Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possibly lookin' into 3rd Gen TL-pls help :D

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 10:37 PM
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts
Possibly lookin' into 3rd Gen TL-pls help :D

Hey guys as the title says I'm lookin into a 3rd gen tl but I don't want to spend much so I'm obviously limited to 04/05 and a decent amount of miles..
I was lookin into trading my zdx for a 4th gen tl again but the price isn't workin out so therefore I'd rather use the money I had saved for a down payment to buy a used 3rd gen tl so could you guys help me figure out how many miles are decent because honestly Idk how long these cars last you guys would know better & also what are some known problems/issues to look into before purchasing one. Please help highly appreciate it thanks once again guys. Oh & one more thing could you guys give me a price range estimate of how much I could get my hands on a decent 3rd gen for? Thanks once again!
Old 01-30-2012, 11:26 PM
Early Shifter

Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts
If you're going for something with some miles I'd be sure to see documentation of the majorish 105K service being done.
Old 01-31-2012, 04:48 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 362 Likes on 241 Posts
I can't help you a lot regarding problems and issues mainly because I recently got my car but if you want numbers for 3rd gen TLs, I got an 07 Type S for $24,000. It had 28k miles when I drove it off the Acura dealership.

I don't know what your budget is exactly, but I hope this helps even a little bit. Good luck on your search!
The following users liked this post:
JD TL-S (01-31-2012)
Old 01-31-2012, 05:00 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
I was looking through the black market and there are some good deals on used 04/05 6MT TL's over there. For example, there is an 05 w/ 102k miles for a little over 10k with the 105k service already done. Not sure if the 6MT tranny is in your cards or not.
JD TL-S (01-31-2012)
Old 01-31-2012, 06:30 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by ohsixMTee
If you're going for something with some miles I'd be sure to see documentation of the majorish 105K service being done.
Originally Posted by DaeHanMeenGuk
I can't help you a lot regarding problems and issues mainly because I recently got my car but if you want numbers for 3rd gen TLs, I got an 07 Type S for $24,000. It had 28k miles when I drove it off the Acura dealership.

I don't know what your budget is exactly, but I hope this helps even a little bit. Good luck on your search!
Originally Posted by ggesq
I was looking through the black market and there are some good deals on used 04/05 6MT TL's over there. For example, there is an 05 w/ 102k miles for a little over 10k with the 105k service already done.
Not sure if the 6MT tranny is in your cards or not.
Thanks guys . I'm actually trying to do a cash buy so was hoping for something close to 10 or even less. & I'm looking or AT because it's technically my 2nd car so others would drive too
Old 01-31-2012, 06:43 AM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I just got a 05 WDP auto for $8400 with 172,000 miles on it. The miles are high but i am a trained tech so i wasnt worried about that one bit. Hope that helps.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:36 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by laziebun
I just got a 05 WDP auto for $8400 with 172,000 miles on it. The miles are high but i am a trained tech so i wasnt worried about that one bit. Hope that helps.
The price sounds good & since your a tech you can handle the miles lol congrats. Could you post pics , so I could get an idea of what condition that price range works with. Also since your a tech could you tell me what to look out for? I mean before buying anything I'm definitely going have one of my mechanics check it out but I'd like to know what to look out for since obviously not everything is on the carfax & nor do the owners usually like to mention the faults. Thanks in advance
Old 01-31-2012, 09:32 AM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
bought my 05 TL few months ago off Craigslist for $10,500 my husband talked him down from $14,000 with 102,000 miles on it.
Old 01-31-2012, 02:33 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by NYSoni
The price sounds good & since your a tech you can handle the miles lol congrats. Could you post pics , so I could get an idea of what condition that price range works with. Also since your a tech could you tell me what to look out for? I mean before buying anything I'm definitely going have one of my mechanics check it out but I'd like to know what to look out for since obviously not everything is on the carfax & nor do the owners usually like to mention the faults. Thanks in advance
First off this is how I do things, others might not agree but this is how I do it personally..

I get in turn the car turn it on and keep my eyes on the check engine light. Making sure it comes on and goes off. I known a few places and people who took the light bulb out, rather then fix the problem (repair cost down, revenue up). Go for a drive and feel how it drives, mainly paying attention to the transmission on how it shifts and how it downs shifts. You dont want nothing hard or jerking. Also pay attention for any slippage in gears. You can feel it or you can watch the RPM's, its hard to explain but, if the RPM goes up between shifts (gears) slightly then comes back down to meet the engine RPM then the clutch packs are slipping, which could be due to a lot of things. That's number one.

Number two is, I hit ever switch and electrical component in the car. Check all the windows, turn signal wipers, horns etc...everything! Electrical problems can sometimes be a bitch to trouble shoot.

Next I take a walk around the car. I know this may sound weird but i knock on all the panels listening for change in tone. That will indicate a repair which consist of bondo ( 6 years body shop myself).

After that I look in every jams for hard lines. This is kind of like a tape line that was left there from being painted and a bad prep job. Also look in the engine bay and trunk for seam seal that doesnt look factory. You might not be able to tell yourself but someone who knows or been in a body shop can tell really quick. Also look for over spray.

So now onto the engine. Of course check the the dip stick, smell it, should smell like oil and maybe a little engine. Make sure there isnt bubbles or milky residue. Pop open the oil cap and look inside, should be clean and free of anything nasty. If its isnt then I'd walk away, sign of an engine that wasnt cared for properly. Listen for knocks or anything that doesn't sound right. Put your hand on the valve cover while its running you should feel the engine and it should be a clean idle, around 800-1000 rpm's. Also look and make sure all the belts are on.

If you can jack the car up. Spin each wheel and listen for humming noise which indicate a bad wheel bearing. Also grab the wheel at 12 and 6 oclock and try to move it, should be very little movement. Also at 9 and 3 and do the same thing. Should all be nice and tight. If not then you have ball joints or tie rods going bad.

Alo call Acura main 800 number and try to track down where its been service and see what has been completed. I call for mine and the dealer confirmed that the previous owner did EVERYTHING, I asked them to read everything off to me.

I cant think of anything else off the top of my head. But good luck and let me know if you have any other questions.

my navi hack

came with all new tires

ggesq (01-31-2012)
Old 01-31-2012, 03:26 PM
Instructor

and for that spider man screen, my 3 year old picked that out.
Old 01-31-2012, 04:08 PM
Pro

First off this is how I do things, others might not agree but this is how I do it personally..

I get in turn the car turn it on and keep my eyes on the check engine light. Making sure it comes on and goes off. I known a few places and people who took the light bulb out, rather then fix the problem (repair cost down, revenue up). Go for a drive and feel how it drives, mainly paying attention to the transmission on how it shifts and how it downs shifts. You dont want nothing hard or jerking. Also pay attention for any slippage in gears. You can feel it or you can watch the RPM's, its hard to explain but, if the RPM goes up between shifts (gears) slightly then comes back down to meet the engine RPM then the clutch packs are slipping, which could be due to a lot of things. That's number one.

Number two is, I hit ever switch and electrical component in the car. Check all the windows, turn signal wipers, horns etc...everything! Electrical problems can sometimes be a bitch to trouble shoot.

Next I take a walk around the car. I know this may sound weird but i knock on all the panels listening for change in tone. That will indicate a repair which consist of bondo ( 6 years body shop myself).

After that I look in every jams for hard lines. This is kind of like a tape line that was left there from being painted and a bad prep job. Also look in the engine bay and trunk for seam seal that doesnt look factory. You might not be able to tell yourself but someone who knows or been in a body shop can tell really quick. Also look for over spray.

So now onto the engine. Of course check the the dip stick, smell it, should smell like oil and maybe a little engine. Make sure there isnt bubbles or milky residue. Pop open the oil cap and look inside, should be clean and free of anything nasty. If its isnt then I'd walk away, sign of an engine that wasnt cared for properly. Listen for knocks or anything that doesn't sound right. Put your hand on the valve cover while its running you should feel the engine and it should be a clean idle, around 800-1000 rpm's. Also look and make sure all the belts are on.

If you can jack the car up. Spin each wheel and listen for humming noise which indicate a bad wheel bearing. Also grab the wheel at 12 and 6 oclock and try to move it, should be very little movement. Also at 9 and 3 and do the same thing. Should all be nice and tight. If not then you have ball joints or tie rods going bad.

Alo call Acura main 800 number and try to track down where its been service and see what has been completed. I call for mine and the dealer confirmed that the previous owner did EVERYTHING, I asked them to read everything off to me.

I cant think of anything else off the top of my head. But good luck and let me know if you have any other questions.

my navi hack

came with all new tires

Damn man thanks for taking out the time to explain everything, I kinda got into sales especially for Acura so I can tell if the car's been through any major auto body work & engine noises and stuff like that but somethings I just miss but thanks you explained everything perfectly. & I was going to take it to a mechanic for all the hidden stuff like ball joints and under the hood gear but I can't find anything decent that hasn't been smashed up lol.. Im trying craigslist, cars.com, black market and even local dealers can't really come across anything thats bang for the buck.. A dealer was ready to sell me a 07 with 80k base for 15900 but the car was hit in the back because the paint of the bumper doesn't match. Do you think its a decent deal? & sorry to take up so much of your time
Old 01-31-2012, 05:45 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by NYSoni
Damn man thanks for taking out the time to explain everything, I kinda got into sales especially for Acura so I can tell if the car's been through any major auto body work & engine noises and stuff like that but somethings I just miss but thanks you explained everything perfectly. & I was going to take it to a mechanic for all the hidden stuff like ball joints and under the hood gear but I can't find anything decent that hasn't been smashed up lol.. Im trying craigslist, cars.com, black market and even local dealers can't really come across anything thats bang for the buck.. A dealer was ready to sell me a 07 with 80k base for 15900 but the car was hit in the back because the paint of the bumper doesn't match. Do you think its a decent deal? & sorry to take up so much of your time
Not a problem.

The deal depends on you, i usually go on NADA and check the value there. How bad was it hit? If it were me and it was just a rear bumper and NOTHING else I wouldnt have a problem buying it. But on the contrary you can always find a better deal.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:34 PM
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by DaeHanMeenGuk

i'd LOVEEEEE TO find one like that. especially at a acura dealership. i am in the market for a third gen type s with prices in the early 20's. dang it
Old 01-31-2012, 07:13 PM
Pro

Not a problem.

The deal depends on you, i usually go on NADA and check the value there. How bad was it hit? If it were me and it was just a rear bumper and NOTHING else I wouldnt have a problem buying it. But on the contrary you can always find a better deal.
I have no real problem with it just being rear damage its just its a damn base 07 with 80k and I tried to get it for 13 but guy wasn't too crazy about that deal so I walked away.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:45 PM
Instructor

Does it have Navi?

Well if you dont want base model the next step is Type S.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:49 PM
-Brandon

Received 221 Likes on 172 Posts
Just shop around. Try using CarMax. If you have one locally or near your they are a great place to shop. If you see a car your like that is at a CarMax in another state, you can have them ship you the car. We bought our TL and RX at CarMax and will surely do business with them again.

Here are their TL Type-S's for sale:
Old 01-31-2012, 10:00 PM
Pro

Does it have Navi?

Well if you dont want base model the next step is Type S.
It was a base non navi. I'd prefer to pay 15-16 for a navi if its coming with those miles.

Originally Posted by brandongoldman
Just shop around. Try using CarMax. If you have one locally or near your they are a great place to shop. If you see a car your like that is at a CarMax in another state, you can have them ship you the car. We bought our TL and RX at CarMax and will surely do business with them again.

Here are their TL Type-S's for sale:
Thanks man definitely will look into it appreciate the help