Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pro's, Con's & Nags - One week in

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2004, 05:17 PM
'04 6mt Pearl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pro's, Con's & Nags - One week in

I'm going to attempt to convey my Car and Dealer experiences with updates at the following intervals. I may re-adjust this to be KM based.

1 week - general observations likes gripes and nags.
1 month - new observations and how am I adapting to the above
3 month - car should be broken in by now, guess I'll be as well
6 month - here we find out what the car is really made of
compressed camel sh_t or real car stuff.

Here's what I hope to pass along.
Pro's
Con's
Nag's
Unresolved problems

Purchased an 04 just last week. Did well on price since the '05's are already here. She's a beaut so far with 6MT and Brembo's. In Canada the 6MT is marketed as a Dynamic package not an A-Spec(2003) or Type-S(2002). There are no options that I know of, except Navi and Floor Mats and maybe skirts. The 6MT comes with the Brembo's and leather wrap wheel. I'd like to learn more about the packages offered in the US but that is another thread.

Some details
Since it's an 04, it was a great deal. Let's say more than 5k lower then MSRP. Actually for a yank tank (American Made) it could have been more but I digress.

Why an 04 TL
I went to the dealer looking to see the '05 TSX in the new light blue they are offering. The '05's also have control backlighting and I thought a Japanese built machine like the TSX would be better as was the Integra I came from. I hope to be proven wrong but indications are, that the Japanese built cars are a tad better. The '05 TSX with a 5AT was as expensive as the '04 TL 6MT so I went TL.
It was in the showroom and the wife sat in it and said "oh ya this is sweet". Since there are no known changes for the '05 model I thought the 04 was a worthy investment. I learned that the 5AT TL would have been cheaper, but the Brembos are soo sweet you can just about stand the car on its nose. The '04 was not offered with BlueTooth unless you went Navi but that's in Canada. Correct me if I am wrong on this.

PROs
- Silky smooth power. Watch that tach cause you could over-rev if not watching.
- Gobs of power
- Seats are comfortable.
- Best control layout of ANY car I've seen or driven - I am NOT (last time I checked) Chinese, but this car has Feng Shui (I think)
- Sunroof control is so intuitive. Up=UP, Back=Back, Forward=well ya guessed it
- Map light controls are also pure joy... press lens=ON press again=OFF
- Audio layout is great and easy to get used to
- Power..lots...okay too much for a front drive..Hey Acura let's go AWD (SH)
- Styling as compared to the TSX has some plusses the side crease, car looks lowered. Side markers, car is considerably wider.
- Great forward cupholders
- Stops with authority
= did I mention POWER
- good turning radius as compared to a TEG
- leather wrap steering wheel is pure joy - very good layout + feel
- tilt telescope wheel is a nice plus - telescoping wheels seem to be coming back into fashion
- nice touchy feely controls for air vents
- very acceptable stereo DVD system

CONs
- Summer tires...Salesman told me as I was leaving the dealership
- Bad rear cupholders..dremel fix in 10 minutes..after warranty fix !
- No folding rear seat
- leather looks a bit cheap out and cheap - upscale cloth option would be nice
- 91 octane
- signal lights are incandescent - but why?
- bi-xenon headlamp system - bulbs may not last as long as separates
- black interior is not as visually striking as the contrasting camel or parchment
- white paint on plastic bumpers doesn't match the body's paint
- dome lights left on still flatten the battery - auto shut off needed
- poor color selections - wanted Redondo red
- headlights don't seem as effective as Integras

NAGs
- Instrument lights too bright
- Control surface lights too dim
- No Trip computer selection memory - must press the button each time I start the car - this is one of my pet peeves
- seat belt difficult to grab hold of to put on
- horn is too loud inside the car
- every cubby surface seems to have a soft rubber pad except the big one above the ashtray cubby this makes no sence at all
- 3 pass windhield mist - a single pass would do - leads to premature windscreen wear which is important here on the left coast
- no bluetooth phone to test with..yet

PROBLEMS
- Blown speaker replaced by dealer in a few minutes
Old 12-26-2004, 05:27 PM
Administrator

Received 1,015 Likes on 577 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Thanks for taking the time to write this great post.

Very informative and in-depth, and will probably generate lots of replies.
Old 12-26-2004, 05:38 PM
Racer

a couple of your nags confuse me... but that is probably because I use the A and B odometers more than the trip computer (save to check mpg). I like the loud horn (too many morons out there not to have a loud horn)

I can tell you though that using the handsfree with a bluetooth phone is pretty nice... now that I have it, I can't imagine going back!
Old 12-26-2004, 06:15 PM
In need of an AV.........

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Instrument lights to bright---push the max button and they will dim for you!!!!
If you select the trip computer and reprogram your keyfob, it should go back to computer, mine does '05.

I do agree with your pros though.

VERY GOOD write up.

POINTS for you!!!
Old 12-26-2004, 06:19 PM
Instructor

Good write up, welcome to the TL community.
Old 12-26-2004, 10:44 PM
Cruisin'

Which Dealer in Vancouver did you deal with?

Did they have any more remaining 2004 model's in stock (I am also considering a 6 speed manual) ? Can you also please let me know who your salesperson was.
Old 12-26-2004, 10:59 PM
TL-SHAWD 6MT Rocks!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do 05 - 6MT come with NAVI as an option in Canada ?
they didn't used to.

nice write up!
Old 12-27-2004, 01:26 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by NOX 3.2
Do 05 - 6MT come with NAVI as an option in Canada ?
they didn't used to.

nice write up!
Yes, the '05 - 6MT can be had with NAVI now... unfortunately we missed out in '04 and could only get one or the other. I actually would have liked both options... ah well... trade up in a year or two .
Old 12-27-2004, 02:20 AM
CEO, Team Anthracite

- black interior is not as visually striking as the contrasting camel or parchment
- white paint on plastic bumpers doesn't match the body's paint
- dome lights left on still flatten the battery - auto shut off needed
- poor color selections - wanted Redondo red
I don't think your problems with the color selection should be a "con" -- you have a choice of what color you want in and on your car, but since you bought the 04 your color selection was probably pretty limited. Had you opted for an 05 I'm sure those wouldn't be issues anymore.

However, good write-up just the same.
Old 12-27-2004, 07:08 AM
Racer

the color options are the same as last year, or was that also an issue affecting Canadian TL'ers?
Old 12-27-2004, 09:25 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Great review. I like your plan to update us regularly. I have been updating the site with my experience every three months or so, as well; it'll be nice to have a second report. (Click "one year report" in my signature to read my reports, they're all linked.)

Points for you!

As to your specific points:

1. The lack of folding rear seat has been an issue since the previous generation. The lame excuse used is "increased stability". Whatever.
2. The leather is also a known issue--just search for "butt prints" and you'll see what I'm talking about.
3. Hey, I like the black interior!
4. The slight color mismatch between car and bumper is not only a known issue with this car, but with other makes as well, and is most pronounced with white cars.
5. I can't believe that they sold you the car with summer tires on and didn't tell you until you were driving off. Definitely not cool of the dealer, now your first mod has to be snow tires.
6. Haven't you noticed that the turning radius is awfully large? I thought it was better in the 'teg? Any case, that's one of my complaints about this car.

I agree with all your pros.

I still love my car, warts and all--no car is perfect. I'm sure you'll love it! And welcome to the board, your input will be valuable.
Old 12-27-2004, 09:49 AM
Burning Brakes

good write up. Overall, I love the TL. The butt prints is a pain in the ass, but it's a car, nothing is perfect. It snowed in NJ yesterday, so I will be looking forward to see how this car handles in the snow and cold winter overall.

hope everyone had a nice holiday and drive safely!!
Old 12-27-2004, 10:06 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
Cons

that makes no sense whatsoever
Old 12-27-2004, 10:11 AM
Youse Gots Sacked

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
see i don't care how many cons this car has....i still love it more then anything and wouldn't give it up for anything...the pros are so amazing and powerful that u lose sight of all the cons...the only thing that bothers me is the RAWNESS of the HFL...
Old 12-27-2004, 02:39 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Welcome to the forum, thanks for your detailed write-up.
Old 12-27-2004, 02:45 PM
2020 RDX A-Spec

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Had my 2005 since 12/17...

Only nag I have is on the HFL. After you say DIAL <insert name here>, the HFL will then ask you to confirm that you want to DIAL that number.

Since this is my first HFL system, I am not sure if this is a standard thing to ensure the right number is dialed...

Other than that, everything else on this car pretty much rocks...

I traded in a 2000 TL for this one so I guess I am still in my adjustment phase...
Old 12-27-2004, 02:59 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by spacejamz
Had my 2005 since 12/17...

Only nag I have is on the HFL. After you say DIAL <insert name here>, the HFL will then ask you to confirm that you want to DIAL that number.

Since this is my first HFL system, I am not sure if this is a standard thing to ensure the right number is dialed...

Other than that, everything else on this car pretty much rocks...

I traded in a 2000 TL for this one so I guess I am still in my adjustment phase...

On mine, after HFL repeats the number I just say call, it just says calling and dials the number, no confirmation needed. Try that. I think bluetooth is not 100% sorted out yet and various manufacturers only provide portions of the software stack. HFL not perfect but still rocks, who else has it for $35K?
Old 12-27-2004, 03:30 PM
2020 RDX A-Spec

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MR1
On mine, after HFL repeats the number I just say call, it just says calling and dials the number, no confirmation needed. Try that. I think bluetooth is not 100% sorted out yet and various manufacturers only provide portions of the software stack. HFL not perfect but still rocks, who else has it for $35K?
Sorry, I should have said that it does it when you dial numbers stored in the HFL phone book...

You are correct that if you dial the numbers instead of the name, it does not ask for confirmation...

The HFL does rock though...
Old 12-27-2004, 03:35 PM
Racer

Good write-up.

I agree completely about having to turn the computer on every time I start the car. Thats just silly.

And I also don't get why the dual-bulbs would not last as long as one.
Old 12-27-2004, 03:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Welcome to the cult....glad to have you her and points for the review!

my .02 on the turning radius....I don't really think it's all that bad. If you'd like to try a REALLY wide one, come drive my wife's Sienna!
Old 12-27-2004, 04:22 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by triggle
CONs
I could be wrong on this, but I thought these were bi-xenon HIDs, so the bulb is the same and lit the same whether it is low or high beam.

The difference is during high beam, there is a flap that opens up to allow may light out of the projector

Thanks for taking the time to write your feedback, this is definitely helping me set up my expectations of the car.

Cheers
d.
Old 12-27-2004, 04:34 PM
Car Addict

Great post, you captured a lot of the pro's of the car in my opinion but I have a few comments:

I agree, but it makes the car weaker///- No folding rear seat
No way//- leather looks a bit cheap out and cheap - upscale cloth option would be nice
89 Would be better for the MW'rs//- 91 octane
black interior rocks, that's just your opinion LOL///- black interior is not as visually striking as the contrasting camel or parchment
You can adjust it higher//- seat belt difficult to grab hold of to put on
Not sure I agree///- 3 pass windhield mist - a single pass would do
turning radius is bad, perhaps that's because it's FWD
Old 12-28-2004, 05:59 AM
'04 6mt Pearl

Thank you all for the great comments.

First off let me say I forgot one line on my original post to this thread. That would be that it IS a subjective analysis. I am sorry if I offend anyone. I know we all love our cars especially after investing mega hours cleaning, washing, babying and modding. I haven't invested that many hours in the TL just yet. I am very critical of machinery and our interface with it.

Regarding turning circle, I thought I had mentioned it as a PRO not a CON so I'm quite happy with it as is. Must be harder on CVs with narrow turn circle.

Agree that the rear seat is a stressed member and adds strength. Too bad though a folding seat's kindof like a sunroof..once you've had one there's no going back. (IMHO)

Re: the Bi-xenons life span. I am likely misinformed on this one. I forsee a problem with burned out bulbs that leave half the car unlit in both high and low beam settings 2/4 lights burned out. If you have two bulbs per side, one usually fails long before the other leaving you with 3/4 lights working and less to worry about.

I have digital horns I want to install but if the stock horns are so loud inside the interior then the digitals will scare the sock off everone in my car. The digital horns sound like a train (just a bit quieter).

Seatbelt height in max position and still difficult to grasp. I may end up with one of those foam pads for this reason but dont want to go too tacky.

Lack of colors.. In Canada this is true. The Acura lines RL, TL and TSX all look the same. No red at all in '05 for those models. There seems to be a lack of pizzaz color wise. Too bad the TL and TSX have similar whites. (IMO)

If you local we can chat. Email me at upgradez at hotmail,com
Old 12-28-2004, 08:51 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by triggle
Re: the Bi-xenons life span. I am likely misinformed on this one. I forsee a problem with burned out bulbs that leave half the car unlit in both high and low beam settings 2/4 lights burned out. If you have two bulbs per side, one usually fails long before the other leaving you with 3/4 lights working and less to worry about.

your bi-xenons will most likely outlive the life of the car.
IF your bi-xenons were to blow, you at least have your DRL(Canada)/Fogs(USA) to get you by while you work on getting it replaced.

if anything, Bi-xenons should be a Pro, very rare feature and a great one at that
Old 12-28-2004, 10:47 AM
Car Addict

I would also prefer 89 octane and a fold down rear seat but I like the car so much that I can overlook those things.
Old 12-28-2004, 01:59 PM
'04 6mt Pearl

I'd sacrifice 30Hp for using regular. But as it is it can ping using 91.

Ditto on the seat.
Old 12-28-2004, 02:01 PM
'04 6mt Pearl

Thankls for the news on the B-xenons. I hope they are covered under warranty just in case.
Old 12-28-2004, 02:17 PM
'04 6mt Pearl

Jwhite1301 - Would you please do a quick test for me.

With your computer set to TRIP COMPUTER, displaying data for Fuel Consumption, Drive Distance, Elapsed time, remove ignition key, re-insert key and restart the car. Does it then display the same data screen with all the numbers or does it display the words "TRIP COMPUTER" ?

I'm going to try reprogramming my keyfob to see if that can do it. Fingers crossed.
Old 12-30-2004, 01:45 PM
Cruisin'

Triggle, would you mind letting me know what dealership you dealt with and who your salesperson was? I am thinking of purchasing either a 2004 or 2005 TL 6 speed manual or automatic. Thanks for any information you can offer.