Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible auto to manual swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2022, 05:11 PM
I am dumb

Received 206 Likes on 166 Posts
Possible auto to manual swap

I was a bit hesitant on making this thread because responses seem to always be "sell the auto and buy a manual". It's cheaper and easier, sure. But my local junkyard has a rare gem right now. A 2004 Accord V6 with a 6 speed manual transmission. Me and my friend plan on pulling it this Saturday, if it hasn't been touched yet. Junkyard prices a transmission for only $100, and other bits and bobs are about $7-$10 bucks. I'm probably looking at $200 total for everything. It's a no brainer of a deal.

I'm not sure if I'll be swapping it in the TL though, but it's a win-win situation of I do or if I don't. If I do, I can pass most of the knowledge onto my CL when I inevitably convert it. If I don't, I can sell it and use the money to fund a manual transmission for my CL. The thing holding me back is that when I convert the CL, then my CL, my girl's CL, and then TL will all be manuals. Maybe not a problem to some, but what if me or my girl just want to cruise around in an automatic? The CL is my race car, TL is a daily driver that we can relax in. It'll be modded, but not nearly as much as the CL is. Either way, that transmission is coming out of the junkyard with me (I hope).

The junkyard has the cars sitting on makeshift stands using old wheels. One is standing up, the other lying on it's side, welded together. There's not enough room to pull the motor out from underneath, the transmission might. But I have no way to hold the motor in place to just drop the subframe and pull the transmission out. So out the top it'll be coming. I've already read what I need to do to make it possible; not too difficult it seems. Much easier than pulling a J35A3 out the top of an MDX I'd imagine.

I have been reading threads on the conversion, and have a parts list. I copy pasted this from another thread:
- tranny
- clutch
- flywheel
- flywheel bolts
- ecu
- engine harness
- engine to ecu harness
- master cylinder- slave cylinder- clutch lines
- clutch pedal
- brake pedal
- shift cables
- shift lever + accessories
- clutch reservoir
- tranny mounts
- Speedo cluster
- starter
However, most threads seem to be converting from a TL to a TL. So I'm wanting to know what all is compitable from the Accord to the TL?
- Is the ECU from the Accord able to be used on the TL? How about the gauge cluster and interior bits for the shifter? I know I can use the auto's cluster for the time being, but if I can use the Accord's, why not take it?
- The axles; there seems to be mixed messages. Can I use the auto's axles on the TL, or do I need the axles from the Accord? If they're not needed, is it possible to remove the transmission without disconnecting the axles from the wheel hub?
- Are the pedals compatible from the Accord onto the TL? Don't see why they wouldn't be, but just making sure.

I'll still be lurking threads and doing more research even after posting this, but any information from pulling out the transmission from the top to parts needed, to even posting threads, is greatly appreciated. If I do go through with the swap, I'll be using this thread has a progress/build thread, and if I successfully do it, it'll be open for anyone to ask questions to help out others.

Last edited by Thefireball; 05-18-2022 at 05:16 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Acura TL Builder (05-18-2022)
Old 05-18-2022, 05:20 PM
Safety Car

Received 856 Likes on 704 Posts
I like your mindset. "Even if I dont use these parts, Ill have the knowledge that I can pass onto my CL, A Win-Win".

I'm not sure about all the parts you need to make this conversion, but the "to-pull" list you currently have should get you most of the way there. make sure you also get the cluster, it may not fit, but they sell for more than the autos and you dont want the automatic column bar when you use a stick after the swap.

Get the metal chassis bracket that holds the top part of the clutch pedal, as the autos in the TL are missing this. It looks like a "V" and the clutch pedal connects to it with one bolt and the V connects tohe chassis via two 12mm bolts.

The manuals on the Acura TL have stiffer sway bars than those of the Autos. perhaps this is also true for the Accord.
Thefireball (05-18-2022)
Old 05-18-2022, 07:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,013 Likes on 1,432 Posts
Accord trans does not have an Limited slip diff so you are loosing a performance aspect there.

Can't use the interior bits such as gauge cluster and I believe shifter box, but you should get the ECU, immobilizer, engine and trans pedals and other bits are good to grab too. Any Honda parts are fairly good to have on hand so I'd take whatever you can grab!

I get what you are saying about the subframe and removal, I'd honestly use one of the large hoists that they have there with a few straps around the engine and trans mount areas. Take an impact to the subframe bolts and the rest and let the tension on the hoist. You should be able to wiggle it out the whole shebang from under the car bring a friend to help . LKQ by me is the same way with the wheels holding cars up.

remember, you can bring a sawzall with you and make some cuts/access areas in the body to make removal way easier. NO one is going to be salvaging a frame rail! I'd take off the fenders and then start chomping away with a sawzall to make it easy.

Last edited by csmeance; 05-18-2022 at 07:22 PM.
Thefireball (05-18-2022)
Old 05-18-2022, 07:18 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,013 Likes on 1,432 Posts
hoist example:

Old 05-18-2022, 07:54 PM
I am dumb

Originally Posted by csmeance
hoist example:
Me and my friends know all about those hoists. They just love to turn when going straight.
We could drop the engine and trans connected together , but trying to disconnecting it with it on the ground would be difficult. Then there's also the other aspect and of the hoist holding the trans/engine while being underneath it. God forbid the strap breaks, then I'm dead. Already had a strap break when pulling out the J35A3 last time. Wasn't too bad, and it's kicking ass in my CL currently. I'll take my chances with the pulling it out the top.

Though, now that I think about it, I guess I'm going to be underneath it anyways when I disconnect the subframe. I'll figure it out when I'm doing it.

Also not worried about the LSD. I care more so about that on the CL than the TL. I just want a manual damn it!
Old 05-18-2022, 07:59 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Thefireball
Me and my friends know all about those hoists. They just love to turn when going straight.
We could drop the engine and trans connected together , but trying to disconnecting it with it on the ground would be difficult. Then there's also the other aspect and of the hoist holding the trans/engine while being underneath it. God forbid the strap breaks, then I'm dead. Already had a strap break when pulling out the J35A3 last time. Wasn't too bad, and it's kicking ass in my CL currently. I'll take my chances with the pulling it out the top.

Though, now that I think about it, I guess I'm going to be underneath it anyways when I disconnect the subframe. I'll figure it out when I'm doing it.

Also not worried about the LSD. I care more so about that on the CL than the TL. I just want a manual damn it!
Hey we got those at the pick-n-pull!
Old 05-18-2022, 08:16 PM
I am dumb

Originally Posted by csmeance
Can't use the interior bits such as gauge cluster and I believe shifter box, but you should get the ECU, immobilizer, engine and trans pedals and other bits are good to grab too. Any Honda parts are fairly good to have on hand so I'd take whatever you can grab!
Forgot to ask; are you saying the Accord ECU will work with the TL, or that I should just grab it in case of me selling it?

I'll go ahead and throw this out there since I won't be going until Saturday, but if y'all need anything from the yard, I don't mind taking a look if I have time.
Old 05-18-2022, 08:39 PM
Safety Car

Just seached Pick n pull in nashville and there arnt any TLs
Old 05-18-2022, 09:02 PM
I am dumb

Originally Posted by Acura TL Builder
Just seached Pick n pull in nashville and there arnt any TLs
Express pull n save in LaVergne is where I go to. There were 3 or 4 3G TLs last weekend. I pulled 2 field coils from two of them so I can fix the AC Compressor clutch not engaging. Already checked both fuses and jump the One under the hood; no go.
One of them also had 2 'borghini' wheels on them, but some one took them the next weekend I went. Funny name. No Type S cars though.

Also, if you're in my neck of the woods and see this post, please don't take the transmission before I can. I need this . But I could always use a hand if some one wants to come.
Old 05-18-2022, 09:17 PM
Safety Car

Express pull n save in LaVergne is where I go to. There were 3 or 4 3G TLs last weekend. I pulled 2 field coils from two of them so I can fix the AC Compressor clutch not engaging. Already checked both fuses and jump the One under the hood; no go.
One of them also had 2 'borghini' wheels on them, but some one took them the next weekend I went. Funny name. No Type S cars though.

Also, if you're in my neck of the woods and see this post, please don't take the transmission before I can. I need this . But I could always use a hand if some one wants to come.
Lol, I know the anxiety of hoping no one get the part before you do! Unless they are willing to put the effort you will, its probably going to still be there. Much like uncracked 3G dashes in the PNW.

Most of the time, I wont post something I'm looking to buy until after I bought it, just so no one snatches it from under me. If someone is bidding on an item on Ebay, I wait until 5 seconds to closing to begin bidding.
Thefireball (05-18-2022)
Old 05-18-2022, 09:29 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,839 Likes on 1,482 Posts
Lol, I know the anxiety of hoping no one get the part before you do! Unless they are willing to put the effort you will, its probably going to still be there. Much like uncracked 3G dashes in the PNW.
Acura TL Builder, I understand that you have many projects on your plate; however, if you are up to making a quick buck, perhaps the transmissions on these two CL-S6's are still 'harvestable' in your neck of the woods? These came up when I did a quick search for MT engines.

2003 Acura CL Engine Assembly-Stock# B140807 (car-part.com)

2003 Acura CL Engine Assembly-Stock# B90576 (car-part.com)

Old 05-18-2022, 09:36 PM
I am dumb

Originally Posted by zeta
Acura TL Builder, I understand that you have many projects on your plate; however, if you are up to making a quick buck, perhaps the transmissions on these two CL-S6's are still 'harvestable' in your neck of the woods? These came up when I did a quick search for MT engines.

2003 Acura CL Engine Assembly-Stock# B140807 (car-part.com)

2003 Acura CL Engine Assembly-Stock# B90576 (car-part.com)
Buy one and hold it for me until I have the cash to buy it off you, lol.
Acura TL Builder (05-18-2022)
Old 05-18-2022, 09:38 PM
Safety Car

Always looking to make extra money!

That first one needs to be saved and repaired! 90k miles and in immaculate condition! Second one may be more tricky to get to. what do these trannys usually run?

I did a quick search of ebay with no results(but you know how my searches go).

You werent kidding Zeta, these are literally up the street from me. Ill call them tomorrow to see if they are still available.

Last edited by Acura TL Builder; 05-18-2022 at 09:42 PM.
Thefireball (05-18-2022)
Old 05-18-2022, 09:43 PM
Suzuka Master

what do these trannys usually run?
Car.part.com reflects salvage retail between $1100-$2100.
Thefireball (05-18-2022)
Old 05-18-2022, 10:21 PM
Safety Car

I'll call and ask if they have them. I wonder what thier asking price will be. I suspect around $800
Old 05-18-2022, 10:26 PM
Safety Car

That first CL, not a rash on the wheel, not a wrinkle in the leather.
Old 05-18-2022, 10:32 PM
Safety Car

Mr.Zeta, how long has this posting been up? I only ask because this pic was taken in 7/14/2014. Perhaps its a stand-anone camera with the incorrrect date input?
Old 05-18-2022, 11:05 PM
I am dumb

Mr.Zeta, how long has this posting been up? I only ask because this pic was taken in 7/14/2014. Perhaps its a stand-anone camera with the incorrrect date input?
Even the totaled CLs are in better condition body & paint wise compared to mine. They did something to those 6 speeds, I swear the clear coat is more resilient on them.
Old 05-18-2022, 11:33 PM
Safety Car

Even the totaled CLs are in better condition body & paint wise compared to mine. They did something to those 6 speeds, I swear the clear coat is more resilient on them.
Lol, perhaps. It could also be the mild non-salt climate we have here.
Old 05-19-2022, 02:17 PM
Safety Car

@zeta
Called Gundies about those two cars. Both cars were in Bellingham, WA (6.5hours from me) and have both been crushed. They only still have the engines for both cars, Trannys both sold.
The following 2 users liked this post by Acura TL Builder:
Thefireball (05-19-2022), zeta (05-19-2022)
Old 05-19-2022, 03:04 PM
I am dumb

Speaking of transmissions, I wasn't aware the 6 speed in the non Type S 3G TLs would work in the CLs. Gives me more options to look at, but is there any differences in the gearing? I want all the power and speed I can get, so if the CL-S 6 Speed is better, I'll just stick to that.
Kind of tempted to put this accord trans in the CL though, but I do want that LSD.
Old 05-19-2022, 06:31 PM
Safety Car

I dont think there a differance between the gear ratios on the base model and type-S 6MT trannys, Though I also dont know your particular model very well.
Thefireball (05-19-2022)
Old 05-19-2022, 09:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Speaking of transmissions, I wasn't aware the 6 speed in the non Type S 3G TLs would work in the CLs. Gives me more options to look at, but is there any differences in the gearing? I want all the power and speed I can get, so if the CL-S 6 Speed is better, I'll just stick to that.
Kind of tempted to put this accord trans in the CL though, but I do want that LSD.
It will work; however, you'll just need to account for the additional crank sensor that is present on a true CL-S6 swap if you run the CL-S6 ECU.

06TLMT

03CLMT
Thefireball (05-19-2022)
Old 05-19-2022, 09:45 PM
Safety Car

So a 3Ger can run a CL tranny, just by not plugging in the sensor?
Old 05-19-2022, 09:49 PM
Suzuka Master

^
Theoretically,
Since the 04-06 3G MT was derived from the previous 2G CL-S6 tranny, I believe the 'guts' are pretty much the same between the two as well.

Originally Posted by NVA-AV6
Well, here are the pics of a 03 CL-S 6spd....
Sorry, but the only differences I can see between this and the 04-06 TL-S 6spd are the additional crank sensor in pic 1 and the shift linkage attachement point on the large select lever in the last pic , if you look you will see another hole in the arm, this is where the attachment pin would go for a 3rd gen TL or 7th gen AV6. Both tranny shafts are just as hollow as the 3rd gen TL and the gears, ect do not seem to be of any better materials or hardening.

Last edited by zeta; 05-19-2022 at 09:59 PM.
Acura TL Builder (05-19-2022)
Old 05-19-2022, 10:10 PM
I am dumb

Originally Posted by zeta
^
Theoretically,
Since the 04-06 3G MT was derived from the previous 2G CL-S6 tranny, I believe the 'guts' are pretty much the same between the two as well.
Well now I have more options to look at then. Securing the transmission is my main goal. I can get everything else later.

Also I said I wouldn't get into a race, but a 3G TL with what sounded like a resonator delete pulled up next to me on the highway. I couldn't resist, especially since it sounded like they revved their engine at me. Was behind them, and they started pulling away, but I threw it in 3rd and caught right up to them. There was an opening to merge over, so I did so, and just floored it, hoping they'd chase. Not sure if they tried at all, but by the time I looked at them and then my speed, I was already at 120mph.
Man the CL is so much fun. I'm starting to get the bug to modify the TL now. I'm getting the motivation to swap this 6 speed in. I want to do it NOW.
Old 05-21-2022, 11:50 AM
I am dumb

After a couple days of anxiety, the transmission is still here. Already got the IM off, and pretty much all of the wiring harness disconnected. Friend will be here soon to help out. Just taking a break out of the sun for right now. Didn't bring enough water.

There's also a CL-S here. Took one camshaft already, plan to get the other. Girl also wants the trunk lid & windshield, and an user on here wants the fog/indicator lights. So much to do. Junkyard is like an adult playground for me.
Old 05-21-2022, 04:36 PM
I am dumb

I need help ASAP. I can't get the transmission off the motor. All of the bolts on the bell housing are off, and it's broken free of the motor. But something inside is holding it on. I don't see screws under the dust cover that I need to remove like I do on the autos. What am I missing?

Old 05-21-2022, 04:56 PM
I am dumb

Nevermind, some one helped me get it off. Didn't speak English, but thankfully my girl speaks Spanish. Now to get the pedals.

Also, axles might be fucked. I'll take them anyways.
Old 05-21-2022, 07:58 PM
I am dumb

Transmission is safe and secured in my garage. I got almost everything, but I'll need to order some stuff. The heat got to us and we started getting frustrated. I didn't grab the ECU because it wasn't needed as I'll be ordering an 07-08 for tuning. Didn't grab the brake pedal, and I'm not sure if I needed the wiring under the dash of the car. If I did, I'll order all of that.

I got the entire wiring harness that was underneath the hood attached to the engine and transmission. I'll figure out what I'm missing when putting it into the car, and just order them as I go. Hoping the axles will be alright though. But I also hope I can just use the TL's because they were a pain to deal with.

Won't be attempting to put it in for awhile. But damn, that sucked.
Old 05-21-2022, 09:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 599 Likes on 444 Posts
Nice haul, hardly look at the 3G section since I sold mine.

Don't you also need the subframe and mounts from the manual?
Thefireball (05-21-2022)
Old 05-21-2022, 10:12 PM
I am dumb

Originally Posted by 619rcr
Nice haul, hardly look at the 3G section since I sold mine.

Don't you also need the subframe and mounts from the manual?
Apparently not from every thread I've looked at regarding this topic. Problem is that most are on converting TLs using their transmissions, and not using the Accord's. Makes it difficult to know what all works.
​​​​
Old 05-21-2022, 10:59 PM
I am dumb

Apparently not from every thread I've looked at regarding this topic. Problem is that most are on converting TLs using their transmissions, and not using the Accord's. Makes it difficult to know what all works.
​​​​
I should have mentioned that you don't need the manual subframe. I got the MT transmission mounts. I think one of the lower ones was bad; torn off. The top transmission mount was definitely bad though. It was torn when it was on, came apart in two when it was off. My friend threw one at my nuts, that's how I know.
Old 05-22-2022, 09:33 AM
Safety Car

Dont you need the manual subframe due to the transmission mounts being different?

Whne the tranny wouldnt come off. was it because the dust plate underneath was being help by one bolt?
Slpr04UA6 (05-22-2022)
Old 05-22-2022, 10:18 AM
I am dumb

Dont you need the manual subframe due to the transmission mounts being different?

Whne the tranny wouldnt come off. was it because the dust plate underneath was being help by one bolt?
No threads have mentioned a subframe. The list that I copied from, no one said to add it. So it beats me. How hard I or how bad of an idea, would it be to just drill new holes for tranny mounts? It was literally just 4 holes in the frame when I removed the nuts.

Also, I have no clue why it was stuck. This older skinny Hispanic guy just grabbed the transmission, lifted up the entire thing until it was standing up, and just manhandled the transmission until it came off. Picked up like 600lbs like it was nothing. Gave him money for the trouble. Couldn't get the clutch and flywheel off either. Figured I should buy a new one anyways.
Acura TL Builder (05-22-2022)
Old 05-22-2022, 11:36 AM
-------Tim-------

Received 610 Likes on 514 Posts
I believe there was a one less mount for the manual subframe. Automatic has one more, if I remember reading correctly. I also believe you can use the AT subframe, just missing a mount (which shouldn’t be a problem). Don’t quote me on this..🤣
Old 05-22-2022, 11:46 AM
I am dumb

Originally Posted by Slpr04UA6
I believe there was a one less mount for the manual subframe. Automatic has one more, if I remember reading correctly. I also believe you can use the AT subframe, just missing a mount (which shouldn’t be a problem). Don’t quote me on this..🤣
Guess I'll find out when I go to put it in. I'll be dropping the subframe and putting the transmission in from under the car since it'll be done in my garage.
Slpr04UA6 (05-22-2022)
Old 05-22-2022, 12:35 PM
Safety Car

Correct you could just drill the holes. There are four 14mm bolts that are needed to secure the lower tranny mounts.
The following 2 users liked this post by Acura TL Builder:
Slpr04UA6 (05-22-2022), Thefireball (05-22-2022)
Old 05-22-2022, 01:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 599 Likes on 444 Posts
I'll be dropping the subframe and putting the transmission in from under the car since it'll be done in my garage.
Good luck with that when the time comes. I did my clutch with the subframe in as I didnt have a 4point engine support at the time. Now i have the brace but not the car. never have 2 things that match. lol
Acura TL Builder (05-22-2022)
Old 05-22-2022, 01:56 PM
I am dumb

Originally Posted by 619rcr
Good luck with that when the time comes. I did my clutch with the subframe in as I didnt have a 4point engine support at the time. Now i have the brace but not the car. never have 2 things that match. lol
I plan on getting one those tools they show in the manual to hold the engine in place, then using the hoist on the transmission.from what I can tell, the hardest part about doing all of the under hood work will be the axles, and maybe the reservoirs for the clutch lines. I'm not looking forward to the interior portion though.

Who knew a transmission would be harder than removing & installing a motor.
The following 2 users liked this post by Thefireball:
Acura TL Builder (05-22-2022), Slpr04UA6 (05-22-2022)

Quick Reply: Possible auto to manual swap