Sponsored by:

Question - Acura TL & NSX

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 05:40 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question - Acura TL & NSX

I've been wondering......

Is Acura TL engine based on Acura NSX's engine? I have purchased the NSX before but unfortunately I never got to drive it. But I have a feeling that the engine sound of the NSX is somewhat similar to the 3rd gen TL. The first gen NSX and 3rd gen TL have identical horsepower, but with NSX being 3.0 liter and TL being 3.2. I would feel really really proud if the TL's use NSX engine, well, except for the Titantium rods?
Old 03-21-2007, 06:08 PM
Drifting

Received 212 Likes on 100 Posts
I dont think it is the same one. Even the engine codes (C30B for the NSX and J32 or something for the TL) are different, on top of the fact the TL has a SOHC configuration and the NSX has a DOHC configuration.
Old 03-21-2007, 06:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,004 Likes on 1,424 Posts
i was really curious about this too for a while. I asked my dealer's NSX certified techs and they said no, totally diffrent animals. The NSX was rear engine based and had a total different configuration thatn any other acura made. BTW, this is courtsey Acura in sanford florida (also see NSX's n the garages, mostly with geroriga, texas, florida and alabama plates. Some odd ones have been NYC, NJ, PA and one that was from michagan)
Old 03-21-2007, 06:34 PM
Pro

no and they don't sound the same either.
Old 03-21-2007, 06:37 PM
Drifting

That was what i thought too before buying the TL. I did my own research too and found it to be false. The NSX had two engine configurations available, the C30/C30A (3.0 liter DOHC) and the C32B (3.2 DOHC), whereas the TL came with the J32A model that came in 3 power outputs and upgrades, the 225-hp one (2nd gen), 260-hp (late 2nd Gen Type-S) and the 270hp/258hp (3rd gen non Type-S). the fact that it was rear wheel drive isnt really a problem, as i think, with the same effort one member ive seen here do by squeezing a 3.5 RL engine into a 3G TL, we can squeeze the C30-series engines under the hood of the 3G TL.

not easy, but i think its doable.

plus i agree, the two dont sound the same. part of the noise in the NSX engine is due to the VTEC acting on the exhaust valves too - something the TL engine doesnt have.
Old 03-21-2007, 07:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Originally Posted by meowCat
I've been wondering......

Is Acura TL engine based on Acura NSX's engine? I have purchased the NSX before but unfortunately I never got to drive it. But I have a feeling that the engine sound of the NSX is somewhat similar to the 3rd gen TL. The first gen NSX and 3rd gen TL have identical horsepower, but with NSX being 3.0 liter and TL being 3.2. I would feel really really proud if the TL's use NSX engine, well, except for the Titantium rods?
i apologize for going ot, but i don't get it. you purchased an nsx but never got to drive it?
Old 03-21-2007, 08:06 PM
Banned

Hmmmmmm.... nice to know guys, nice to know.... so I guessed wrong then. i bet that NSX engine is more expensive too since it's tuned for exotic sports car.

ggesq, no problem, I purchased the '92 mint conditioned red NSX out of state. The transport carrier totalled my NSX during shipment from Wilsonville, OR to Indianapolis, IN. about 2400 miles? or somethin like that. They hit a deer at high speed at night and the truck ran into a ditch and fliped over several times. My NSX was in the second floor of the carrier and that was the first thing that got .... crushed. Gone through 3 months of mess and sort it all out. Got my money back.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
ouch. sorry to hear about the nsx.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:17 PM
Banned

it'z ok... I got over it, but surely was a nightmare...

It was one of the prettiest looking car too. it had mileage of 33k and all components were maintained/replaced such as valves, pumps, etc.

But now I have the new TL 6MT. It's got powa man.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:36 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
Hmmmmmm.... nice to know guys, nice to know.... so I guessed wrong then. i bet that NSX engine is more expensive too since it's tuned for exotic sports car.

ggesq, no problem, I purchased the '92 mint conditioned red NSX out of state. The transport carrier totalled my NSX during shipment from Wilsonville, OR to Indianapolis, IN. about 2400 miles? or somethin like that. They hit a deer at high speed at night and the truck ran into a ditch and fliped over several times. My NSX was in the second floor of the carrier and that was the first thing that got .... crushed. Gone through 3 months of mess and sort it all out. Got my money back.
Didn't you post about this when it happened? I seem to remember this sad storry.
Old 03-21-2007, 10:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MR1
Didn't you post about this when it happened? I seem to remember this sad storry.
Yes I did. That is exactly it...
Old 03-21-2007, 10:59 PM

Received 5,920 Likes on 2,918 Posts

Whoa! Now THAT'S a bad day!
Old 03-22-2007, 12:02 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes I did. That is exactly it...
So after reading that, I can't believe you are not adverse to "ordering" another car Kitty! WTF??? I would be thinking that you wouldn't want anyone else handling that 08 TL-S (which, I don't believe there will be anyway. I think the 07 will be the thing until the 2010 or 11 TL-S comes out).

Hell, why put it on a truck or order it from some agency and risk it? Let's just trade that damn lease in and go pick it up from somewhere in 08 Kitty-Cat! Better deals are from up north you know!

Wait-a-minute! Dammit Kitty! I'm in the wrong thread!!! This isn't your car buying thread! You keep shifting gears on me Kitty! (excuse the pun!) LOL! That serves you right for making so many threads! Oh well, let me say something so this post will be a little correct:

NSX engine is more expensive! There? That cool?

Later cool Cat!
Old 03-22-2007, 01:03 AM
No He Can't

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
what made you decide on the TL instead of another NSX??
Old 03-22-2007, 02:19 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by sixsixfour
The fact that it was rear wheel drive isnt really a problem, as i think, with the same effort one member ive seen here do by squeezing a 3.5 RL engine into a 3G TL, we can squeeze the C30-series engines under the hood of the 3G TL.

Not necessarily. Angle between cylinder banks is for NSX 90º and TL 60º, which makes NSX engine quite wider. Probably too wide for available space.

plus i agree, the two dont sound the same. part of the noise in the NSX engine is due to the VTEC acting on the exhaust valves too - something the TL engine doesnt have.
Sound difference comes from different configuration. 60º angle has exactly 120º between explosions, and 90º has first 90º than 150º and so on.
Old 03-22-2007, 08:42 AM
The Boss

no they are not the same.
Old 03-22-2007, 09:50 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by mishar
Not necessarily. Angle between cylinder banks is for NSX 90º and TL 60º, which makes NSX engine quite wider. Probably too wide for available space.

a 90* vee angle six can be made to fit in the 3G TL engine bay, of course, not without a lot of work, hence why I said its *doable*. if you think that you would reuse/leave on everything else besides the TL engine, yes the C30-series wont fit. thats why most swaps have almost bare engine bays. they have to custom-install everything to make things fit. comparing things side by side, the engine bay of a 3G TL is substantially/a bit bigger than the NSX engine bay.
Old 03-22-2007, 11:26 AM
Racer

a 90* vee angle six can be made to fit in the 3G TL engine bay, of course, not without a lot of work, hence why I said its *doable*. if you think that you would reuse/leave on everything else besides the TL engine, yes the C30-series wont fit. thats why most swaps have almost bare engine bays. they have to custom-install everything to make things fit. comparing things side by side, the engine bay of a 3G TL is substantially/a bit bigger than the NSX engine bay.
Well, if you are ready to completely redesign your TL why wouldn't you go for Cadillac Northstar engine. That one, factory supercharged, comes with 448 HP. Rear wheel drive would be a nice touch.
Old 03-22-2007, 12:21 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by mishar
Well, if you are ready to completely redesign your TL why wouldn't you go for Cadillac Northstar engine. That one, factory supercharged, comes with 448 HP. Rear wheel drive would be a nice touch.
i dont plan to. I just said it was *doable*.

would I do it? no. ive had fast cars and competed myself personally. besides, im not going to actively install a US-built motor in my car (the TL just happens to have it already by default).

If i *were* to put a stronger engine and do RWD, Id pick the 2JZ or the RB26DETT. a lot more potential and more aftermarket support.
Old 03-22-2007, 12:27 PM
Banned

mishar, no, that's a bad idea. I don't want no stinkin American engine in my TL. I want the engine built by Japanese delicate hands. The NSX engine is gold compare to the Cadillac Northstart ghey engine. The difference is the quality and reliability. Horsepower does not rule everything. How many damn times do I have to teach this to people all over the internet. i am getting tired, meow meow meow.

However, the concept of fitting the NSX engine to the TL is quite intriquing.
Old 03-22-2007, 12:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by darksom1
So after reading that, I can't believe you are not adverse to "ordering" another car Kitty! WTF??? I would be thinking that you wouldn't want anyone else handling that 08 TL-S (which, I don't believe there will be anyway. I think the 07 will be the thing until the 2010 or 11 TL-S comes out).

Hell, why put it on a truck or order it from some agency and risk it? Let's just trade that damn lease in and go pick it up from somewhere in 08 Kitty-Cat! Better deals are from up north you know!

Wait-a-minute! Dammit Kitty! I'm in the wrong thread!!! This isn't your car buying thread! You keep shifting gears on me Kitty! (excuse the pun!) LOL! That serves you right for making so many threads! Oh well, let me say something so this post will be a little correct:

NSX engine is more expensive! There? That cool?

Later cool Cat!
Thankx for the cheers, darksom1

The NSX I bought was last year, sometime April, and lasted good 3 months or so getting the mess sorted out. The NSX was purchased from out of state becoz they are hard to find. The one that was available in local was crap, much worse condition, has high mileage and they asked too much for it. With these cars you'll have to search different states to find a good one. What I should've done was to actually fly/drive over there, get the NSX, and drive home myself. I've learned the lesson NOT TO buy a car from out of state and get it tranported.... bad bad naughty idea!!! I swear, I will never do that again. About 5% of my life span has been reduced because of this. You could imagine....

Anyways, I got so pissed about it so went for the different car. I was going to get either the Infiniti G35 or the Acura TL and I chose the TL...

but it's hard for me to decide for sure what car I'm going to get next because the 3rd gear problem needs to be taken care of by 2008 or I'll be looking at other brands.... Other than the 3rd gear problem, I love the TL. It rides the best, and runs the best. I love the engine sound of the TL... it makes me wanna MMMmmmmMMMMmmmmmmmm meow meow~~
Old 03-22-2007, 01:25 PM
Team Anthracite

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That was what i thought too before buying the TL. I did my own research too and found it to be false. The NSX had two engine configurations available, the C30/C30A (3.0 liter DOHC) and the C32B (3.2 DOHC), whereas the TL came with the J32A model that came in 3 power outputs and upgrades, the 225-hp one (2nd gen), 260-hp (late 2nd Gen Type-S) and the 270hp/258hp (3rd gen non Type-S). the fact that it was rear wheel drive isnt really a problem, as i think, with the same effort one member ive seen here do by squeezing a 3.5 RL engine into a 3G TL, we can squeeze the C30-series engines under the hood of the 3G TL.

actually in development term.. the J-series engine.. is "derived" from the C-series (NSX, old RL) engine..

the C series is in a 90 degree config where as the J is 60 degree.. as honda has phased that engine out.. the J series is whats left for V6 honda engine and there should be strong development for it.

i can so see the next TL or RL come out with simply a 3.2 or 3.5 but with DOHC Head config =)

which i think is doable in providing 300+ horsepower for the 3.2
Old 03-22-2007, 09:50 PM
Racer

mishar, no, that's a bad idea. I don't want no stinkin American engine in my TL. I want the engine built by Japanese delicate hands. The NSX engine is gold compare to the Cadillac Northstart ghey engine. The difference is the quality and reliability. Horsepower does not rule everything. How many damn times do I have to teach this to people all over the internet. i am getting tired, meow meow meow.

However, the concept of fitting the NSX engine to the TL is quite intriquing.
I just wanted to point out that if one is ready and able to do conversion that requires cutting body parts and replacing them with custom made ones (firewall for example), than one might as well do something even that creasy as installing V8. As I sad, rear wheel drive would be nice touch to that dream.

Speaking about V8, Northstar is an excellent engine, more advanced than NSX’s V6. That goes for TL’s engine too. Exotic doesn’t mean reliable.

For the conclusion, I prefer delicate robots “hands” to assemble my engine. They don’t become stressed and depressed.
Old 03-22-2007, 10:10 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by tidus888
actually in development term.. the J-series engine.. is "derived" from the C-series (NSX, old RL) engine..
I don’t think so. Everything is different. From V angle, bore, stroke, to SOHC.
i can so see the next TL or RL come out with simply a 3.2 or 3.5 but with DOHC Head config =)
That makes sense only if they get rid of rocker arms and make valve angle smaller, like all serious guys. But they may as well come with V8. Competition has it.
which i think is doable in providing 300+ horsepower for the 3.2
Not a problem at all. But V8 is V8.
Old 03-22-2007, 10:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
The J series is a far different animal than the C series. As mentioned 60 degree angle verses 90. The J series is lighter and is SOHC only. The J series is VERY compact for its displacement. The C series sounds better too IMO.

Legend and 1st gen 3.2 TL guys have been curious about NSX swaps for years. Its not going to happen.
Old 03-22-2007, 10:43 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thankx for the cheers, darksom1

Anyways, I got so pissed about it so went for the different car. I was going to get either the Infiniti G35 or the Acura TL and I chose the TL...

but it's hard for me to decide for sure what car I'm going to get next because the 3rd gear problem needs to be taken care of by 2008 or I'll be looking at other brands.... Other than the 3rd gear problem, I love the TL. It rides the best, and runs the best. I love the engine sound of the TL... it makes me wanna MMMmmmmMMMMmmmmmmmm meow meow~~
Yeah...it is playing our song when it purrs like that Kitty!

(Think about cold stuff, think about cold stuff) Ok, whew! I'm back...where was I? LOL! Oh yeah, did you try the GM SyncMesh in your car? I know it's a lease and you only wanna go but so far, but give it a try. I bought it, but I haven't put it in yet. I will let you know what I get out of that test.

Til then Kitty...keep it puurrrcolating!
Old 03-23-2007, 09:09 PM
Mr. Flibble is very cross

mishar, no, that's a bad idea. I don't want no stinkin American engine in my TL. I want the engine built by Japanese delicate hands...
TL engine is made in USA. Did you honestly not know that?
Old 03-24-2007, 01:11 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by crashandburn
TL engine is made in USA. Did you honestly not know that?
The TL engines are built in Japan. The chassis and transmission are built in America, Ohio, IIRC.

Did you honestly not know that?
Old 03-24-2007, 06:39 AM
Racer

The TL engines are built in Japan. The chassis and transmission are built in America, Ohio, IIRC.

Time to check your facts.
Honda Engines
Old 03-24-2007, 12:22 PM
Mr. Flibble is very cross

You've got it backwards. 6MT transmission is from Japan -- engine is from US.

It's printed right on the new car window sticker (in case you don't believe the Wiki site).
Old 03-26-2007, 11:44 AM
10th Gear

Not the same engine...

The NSX engine is based on the original Acura Legend engine. I think we all know that by now, but just incase... The only thing it has in common with the TL engine is the fact that it's a V6, that's it. Totally different in everyway shape/form.