Possibly Getting 04 TL

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2004 | 07:27 PM
Racer

Possibly Getting 04 TL

Well...I totalled my car about 2 days ago and nearly died due to an idiot driver...I was driving a 93 Legend and luckily there was a witness there to identify it wasn't my fault...maybe I will go into the details of that later.

I have some questions about the 04 TL and if you could help that would be great haha

Ok first How are the safety features of the TL because I'm pretty scared to drive now...near death experiences in a car really shake you up.

Secondly, should I get MT or AT? I'm a young driver and am not that good at shifting yet and because Acura already has poor Transmissions I'm thinking no.

As for performance mods and competition with other cars...how does it rank?

I'm really into car audio and haven't really looked up how the 04 TL works...I'm thinking if I go to the dealership asking for no audio parts and just setting up an entire aftermarket system by myself because I don't want the hassle of re-wiring if 04 TLs worked similarly to that of the 93 legend Bose system

Thanks much
Old 08-16-2004 | 07:33 PM
You touch my tra la la...

The Manual trannies on Acuras don't have problems I hear. I thought it was EARLIER gen Autos that were dieing?

Safety features are great. You have anti-lock brakes, VSC (vehicle stability assist), side airbags, curtain airbags, etc. etc. The 6MT also comes with LSD (limited slip differential).

Performance mods, right now you're looking at CAI, springs/suspension, sways, wheels (some custom wheels made for our car), supposedly there is an ECU flash, and thats about it. Comptech is developing an exhaust but the tips are round unfortunately. They're also developing sport brakes and a Supercharger that will most likely be much better on a 6MT.

I have a 5AT, and I regret the choice... I really wish I got a 6MT.

Anyway, with audio, it comes equipped with an industry first, 5.1 surround sound designed by Elliot Schiner (ELS). It sounds great, although the loudest volume isn't what you would expect. Don't get me wrong, its very loud, but you'd expect it to be louder (although you probably wouldn't use it).
Old 08-16-2004 | 07:50 PM
Racer

I'm just sad about my legend...so much down the drain...at least not much mods were done. So as for car audio any car audio heads done the job on it?

I want to run 2 12s 1000 watts Phoenix Gold
Titanium Elite Series PG Amp 1250 Watt

Or do I have to go through the full step process of replacing the entire speaker system? i want good reliability and longevity.

as for the transmission im just worried about my noobie driving messing up the transmission...but I really do wanna MT...especially if I'm gonna be modding it...because mods w/ AT = weak
Old 08-16-2004 | 07:56 PM
EnJ
Anti-Acura TL

You must be coming into some settlement money or something because when I was 17 I contemplated getting a $35,000 car but only in my daydreams. In reality I was driving around in my mom's '89 Civic. If that's the case and you are coming into settlement money I'd advise you to look at something else and save that money for college or a deposit on a house. Shit I could be rambling here and if I'm wrong I'm wrong (happens all the time) but the fact remains you're 17 years old and (I guess) have the means to purchase a TL. You should be doing something better with that money in my opinion.

p.s. welcome to the board!
Old 08-16-2004 | 08:06 PM
Racer

haha yeah the only reason I could get a TL is because I leave it here while I'm in college and I switchoff to no car when I'm in college so it's basically one of my parent's cars. I pay half the price anyways...

oh and btw i am not some punk ricer teenager if any of you are wondering haha
Old 08-16-2004 | 08:44 PM
You touch my tra la la...

Originally Posted by EnJ
You must be coming into some settlement money or something because when I was 17 I contemplated getting a $35,000 car but only in my daydreams. In reality I was driving around in my mom's '89 Civic. If that's the case and you are coming into settlement money I'd advise you to look at something else and save that money for college or a deposit on a house. Shit I could be rambling here and if I'm wrong I'm wrong (happens all the time) but the fact remains you're 17 years old and (I guess) have the means to purchase a TL. You should be doing something better with that money in my opinion.

p.s. welcome to the board!

I'm 17 and I drive a TL. Oh well. Paying for college isn't going to be an issue anyway. If it was, I probably wouldn't have gotten an expensive car. That being said, if its going to be an issue for him, I doubt he would spend that much on a car either.
Old 08-17-2004 | 01:21 AM
EnJ
Anti-Acura TL

Originally Posted by GaleForce
I'm 17 and I drive a TL. Oh well. Paying for college isn't going to be an issue anyway. If it was, I probably wouldn't have gotten an expensive car. That being said, if its going to be an issue for him, I doubt he would spend that much on a car either.
I was just trying to feel him out. He already stated he was going to college and would basically be splitting the cost of the car with his parents. That's fine, if he has the money and wants to do that then inevitably he's going to do what he wants. Personally, I'd take the money and buy a really good used car for let's say 17.5k and have a car full time at school, not just at home on college breaks. Like I said he'll do what he wants and that's fine, I just wouldn't go that route of buying a TL and not fully getting to experience owning one.
Old 08-18-2004 | 02:05 AM
Racer

meh doesn't matter. i just don't wanna bring it to college because it would be too much of a hassle. anywho i would have it for a full year and it would be my baby...no worries. when it comes to me it will be in good hands heh...btw im not your average 17 year old. im starting my 2nd business soon which is why i have the means to pay for half the car...
Old 09-05-2004 | 01:40 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by donkeykang
Well...I totalled my car about 2 days ago and nearly died due to an idiot driver...I was driving a 93 Legend and luckily there was a witness there to identify it wasn't my fault...maybe I will go into the details of that later.

I have some questions about the 04 TL and if you could help that would be great haha

Ok first How are the safety features of the TL because I'm pretty scared to drive now...near death experiences in a car really shake you up.

Secondly, should I get MT or AT? I'm a young driver and am not that good at shifting yet and because Acura already has poor Transmissions I'm thinking no.

As for performance mods and competition with other cars...how does it rank?

I'm really into car audio and haven't really looked up how the 04 TL works...I'm thinking if I go to the dealership asking for no audio parts and just setting up an entire aftermarket system by myself because I don't want the hassle of re-wiring if 04 TLs worked similarly to that of the 93 legend Bose system

Thanks much
Hi ..I drove several 04 TL's and did not like them ....If you can find a new 03 S type you will save money and have a better car ......BUT........I did upgrade my brakes and put on a Trin suspension plus a cat back exhaust ......I kike to stop and go around corners and the extra HP with the cat back is a welcome......