3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Do You Prefer MT or AT and Why?
Manual Tranny
59.32%
Automatic Tranny
40.68%
Voters: 354. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Do Members prefer MT or AT and Why?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 09:46 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by trancemission
Ray I dont think I did. I just looked, I dont see anything. Hit me up tonight
Old 03-30-2007, 11:12 AM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am on the verge (test dirivng it this weekend) of getting an AT 2006 TL, 12k miles, Nighthawk BP with ivory leather, non navi (unfortunate) for around $23k. If I had a choice I would buy a MT traffic or no traffic, but this deal is too good to pass up. I have been drving MT for 17 years, so this will be a change.

Drove my friends 06 MT TL and it is fun!
Old 03-30-2007, 11:25 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Originally Posted by genoint
I am on the verge (test dirivng it this weekend) of getting an AT 2006 TL, 12k miles, Nighthawk BP with ivory leather, non navi (unfortunate) for around $23k. If I had a choice I would buy a MT traffic or no traffic, but this deal is too good to pass up. I have been drving MT for 17 years, so this will be a change.

Big fun! Did you have them search for you an MT at other dealers? It would be a shame to miss out on all of this fun!! But good luck whichever way you go!
Old 03-30-2007, 11:50 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by darksom1
Big fun! Did you have them search for you an MT at other dealers? It would be a shame to miss out on all of this fun!! But good luck whichever way you go!
Actually, a family member has an auto body shop, the car was hit, and the owner didnt want it anymore and sold it to an auto wrecker and insurance paid off the rest. he bought is and fixed it, It was hit very lightly, I bought an Inifinti frmo him that was hit and the wife has been drving it for 2 years, no problems. You wont find an 06 TL with 12k miles on it at any dealership for $23k.
Old 03-30-2007, 05:31 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by genoint

Give this some serious thought. You might find yourself down the road, wishing you had purchased what you really wanted.
Old 03-30-2007, 07:51 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
Give this some serious thought. You might find yourself down the road, wishing you had purchased what you really wanted.
Yeah, no doubt! There are deals out there to be made for what you really want. Just have the patience to find them. Not all deals are going to resemble that one, but they don't have to. Just get the best value available, within your budget of course. But a car is an investment. One that depreciates, but still an investment. When you get into making those payments, you want to be happy with the product! Man, if I pull up next to you, you gonna wanna rethink that whole AT thing! LOL!

Good luck!
Old 03-30-2007, 08:38 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
I got AT due to the messy traffic, as well as AT might help reduce the chance of being screwed-up by the garage guys...
Old 03-31-2007, 08:51 AM
Intermediate

I test drove a MT TLS a few days ago and I gotta say I’m very grateful that I purchased the AT TLS. The MT felt a little quicker and yes it felt a little lighter tossing it around but the part that I absolutely hate about it is that ON/OFF clutch. It made me remember why I don’t own a 03’ CLS MT, we test drove one in 03’ I hated it then and I still hate it now. I guess they still haven’t figured out the ideal clutch engagement, my 05’ Nissan Frontier V6 MT has a much better clutch feel than the TLS. The AT isn’t as raw a driving experience as the MT but it doesn’t make me feel like I gotta race every time I drive it just to take off from a light. Maybe it’s just because I have big feet, I don’t know but I couldn’t live with that everyday.
Kudos to all of you who do it on an everyday basis…
Old 03-31-2007, 11:55 AM
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts
MT all the way its just way more fun, for me and my wife atleast
Old 03-31-2007, 01:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Cary
You very well could be an exception, if you never leave anything on the table when shifting you are better at it than I ever was, lol. There are some very good drivers that can consistently wring every drop from their vehicles, I wish I was one of them.

Where is JJ's thread, I would like to see it..?
Hah, my friends with the M5 and Evo were just fucking with me, they knew i didn't stand a chance. It was kind of sad though I held for a little, but once the M5 hit 4th, he was GONE.

But...the M5 was a Dinan stage II with 400rwhp+ and the evo puts about down about 300...Anytime we meet up and cruise, I remember how 'slow' the TL is...Because its usually with STi's, evo's, M3/M5's etc..
Old 04-01-2007, 03:46 PM
71Q

I picked MT, and my 05 tl and my supra are both 6mt's. I wouldnt have it any other way. I like to do my own work, and i hate troubleshooting autos. Silly sensors, fluid levels etc.. It makes it much easier to deal with for me, as i prefer a clutch and a shifter myself anyhow. Only time i would prefer an auto is for serious towing, which is why i had an AUTO F250 diesel before the TL.

JJaber06 - no worries, the TL holds its own for what it is.. honestly, they do fairly well!

take care
Mark
Old 05-10-2007, 12:41 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Hey Sunny201...here is the thread! Check out the members who agree that MT is the best!!!!!
Old 05-10-2007, 05:22 AM
Safety Car

Received 133 Likes on 129 Posts
I WISH I had both! I have an auto because a manual car makes me drive crazy ALL the time. I find myself reving high all the time with manuals, and wanting to speedshift all the time. I sold my last manual because I couldn't keep myself from driving it like I was on a race track!
Old 05-10-2007, 07:59 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
AT here. Maybe if I were younger, and the TL was my only vehicle, I might prefer a manual, but a fwd, 4 door, is just not my classification of a sports car, but times have changed since I was young. One had mentioned longevity with a manual, but in my experience in normal driving, the disc, pressure plate, and/or syncronizes need replacement before an AT would require attention.

Oh, by the way, one of my other cars is a modified RX-7 Turbo I purchased new and it has the 5 speed, no AT option on this one.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:09 PM
Intermediate

I picked MT and I have one. Automatics are no fun!
Old 05-10-2007, 01:14 PM
A J35A8 EG civic is in

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
Hey Sunny201...here is the thread! Check out the members who agree that MT is the best!!!!!
haha thanx... sorry bout that douple post
Old 05-10-2007, 08:37 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

It's all good man! I started this thread a ways back to get a feel for how many of our members drive righteously - 6MT!
Old 05-10-2007, 08:39 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Originally Posted by JD TL-S
I WISH I had both! I have an auto because a manual car makes me drive crazy ALL the time. I find myself reving high all the time with manuals, and wanting to speedshift all the time. I sold my last manual because I couldn't keep myself from driving it like I was on a race track!
There is some truth to that JD! Well, that and some hardcore music!
Old 05-10-2007, 08:49 PM
Instructor

Just one word -- freedom
Old 05-10-2007, 09:03 PM
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
I bought the A/T cause at the time....i was thinking more luxury than sport....that was before i worked at honda...now that i know how much the a/t trannys suck...i would have bought the M/T.....The M/T gets out the whole quicker....but the A/T will catch up and eventually pass the M/T....its true....dont argue....we took 2 stock TL's ....one of each...and everytime the 6mt shifted...the a/t caught up....even with power shifting....the A/T just has longer gears.....
Old 05-11-2007, 12:03 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Originally Posted by 3rdGenHybrid
I bought the A/T cause at the time....i was thinking more luxury than sport....that was before i worked at honda...now that i know how much the a/t trannys suck...i would have bought the M/T.....The M/T gets out the whole quicker....but the A/T will catch up and eventually pass the M/T....its true....dont argue....we took 2 stock TL's ....one of each...and everytime the 6mt shifted...the a/t caught up....even with power shifting....the A/T just has longer gears.....
SSSHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!
Stop that! Just zip it up!

That's classified information!!
Old 05-11-2007, 03:34 AM
Safety Car

Received 133 Likes on 129 Posts
Thats funny! Manuals are a lot of fun. If I had another car with an automatic, I would of gotten an 07 TL-S with a manual. I think about wishing I had gotten the manual quite a bit. But also when I am just cruising/relaxing on the highway, I really like the automatic. For passing I prefer letting the auto do the work, it does a much better job. I just hammer to the floor, and ZOOM, slingshot 10 car lengths past all the GOOF's.
Old 05-11-2007, 05:31 AM
Instructor

I got the AT because it's primarily my wife's car, and while she can drive a MT, she prefers an AT. Resale was also a consideration, amazing how many people can't drive a MT!
Old 05-11-2007, 11:21 AM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
I got the MT because we already have a Pilot to haul around the dogs, hockey equip, etc.

I drove a MT when I was younger and love it, even in stop and go traffic.

As someone said, drinking coffee or eating is hard, but that's why those places have seats and tables.
Old 05-11-2007, 11:27 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,090 Likes on 2,540 Posts
My wife has the Pilot and I have the 6MT TL also, both are perfect vehicles for their intended roles.

Originally Posted by KN_TL
I got the MT because we already have a Pilot to haul around the dogs, hockey equip, etc.

I drove a MT when I was younger and love it, even in stop and go traffic.

As someone said, drinking coffee or eating is hard, but that's why those places have seats and tables.
Old 05-11-2007, 01:21 PM
03 TLS -> 06 Anth Navi MT

I like braking in the MT. I'm not talking about the Brembos (which by the way are THE SHIT!); I love to take it out of gear and brake without fighting the engine. I've always hated that about AT, much harder to stop fast since you're still in gear.

Not to start a hot debate about this technique, but I also like to sit at the light with it in neutral. Most of the time I'm on flat ground and if someone is already stopped behind me behind me, I don't have to keep my foot on the brake.
Old 05-11-2007, 01:52 PM
Intermediate

I already voted on this topic, but I would like to change my answer....

When I previously voted, I was thinking that with all of the traffic that I'm in, the AT would make my commute a little more pleasant. Now two months into ownership, I wish I had never bought the AT. There is no way that I will ever buy another car with an automatic transmission again! SUV's? Of course. But a car? Never again. I live in Jersey, so you have to drive aggressive. The constant gasing and braking is already getting on my nerves, and I just might have to trade this puppy in before I have to replace the transmission.
Old 05-11-2007, 06:35 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Originally Posted by madmoodawg
I already voted on this topic, but I would like to change my answer....

When I previously voted, I was thinking that with all of the traffic that I'm in, the AT would make my commute a little more pleasant. Now two months into ownership, I wish I had never bought the AT. There is no way that I will ever buy another car with an automatic transmission again! SUV's? Of course. But a car? Never again. I live in Jersey, so you have to drive aggressive. The constant gasing and braking is already getting on my nerves, and I just might have to trade this puppy in before I have to replace the transmission.
And don't forget when you trade it in to come over to the darkside (NBP!) and fully complete your metamorphosis!
Old 05-11-2007, 06:51 PM
Tristate ViP Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MT..the performance of this car is truly unleashed in MT
Old 05-11-2007, 07:01 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Originally Posted by CL Platano
MT..the performance of this car is truly unleashed in MT
From one NBP Ray to another NBP Ray - YA DAMN SKIPPY IT IS!!!!!
Old 05-11-2007, 08:06 PM
Athena says 'hi'

MT is what I'd like -- however, in Erie, PA where it snows like 85" a year, I can't get up and down hills. If I moved to Cali, maybe... Also, Wifey Factor ==> She's never driven an MT
Old 05-11-2007, 09:06 PM
10th Gear

I prefer a MT and drive one. The experience is so much better in a MT and I now find an AT boring to drive. My wife can't drive a MT and wanted me to get an automatic, or a sport shift as a compromise. I said the compromise is she gets what she wants in her car and I get the MT in mine
Old 05-11-2007, 10:06 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Originally Posted by MurdochTL
I prefer a MT and drive one. The experience is so much better in a MT and I now find an AT boring to drive. My wife can't drive a MT and wanted me to get an automatic, or a sport shift as a compromise. I said the compromise is she gets what she wants in her car and I get the MT in mine
Murdoch my man, you only have two posts at the time I am typing this.

Now, I don't know what the other post said, but this one right here...is alright with me! Welcome aboard soldier!
Old 05-11-2007, 10:58 PM
My username is lame

i would drive a MT. but for some reason TL seems not right for a luxury car to have a MT. I choose AT on the vote. MT is a lot more fun. haha.
Old 05-12-2007, 07:24 AM
Hooksta

Originally Posted by 3rdGenHybrid
I bought the A/T cause at the time....i was thinking more luxury than sport....that was before i worked at honda...The M/T gets out the whole quicker....but the A/T will catch up and eventually pass the M/T....its true....dont argue....we took 2 stock TL's ....one of each...and everytime the 6mt shifted...the a/t caught up....even with power shifting....the A/T just has longer gears.....

Interesting tid bit...so the AT holds better resale, is more convenient, and is faster.

Had I purchased the 07 G35 instead of my 06 TL I would have purchased it in a 5-speed. IMO, a REAR WHEEL DRIVE, 300+ hp, sport/luxury four door can actually perform like a sports car. Sorry, FWD's aren't sports cars.

Of course I have already said my peace a few pages ago. I didn't need my TL to be a MT because I get my adrenaline going with my 6-speed BMW GS 1200 motorcycle. Acceleration 0-60 in 3.8 (or 3.6) by the book, although I'm pretty sure I haven't done it quite that quickly...YET! And the capability to go offroad is quite nice too. Anyone seen the DVD "Long Way Round?" That's the bike.

I should also add that I work in sales and would prefer NOT to be shifting my car while wearing a suit. Suits aren't the best attire for MT's.

TL's are cool no matter which you opted for...any even though the TL is a four door, and a FWD, and more of a luxury styled car, and if the poster above is right that it is actually slower than the AT....well...I still imagine it is pretty fun to own in a MT.

Get some darksom! HA! (How ya been?)

Eddie
Old 05-12-2007, 09:56 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Originally Posted by Hooksta
Interesting tid bit...so the AT holds better resale, is more convenient, and is faster.

Had I purchased the 07 G35 instead of my 06 TL I would have purchased it in a 5-speed. IMO, a REAR WHEEL DRIVE, 300+ hp, sport/luxury four door can actually perform like a sports car. Sorry, FWD's aren't sports cars.

Of course I have already said my peace a few pages ago. I didn't need my TL to be a MT because I get my adrenaline going with my 6-speed BMW GS 1200 motorcycle. Acceleration 0-60 in 3.8 (or 3.6) by the book, although I'm pretty sure I haven't done it quite that quickly...YET! And the capability to go offroad is quite nice too. Anyone seen the DVD "Long Way Round?" That's the bike.

I should also add that I work in sales and would prefer NOT to be shifting my car while wearing a suit. Suits aren't the best attire for MT's.

TL's are cool no matter which you opted for...any even though the TL is a four door, and a FWD, and more of a luxury styled car, and if the poster above is right that it is actually slower than the AT....well...I still imagine it is pretty fun to own in a MT.

Get some darksom! HA! (How ya been?)

Eddie
I knew you couldn't resist coming back in here and riling up the troops with that "adversity"! Hahahahaha! I've been good Eddie! I saw you in another thread a day or two ago, lurking about and gave a shout out to ya!

I don't know if what that other guy was saying is true or not, but yeah, if they bring that automatic, I'll still "get some"! LOL! I'm gonna check out that DVD so I can see what your bike can do! Be safe man!

- Ray
Old 05-12-2007, 11:14 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,090 Likes on 2,540 Posts
Originally Posted by Hooksta
I extremely doubt a 5AT 3G TL is faster than a 6MT 3G TL in acceleration, the 6MT has closer gear spacing (to allow the engine to stay in the optimum power band), less weight and more efficient drivetrain so I suspect the driver of the 6MT was not good at shifting.
Old 05-12-2007, 11:24 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Originally Posted by Legend2TL
I extremely doubt a 5AT 3G TL is faster than a 6MT 3G TL in acceleration, the 6MT has closer gear spacing (to allow the engine to stay in the optimum power band), less weight and more efficient drivetrain so I suspect the driver of the 6MT was not good at shifting.
I was actually thinking this myself, but I didn't want to get into a debate about it with the original poster. If nothing else, I thought the loss was attributted to the MT driver's lack of proper shifting, as opposed to the other factors the OP said.

I know you knew that too, Hooksta! I can tell by your reply!
Old 05-12-2007, 04:28 PM
Hooksta

Originally Posted by Legend2TL
No arguments from me...as darksom mentions not my "fact" but since it helped my cause I ran with it. I would imagine that a 5-speed is very "capable" of beating an AT. So I do personally believe that a MT is faster than an AT.

How many MT owners are out smoking their tires and ragging out their TL to make absolutely sure they can "stick" that take off consistently. I would imagine it isn't the majority. I mention how fast my bike "can" go and I have actually been riding since I was 4 years old (32 years now) and I'm pretty sure I can't make the bike do 60 in 3.6. I leave that for the professionals at the track. (I am sure that I can hit 60 in the 4 second range however which is quick enough to shake 99% of all cars out there and likely more than 70% of all other moterbikes).
Old 05-12-2007, 04:35 PM
Hooksta

I knew you couldn't resist coming back in here and riling up the troops with that "adversity"! Hahahahaha! I've been good Eddie! I saw you in another thread a day or two ago, lurking about and gave a shout out to ya!

I don't know if what that other guy was saying is true or not, but yeah, if they bring that automatic, I'll still "get some"! LOL! I'm gonna check out that DVD so I can see what your bike can do! Be safe man!

- Ray
Ray,

I absolutely love that DVD. It is a documentary of Ewan McGregor's ride from London, England heading due East until he hits New York City some 120 days later. It you like "adventure" you would likely love this. Might want to check out the amazon reviews here. In fact, Ewan and Charley just took off from the top of Scotland heading down to the bottom tip of Africa...calling this one "Long Way Down."

http://www.amazon.com/Long-Way-Round...9005550&sr=8-1

and cheaper here (and with free shipping)

http://search.deepdiscount.com/searc...d&af=cat1_dvds

Check it out and report back to me. I can't imagine how you wouldn't love it. I have two copies that I loan out to friends and not one complaint on this recommendation yet. Who knows you might even pick yourself up a GS.

Quick Reply: Poll: Do Members prefer MT or AT and Why?