for that

No idea about the links, all I was doing was, type to google
Nevermind, found the Install for the Deck Lid, comes with 2 washer nuts and spring. I think the stock springs are too weak for the added weight IMHO, just read another thread on the whole opening aspect with a deck lid or spoiler. In that it doesnt open all that well without the spring it comes with. Might was well install it rather than tossing it or keeping it in storage kind of thing.

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/installed-04-acura-tl-factory-decklip-spoiler-848486/

Originally Posted by UA6
Looks good to me.
It will look so much better once its installed on my car. I seriously can't wait to get it installed.

Last edited by MandoTL; 10-24-2012 at 11:08 PM.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:55 PM
Suzuka Master

I didn't drill my trunk when I installed the lid. Tapes hold it pretty well
Old 10-25-2012, 12:25 AM
Burning Brakes

I didn't drill my trunk when I installed the lid. Tapes hold it pretty well
To each there own, in my case I HAVE to drill which I'm cool with since I want the spoiler rather than the deck lid. I know that I wont doubt this decision and will enjoy my TL even more and appreciate the added appeal.

Next off, the A-spec kit for Xmas.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:50 AM
Team Owner

You lose a little visibility with the wing. If a car is perfectly positioned with not enough following distance, the headlights will disappear behind the spoiler.

The factory bolts the spoiler with some reinforcing brackets under the sheetmetal. On the rare occasion I crank the subs, I don't think it would stay on without them. It actually flexes the sheetmetal. The wing uses stronger torsion springs. Ive often wondered why the non wing people don't use the wing spring for an auto opening trunk.

Last edited by I hate cars; 10-25-2012 at 12:54 AM.
Old 10-25-2012, 01:56 AM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
This look legitimate. I purchased my OEM wing spoiler from Tim it has the same acura logo on the bottom. It will also include the new trunk springs and it will require drilling and should be held down by four nuts.

I definitely prefer OEM something scares me about the idea of my spoiler being held down by tape I just feel more secure knowing it's bolted down to the trunk.

As for installation drilling those trunk holes was terrifying to say the least as I had never done work like that before. There are instructions around here on the forum and the garage should have the official acura documentation. Just make sure to double check your alignment with the template before drilling and take your time you DO NOT want to rush it. As for the trunk springs I had an acura dealer do it. You need a special tool I believe and I would never have used it again.

Last edited by TheBumbino; 10-25-2012 at 02:00 AM.
Old 10-25-2012, 02:07 AM
Burning Brakes

You lose a little visibility with the wing. If a car is perfectly positioned with not enough following distance, the headlights will disappear behind the spoiler.

The factory bolts the spoiler with some reinforcing brackets under the sheetmetal. On the rare occasion I crank the subs, I don't think it would stay on without them. It actually flexes the sheetmetal. The wing uses stronger torsion springs. Ive often wondered why the non wing people don't use the wing spring for an auto opening trunk.
I'm totally fine with a slight loss in visibility, I was used to it with my Integra that had the spoiler, granted it was a full hatch rather than trunk so the rear window was much bigger but also had the rear wiper blade too.

Plan to fully bolt it down with all that is hardware it comes with since I dont want to take such a high risk with using tape to hold such a heavier accessory compared to the lip spoiler.

Always wondered also from the threads I've read, other members who installed them really didn't install the heavy duty left spring which I thought would help with the opening clearance when you do the trunk release.

Either they just dont want to deal with the install, or they have no clue as to how to intall it. I think its the first choice.
Originally Posted by TheBumbino
This look legitimate. I purchased my OEM wing spoiler from Tim it has the same acura logo on the bottom. It will also include the new trunk springs and it will require drilling and should be held down by four nuts.

I definitely prefer OEM something scares me about the idea of my spoiler being held down by tape I just feel more secure knowing it's bolted down to the trunk.
I completely agree, I was just curious since I never really knew the differences between a replica and OEM wing spoiler other than the material it was made out and the physical characteristics (e.g. replica=flexible; OEM= tougher, hard, less flexible) but apparently to truly have an OEM I guess it has the Acura emblem underneath.

Will ask my dad for the drilling portion of the install and my friend and I will tackle the measurements, removing trunk liner etc to prepare for the job and change out the springs.

I'm just really getting excited, first major mod off my list of future accessories I want to add. I really want to look into the A-spec kit for this Xmas.

Last edited by MandoTL; 10-25-2012 at 02:10 AM.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:15 AM
Suzuka Master

the reason why you might get it cheap probably because it is the last one they need to get rid off before toss it into dumpster since the car is now 7 years old and not too many people willing to pay for accessory for a used car (A-spec kit is an exception). To be honest I never like TL spoiler since it has no brake light in it unlike my Accord which has brake light and make the car looks more aggressive.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:27 AM
Burning Brakes

the reason why you might get it cheap probably because it is the last one they need to get rid off before toss it into dumpster since the car is now 7 years old and not too many people willing to pay for accessory for a used car (A-spec kit is an exception). To be honest I never like TL spoiler since it has no brake light in it unlike my Accord which has brake light and make the car looks more aggressive.
That's partly why I love the wing spoiler so much, in that I dont want another brake light, I would need to disable the third brake light above so it doesnt look weird with 4 brake lights.

It my not be functional as far as aerodynamics but I feel it looks sporty, to each there own. Everyone has a preference, just glad that mine will allow my car to stand out since no one really likes the spoiler on there TL.
Old 10-25-2012, 01:37 PM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
Originally Posted by MandoTL
Always wondered also from the threads I've read, other members who installed them really didn't install the heavy duty left spring which I thought would help with the opening clearance when you do the trunk release.

Either they just dont want to deal with the install, or they have no clue as to how to intall it. I think its the first choice.
I've got the heavier spring installed but I bought the tool to do it. Was worth in my opinion even though I never used it again.
Old 10-25-2012, 01:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by KN_TL
I've got the heavier spring installed but I bought the tool to do it. Was worth in my opinion even though I never used it again.
What is the tool you used, is it a special tool? or can I use any kind of normal hand tool to remove the small plastic bracket thing that holds the springs in place.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:07 PM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
What is the tool you used, is it a special tool? or can I use any kind of normal hand tool to remove the small plastic bracket thing that holds the springs in place.
http://www.bernardiparts.com/Honda-T...F-SNAA100.aspx

It's not the clips. It's the twisting torque that makes it hard to remove and install.

http://acura.bernardiparts.com/Image...5343_27041.pdf

Last edited by KN_TL; 10-25-2012 at 03:12 PM.
Old 10-25-2012, 05:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by KN_TL
http://www.bernardiparts.com/Honda-T...F-SNAA100.aspx

It's not the clips. It's the twisting torque that makes it hard to remove and install.

http://acura.bernardiparts.com/Image...5343_27041.pdf
Will have to order that part since I doubt there is replacement with a cheaper price tag.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:14 PM
Suzuka Master

^^^^$30 that is nothing, just get it since you get the spoiler for dirt cheap anyway.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:34 AM
Type-S

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Question

I believe I made off with a great deal. $120 for a Brand New OEM wing spoiler, the seller messaged me back stating "its OEM, I dont sell aftermarket parts".
Where did you get it for $120?
Old 10-26-2012, 02:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 93 Posts
Originally Posted by ignition_key
I see them up on ebay frequently. Make sure you include OEM in the search terms. Its a bit of a lotto as to what colors they have. Lots of tan spoilers and wings though. Not so bad if you don't mind repainting.
Old 10-26-2012, 02:59 PM
Burning Brakes

^^^^$30 that is nothing, just get it since you get the spoiler for dirt cheap anyway.
True, Im such a frugal buyer for everything. lol
I always try to find the lowest deal on a product and if its a tool same thing, but since this is a special Honda tool and nothing in existence as an alternative. Will purchase that as well.
Originally Posted by ignition_key
eBay. That's why I started this thread since it was in the aftermarket price range so I wasn't sure if it was an OEM item or a aftermarket part. None of the listing showed what the spoiler looked like underneath just a photo with it already on the TL.

Originally Posted by geekybiker
I see them up on ebay frequently. Make sure you include OEM in the search terms. Its a bit of a lotto as to what colors they have. Lots of tan spoilers and wings though. Not so bad if you don't mind repainting.
I've seen the DMM color(tan) a lot when i searched for the wing spoiler. That was what I wanted to avoid was if their advertising a RRP spoiler aftermarket one. I was scared for the color matching since I guess there are different shades within such a specific color code from Acura that the company would need to get an exact match.