Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quality Control

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 12:13 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quality Control

kinda upset with the quality of my brandnew 2006 WDP TL with navi. the front and rear bumper paint doesn't match the paint of the car. the left side sideskirt isn't mounted properly. my trunk door's left side isn't flush with left rear panel while the right side is. does anyone have these problem? stock radio is sub par.
Old 11-10-2006, 01:14 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 93 Posts
And you accepted delivery of this car still?
Old 11-10-2006, 05:17 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
exactly my thoughts....
Old 11-10-2006, 07:29 AM
Instructor

i went thru the list (this list https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...14&postcount=7) before taking delivery. the salesmen was like... damn. i went thru almost the whole list... and still had a problem. but to give acura credit they did make me happy at the end. so far no probs.
Old 11-10-2006, 10:05 AM
Instructor

well i didn't really notice all these details until i washed it the other day. is this normal for wdp? i was driving through the best buy parking and i saw another wdp tl so i checked the tl and it was like mines with the front and rear bumper's paint being slight darker than the rest of the body.
Old 11-10-2006, 10:25 AM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Armydog14
well i didn't really notice all these details until i washed it the other day. is this normal for wdp? i was driving through the best buy parking and i saw another wdp tl so i checked the tl and it was like mines with the front and rear bumper's paint being slight darker than the rest of the body.
I think it is. I had similar issues with my '01. It may just be the nature of the color and how it shows up differently on metal and plastic.

Nonetheless, I loved that color. I love the color of my RL, but still kinda miss the WDP.
Old 11-10-2006, 10:44 AM
Instructor

Mine is the same way although it's Alabaster Silver. In certain lighting conditions I can notice it. But... If I didn't point it out... no one else would. I'm not that picky... it's a car. While I do take care of it and I like it to look good. The inevitable will happen. Doors will get dinged in parking lots, rocks and road debris will take their toll over time, little scratches, etc. will happen. Life goes on and for me... it's not worth worrying about as long as it doesn't detract from the "BIG PICTURE"
Old 11-10-2006, 10:46 AM
Gratis dictum

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yep, I have yet to see a WDP that did match the body color with the bumper color. I think it has something to do with the paint additive they use to add flex to painted poly bumpers. Personally, I would never again have a white car. Reminds me of a refrigerator with wheels.
Old 11-10-2006, 10:53 AM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I think the primer below the paint is a different color on the plastic compared to the metal.

I also have a trunk thats not flush. I'm like you. I went thru every anthracite on the lot. Every damn one of them had something wrong, but I can deal with the trunk I guess. I was down to 2 cars. And the other didn't have ebony interior. All the others had something I couldn't look over in a "new" car.
Old 11-10-2006, 11:23 AM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I have seen other new cars, from different manufacturers, with this type of paint matching problem.

I talked to a really excellent body shop manager at a top notch Ford dealer and he said that they see it all the time. His thought was that the parts of each car are painted in batches as pieces. All the front bumpers painted at once, then all the rear bumpers painted at once, etc.. before they are mounted to each individual car. So each car is never sprayed with color all at one time.

Not sure if Honda does it this way or not.
Old 11-10-2006, 11:27 AM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If you really look,, and admit it,,, every color of TL has a bumper/body paint matching issue. I don't care what anyone says, having painted cars for numerous years I can see it in all of them. Granted, some of the colors mask it better than others. Your/all of our WDP's definitely give it away the worst.

Big question is why Acura has refused to fix this in the last 2+ years?? My answer: yep, a lack of QC and the fact that the TL is still selling like hot-cakes and they don't hear enough complaints about it... It's obviously not hurting sales so why spend capital to fix the process...

I wanted the white "refrigerator with wheels" look thus accepted the WDP for what it is on the TL. I did however take my TL home and hand adjusted every panel/door except the hood to perfect the lines etc.. The trunk lid actually took more than just a bolt loosening and shift.. It required the bolt holes to be elongated enough to actually perform an adjustment.

I remember laughing when I read an article where Acura initially published/stated how perfect the lines/gaps on the 3G TL were/would be.. I believe the initial 2004 TL brochure had the comments.. After production this "claim" was pulled from the TL literature. The production line could obviously not back up the statement. It was very evident when I picked up my TL.

Bottom line, the TL is a great car yet like all, it has it's faults. Many of which most owners wouldn't think twice about. Others, us anal car freaks just fix to our liking..
Old 11-10-2006, 04:39 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by KJSmitty
If you really look,, and admit it,,, every color of TL has a bumper/body paint matching issue. I don't care what anyone says, having painted cars for numerous years I can see it in all of them. Granted, some of the colors mask it better than others. Your/all of our WDP's definitely give it away the worst.

Big question is why Acura has refused to fix this in the last 2+ years?? My answer: yep, a lack of QC and the fact that the TL is still selling like hot-cakes and they don't hear enough complaints about it... It's obviously not hurting sales so why spend capital to fix the process...

I wanted the white "refrigerator with wheels" look thus accepted the WDP for what it is on the TL. I did however take my TL home and hand adjusted every panel/door except the hood to perfect the lines etc.. The trunk lid actually took more than just a bolt loosening and shift.. It required the bolt holes to be elongated enough to actually perform an adjustment.

I remember laughing when I read an article where Acura initially published/stated how perfect the lines/gaps on the 3G TL were/would be.. I believe the initial 2004 TL brochure had the comments.. After production this "claim" was pulled from the TL literature. The production line could obviously not back up the statement. It was very evident when I picked up my TL.

Bottom line, the TL is a great car yet like all, it has it's faults. Many of which most owners wouldn't think twice about. Others, us anal car freaks just fix to our liking..

i think it's becuase our cars are made here in the usa. you dont see these problems with cars are built in europe or japan. those flaws with the body and paint makes one perceive if the car was in an accident. acura is messing up with that issue. kinda disappointting, you would think acura is quality. thanks for all the input folks. i thought i got Focked but i guess i'm not the only with this issue. so i guess we all got focked.
Old 11-10-2006, 06:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,004 Likes on 1,424 Posts
Originally Posted by 2005 Silver Bullet
I have seen other new cars, from different manufacturers, with this type of paint matching problem.

I talked to a really excellent body shop manager at a top notch Ford dealer and he said that they see it all the time. His thought was that the parts of each car are painted in batches as pieces. All the front bumpers painted at once, then all the rear bumpers painted at once, etc.. before they are mounted to each individual car. So each car is never sprayed with color all at one time.

Not sure if Honda does it this way or not.
The bumpers are paint seperatly from the rest of the car. This may cause some mis match and also the flex additives may also cause the darkend look
Old 11-10-2006, 08:33 PM
Instructor

Yeah, one rear door lines up with the body and the other doesn't. I noticed this a week after I picked it up. Amazing that Inspection did not pick that up, unless of course it was designed that way on purpose. I guess we will never know
Old 11-10-2006, 08:43 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I took delivery of the same 2006 TL I test drove the day I bought it. I didn't inspect it except to make sure it had no dents, scratches, etc. I've looked at it in the sunlight, I've looked at all the creases and crevices when washing it, I've looked at the interior where the doors meet the inside panels... the whole lot of it.

I think what I'm confused by is how I don't notice these things (and trust me, I'm TOTALLY NIT-PICKY when it comes to cars) but everyone else does.

I think the slight difference in paint color has a lot to do with the fact that one is painted and primered metal and the other is painted and primered plastic. But, I've looked and if there IS any difference, it's hardly noticable.

I TOTALLY respect those who have the opinion that the production quality of the TL is sub-par, and I'm certainly not criticizing your want of a "perfect" car, but... I mean... C'mon! Who really pulls out a ruler on the lot and goes over the panels with a fine-tooth comb to make sure the spacing where they meet is consistent all over the car?
Old 11-10-2006, 10:16 PM
acura-cl.com OG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
honestly, i love the TL but it runied my perceived quality of an acura automobile. i have a WDP and my bumpers dont match, my a-spec kit doesn't match, i have or had every rattle in the book and i feel that on a brand new "mid level luxury" car this kind of thing shouldnt exist.
needless to say, the TL is the best overall value, but a better car can be bought for $2-3,000. My next car will either be a BMW, Lexus or Infiniti.
Old 11-11-2006, 02:36 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ding069
honestly, i love the TL but it runied my perceived quality of an acura automobile. i have a WDP and my bumpers dont match, my a-spec kit doesn't match, i have or had every rattle in the book and i feel that on a brand new "mid level luxury" car this kind of thing shouldnt exist.
needless to say, the TL is the best overall value, but a better car can be bought for $2-3,000. My next car will either be a BMW, Lexus or Infiniti.
so you have 3 different shades of white to your TL. that total makes the car look cheap. i'm gonna add the body kit this weekend. hopefully mines will not turn out as bad. yeah i lost alot of respect i had for the acura brand. i do love my TL but the build quality sucks!