Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problems corrected for '08?? Considering the TL

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 09:33 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problems corrected for '08?? Considering the TL

Hello, I am again looking around for a new car to replace one that I am afraid to own out of warranty. (2006 Volkswagen GLI) My VW is the first year for the turbo engine, and it's been in and out of the shop for a lot of little things. Long term ownership due to common major problems make me nervous!

When I was considering the TL before, there were a few common problems:

* Dash fading issue
* Engine "droning" noise / vibration while driving on the highway
* Auto trans was a little iffy
* Interior rattles

Have any of these problems been resolved in the '08 cars (TL Auto, not TL-S)?? I'm really serious about reliability, quality and longevity this go around... Am I better off with the IS250?

Thanks for responses!
Old 02-28-2008, 11:41 PM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Personally, I'd choose the TL-S (DEFINITELY) over the IS250 anyday. The IS's ugly...and it's weak performance wise and the interior's bland and simple. The TL-S' got the curves and all! Reliability wise, I'm not quite too sure. Reliability wise, I'd have to say that both are very dependable. It just depends on which one you prefer to go with: the beautiful or the ugly! hahaha GOOD LUCK.

Dash issue hasn't been a problem for most
Engine droning is fine (fixed via the dealership I believe)
Auto transmissions are holdin' strong
...HOWEVER there are of course those isolated issues...

Before you purchased, just take it for a test drive on a bumpy road...hop on the freeway, etc etc.
Old 02-29-2008, 06:55 AM
Instructor

Just bought an '08 TL 4 weeks ago. None of those issues mentioned are present. Of course it might be too early to tell.......
Old 02-29-2008, 07:07 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Actually, most of the problems that you read about on this forum happens to a small percentage of owners overall.
I put 144k on my '01 CL-S, 60k on my '05 TL 6MT, and 16k on my '07 TL-S.

The tranny was failing as I traded my '01. It still lasted 144k. Never experienced any other problems. Not even a light bulb replacement.
The '05 had no problems except for a notchy 3rd gear. No rattles.
My '07 is about as perfect as you can buy....period.
The IS is substantially smaller than the TL. Forget about a rear seat
Do I need to tell you what choice I would make again?

'07 TL-S 5AT CBP/Taupe
K&N Typhoon intake
Michelin Pilot A/S's
Progress 24mm RSB
P2R throttle body spacer/gaskets
Braille battery
Weathertech floor liners
Old 02-29-2008, 08:05 AM
Instructor

I have had my 06 TL for almost 2 years and have had "Zero" issues. The TL is a very high quality car so issues are rare. But still issues occur no matter how good the car is but for the TL they are rare. What your reading are the rare issues and most likely older TL's. As an ex-mechanic/Service Manager and now owner I would not be nervous about the TL. The TL is definitely a different animal that a Volkswagen GLI. Test drive the car and you will see what I mean!!
Old 02-29-2008, 08:10 AM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
if your considering a lexus is, then you would have to consider the 350 as the 250 is not even in the same field as the tl...performance wise that is...if you looking at an is250 then go look at the tsx because they have the same performance...
Old 02-29-2008, 08:48 AM
10th Gear

Thanks for replies! It is true, the TL has a performance and size advantage. Also, I think the Acura dealers will deal a lot more on the TL than on the IS... The IS350 and the TL-S, I think, are outside my price range.

Quality is the main concern... I want to be more careful with my purchase this time around to ensure the ownership experience is a good one. I've compared the IS250 vs. TSX and while they have the same horsepower, I would prefer the smoothness of a V6 and RWD.

The TL however, is a contender for the price.
Old 03-02-2008, 02:17 AM
Advanced

I had the dash fading issue. It's not really fading. It is more like dry skin. I used some Maguiers Gold Class leather cleaner on it and it made it look brand new again.
Old 03-02-2008, 03:22 PM
Race Director

Keep in mind going to forums is not a good way to get an idea of how cars hold up. People come on to complain about there issue so they can find a way to fix it however most people dont come on and say "this part has been working great for awhile." Go over to clublexus and you will find the same thing. Now does that mean I think the IS350 is horrible? absoutely not its just a few people had problems. If you want a true preception of how they hold up ask a random person on the streets or pick up a copy of consumer reports.

Also as far as the tranny the 08s are fine and they have been fine for years so you should be good and if you do get a rattle or two its nothing that cant be fixed. The majority of members here love there TL and you will too (assuming you get one).
Old 03-02-2008, 03:23 PM
Acuras Only in

Originally Posted by thisguymo
I had the dash fading issue. It's not really fading. It is more like dry skin. I used some Maguiers Gold Class leather cleaner on it and it made it look brand new again.
LOL ! Just like we are all getting old ...

To the OP: why say type-s is out of your range when it's only 2k to 3k more than a base TL ? Test drive both cars to see if it's worth the $ diff....

Goos luck !
Old 03-02-2008, 04:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 930 Likes on 612 Posts
I own an '06 6MT non nav with 43K that I bought about 6 weeks ago. It does have a droopy headliner (thought that was just an 04 issue) and a very, very minor buzzing from the driver side door, both of which I'll make an appointment to get fixed. Other than that, I'm very happy with it. The leather has the obligatory side bolster creases, but so what? So does my expensive living room furniture after several years. No other visible wear with the dash or anything. I can't wait to ditch the shitty Turanzas next Fall though!
Old 03-02-2008, 04:27 PM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by hades281
Hello, I am again looking around for a new car to replace one that I am afraid to own out of warranty. (2006 Volkswagen GLI) My VW is the first year for the turbo engine, and it's been in and out of the shop for a lot of little things. Long term ownership due to common major problems make me nervous!

* Dash fading issue
* Interior rattles

Have any of these problems been resolved in the '08 cars (TL Auto, not TL-S)?? I'm really serious about reliability, quality and longevity this go around... Am I better off with the IS250?

Thanks for responses!
An extended warranty for the VW would be allot cheaper.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts
I just traded in an 04 non-nav on an 08 with nav. While the 04 had some rattles, a little dash fade, could have used better stock tires than the Bridgestones and needed the HFL unit replaced, I consider all but the latter minor annoyances. So far the 08 is perfect and with Michelins to boot. I leased another one because I loved the first one so much and I got the new one at the same payment. No worries with the TL's quality - buy and enjoy!
Old 03-03-2008, 02:09 PM
Race Director

Received 275 Likes on 159 Posts
rattles, the eFFen rattles, there were none when I got the car in December, now i want to bang my head against the steering wheel...I cant drive without the radio on...to Acura Corp. F U!
Old 03-03-2008, 02:23 PM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by TeknoKing
rattles, the eFFen rattles, there were none when I got the car in December, now i want to bang my head against the steering wheel...I cant drive without the radio on...to Acura Corp. F U!
cars rattle period...some worse than others....and the people who think their cars dont rattle, cant hear....
Old 03-03-2008, 02:50 PM
Advanced

I got an '08 Type S and it has been a problem with the rattle and alignment. The car pulled left and it took the dealer 2 tries before it was corrected. When I test drove the car before my purchase, the rattle was not present maybe due to the fact that a test drive is typically short. The first day I took it to work, I had this annoying rattle from the left side of the dash. The dealer replaced different trim pieces on the dash, door panel, pillars, etc. and after 5 visits (including two ride alongs with their technician), I think they finally fixed it (knock on wood).
Old 03-03-2008, 02:58 PM
2010 CBP SH-AWD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have an 08 TL-S and have had no problems. There are a few rattles in the area by the cup holders/parking brake, but only when I'm going 25 over a bumpy road, on the freeway I don't hear a thing, and I'm pretty anal about wind noise and rattles, I'm perfectly satisified so far.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:20 PM
GO DAWGS!! SICK'EM!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
wait for 2009 TL where it should be available by the end of the year
Old 03-03-2008, 09:58 PM
My username is lame

i have an 05tl not much problems, except lots of rattles everywhere and the known transmission problem. But i don't believe my tranny is broken. hopfully =]
Old 03-04-2008, 01:25 AM
Intermediate

Unhappy

If rattles annoy you, don't buy the car

My previous car was a 2006 Accord 4 dr 4 cyl AT, no rattles (at least major ones that you can audibly hear)

I just got an 08 TL base on Feb 1

There's the sub rattle when songs are playing at a certain low frequency

Then there's another rattle coming from the back that I can hear when it's cold outside with the volume up on 25

My car is at the dealership now for those two issues

Sometimes the steering wheel area will rattle a little

Sometimes I hear a little clicking coming from the driver's door as well

My loaner vehicle is an 08 TL base as well

Guess what?

Rattle from the left driver's side AC vent; if I applied pressure to the vent it would stop

And then a rattle from the passenger's side

So yeah, if you get a TL, you'll likely get various rattles of your own, and if you don't you're lucky.

I just wish, considering that this vehicle is in its 5th model year, that these issues would have been addressed by Honda/Acura already. Obviously not.

I got this TL for 3 years on a lease.

Next car is a Lexus or BMW.

I almost wish I would have kept my Accord

But, I will admit, the TL is loaded with features, and it's sexy as hell; I'll give it that at least. People seem to have a tendency to want to race you when you're on the road
Old 03-04-2008, 08:42 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
I went from an 06 Passat GLX to a 06 TL and as far as fit and finish the TL isn't close to the Passat nor is the leather. I don't know how the GLI compared to the Passat tho.

the turbo might have been the first year for the GLI but VW has had 1.8T and 2.0 T for a while.

Do I regret buying the TL.. No .. would I again .. Yes ..

As for rattles I have had the door one only and I fixed it easily.
Old 03-04-2008, 05:09 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by hades281

* Dash fading issue
* Interior rattles

Thanks for responses!
I test drove a IS250 and it is small and anemic. The base TL kills it, let alone the TL-S.

As for the "problems" I have had 04, 06, 07 TL and 08 TL-S. The 08 interior is pretty quiet (althouh my 06 was very quiet). The rare squak is still there I have fixed 2 others. The dash fade issue is still there and baffles me how they let this continue, but use the Honda cleaner every 2 months and it is fine. I don;t have any complaints abotu the auto tranny and I have never understood the engine drone, mine sounds fine. I love the ride, but am getting bored after 4 TL in 4 years. I am selling mine (not agressively) if the right deal falls in my lap. I still think the styling is killer and from what I have seen form 09 RL now and hints of 09 TL I dount they'll top ths styling for me.
Old 03-04-2008, 05:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by TL1999
wait for 2009 TL where it should be available by the end of the year
Not if he is concerned about rattles, Honda year 1 cars are poor interior builds, my 04 was a rattle trap squeaking haunted house on wheels.
Old 03-04-2008, 05:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 930 Likes on 612 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithL
Not if he is concerned about rattles, Honda year 1 cars are poor interior builds, my 04 was a rattle trap squeaking haunted house on wheels.
Thing is, they certainly know about the rattles so they'll likely ensure the 09 is rattle free. That said, first year designs almost always have their share of issues, so there will probably be other problems with the 09. I did own a first year (03) Accord and although they had a propensity to eat rotors and pads, I lucked out replacing just the rear pads during my three years of ownership. Build quality on my Accord was beyond stellar.