Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem with XM Radio Service

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2003, 04:02 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Problem with XM Radio Service

After having the car for a couple of weeks, I finally got around to attempting to activate the service. The website indicated that my radio ID was not in their system. So I called XM Radio and tried to get it activated over the phone. They could not find the ID on their system too. Then they tried to tell me that it could be a different number than what I read to them (that I misread it). So out to the car I go with them on the phone. It was exactly like I read to them. I was told the radio id for my car has not been entered into the system yet and they completed a trouble report. They also said the manufacturer is responsible for entering the IDs into their system.

Anyone else have this problem?
Old 11-20-2003, 04:05 PM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No, but if they do not recognize that number and your service and would not bother them again. Maybe it will stay activated!
Old 11-20-2003, 04:09 PM
Racer

Originally posted by Eiffel
No, but if they do not recognize that number and your service and would not bother them again. Maybe it will stay activated!
That's the problem. It won't be activated.........
Old 11-20-2003, 04:14 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Eiffel
I am trying to understand what you are talking about and not having any luck. Please re-read what you wrote and phrase it differently. Thank you.
Old 11-20-2003, 04:33 PM
Instructor

My dealer did all of the initial registrations while I was picking up the car. Of course I still have to call XM after the 90 days to arrange billing for the future. Sounds like the dealer did not do their piece properly.
Old 11-20-2003, 05:06 PM
BOOK EM

The dealer should have properly activated your XM. Hate to say this, but "bring it back to the dealer".
Old 11-20-2003, 05:51 PM
Advanced

Dealer activated mine - did everything but set the presets for me. I would say that something that complicated should be part of delivery process. Back to the dealer..................
Old 11-20-2003, 05:54 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
Dealer registered me for the 3 month subscription while she went over every function of the car. It was set up while we were sitting in the car. It was fully operational on the drive home - took about 20 - 30 mins I think although they say wait an hour.
Old 11-20-2003, 05:57 PM
Pro

Mine was activated and ready when I picked my car up.

In 3 months after the free trial runs out, they said in the literature that they will send something that will allow the subscription to continue.

Sounds like a problem with the dealer... It seems the dealers have to activate these radios as they are sold....

Of course in 3 months I will keep it...

Mike
Old 11-20-2003, 06:59 PM
Intermediate

Lightbulb

I activated mine myself at the xmradio web site.

I'm sure you got your id right, but were there any O's or zeroes in the id? Mine had a zero - I got lucky and guessed right. O vs Ø
Old 11-20-2003, 07:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
XM service reps

Has anyone else had the wonderful experiences with the XM service reps ?? did you manage to get one who came close to speaking engrish ??? Jesus H. I was ready to just cancel the damn thing after hanging up 3 separate times cuz I could not understand the middle easterner on the phone, not one word.

And I got the run around, the # is not in the system.. "oh no sir, it's not activated yet".. "um, i'm listening to it right now".. line after line.. hang up.. call again.. another know-nothing.

FINALLY got an intelligent woman, knew instantly about the in-car, and how to activate it, and found my old account from when I previously had XM in my Accord and was done in 3 minutes. I praised her.

So much for outsourcing
Old 11-20-2003, 08:14 PM
Pro

Re: XM service reps

Originally posted by Sherlock
Has anyone else had the wonderful experiences with the XM service reps ?? did you manage to get one who came close to speaking engrish ??? Jesus H. I was ready to just cancel the damn thing after hanging up 3 separate times cuz I could not understand the middle easterner on the phone, not one word.

And I got the run around, the # is not in the system.. "oh no sir, it's not activated yet".. "um, i'm listening to it right now".. line after line.. hang up.. call again.. another know-nothing.

FINALLY got an intelligent woman, knew instantly about the in-car, and how to activate it, and found my old account from when I previously had XM in my Accord and was done in 3 minutes. I praised her.

So much for outsourcing
Every time I have talked to the XM service peopel they have been very helpful and I never had any kind of experience like you mentioned.

Mike
Old 11-20-2003, 08:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I activated my own radio and deactivated the one in my old TL at the same time, by phone. This is the first time I've heard of this problem, and I've been on XM for 1 1/2 trouble-free years. I never had to call customer service until I bought my TL and did what I mentioned above. This is an XM issue and they should have your radio number. I'd press on to a supervisor.
Old 11-20-2003, 08:34 PM
7th Gear

I had XM Activation Problem

OK, I know this sounds dumb, but I had the activation people telling me I was giving them an invalid numer, after about 10 minutes I looked at the number on navigation screen, not the little multifunction dislay on top of the dash - turns out S and 5 look nearly identical on the multifunction screen, but are discernable on the nav screen.

Check and see if you have any 5's (go fish) in the number. Are they really S's?
Old 11-21-2003, 08:05 AM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Hacksaw, guess I assumed it was initially activated from the dealer and that you were getting ready to start your billing process slightly ahead of time.

Hope you get it hooked-up soon.
Old 11-22-2003, 09:58 AM
Racer

My salesman told me that they were activating my XM as part of the delivery process, but apparently they didn't - I still get only the half-dozen demo channels.
Old 11-22-2003, 11:19 AM
Pro

Mine was perfect.... I guess some dealers are more responsive to things.

In fact, I jsut got a follow up call about service from someone at the dealership.

Mike
Old 11-22-2003, 11:26 AM
Chief TL Aviator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My salesman activated the XM Radio for me as part of the delivery process. Even got it setup correctly to work with my email account for online access! Made it very easy for me ...

Since XM Radio is a new feature, I'm betting each dealership sets their own policies in this area with regards to who / when / where in turns of activation.
Old 11-22-2003, 12:19 PM
Racer

Boy do I feel stupid. The first character is a "Z" instead of "8". It's so damm hard to tell the difference between the two unless you look at it closely. :wow:

Anyway, that should fix the problem but I'm not going to start billing until the three months are up. Thanks for all the input.