3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulled the DRL fuse, now what about that pesky dash light?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 10:08 AM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pulled the DRL fuse, now what about that pesky dash light?

OK, so I pulled out the 15A fuse for the DRL lights, and now it says DRL on the dash. I thought I could live with it, but it's just too annoying and my wife complains about it also.

If I disconnect the DRL bulbs, the light persists with or without the fuse, so the circuitry seems to be outsmarting me - I assume that the logic for all this is done through code. So how can one get rid of the DRL light, short of surgically removing the bulb from the instrument cluster?

-=ZIG
Old 07-18-2007, 11:58 AM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Zig,

Put the fuse and bulbs back where they were, and poof...no more DRL light on the dash!

Just kidding with you...Honestly I've seen this come up before and nobody seems to have a solution yet.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:35 PM
Let's Go Pens

You'll just have to learn to live with it. I thought I couldn't either, my wife bitched as well. After a week or two I don't even notice it anymore.

I wouldn't do anything "surgically" because depending on your state inspection laws you might have to have those DRL's in working order come inspection time. In this case you easily just pop back in the fuse and then just remove it again when inspection is over.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:48 PM
Intermediate

Just wondering, what's the benefit of disabling DRLs?
Old 07-18-2007, 01:13 PM
Boomer Sooner!

Originally Posted by jscout
You look cooler

Plus, you're more "stealthy" to other traffic - you sneak up on 'em and then blow past 'em

Honestly, I have no idea
Old 07-18-2007, 01:32 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by jscout
May be it’s the same reason why one should tint his lights or windsheald?
Old 07-18-2007, 02:15 PM
Couldn't be happier!

Originally Posted by OKNBPTL
You look cooler

Plus, you're more "stealthy" to other traffic - you sneak up on 'em and then blow past 'em

Honestly, I have no idea

Leave it to a sooner to get this thread off topic... lol

Until DRL's become required on US spec cars, this is truly a matter of personal preference.

To get back on topic though, the light in the instrument cluster is unavoidable unless you want to risk opening your dash up and digging for it. It took me a little while, but I quickly got used to having it lit.

In all honesty, it encourages me to turn on my headlamps more often because once you do the 'DRL' light turns off. Does that make it safer? lol
Old 07-18-2007, 02:16 PM
Let's Go Pens

tinting your winshield helps block the sun...oh yes, and it looks incredible. 50% is perfect.

Because I hate having the look of headlights on in the day time. If they were HIDS I might not complain so much. With the wattage being as low as they are and looking piss yellow....I prefer not to have my DRL's on :o)
Old 07-18-2007, 02:49 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 07WDP
Until DRL's become required on US spec cars, this is truly a matter of personal preference.
In all honesty, it encourages me to turn on my headlamps more often because once you do the 'DRL' light turns off. Does that make it safer? lol
Ah, so the reasons are purely cosmetic. Also, can't you just set the headlight switch on the stalk to auto so you never have to remember to turn on the headlights? I'd thank that would be safer. I have an '07 so that's how it works. I don't know if the previous years have auto headlights.
Old 07-18-2007, 03:22 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by zigthis
OK, so I pulled out the 15A fuse for the DRL lights, and now it says DRL on the dash. I thought I could live with it, but it's just too annoying and my wife complains about it also.

If I disconnect the DRL bulbs, the light persists with or without the fuse, so the circuitry seems to be outsmarting me - I assume that the logic for all this is done through code. So how can one get rid of the DRL light, short of surgically removing the bulb from the instrument cluster?

-=ZIG
Back to topic, Zig, a small amout of black Electrical tape carefully placed over the light may do it for you.....or as some say you may not notice it after a while?
Old 07-19-2007, 06:50 AM
Eagle Automotive, Inc.

the circuit is looking for a certain amout or ressistance that the bulbs produce, the filament inside the bulb acts like a resistor the only difference is that it glows when current is flowing through it, the DRL indacator light is really there to tell you if a bulb burns out. when you pull a bulb or a fuse that is what it is seeing, no ressistance.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:24 AM
My Daily Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
damn, I wanted the opposite, so I wired the fogs on my 05 to come on with the parking lights, so I basically HAVE DRL's now....haha....
Old 07-19-2007, 09:33 AM
Safety Car

DRL is a resistor in the relay for the lights.....i think u can change the relay but y do that? its a cool feature
Old 08-02-2007, 01:11 AM
Mug
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts
What if you disconnect the power from the DLR bulbs and splice them into the fog's positive. Then your fogs would become your DLRs and you wouldn't loose your fogs at night. And the DLR system would then have resistance = no DLR light. I think it would look good, much like the MDX's DLRs.
Old 08-02-2007, 01:29 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
When I am behind the wheel, driving down the road on a nice sunny summer afternoon, I can't even tell my car has DRL's.

I know; It's crazy, but swear to god, I don't even know they are there.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:11 AM
Safety Car

mug if u do that ur lookin to blow the circuit that controls your fog "turn on/off" feature....unless u disconnect the fog connections and run new cables from the drl's to the fogs
Old 08-02-2007, 09:35 AM
Mug
Burning Brakes

Do they make one way resistors that could block the power from flowing into each circuit? Or maybe wire a relay to power the fogs to prevent the power from flowing into the fog circuit?

Oh and sorry about the misspelled acronym on my last post, I must have been really tired. What is a DLR anyway?
Old 08-02-2007, 09:46 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bearcat94
When I am behind the wheel, driving down the road on a nice sunny summer afternoon, I can't even tell my car has DRL's.

I know; It's crazy, but swear to god, I don't even know they are there.
You too? Me too! WOW, and i thought i was the only one that could care less if my DRL's are on or off.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:09 AM
Pro

I'm always paranoid about the car behind me...wish that the tails came on with the DRL's since IMO, I'm far more likely to get rear-ended than I am to get hit in front.

And I am with the other guys about being ambivelent...don't care at all if the DRL's are on or off.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:41 AM
Racer

That with lights always on started way back in Sweden. Somebody smart figured out that it is good for safety not to thrust everybody’s opinion about when is the right time to turn lights on. Now it is accepted in the most European countries. In Canada too. It will be the law in the States soon. It will clear dilemma for some guys here. If not right away then after a few tickets. Question is: Do some people always have to be forced to do something smart, or they can figure it out on their own at least sometimes?
Old 08-02-2007, 12:43 PM
Intermediate

I like the look of DRLs. To me, any car that doesn't have them seems to look outdated and old.
Old 08-02-2007, 01:34 PM
Intermediate

Honestly, when I bought my 07 TLS I hated the DRL but after a while i learn how to live with it. In fact, most of the time you don't even realize it because you are in the car anyways. The only people that is going to realize you have DRL is the oncoming cars.
Old 08-02-2007, 02:20 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by illusionistic
Honestly, when I bought my 07 TLS I hated the DRL but after a while i learn how to live with it. In fact, most of the time you don't even realize it because you are in the car anyways. The only people that is going to realize you have DRL is the oncoming cars.
Not to start an argument or get into a pissing match, but help me understand why or how you hated your DRL's? Like you and others have stated, you don't see them when you are inside the car, driving it, so how do they bother you then? If anything, the people that don't like DRL's should be asking other drivers to disable their DRL's, so they dont have to look at them...lol.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:17 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Vanilla_Gorilla
Not to start an argument or get into a pissing match, but help me understand why or how you hated your DRL's? Like you and others have stated, you don't see them when you are inside the car, driving it, so how do they bother you then? If anything, the people that don't like DRL's should be asking other drivers to disable their DRL's, so they dont have to look at them...lol.

It is that some people just don't like the looks of DRL on cars. For me, when i first saw the TL with DRL I didn't like the looks of it either but after a while of having my car I have gotten use to it being on my car and don't even realize its on my car anymore. The only time I realize i do have DRL is when i am behind some car and see the reflection of the 2 yellowish dot on their bumpers
Old 08-02-2007, 08:47 PM
Mug
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Vanilla_Gorilla
With that attitude, one should be driving the Chameleon. You know, the Saturday Night Live commercial car? Ugly on the outside with all the goodies on the inside.
Old 08-02-2007, 10:09 PM
Instructor

Glad this thread came up, regaring the DRL's I dont hate them i just hate how yellow they look. I was thinking in replacing them with another type of bulb maybe an LED, would still light up yellow? Also just want to make sure i think the size of the bulb is 9005 is that correct or im wrong.
Old 08-02-2007, 10:18 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by KineticTypeS
Glad this thread came up, regaring the DRL's I dont hate them i just hate how yellow they look. I was thinking in replacing them with another type of bulb maybe an LED, would still light up yellow? Also just want to make sure i think the size of the bulb is 9005 is that correct or im wrong.
I was thinking the hyper white bulbs or some actual yellow lights.
Old 08-02-2007, 10:28 PM
Instructor

I saw sum LED's bulbs hyper white and think those might work the thing that got me thinking is since the DRL receive a really low wattage probably even LED's would still look yellow, im right or wrong? I just dont want to see that yellow look in my headlights..which is why I'm upgrading my Fogs to HIDs soon.
Old 08-03-2007, 06:30 AM
Intermediate

What about chromed bulbs?
Old 08-03-2007, 08:45 AM
Let's Go Pens

Replacing the bulbs will have almost no effect on how "yellowish" the lighting will look. Keep in mind our DRL's have a lower wattage so regardless of the bulb the light is still going to look crappy. I suggest either removing the DRL fuse (just deal with the instrument panel light) or going to a full hid conversion as a few have done with their fogs.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:39 AM
Mug
Burning Brakes

Not that I'm for the yellow light, but wouldn't hyper white light reduce the effectiveness of DRLs? If they emit light that is closer to the color of sunlight, they probably would just blend in and not perform their function. Just a thought.