Question about secret storage for Gun.

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2010 | 01:30 AM
Intermediate

Question about secret storage for Gun.

Ok First off let me Clarify, I am a part time officer as I work through college so this is not about drugs. Now that said I am trying to find a position to place my firearm where it is totally unable to be seen but able to be reached within a quick second. Where I had been storing my gun before wasn't working. I keep a Smith and Wesson J-Frame 38 in the car normally. Small and compact, however I don't want it down in the arm rest. Any ideas????
Old 01-29-2010 | 02:06 AM
Three Wheelin'

Under the dash but thats still kinda noticeable. Car doesnt have many areas to conceal well unless you use that one side compartment in the door which is not as visible but its not easy to pull out your gun if you need it. Those are the only two spots that I see where you could have access decently quick. I have seen some people just have a holster deal mounted on the center console but lower and they just carry the weapon with them since they have a license to conceal.
Old 01-29-2010 | 02:18 AM
18psi

are you familiar with serpa lock holsters? attach the holster to the plastic portion of the seat in front of you between your legs. it fits perfectly. the holsters normally come with 2 different attachments for your belt. when you see them youll know exactly where to place the screws so it mounts to the seat.

however, the firearm should always be on your person
Old 01-29-2010 | 07:23 AM
Registered Member

When I used to carry one of my "carry" guns in the car, I put in in the forward cup holder. For those times when I wanted to conceal it, I would simply cover it with something nondescript and normal looking. Since I now use my holster all of the time when carrying (and I carry just about all the time), this is no longer a concern for me.

libert69 mentioned the Blackhawk Serpa holster and they are pretty good for the purpose he suggested. Along with the Serpa, you might consider the Fobus Evolution. The only downside with these two holsters is that they are open carry primary holsters. That means they tend to sit out from the body more than an IWB or OWB flat leather holster. But his suggestion has merit.

Why not just use your carry holster and go with that?
Old 01-29-2010 | 07:44 AM
Instructor

Sig Sauer P220, typically under the front seat in a gun-rug to keep it from sliding forward under hard bracking. For those intimate moments when driving into less-than-desirable-territoy, under my right calf ;-)
Old 01-29-2010 | 03:24 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

There was a member who holstered his carry on the seat between the legs.. very noticeable but pretty ideal if the state allows.
Old 01-29-2010 | 03:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

As I recall it was a silver type S that did that.
Old 01-29-2010 | 03:34 PM

yep.. Here's the thread:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=735362

Old 01-29-2010 | 04:26 PM
Intermediate

Nice, a Khar PM9? Good little gun. I usually leave my Glock 27 on the floorboard when I'm driving, and in my holster when I'm not in the car. Leaving a gun in the car is probably not the best idea. I'd hate to know that I somehow enabled a criminal to acquire a nice firearm illegally.

Neal
Old 01-29-2010 | 04:31 PM
Instructor

I have a RL but usually leave my smith & wesson 5906 inside the glove compartment but where the manual is suppose to be at..... but that's not a bad idea.
Old 01-29-2010 | 07:22 PM
under renovations....

you can try under the center speaker on the dash. a friend of mine has his there and he can pop the grillle off easily to get access to it fast.
Old 01-29-2010 | 07:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

Still an extra step to do. Less the better.
Old 01-29-2010 | 08:00 PM

I wonder if there's enough room in the kick panel above the ecu for a pistol.. I bet you might be able to fab a compartment, depends on how crazy you want to get.
Old 01-29-2010 | 08:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Majofo
I wonder if there's enough room in the kick panel above the ecu for a pistol.. I bet you might be able to fab a compartment, depends on how crazy you want to get.
Get some robocop slider action.
Old 01-29-2010 | 10:55 PM

Prime Directive #5: Twirl gun cannon out of holster before kill.
Prime Directive #6: Twirl gun cannon into holster after kill.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEkno...eature=related
Old 01-29-2010 | 11:44 PM
Team Owner

I'm getting ready to get a Taurus 3" barrel .45 as my "carry" weapon. But right now the Gold Cup Trophy conceals about as well as a shotgun lol.

In this state, hiding it is extremely important if you have it loaded while driving. I've never had a felony and don't intend on getting one but my protection comes first. I've been pulled over and told the officer I had a loaded weapon in the door. I didn't get in trouble but I was shaking from the thought of getting arrested.
Old 01-30-2010 | 12:15 AM
runnin a little boost

Originally Posted by I hate cars
I'm getting ready to get a Taurus 3" barrel .45 as my "carry" weapon. But right now the Gold Cup Trophy conceals about as well as a shotgun lol.

In this state, hiding it is extremely important if you have it loaded while driving. I've never had a felony and don't intend on getting one but my protection comes first. I've been pulled over and told the officer I had a loaded weapon in the door. I didn't get in trouble but I was shaking from the thought of getting arrested.

I would be very lerry about telling an officer you are actively concealing a weapon. The likelyhood of an officer asking to search your car is very remote unless you are doing something very strange.

The person who said the glove box is asking for trouble durring any encounter with law enforcement carry permit or not.
Old 01-30-2010 | 12:20 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Hi speed
I would be very lerry about telling an officer you are actively concealing a weapon. The likelyhood of an officer asking to search your car is very remote unless you are doing something very strange.

The person who said the glove box is asking for trouble durring any encounter with law enforcement carry permit or not.
You're 100% correct but it was nearly in plain sight and if he found it before I said something it might've gotten ugly. I'm working on my CCW so hopefully soon it won't be an issue.
Old 01-30-2010 | 12:45 AM

Telling the officer was definitely the right way to go. I think most law enforcement officers know that licensed gun holders makeup less than 0.5% of violent crimes in the nation. They're more concerned about the individual who doesn't tell them about the concealed weapon. In TX as well, if you have a ccw and you have the gun in the vehicle it MUST be hidden, which is opposite in other states.

Have you shot the short barrel 45 yet? I've never been very accurate with a compact / shorty from a reasonable distance. The HK USP 40 compact or a snub nosed 38 / 357 is as small as I can go comfortably, but give me a standard 1911 any day.

edit: also how much is the license in CA? I'm guessing expensive..

Last edited by Majofo; 01-30-2010 at 12:47 AM.
Old 01-30-2010 | 01:06 AM
Fearless DIY Guy

If you wanted to get REALLY slick, you could extend the wires for the mirror/heated mirrors to the opposite side, and cut an appropriate aperture in that location.
Old 01-30-2010 | 01:23 AM
Safety Car

In Texas, it is REQUIRED that your concurrently submit your ccw license when handing your driver license to the officer as he approaches.

But of course, if you are not carrying at the time of the pull-over, you are not required to submit your ccw license.
Old 01-30-2010 | 01:39 AM
New shoes on my

This looks pretty slick.
http://www.securityprousa.com/vesehocarseh.html

I just carry my M&P 9C in a Comptac M-Tac IWB at the 5 o'clock position, pretty easy to draw from the seat.
Old 01-30-2010 | 01:45 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Majofo
Telling the officer was definitely the right way to go. I think most law enforcement officers know that licensed gun holders makeup less than 0.5% of violent crimes in the nation. They're more concerned about the individual who doesn't tell them about the concealed weapon. In TX as well, if you have a ccw and you have the gun in the vehicle it MUST be hidden, which is opposite in other states.

Have you shot the short barrel 45 yet? I've never been very accurate with a compact / shorty from a reasonable distance. The HK USP 40 compact or a snub nosed 38 / 357 is as small as I can go comfortably, but give me a standard 1911 any day.

edit: also how much is the license in CA? I'm guessing expensive..
I don't remember but my father has the license and I remember being surprised at how cheap it was, I believe under $200. It's a single 8 hour weekend class or a week of 2 hours a day from what I remember but don't quote me on that.

We have a new Sheriff in Kern County making it much harder than it used to be to obtain a CCW but with my line of work I should be able to get one.

I'm nervous getting one because it's such a huge responsibility to carry a weapon but I would hate myself if something happened to someone I care about and could've been prevented with a gun. My whole attitude is different when I carry because getting in a confrontation with an aggressive personality may end up in more than a fight so I have to avoid it at all costs. But it's good. The girlfriend likes it because on trips I'm super calm whereas without it I tend to get annoyed with people easily.

I love the 1911. I've gotten so comfortable with what I grew up shooting that I ended up buying some of the same guns that my father owns. I have shot my father's short barrel Taurus .45 and I expected it to be accurate to about 5' lol but it has really amazed me. At 50 yards it's surprisingly accurate for what it is relatively speaking of course.

I'm trying to get the girlfriend to go shooting for the first time in her life so she's not so afraid of guns. Of course it will be at a real gun range so she can see there are others that like to shoot. Maybe if I start her with the shotgun or 45-70, my .45 will seem like a toy.

I guess I'm going way off topic but it's a boring Friday night.
Old 01-30-2010 | 08:27 AM

Inacc you're 100% correct!..

IHC.. yeah that sounds just about the same reqs as TX.. It ends up being around ~200 with the license fee & class..

I took my gf & her sister shooting when her sister was visiting from WA after we first got to TX. We were shooting a HK USP 45 from the shop.. I put the target about 20 yrds and grouped my first clip center of the target. My grouping was okay, maybe 5 inch radius, I figured not bad for not shooting in a while. My gf's sister used to be in the Army so although she was proficient, she was a bit nervous since it had been over a year since she held a gun. She got up there and put all her shots within a 3 inch radius, real tight. I'm like WTF?! Then my gf gets up there and it's her first time shooting ever.. and she puts them in about the same pattern as me.. I'm in disbelief at this point.

I then went up and shot another clip.. kept my breathing real smooth, and tried not to anticipate the shot, just focusing on the sights & smooth trigger pulls. I got a better grouping but this time I put them on the head of the target. My gf sister comes up and she made an even tighter grouping on the head as well.. maybe 2 inch radius.. We were on the far left.. and every guy down the line with their customized pistols were looking at her shots, they were in disbelief by her, not just me. It was embarrassing.. lol. The range master said if she was a local he'd hire her on the spot... moral of the story, if your girl shoots better than you and you've been shooting on & off your whole life.. keep cool, jaw closed, tear ducts off.. if she's horrible.. you da man.. either way, the fact that she went out to shoot with you and she doesn't shoot you means she's a keeper.

okay.. back OT.
Old 01-30-2010 | 10:42 AM
Racer

i say put it between your seat and your center console. haha
Old 01-30-2010 | 11:58 AM
One on the right for me

I'd actually mention to the officer right off the bat. Chances are they aren't going to search anyway. It is better for them to know than to be surprised later in the stop.
Old 01-30-2010 | 02:46 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by I hate cars

Yeah, California is rough (and completely out of line) when it comes to exercising your rights. Here in Virginia, it is exactly the opposite in that carrying open or concealed (permit required for concealment) is a piece of cake and a no brainer. Twelve days ago I, and several hundred other Virginians descended upon our delegates and senators in Richmond in their offices. We were all armed and openly visible. All was well and we were welcomed.
Old 01-30-2010 | 02:48 PM
Registered Member

Depends upon the state. Do keep that in mind. And if the officer breaks the law, he can be in hot water.
Old 01-30-2010 | 02:50 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Inaccurate
In Texas, it is REQUIRED that your concurrently submit your ccw license when handing your driver license to the officer as he approaches.

But of course, if you are not carrying at the time of the pull-over, you are not required to submit your ccw license.
We are not required to inform in Virginia during a traffic stop, but I do most always because I don't like surprises.
Old 01-30-2010 | 03:02 PM
Registered Member

There are some excellent arguments regarding carrying in one's car as opposed to carrying on one's person while in a car (hope that sentence makes sense). If you are carrying your firearm in a cup holder, secured holster, glove box, or some other fixed location in the car's interior, the gun can be more readily available to you. But the drawback is if you are suddenly accosted and pulled from your car by some BG's, there is the very real possibility that you won't be able to get to your gun in time and now it is in the hands of the BG's along with your car.

However, if you have your gun on your person in a holster, it may be a little more difficult to pull but if you're yanked from your car, you gun comes with you. The BG"s might be in such a hurry to get your car, they won't see your piece. Good arguments for both sides.

For the past 2 years, I have been using a belt holster, shifted towards my 12 o'clock position to both clear it from the seat belt buckle and make it easy for me to draw. With a Fobus Evolution or a DeSantis Mini Slide, this works (better with the Fobus). This makes my gun "open carry" which is the default mode of carrying a handgun in Virginia. A permit is required for concealed carry, but not for open carry. And I carry openly perhaps over 90% of the time I carry, which is nearly always.
Old 01-30-2010 | 03:06 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by NealKasper
Nice, a Khar PM9? Good little gun. I usually leave my Glock 27 on the floorboard when I'm driving, and in my holster when I'm not in the car. Leaving a gun in the car is probably not the best idea. I'd hate to know that I somehow enabled a criminal to acquire a nice firearm illegally.

Neal
Yeah, that's a Kahr. Leaving your G27 on the floorboard?? How do you secure it from sliding around?

As for leaving your gun in your car, you're right. Avoid this whenever possible. The last thing you want to do is give a loaded gun to a BG who just stole your car. Take it with you whenever you can or buy a gun lock box and secure it somewhere in your car.
Old 01-30-2010 | 03:08 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
Yeah, California is rough (and completely out of line) when it comes to exercising your rights. Here in Virginia, it is exactly the opposite in that carrying open or concealed (permit required for concealment) is a piece of cake and a no brainer. Twelve days ago I, and several hundred other Virginians descended upon our delegates and senators in Richmond in their offices. We were all armed and openly visible. All was well and we were welcomed.
I'm from the Gulf Coast so I know how bad CA sucks when it comes to gun laws......and many other laws but that's a different topic. Luckily the redneck town I live in is pretty conservative when it comes to guns. It was pretty easy to get a CCW here until the new Sheriff took over. They were very nice when my dad wrote a letter from Iraq asking to renew his CCW without him being here and they granted it.
Old 01-30-2010 | 03:21 PM
I disagree with unanimity

Wisconsin sucks.

What about the pocket in the door?
Old 01-30-2010 | 04:35 PM
Senior Moderator

I don't get pulled over very often but the 2 times I did I handed my CCW permit at the same time I handed over my DL and both LEO's thanked me for letting them know there was a loaded gun in the vehicle.
Old 01-30-2010 | 05:48 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ggesq
I don't get pulled over very often but the 2 times I did I handed my CCW permit at the same time I handed over my DL and both LEO's thanked me for letting them know there was a loaded gun in the vehicle.
Lets hope you're easier with the gun than the ban button.
Old 01-30-2010 | 05:57 PM
Senior Moderator

Old 01-30-2010 | 06:15 PM

Hammer time..
Old 01-30-2010 | 07:02 PM
Registered Member

Good for you folks who have chosen to take the responsibility for your own safety and well being by carrying a firearm to protect yourself and those for whom you care. This is a good thing... hopefully, you'll never need to use it. But of course, it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
Old 01-31-2010 | 11:05 AM
My Daily Driver

agreed sho_nuff...wisconsin does suck
Old 01-31-2010 | 03:31 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
Yeah, that's a Kahr. Leaving your G27 on the floorboard?? How do you secure it from sliding around?

As for leaving your gun in your car, you're right. Avoid this whenever possible. The last thing you want to do is give a loaded gun to a BG who just stole your car. Take it with you whenever you can or buy a gun lock box and secure it somewhere in your car.

My size 12's keep from going anywhere... I drive like a sissy... I bought the TL for the luxury part of sport/luxury. I've only had it move once, and that was when i had to stab the brakes, then a quick shuffle of the feet and back she goes.

Neal

Quick Reply: Question about secret storage for Gun.