Pricing opinion

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2003 | 03:42 PM
Advanced

Pricing opinion

I don't plan on buying until the spring but I stopped by a dealership near Boston just to see the colors in person. I'd estimate that they had 10 to 20 TL's on the lot. I am now very optimistic about getting a good discount come spring. If this car was really that hot you wouldn't see that many hanging around a dealer lot waiting to be sold only a month after release.
Old 11-02-2003 | 04:19 PM
3rd Gear

At Open Road Acura in Wayne, NJ there is about 30 TL's on the lot (although only a couple w/Navi)
Old 11-02-2003 | 04:28 PM
6th Gear

That's the catch, "Only a Few With Navi".

I think 95% of 04 TL buyers are opting for, or waiting for the Navi. That's why there's so much invertory on the lot. There all non-Navi!
Old 11-02-2003 | 05:40 PM
Pro

you know i wouldn't count on the TL's price to drop...my friend purchased the MDX when it first came out and he had to pay above sticker and then a family friend just got a mdx like a few weeks ago, and he was only given like 500 off msrp...see the thing with acura is that it SELLS...there is sooooo much demand and little supply so it's pointless for them to go below msrp (unless you offer them a trade in or if you are just DAMN LUCKY!!! lol)...with a trade in they can alwyas make more money so they can give u a little off from the MSRP...but i wouldn't count on the price dropping...just my opinion...
Old 11-02-2003 | 06:10 PM
07 RL (non-tech)w/06 Nav

A Baltimore Paper had an add in it from Norris Acura West stating that they have over 70 TL's available....discounts will be here sooner than you know it.
Old 11-02-2003 | 06:19 PM
Racer

and dont forget theres no 6MTs sitting in any dealer lots!
including mine :-(
Old 11-02-2003 | 10:03 PM
Racer

RM44341
-- Go to Acura of Peabody. Acura of Boston hinted at lowering the price a little, but let me walk out the door. Peabody sold mine to me for a lot less than anyone else in Massachusetts would. Trust me and call them. (978) 532- 9110 . Ask for David Buchea or Joel Avery. Mine will be built in a week and should arrive after Thanksgiving.
Old 11-02-2003 | 10:10 PM
Instructor

<< you know i wouldn't count on the TL's price to drop...my friend purchased the MDX when it first came out and he had to pay above sticker and then a family friend just got a mdx like a few weeks ago, and he was only given like 500 off msrp...see the thing with acura is that it SELLS...there is sooooo much demand and little supply so it's pointless for them to go below msrp (unless you offer them a trade in or if you are just DAMN LUCKY!!! lol)...with a trade in they can alwyas make more money so they can give u a little off from the MSRP...but i wouldn't count on the price dropping...just my opinion...
>>

It's all relative to where you live and that will determine pricing off msrp. Will you pay a little over invoice like you would with Accord? Probably not. For the 04 auto TL, you are probably going to get around $1500 off msrp come spring time. The MDX example you gave was a little different because when the MDX came out, there were very little competition until the last year or so. Acura was able to keep the price at msrp because of the demand.

The demand of the new TL is not going to be like that. Acura has done a great job putting themselves ahead of the game with the 04 TL but the differences between the TL and their competition is not that big of a gap. The 2nd generation TLs was a big leap so dealerships were able to sell it MSRP for a while. I don't believe it's the case for the current TL. I am seeing discount for the 04 TL already as it is true for the MDX. Let's be honest, there are competition out there and it's a good thing. MSRP is pure profit for the dealerships.
Old 11-03-2003 | 03:59 AM
Advanced

SLVR04TL6PD,

You tempt me! My wife's parents live about 1/2 mile from Acura of Peabody...We drive by it every time we go to visit. Maybe we should stop in!

What was your opinion of Acura of Boston? Have you done business with them before? I live about a mile from them, so they'd obviously be very convenient for me!
Old 11-03-2003 | 11:24 AM
Advanced

Originally posted by 1BADMDX
That's the catch, "Only a Few With Navi".

I think 95% of 04 TL buyers are opting for, or waiting for the Navi. That's why there's so much invertory on the lot. There all non-Navi!
Sorry, I don't buy that. Maybe 95% of the TL buyers in this forum might want the NAVI, but I'm willing to bet a lot of marketing and product planning effort was expended by Acura to figure out how best to fill demand.
Old 11-03-2003 | 11:57 AM
Instructor

<<That's the catch, "Only a Few With Navi". >>

That is how Acura wanted to roll out the 04 TL. I am no marketing expert but I agree with RM44341. Acura is working potential buyer to look at the TL. I was in the Acura dealership last friday and my salesman showed me the demo auto 04 TL they just got with NAV, bodykit and 18" rims. It's a $40K car after taxes tags.

Car enthusiast from this site don't mind spending the extra $2-$5K for a nicer looking car. $2000 is a big jump for your main stream consumer who is looking to spend low-mid $30K for a new Acura.
Old 11-03-2003 | 04:31 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by RM44341
Sorry, I don't buy that. Maybe 95% of the TL buyers in this forum might want the NAVI, but I'm willing to bet a lot of marketing and product planning effort was expended by Acura to figure out how best to fill demand.
I had a conversation with a salesman at Pleasanton Acura (in CA, Bay Area) this past Saturday, and he mentioned that most dealerships at least here in Northern California have screwed up because they assumed that the sales pattern of the new TLs will be the same as that of the previous year models. So when they had a chance to submit their orders for the allocation, they requested 35% of cars to be shipped with Navi, and 65% without. He told me later that it appears that Navi in the new TL is a winner and no one wants to have a car without one.

So now they have around 12 TLs without navi sitting on the lot, while all Navi models are pre-sold at least a month before they arrive. They have corrected their future orders since, but the Navi models are in short supply right now. He told me that things should get better in January timeframe.
Old 11-03-2003 | 04:54 PM
DNA
Instructor

If there are all these non-Nav's sitting around unsold, why aren't we reading from people getting great deals on these? I suspect a few of us might have been tempted to go non-Nav if there was an additional $2K discount in addition to immediate availability.