Quality Problems-- Can it be?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2004 | 09:30 PM
G35 Killer

Quality Problems-- Can it be?

My 6sp TL is certainly the best car I have owned YTD. But I believe I may have some quality issues. Tomorrow AM, Acura will ber replacing my front brakes as they "scream" when I stop. Also, I was hand washing my car over the weekend and the damn paint came off of the front fascia! I could not believe it! Acura told me that they would "take care of it", but I am still surprised.
Has anyone had similar problems?
Old 09-20-2004 | 09:52 PM
Miss my 89 Legend

How many miles have u raked up so far?
Old 09-20-2004 | 09:54 PM
Racer

FYI, I had my pads replaced and rotors resurfaced for excessive brake noise and also my front bumper repainted for peeling paint. Certainly not perfect, but I'm still a big fan of this car.
Old 09-20-2004 | 10:37 PM
Racer

There is a TSB out for the brake issue. I actually took my car in today for the first oil change and they printed out the TSB for me. The TSB states to try refinishing the rotors first, but my dealership told me that they will just replace the Rotors and the Pads instead.
Old 09-21-2004 | 08:26 AM
G35 Killer

Thanks for the info!

I currently have 8K on my car.
I just dropped it off at the dealer and they confirmed the TSD on the brakes. They are going to replace the brake system today. As for the peeling paint, the jury is still out. The dealer is whining about replacing it. But, I will be fighting the good fight as I think it is wrong and they need to fix it. Stay tuned....
Old 09-21-2004 | 08:34 AM
Drifting

Geeze...I'd never let them turn the rotors for squealing....all that does is remove metal and shorten the life of your brakes. It's possible to stop the noise by seating the brakes if you've got Brembo's.
Old 09-21-2004 | 09:41 AM
Wants an M3 in

Well something that seems to work for others on the board was to take the car out on a back road (where there are no cops and hardly any cars) and "exercise" the brakes. Speed up to about 55 MPH and then slam on brakes. Repeat. My brakes squeeled for a while but then they just stopped. So I am happy. Anyone know the lifespan (mileage) of the brembos?
Old 09-21-2004 | 02:04 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by ludachrisvt
Well something that seems to work for others on the board was to take the car out on a back road (where there are no cops and hardly any cars) and "exercise" the brakes. Speed up to about 55 MPH and then slam on brakes. Repeat. My brakes squeeled for a while but then they just stopped. So I am happy. Anyone know the lifespan (mileage) of the brembos?
That's exactly what I did with my brakes (brembo) but I took the speed up to around 70MPH and used heavy braking several times allowing the brakes to cool slightly between runs. Ever since, I haven't heard so much as a squeak from the brakes. I don't remember where I read about this method, but it really works with Brembo's.
BTW, I don't know the lifespan of Brembo's, but I've heard when the time comes it's really expensive...$250++ to repair. If anyone knows the exact $$, I'd sure like to know so I can start saving up now.
Old 09-21-2004 | 03:03 PM
Acura Sales Rep.

Our dealer has had numerous people come in for 6spd brake problems and chipping paint in the front bumper. I think if the car was assembled in Japan it wouldnt have these problems.
Old 09-21-2004 | 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by TL me
My 6sp TL is certainly the best car I have owned YTD. But I believe I may have some quality issues. Tomorrow AM, Acura will ber replacing my front brakes as they "scream" when I stop. Also, I was hand washing my car over the weekend and the damn paint came off of the front fascia! I could not believe it! Acura told me that they would "take care of it", but I am still surprised.
Has anyone had similar problems?
Do a search under problems
Old 09-21-2004 | 03:32 PM
Intermediate

My 6sp TL is certainly the best car I have owned YTD.

I'm sorry TL me, but I have to ask.
If this is the best car you owned year to date, what are all the other cars you've owned this year and what was wrong with them this year?
just messing with you.

I own the auto, which means I don't have the brembo brakes. However, after a week of sitting in the garage the brakes squeal like freaks when i'm backing down the driveway slowly. So I usually give a little gas, maybe not even going 15mph, before braking fully. Then they stop squealing and I can finish backing out of my driveway in quiet. It appears that in my car, I need to seat the pads every so often, by braking very hard. I don't have be going as fast as the other posters mentioned. Hopefully that might help.

I changed the brakes on my SLK with Porterfield pads and liberally applied anti-squeal compound in the process. They only squeal if my wife has braked the car for an extended period of time, such as using it for an entire day. Then when I drive it the next day and for several days afterwards, the brakes squeal every time. The acura's brakes don't seem to mind whether she has driven/braked vs. me.
I hope that part about different drivers wasn't overly confusing. Basically I'm just noting that different drivers of the same car, have an effect on the brake pads.
Old 09-21-2004 | 03:49 PM
Team Nighthawk Director

G'luck with the dealer. Keep us posted as to what happens.
Old 09-21-2004 | 04:05 PM
G35 Killer

Problem Solved?

I hate to bash American cars, because not all American cars are bad. But this is my first "foreign" car and I really like it. Maybe I am just surprised that I am having quality issues so early (I only have 8K on it).
My dealer just called and said they replaced the rotors and brake pads and the "squeal" went away. Since it is 6 speed, I do believe that the brakes are Brembo.
As for the paint peel, the Dealer told me that the front fascia was painted improperly by the part manufacturer. They want to paint both the front and rear fascia at their expense. Stay tuned...
Old 09-21-2004 | 05:18 PM

I hate to bash American cars, because not all American cars are bad. But this is my first "foreign" car and I really like it. Maybe I am just surprised that I am having quality issues so early (I only have 8K on it).
My dealer just called and said they replaced the rotors and brake pads and the "squeal" went away. Since it is 6 speed, I do believe that the brakes are Brembo.
As for the paint peel, the Dealer told me that the front fascia was painted improperly by the part manufacturer. They want to paint both the front and rear fascia at their expense. Stay tuned...
Your foreign car is American. Designed for here, built here, built by Americans. As Buick as they come.
Old 09-21-2004 | 08:42 PM
Racer

I found bedding in the brakes (panic stop method) improved the braking significantly. Surprisingly, the rears produced a bunch more dust than the fronts from this. I did this around 2K miles and they have been fine for the last 7K.
Old 09-21-2004 | 10:33 PM
i souport publik edekason

I'm driving an RSX loaner...

Cuz my front bumper (twice now) has developed some paint flaking on the left side of the bumper where it has a seam with the left front fender. (Keyes Acura in Los Angeles - Van Nuys) Great guys they have fixed it no questions asked...

When I took delivery it also had a small paint chip missing from the trunk lid right side (actual side of the part) inside the seam...

Again always fixed always their expense...

Still the best F@#$@ing car I've owned...

Salut
Old 10-06-2004 | 10:08 PM
Advanced

When I took delivery of my car i also had a very minute paint chip on the seam of the hood closest to the window. It's very small but it looked like it already rusted. Since it's so small not sure if i should take it back and complain about it. Was thinking of trying to clean it as much as I can and then get some touch up paint. What do you guys think?
Old 10-06-2004 | 10:16 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by tekageek
When I took delivery of my car i also had a very minute paint chip on the seam of the hood closest to the window. It's very small but it looked like it already rusted. Since it's so small not sure if i should take it back and complain about it. Was thinking of trying to clean it as much as I can and then get some touch up paint. What do you guys think?
Did you notice it when you checked out the car before delivery?
Did they make a notation of it?
How long have you had the car?
In any case, I would take it back and complain about it.
Old 10-06-2004 | 10:59 PM
Safety Car

i had the squealing problem when i first got the car. but after about 4K miles on the car, its completely gone. however brake dust is another issue, after about 3 days of driving i have gun metal front wheels.
Old 10-07-2004 | 12:00 AM
Racer

I have two words for you... AMERICAN BUILT!

Next time think twice when buy an american built car. nuff said.
Old 10-07-2004 | 12:09 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by salut88888
I'm driving an RSX loaner...

Cuz my front bumper (twice now) has developed some paint flaking on the left side of the bumper where it has a seam with the left front fender. (Keyes Acura in Los Angeles - Van Nuys) Great guys they have fixed it no questions asked...

When I took delivery it also had a small paint chip missing from the trunk lid right side (actual side of the part) inside the seam...

Again always fixed always their expense...

Still the best F@#$@ing car I've owned...

Salut
I have you beat 4 paint repairs to the fron bumper and one for the rear. I'm looking into the lemon law and getting out of the car.
Old 10-07-2004 | 02:24 AM
Advanced

Ron A,

I should have clarified, the chip is on the trunk, closest to the rear window, right on the edge. Didn't see it until I washed the car this past weekend. I took delivery on 9/18. I checked the maintenance manual and nothing was noted. I also noticed the car was checked just a week before to. Really looks like it's rusted. I'm going back to the dealer.
Thanks
Old 10-07-2004 | 08:08 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by revhi
Our dealer has had numerous people come in for 6spd brake problems and chipping paint in the front bumper. I think if the car was assembled in Japan it wouldnt have these problems.
I've had several quality issues with my '04 TL (bought in July, built in June), probably more than with any other car I bought but I don't think it has any thing to do with being made in America. In fact I bought the car for that reason; high US parts content, made In USA.
Hondas have been built in that same plant for years and all you ever hear about is Honda quality. Nobody ever mentions that these are US built cars when they talk about high quality, but if the quality sucked I bet all you would hear about is "American made POS".
The workers can only put the parts on that they're given. If the Japanese owners decide to increase content and cut back on quality then there is nothing the workers can do about it. Every car manufacturer in the world has learned how to design and build cars from Americans.
I for one am tired of having every fault and defect in the world laid on this country's door step. If you didn't have an American job do you think you'd be worried about the quality of your luxury car or where your next meal was coming from.

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS AND OUR COUNTRY.
Old 10-07-2004 | 03:55 PM
Not a Blowhole

The Marysville plant has one if not THE highest quality rating of all Honda's plants worldwide, in terms of defects per 100 cars. The whine and cheese here gets loud at times, and there is xenophobia levelled at the US which, if reversed, would likely engender cries of racism. Honda exports TL's to Japan and other countries - that would be impossible if the cars were as iffy as some here assert.
Old 10-07-2004 | 08:15 PM
Drifting

TL Me.....I don't know what a "facia" is..but did you try asking the dealer to order you a new factory part instead of having them paint it?
Old 10-08-2004 | 07:10 AM
G35 Killer

I am finally getting my front fascia completely repainted. After just one bubble, five others have developed in the past few weeks. The Acura dealer in FL has said that they have repainted several TLs because of this problem.
Overall the car is still great. Hopefully this will be the last quality issue.