Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Premium vs Regular gas

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2021, 10:38 PM
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts
Premium vs Regular gas

I have a 2007 TL base edition. Can I put regular gas in the car, even though it says premium only? There's only two gas stations in my town and both are charging 50 cents more per gallon for premium than regular. Today it's at $4.49 and it cost me $61 to fill up.

I could basically save 5-6 bucks per fill-up. Will regular hurt the car?
Old 07-23-2021, 12:11 AM
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
The J series motor in the TLs is tuned for premium unleaded. The engine does have knock sensors to adjust to regular fuel, but you will reduce power output and get worse gas mileage.

$5 per fill up, assuming you get gas 4 times a month is only $240 a year. Is it really worth saving a few bucks a year and risk long term engine knocking?
The following users liked this post:
LeVeL (07-30-2021)
Old 07-23-2021, 12:21 AM
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiryuu
The J series motor in the TLs is tuned for premium unleaded. The engine does have knock sensors to adjust to regular fuel, but you will reduce power output and get worse gas mileage.

$5 per fill up, assuming you get gas 4 times a month is only $240 a year. Is it really worth saving a few bucks a year and risk long term engine knocking?
Well no, you're right. Paying a few bucks more at the pump is worth it to have peace of mind over engine problems.
Old 07-23-2021, 04:23 AM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
Originally Posted by xjokerz
Well no, you're right. Paying a few bucks more at the pump is worth it to have peace of mind over engine problems.
it's not engine problems that you'll encounter.

with regular fuel, the ECU retards timing which leads to poorer engine performance AND poorer fuel economy.
in the end; you're not saving money switching to regular.
Old 07-23-2021, 04:15 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
You also may be shortening the life of the engine by using regular. It says PREMIUM FUEL ONLY for a good reason --> the system was designed for premium fuel.
94Auto (07-29-2021)
Old 07-23-2021, 04:43 PM
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts
Great advice by your fellow contributors. That said there's another kicker to muddy the water, Tier 1 fuel. Most manufacturers of higher end autos strongly recommend Tier 1 fuel. You can Google several sites to learn about the stuff, but the short story is that the Tier 1 stuff has additional additives that are critical to proper and complete combustion. Many fouling issues can be traced to continued use of non Tier 1 fuel.

You don't have to go far to find someone who will claim that "All gasoline brands are the same. In fact it comes out of the same tank at the terminal." Almost correct, but also dead wrong. Yes the product in the tank is the same, and many companies draw product from it. This is because the product pushed up the line via Colonial, Buckeye, Wolverine pipeline systems, etc is raw gas meeting certain specs. However, that's only part of the story. At the loading rack, as the tanker is filled prior to delivery to the gas station, at that time the additives are spiked into the fuel delivery. If the tanker is headed to a Chevron station it will get Chevron's proprietary additive package, or ExxonMobil's or Marathon's. Off brands would get whatever generic package the Supplier is putting into their offering. Pretty much all Suppliers have a package, but only the certified Tier 1 Suppliers meet the full spec. These additive packages are uber expensive, and contribute to a large degree why the stuff that many of the Majors sell is more expensive than the off brands.

In my case I'll buy Tier 1 fuel every few fill ups. Its hard to quantify the cost vs benefits, but I can tell you that I've never had any engine wear problems.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jim2301:
LeVeL (07-30-2021), Scottwax (08-18-2021)
Old 07-23-2021, 05:13 PM
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts
If you wanted to put 87 in your car you should buy any V6 accord.. they all mostly run at 10:1 compression stock
the J32a3 and J35a8 found in the 3rd gen base model and type-s are considered high out, high compression V6 motors.. they run at 11:1 compression stock which is why the engineers that built the motor say 91+ is "required" and not "recommended"
like the others said, you might save 20 quarters at the pump each time but you're motor wont be running at it's full potential and you're MPG will suffer a little bit so you're not really saving as much as you think you would be since you'll be refilling slightly more often
The following 2 users liked this post by champaned_out:
TheSauceBoss (07-27-2021), vpasla1 (07-27-2021)
Old 07-27-2021, 09:59 AM
UA7_Unknown

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts
Don't know why I'm seeing all these threads now with people trying to use regular in a car designed to use premium only lol try a Civic
The following 2 users liked this post by Marsalis Simms:
94Auto (07-29-2021), DMZ (08-02-2021)
Old 07-27-2021, 06:59 PM
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
I run 87 most of the time, when it is hot I will sometimes add a bit of 93 to be safe. I have a hard time justifying 80-90c/gal more to put premium in a $4000 car with almost 215k on it. I'm banking on having lost enough compression over the years that the higher octane isn't as necessary, and should it be, the knock sensor preventing any damage. If I had a newer car I would probably put premium in it though, or 50/50 at least.
nist7 (08-03-2021)
Old 07-28-2021, 10:28 PM
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Marsalis Simms
Don't know why I'm seeing all these threads now with people trying to use regular in a car designed to use premium only lol try a Civic
Probably because of the rise in gas prices.. just paid $4.25/gallon for 91 in SoCal

Originally Posted by 056mt
I run 87 most of the time, when it is hot I will sometimes add a bit of 93 to be safe. I have a hard time justifying 80-90c/gal more to put premium in a $4000 car with almost 215k on it. I'm banking on having lost enough compression over the years that the higher octane isn't as necessary, and should it be, the knock sensor preventing any damage. If I had a newer car I would probably put premium in it though, or 50/50 at least.
In your case i can see how it makes sense.. if you suspect you've lost compression over time and you really dont care for the car that much then going with the cheaper option is reasonable
Old 07-29-2021, 08:38 AM
UA7_Unknown

Originally Posted by champaned_out
Probably because of the rise in gas prices.. just paid $4.25/gallon for 91 in SoCal
I mean I get it; it's 3.80 here and it sucks but is what it is. Part of owning a luxury oriented car.
Old 07-29-2021, 12:30 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

California gas prices have always been a rip-off, About $3.50/gal for premium here in New Jerzy.
Old 07-30-2021, 10:21 PM
Drifting

Received 601 Likes on 449 Posts
Originally Posted by champaned_out
Everyone acting like this is the first time gas has been over $4 a gallon....as well as the first time 87 vs 91 has been discussed on these boards.
Old 07-31-2021, 05:15 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jackass
Everyone acting like this is the first time gas has been over $4 a gallon....as well as the first time 87 vs 91 has been discussed on these boards.
Last time gas was $4/gal it was like 30 cents more for premium, now it's almost a dollar.
Old 07-31-2021, 08:02 AM
UA7_Unknown

Originally Posted by Jackass
Anyone who complains to me around where I live about putting premium in their TL, I refer them to Honda to trade in for a Civic.
The following 3 users liked this post by Marsalis Simms:
DMZ (08-05-2021), Jackass (07-31-2021), vpasla1 (07-31-2021)
Old 07-31-2021, 09:58 AM
Instructor

Thank your favorite govt entity. The folks in California are forking over ~ 85 cents/gal in taxes (State $0.6698 and Fed $0.183). The highest in the Nation. This is far more than what the Retailer or Manufacturer is clearing. The refineries have to buy the crude, refine it and get it to the Retailer. The Retailer pays for it, inventories the stuff and sells it. The Govts?? Well, they just collect the money. Think its bad now just wait. Even at these high taxes they are still considerably lower than what happens in Europe where they use taxation to dictate choices (think tobacco taxes in this country). Also the taxes are not enough to pay for the needed infrastructure repairs (bad planning, or misplaced priorities?). And to top it off the tax is only collected when gas or diesel fuel is purchased. As electric vehicles become more mainstream and replace combustion vehicles, the funds will become more depleted. Both electric and combustion vehicles use the same infrastructure (roads, bridges, tunnels, etc) but only combustion vehicles are paying the taxes. Will they figure out a way to tax electric vehicles (tolls, licenses, etc) or will they increase the taxes on fossil fuels to collect the shortfall... and hasten the shift to rlectric vehicles?

And CARB (California Air Resources Board) fuel specs add another layer of complexity that restricts the supply to mostly local sources in California (also impacts supplies into Nevada and Arizona). The relatively plentiful supplies ex USGC (US Gulf Coast) don't meet California specs, so any local refinery disruptions almost always result in spikes that ripple through the West Coast PADD. The good news is the CARB specs have really cleaned up the air in the LA basins, so there are benefits to the extra costs.

I'm not saying all of this is wrong. I am saying, though, understand WHY prices are what they are. When you select your auto, in a way you're also selecting and accepting the operating costs. If you don't want to pay for premium gas, then don't buy a car that requires the grade.
DMZ (08-01-2021)
Old 07-31-2021, 10:04 AM
Drifting

Received 601 Likes on 449 Posts
Last time gas was $4/gal it was like 30 cents more for premium, now it's almost a dollar.
Understood. I check around to see where the value point is...but for the most part....it is what it is. My TL took premium and I put premium in it for 13 years. My Volvo also takes premium and I will just take the price premium and deal with it. Around my parts (KCMO) premium is usually around a $.50 penalty unless it is ethanol free which sometimes jumps it up to $.75 or $.80 penalty.

I haven't seen the $.25-.30 penalty in a very very long time truthfully. Maybe for the 87 to 89 jump, but the 91 jump has been over $.50 for a long time around here.
Old 07-31-2021, 04:16 PM
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Holy shit balls and I thought gas price was crazy here.... It's like 2.80ish regular 3.30, 3.40$ for 93 in south Alabama... I used to wonder about this, didn't take me long to realize it's worth it for so many reasons to run 93... For the last several months I've used an octane booster from my local speed shop guy that fills my nitrous bottles sells to me that will give me 2 full 17gallon tanks of 100 octane per container if added to 93...my gas mileage when not using the spray is always around 20ish mpg and I'm not a conservative 6MT driver
Old 08-01-2021, 01:39 PM
Pro

Received 161 Likes on 118 Posts
$3.34 for 91 here in Springfield, MO
Old 08-01-2021, 02:30 PM
Drifting

Received 690 Likes on 372 Posts
Originally Posted by DMZ
You also may be shortening the life of the engine by using regular. It says PREMIUM FUEL ONLY for a good reason --> the system was designed for premium fuel.
It'll burn through regular like a fat kid drinking Kool aid 🤣🤣🤣
DMZ (08-05-2021)
Old 08-03-2021, 12:34 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,094 Likes on 749 Posts
Alright, at the risk of getting internet-massacred I'll confess that my 06 TL has been on 87 octane for like 95% of its life so far since I've bought it in 2014. It had 160k miles to start and now it has 262,000+ miles. It essentially has had basically about 100,000 miles at 87 octane for about 8 years now. Other than transmission rebuilt about 1.5 years ago....it has had 0 engine issues for me. TIming belt service done at around 200k miles.

Here's the thing, I am not recommending anyone do what I did. I am 100% agree with going with OEM recommendations in that the car is designed for 91. Is my engine shortened in life now? Maybe. But so far it's not skipped a beat and is heading towards the 300k mile mark steadily. Everyone has to choose for themselves and straying from the OEM recommendation is at your own risk. If my engine fails due to verifiable pre-detonation I'll be the first to stand up and say I'm the dumbass, don't do what I did.

(Obviously my TL-S gets 91 all the time....I ain't that stupid lol...before anyone asks....)

Now to give a bit of background....an interesting report from AAA a few years ago actually looked at octane "recommendation" vs "requirement." And in the owner's manuals, few cars may actually truly "require" premium....last time I checked the only Acura that actually has the required wording in its manual was the NSX (not sure about the newer models....such as the TLX-S and the RDX, etc. etc.) Clearly if you're buying a new model year 50k+ luxury car you should put in 91 and if Ihad a new gen car I'd definitely do 91. BUt that AAA report is interesting to read for its technical/scientific findings.

The 06 TLmanual from Acura states clearly 91 is what engine is designed for, and lower octaine can have knocking and lower performance...lower than 87 can lead to damage and Acura also states they recommend max of E10 (I see too many stations with up to E15 at the pump....smh....). Although I do not actually see the word "required"or "requirement" in the manual regarding octane level. Though I think the gas cap door does have a sticker that says something like "Premium Only" ?

But like another poster said....to me this car is now a beater and I've gotten so much use out of it alraedy....and with my wife and others driving it who are not car people they just put in 87 octane like most people do with regular cars and I don't nag them about it or really care. THe leather is torn in the back, the paint is shot, the repalcement windshield Igot few years ago already has rock chips in it and the top weather strip is peeling from the shitty job that whoever did the window replacement clearly didn't put in the time to do it right, it doesn't have blue tooth or adaptive cruise control or lane keep assist or keyless entry or remote start or built in android auto or apple carplay......my mom's Toyota Corolla is more of a "luxury" car than this 2006 Acura TL. But underneath it's got great bones and is dead reliable and gets from point A to point B without an issue so far. So to me it makes sense to just stick with 87 for my TL at this time. I do expect it to be needing another timing belt service once it hits 300k in about 2-3 years.

So in conclusion....yes the vast majority of people should follow OEM recommendations. No it's probably not worth it to save a few bucks a year when someone buys an entire luxury-platform car that's way more expensive than an economical platform. Is it wise for many people to follow what I do? Probably not. Am I just lucky? Maybe. Will I get to 300k miles without a hitch? I really hope so. Do anecdotal evidence exist that goes against established thoughts/recommendations? So far yes (as is in any areas of life). Should YOU put 87 octane in your TL? Only you can answer that question.

Last edited by nist7; 08-03-2021 at 12:42 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by nist7:
frankjnjr (08-07-2021), Jim2301 (08-03-2021)
Old 08-03-2021, 11:55 AM
Drifting

Received 844 Likes on 510 Posts
Old 08-03-2021, 12:06 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by nist7
Alright, at the risk of getting internet-massacred I'll confess that my 06 TL has been on 87 octane for like 95% of its life so far since I've bought it in 2014. It had 160k miles to start and now it has 262,000+ miles. It essentially has had basically about 100,000 miles at 87 octane for about 8 years now. Other than transmission rebuilt about 1.5 years ago....it has had 0 engine issues for me. TIming belt service done at around 200k miles.

Here's the thing, I am not recommending anyone do what I did. I am 100% agree with going with OEM recommendations in that the car is designed for 91. Is my engine shortened in life now? Maybe. But so far it's not skipped a beat and is heading towards the 300k mile mark steadily. Everyone has to choose for themselves and straying from the OEM recommendation is at your own risk. If my engine fails due to verifiable pre-detonation I'll be the first to stand up and say I'm the dumbass, don't do what I did.

(Obviously my TL-S gets 91 all the time....I ain't that stupid lol...before anyone asks....)

Now to give a bit of background....an interesting report from AAA a few years ago actually looked at octane "recommendation" vs "requirement." And in the owner's manuals, few cars may actually truly "require" premium....last time I checked the only Acura that actually has the required wording in its manual was the NSX (not sure about the newer models....such as the TLX-S and the RDX, etc. etc.) Clearly if you're buying a new model year 50k+ luxury car you should put in 91 and if Ihad a new gen car I'd definitely do 91. BUt that AAA report is interesting to read for its technical/scientific findings.

The 06 TLmanual from Acura states clearly 91 is what engine is designed for, and lower octaine can have knocking and lower performance...lower than 87 can lead to damage and Acura also states they recommend max of E10 (I see too many stations with up to E15 at the pump....smh....). Although I do not actually see the word "required"or "requirement" in the manual regarding octane level. Though I think the gas cap door does have a sticker that says something like "Premium Only" ?

But like another poster said....to me this car is now a beater and I've gotten so much use out of it alraedy....and with my wife and others driving it who are not car people they just put in 87 octane like most people do with regular cars and I don't nag them about it or really care. THe leather is torn in the back, the paint is shot, the repalcement windshield Igot few years ago already has rock chips in it and the top weather strip is peeling from the shitty job that whoever did the window replacement clearly didn't put in the time to do it right, it doesn't have blue tooth or adaptive cruise control or lane keep assist or keyless entry or remote start or built in android auto or apple carplay......my mom's Toyota Corolla is more of a "luxury" car than this 2006 Acura TL. But underneath it's got great bones and is dead reliable and gets from point A to point B without an issue so far. So to me it makes sense to just stick with 87 for my TL at this time. I do expect it to be needing another timing belt service once it hits 300k in about 2-3 years.

So in conclusion....yes the vast majority of people should follow OEM recommendations. No it's probably not worth it to save a few bucks a year when someone buys an entire luxury-platform car that's way more expensive than an economical platform. Is it wise for many people to follow what I do? Probably not. Am I just lucky? Maybe. Will I get to 300k miles without a hitch? I really hope so. Do anecdotal evidence exist that goes against established thoughts/recommendations? So far yes (as is in any areas of life). Should YOU put 87 octane in your TL? Only you can answer that question.
That's pretty much where I'm at. It's not I don't care about the car (I'm religious about maintenance), it's I think premium isn't as necessary as people make it out to be, especially on a high mileage engine. In that 100k miles you saved over $3000 with regular, even if your engine blows up today, you saved enough money to pay someone to put a lower mileage engine in your car.
The following 2 users liked this post by 056mt:
Jim2301 (08-03-2021), nist7 (08-05-2021)
Old 08-05-2021, 10:56 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

That's pretty much where I'm at. It's not I don't care about the car (I'm religious about maintenance), it's I think premium isn't as necessary as people make it out to be, especially on a high mileage engine. In that 100k miles you saved over $3000 with regular, even if your engine blows up today, you saved enough money to pay someone to put a lower mileage engine in your car.
On a high mileage engine originally designed exclusively for premium, premium gas is actually even more important to maintain it's life and keep it running properly. Obviously, you don't give that much of a shit about your car, so it doesn't matter what anyone here says.
Old 08-05-2021, 11:54 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by DMZ
On a high mileage engine originally designed exclusively for premium, premium gas is actually even more important to maintain it's life and keep it running properly. Obviously, you don't give that much of a shit about your car, so it doesn't matter what anyone here says.

How does higher mileage make it more important? Last I checked, higher octane is required for higher compression engines, and engines generally lose compression as they rack up miles. Of course 93 octane would be ideal over 87 new or old, but that's not what I'm arguing.
Old 08-06-2021, 07:49 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

How does higher mileage make it more important? Last I checked, higher octane is required for higher compression engines, and engines generally lose compression as they rack up miles. Of course 93 octane would be ideal over 87 new or old, but that's not what I'm arguing.
The real bottom line here is you may be shortening the life of the engine by running 87.

Last edited by DMZ; 08-06-2021 at 07:52 AM.
Jim2301 (08-07-2021)
Old 08-06-2021, 01:18 PM
Cruisin'

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm sure its been said here, but only put in premium. I've asked people what they put in and the majority of them said 93/91. You bought a luxury car that comes with luxury expenses. Such as premium fuel. I really do understand the struggle of paying an extra 50 cents a gallon. It really does make you wonder if its worth it. It is. But if you enjoy or rely on the car. Put in the correct fuel. It says required for a reason.

Take care of your car and it will take care of you.
DMZ (08-07-2021)
Old 08-07-2021, 02:19 AM
Race Director

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,347 Posts
Been running 87 in my 04 6MT for well over 200K miles now. Over 350K miles on it now, no issues. No decrease in mileage. I even ran full throttle runs with Torque diagnostic app and saw zero timing pull (granted, this was at ~70F), Engine still runs like a top, burns less than a quart of oil with a 7500 mile OIC.

I love all of these comments from people who've never tried running 87 long term.... Bwahahaha!!!
The following 3 users liked this post by nfnsquared:
056mt (08-07-2021), ArdentWaffler (08-09-2021), nist7 (08-07-2021)
Old 08-07-2021, 09:46 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,844 Likes on 1,486 Posts
^

Whoa! Its Snake Plissken.
Old 08-07-2021, 11:27 AM
Instructor

If 87 octane (R+M) works for you, that's great. This especially true for those of you who have uber high mileage cars.

Kudos to NIST7 who actually took the time to do some research and put some thought into his comments. There maybe more reports out there but I'm only aware of two AAA relatively recent studies re the 87 vs 91/93 (R+M) issue. One study looked at cars designed to run on 87and, asked whether or not it made sense, performance/benefit-wise, to run higher octanes. The conclusion (as has been the case for almost every study on this topic) is "No, there are very few measurable benefits, if any to use a higher grade than recommended." This study isn't applicable, because Acura doesn't recommend 87.

The second study asked if cars that were "recommended" to run on 91/93 could run OK on 87. The conclusion was "Yes, a but a car designed to run on 91 will show performance/mileage benefits vs running 87." BUT they went on to say that the price differential between 91/93 and 87 negates much of the benefits on a cost/benefit basis. The info suggests that if you want top performance, reliability and mileage then stick with 91/93. However, if you're on a budget, drive a higher mileage car, and/or don't care about getting that last 1/10 out of you car then 87 should work fine in most conditions.

You might ask then "Why does Acura recommend 91/93?" Aside from the fact they they position their products towards the upper-medium range of the market... those who may value performance over, say, cost of fuel, there is another less obvious reason... CAFE (Corporate Average Fuel Economy). All automakers struggle to meet the mandated CAFE targets. this is why (like it or not) we see idle-stop, VCM, and other "features". Recommending 91/93 fuel allows the automaker to use the grade in their certification tests for the specific brand/model/engine. We know that 91/93 will allow the manufacturer to tune the engine for higher performance and a bit better mileage at that level, so it helps on the CAFE side as well. The missing piece as far as CAFE goes is that it doesn't directly consider the cost differential (87 vs 91/93).

So if you want top performance, reliability and mileage (and cost isn't a big driver), then use 91/93. Or, if you're on a budget, own a high mileage car, and/or don't drive to that last 1/10th of the car's capability then 87 should be fine. Just don't go below 87, and in both cases consider using Top Tier fuel if available in your market.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jim2301:
056mt (08-07-2021), DMZ (08-07-2021)
Old 08-09-2021, 09:57 PM
9th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Regular 87 or Premium 91+ for your 3rd gen TL? This is a good question. I have not seen many good answers posted. I have seen plenty of lore, myths and straight up ignorance.

You don't want to do anything bad to your car, and many fear even trying a tank of regular will damage their car.

I was in the same position, here is how I made my choice. First, I checked AcuraZine, but that didn't help much.
Long ago I had a 1986 Honda Civic CRX Si that required 92+ octane. 87,89 or even 91 wouldn't run right, it would sputter on a hard acceleration. So I know what the feeling of not enough octane is.

I noticed a 2019 Car and Driver test from Canada where they ran a few vehicles on regular (they did chicken out on the $130k BMW M5 and ran the twin turbo on 91 instead of the recommended 93). Every vehicle had less than 1 mpg difference between regular and premium.

I ran across an interesting article from way back in 2003. These are some of the highlights from that article in USA today.

"I personally use regular even though my owner's manual says you'll get better performance with premium," says Lewis Gibbs, consulting engineer and 45-year veteran at Chevron oil company. He's chairman of Technical Committee 7 on Fuels, part of the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) Fuels & Lubricants Council. Gibbs knows gas.
The main advantage of premium-grade gas is that it allows automakers to advertise a few more horsepower by designing and tuning engines to take advantage of premium's anti-knock properties. But auto engineers generally agree that if you use regular in a premium engine, the power loss is so slight, most drivers can't tell.

"I go back and forth, and I'm hard-pressed to notice" whether there's regular or premium in the tank, says Jeff Jetter, principal chemist at Honda Research and Development Americas. He drives an Acura designed for premium. Import brands, especially, use premium fuel to distinguish their upmarket models. Most Toyotas, for instance, are designed to run on regular or midgrade, while the automaker's Lexus luxury brand prefers premium. Same with Honda and its Acura luxury line.

Today's engines use highly evolved versions of a device called a knock sensor to adjust settings automatically for low-octane gas. And more engine control computers have adequate memory to allow separate sets of instructions for various octanes. The engine control computers keep pushing to maximize performance on whatever grade of fuel is used.

The only modern engines that should really need premium are those with superchargers, which force-feed fuel into the cylinders. "You're driving along and just tramp the gas and the knock sensor cannot sense the knock fast enough in some cases," because the supercharger boosts pressure so fast, says Bob Furey, chemist and fuels specialist at General Motors.

Burning regular when the owner's manual specifies premium won't void the warranty, nor damage the engine, even the most finicky automakers say. "You're giving up perhaps just a little bit of performance that a customer wouldn't really even notice, it's so slight," says Furey.

Automakers say they don't test premium engines on regular to check the difference, but some auto engineers estimate that power declines roughly 5%.
If the principal chemist at Honda Research and Development can't tell if he's running premium or regular in his personal Acura (designed to run on premium), then I think I'm safe running a few tanks to see for myself.

I trust the people above know more about this stuff than some internet talking head or barstool prophet. The knock sensors and computers have only advanced and gotten better since 2003. And Honda is now making turbo engines that run on regular to replace the (old) SOHC V6 ( I have a 3.2 TL and 3.0 Accord in my driveway).

I now run regular in my 3rd gen TL (6MT) all the time. Like Honda's principal chemist, I can't tell the difference, no change in mileage or power.

It's a free country, run what makes you happy, but don't be scared to try a tank and see for yourself.

FLAME AWAY haters
Jim2301 (08-17-2021)
Old 08-09-2021, 11:17 PM
Race Director

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,347 Posts
Originally Posted by ArdentWaffler
....FLAME AWAY TL owners who don't have a clue because they've never tried it themselves....
Fixed
Old 08-10-2021, 05:21 AM
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Regular 87 or Premium 91+ for your 3rd gen TL? This is a good question. I have not seen many good answers posted. I have seen plenty of lore, myths and straight up ignorance.

You don't want to do anything bad to your car, and many fear even trying a tank of regular will damage their car.

I was in the same position, here is how I made my choice. First, I checked AcuraZine, but that didn't help much.
Long ago I had a 1986 Honda Civic CRX Si that required 92+ octane. 87,89 or even 91 wouldn't run right, it would sputter on a hard acceleration. So I know what the feeling of not enough octane is.

I noticed a 2019 Car and Driver test from Canada where they ran a few vehicles on regular (they did chicken out on the $130k BMW M5 and ran the twin turbo on 91 instead of the recommended 93). Every vehicle had less than 1 mpg difference between regular and premium.

I ran across an interesting article from way back in 2003. These are some of the highlights from that article in USA today.

If the principal chemist at Honda Research and Development can't tell if he's running premium or regular in his personal Acura (designed to run on premium), then I think I'm safe running a few tanks to see for myself.

I trust the people above know more about this stuff than some internet talking head or barstool prophet. The knock sensors and computers have only advanced and gotten better since 2003. And Honda is now making turbo engines that run on regular to replace the (old) SOHC V6 ( I have a 3.2 TL and 3.0 Accord in my driveway).

I now run regular in my 3rd gen TL (6MT) all the time. Like Honda's principal chemist, I can't tell the difference, no change in mileage or power.

It's a free country, run what makes you happy, but don't be scared to try a tank and see for yourself.

FLAME AWAY haters
When I first bought mine I only put 87 in it because I didn't really know any better and 20$ was a full tank damn near at the time... it wasn't long before I wanted to use some Lucas injector cleaner and ran it out untill the light came on and fill it with 93...soon after I noticed I sometimes in gear I could just let the clutch out slowly with my foot off the gas completely without it feeling like it was trying to stall out or just shuddering/shaking, kinda how it feels when the engine stalls from starvation during fuel pressure relief procedure... Anyways when I used 93 it was like could let it out slowly and then not be touching clutch or gas pedal and the engine would just keep running smooth and car would keep moving forward in gear but it wouldn't do that on regular 87.... Long story short after I learned more about the car and octane and how things worked I ran 93 and always could tell my car ran better overall... after I started trying to make it quick I made my way up to 100 octane and Idc what anyone says or thinks I could actually feel that the car was significantly quicker and ran ALOT better. it was suprising how much it liked that stuff.. but you're totally right it's a free country anyone can do whatever TF they want 😉
Old 08-10-2021, 11:09 AM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Separates the well maintained, pristine TL's to the rollers dumpsters.
Marsalis Simms (08-12-2021)
Old 08-16-2021, 11:26 AM
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
acura has stated that there is no problem running regular in the TL.
you will just not get peak performance.
Old 08-16-2021, 07:38 PM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by djw88
I would love to see a dyno comparison for the Acura 3.2L engine on 87 vs 91.
I would bet a decent amount the difference would be less than the 12 HP loss I got when my car went from 270 all the way down to 258.

Hey djw88 have you got the official Acura proclamation somewhere so we can document and maybe sticky the GOOD information in this thread for future owners?
I can find this on a dealer website, but it doesn't look as good (and only mentions the newer TLX)....
According to the manufacturer, premium gas is required only for the Acura NSX. However, it is recommended for the MDX, RDX, TLX, RLX, and ILX for optimal performance. The answer to the question,” Do all Acuras require premium gas?” is no — but there are many reasons why a higher-octane fuel can benefit your Acura vehicle.
Old 08-16-2021, 07:47 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Originally Posted by djw88

YEAH, Okay.

Old 08-16-2021, 09:31 PM
9th Gear

OMG someone didn't use premium and the entire car disintegrated and only the fuel door survived? Wow, I'm sure glad you're here to show us the tragic results. I'm not believing anything written by Acura or anyone else after 2004.

Do you only use Acura branded oil AND filters from the dealer too? Boy, if I ever owned an ultra luxury Acura TL I'd be too frightened to try an oil change myself, better to let the dealer do that technical stuff. You know you could damage the engine (which I'm sure you tell yourself over and over and over).

It's a free country and you can do what you want; but I really doubt you could tell the difference between filling up with premium or just putting in regular and then taking out a five and lighting it on fire.

Could your "butt dyno" feel the 12 fewer horsepower in the later 3.2L models?

Old 08-17-2021, 08:18 AM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

OMG someone didn't use premium and the entire car disintegrated and only the fuel door survived? Wow, I'm sure glad you're here to show us the tragic results. I'm not believing anything written by Acura or anyone else after 2004.

Do you only use Acura branded oil AND filters from the dealer too? Boy, if I ever owned an ultra luxury Acura TL I'd be too frightened to try an oil change myself, better to let the dealer do that technical stuff. You know you could damage the engine (which I'm sure you tell yourself over and over and over).

It's a free country and you can do what you want; but I really doubt you could tell the difference between filling up with premium or just putting in regular and then taking out a five and lighting it on fire.

Who are you again? Oh nobody, just a jackass. Go back to where you came from.
Old 08-17-2021, 09:23 AM
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts
not sure why you keep bringing this up.. That change had to do with testing procedures, nothing actually changed with respect to the engine...

Quick Reply: Premium vs Regular gas