Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Plood kits........ discuss

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 09:29 AM
Anthracite Trend Setter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Plood kits........ discuss

Subjective feeling aside on "too much wood," can somebody comment who has had a kit as to how it is over time. Any fading? Comes off with heat? Regrets?

Thanks.
Old 07-06-2005, 09:49 AM
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if you do a search i think DMZ posted pics of his plood kit. the "too much wood" is subjective depending on your taste. someone also posted pics of carbon fiber dash kit that adds additional pieces.
Old 07-06-2005, 10:48 AM
Anthracite Trend Setter

Done the searches, have all the pictures. I am more interested in hearing feedback from those who have had the kits overtime to see how they hold up.
Old 07-06-2005, 11:43 AM
Anthracite Trend Setter

Oh yea and hey Caball. Thanks for the reply. Long time. I've been off away from the forums for a bit.
Old 07-06-2005, 04:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They are crap. They come start to come off in the heat of the summer. They don't match other wood (if you have wood in your car) and they tend to look cheap once installed.
Old 07-06-2005, 06:04 PM
Safety Car

well there are a few pieces that i would say might look good in addition to the factory trim. the ones that i think look like they accompany the trim are around the door opener and the trim piece above the glove box. pieces i don't like are the ones around the center console, it makes it look kinda ricey.
Old 07-06-2005, 07:19 PM
Cesspool of Knowledge

Originally Posted by vp911
They are crap. They come start to come off in the heat of the summer. They don't match other wood (if you have wood in your car) and they tend to look cheap once installed.
I can state that the "plood" kit I used is definitely NOT crap. I installed my kit a week or two after receiving my 04TL in FEB-04. Having gone through 1.5 Arizona summers (it was 107 °F today ... sort of nippy compared to what we've had lately), the adhesive still has a death-grip on my dash, the colors/style matched the stock plood extremely well, and the colors haven't faded.

The company I used (exoticwooddash.com) also happens to be in Scottsdale, AZ, just a few miles from my house. The staff there was very friendly and helpful.

BTW, the adhesive used on the kit is permanent. Once you heat a piece up with a hair dryer, you had better like where it is, 'cause that's where it's gonna stay. I tried to remove some of the plood pieces that were on a part that was being replaced by Acura. The plood pieces were unusable after I removed them, and lots of the adhesive was still stuck to the part.

Overall, I'm still very satisfied with my plood kit installation.

Trending Topics

Old 07-06-2005, 07:25 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by żGotJazz?
I can state that the "plood" kit I used is definitely NOT crap. I installed my kit a week or two after receiving my 04TL in FEB-04. Having gone through 1.5 Arizona summers (it was 107 °F today ... sort of nippy compared to what we've had lately), the adhesive still has a death-grip on my dash, the colors/style matched the stock plood extremely well, and the colors haven't faded.

The company I used (exoticwooddash.com) also happens to be in Scottsdale, AZ, just a few miles from my house. The staff there was very friendly and helpful.

BTW, the adhesive used on the kit is permanent. Once you heat a piece up with a hair dryer, you had better like where it is, 'cause that's where it's gonna stay. I tried to remove some of the plood pieces that were on a part that was being replaced by Acura. The plood pieces were unusable after I removed them, and lots of the adhesive was still stuck to the part.

Overall, I'm still very satisfied with my plood kit installation.
that's kind of good and bad, what happens if you wanted to remove the piece?
Old 07-06-2005, 08:25 PM
Anthracite Trend Setter

Very helpful Jazz thanks. I can't see why one would need one removed, hopefully you can order the one piece for the part you are replacing. How do they feel? Do they look like they are stuck on pieces with seems or do they give off more of the stock feeling.

Also I have quartz. Do pieces go on teh existing carbon fiber (assume it would stick up high and look wierd) or I need to get stock acura parts as well.

THANKS!
Old 07-07-2005, 07:40 PM
Team Secretary of Housing

Wood accent pieces

Originally Posted by moreace
Very helpful Jazz thanks. I can't see why one would need one removed, hopefully you can order the one piece for the part you are replacing. How do they feel? Do they look like they are stuck on pieces with seems or do they give off more of the stock feeling.

Also I have quartz. Do pieces go on teh existing carbon fiber (assume it would stick up high and look wierd) or I need to get stock acura parts as well.

THANKS!
Hi moreace and fellow members,
As most of you know I have one of the first plood conversions. I too bought my add on kit from exoticwooddash.com. Excellent product. No fading at all and the color matches 100%. My kit too is death grip solid on the surface they are adhered to. I suspect though with the right amount of direct heat from a heat gun or high heat hair dryer they could be pulled off. I have not had to try yet. I am very happy with the product and the look. I ordered the OEM pieces from Acura to have the dealer exchange out my OEM carbon fiber pieces so I don't have the potential overlay problem you elude to. I like the overall finished product in my car. Like gotjazz said earlier, the look is subjective whether it is for you or not. I for one though am glad I did the change and the add on of the kit. I don't have the speedo piece or the acura logo on my glove box piece. I have the original 21 piece kit offered when they first came out.
Bruce
Old 07-07-2005, 10:45 PM
Silky Smooth

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have the carbon fiber, since my interior is quartz, couldnt be happeri with it, makes the interior look great. I stayed away from wood, kind of overpowering in a dark interior for me.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:51 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Not a TL, but here's what some passengers thought of a plood interior for their car.

BJ
Old 07-09-2005, 10:55 PM
Anthracite Trend Setter

Any way to replace the outter part of the wheel so that you can get one with matching wood across the top? I feel the wheel looks out of place with nothing.
Old 07-10-2005, 06:12 AM
Instructor

I have about 15k miles on my plood kit. I used less than others (none around the cd/display/radio for example) and it still looks great and hasn't loosened a bit. Like GotJazz I live in AZ (about 30 miles N of Mexico and 10+ degrees cooler or so on average than where GotJazz is) and the 100+ degrees hasn't effected it at all.
Old 07-10-2005, 07:39 AM
Anthracite Trend Setter

Originally Posted by grudax
I have about 15k miles on my plood kit. I used less than others (none around the cd/display/radio for example) and it still looks great and hasn't loosened a bit. Like GotJazz I live in AZ (about 30 miles N of Mexico and 10+ degrees cooler or so on average than where GotJazz is) and the 100+ degrees hasn't effected it at all.
Thanks Grud. Pics?
Old 07-11-2005, 07:59 AM
Drifting

Received 113 Likes on 69 Posts
Any way to replace the outter part of the wheel so that you can get one with matching wood across the top? I feel the wheel looks out of place with nothing.

Oh, you mean like the chrysler 300c? Yeah, it looks really spiffy in that car.
Old 07-11-2005, 04:53 PM
Anthracite Trend Setter

Originally Posted by te3point5
Oh, you mean like the chrysler 300c? Yeah, it looks really spiffy in that car.
Go back to your own forum. This one has too much car for you to handle.
Old 07-11-2005, 04:56 PM
Anthracite Trend Setter

Anyone use the kit over exising CF?
Old 07-12-2005, 08:26 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
14½ months, 2nd summer. Added plood's holding up just fine.
Old 07-13-2005, 12:09 PM
Cesspool of Knowledge

Anyone use the kit over exising CF?
Hey, moreace - There is no existing Carbon Fiber on the TL. It's just fake CF, using the same type of plastic as the "plood".

I always thought it was humorous how lotsa folks on this site would be so critical about how the wood grain inserts were just plastic, when their carbon fiber was just as fake.

Both look pretty realistic though. I think Acura did an excellent job.
Old 07-13-2005, 12:27 PM
Drifting

Received 113 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally Posted by żGotJazz?
Hey, moreace - There is no existing Carbon Fiber on the TL. It's just fake CF, using the same type of plastic as the "plood".

I always thought it was humorous how lotsa folks on this site would be so critical about how the wood grain inserts were just plastic, when their carbon fiber was just as fake.

Both look pretty realistic though. I think Acura did an excellent job.

He meant for the people with quartz and ebony interior, has anyone here put the wood trim kit OVER it, instead of replacing it with factory parts like some people.
Old 11-10-2005, 08:10 PM
Intermediate

Reliable Plood supplier

Anyone looking for PLOOD kits should get in touch with these guys - Woodtrim Warehouse in Franklin, NY. I called the manufacturer BiTrim yesterday morning and since they do not sell direct to consumer, they provided me the number of Woodtrim Warehouse. Spoke to a guy called Noel Pearson and told him that I wanted the Base kit before the weekend and did not mind paying for expedited shipping. Insisted that since I live in MD, UPS Ground would do fine and not to spend the extra cash.

Long story short..got the base kit for $140 incl. shipping, in 1 day, installed this evening and it is looking mighty fine. Will have to see how it holds up though. Nice to find an outfit that keeps their word ... next on the want list are the goodies from Zaino.