Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please help! What gets scratches out?!

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2004, 01:14 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please help! What gets scratches out?!

hey guys,bad news. I went to a party tonight in this field and It was packed. long story short this guy needed to get out and I had to drive into some branches/bushes to let him out safely or he woulda hit my car considering he was really drunk. Scratched down to the paint. Not past it. Just the clear coat is gone on thin scratches about 2 feet long from my hood to the A-Pillar. Pretty thin scratches but scratches none the less. Any ideas of what gets this out or to look better?! I feel horrible right now but it was spur of the moment and a Scratched TL is better than a Dented TL. So tell me what products I need to get rid of clearcoat scratches. i do have the touchup pen w/ the clear coat on the other side but i dont think it will work. Dunno, havent tried. Please help! Thanks! If this is OT, sorry mods. I apologize I just need some advice soon and hardly anybody looks at the other forums. I dont think I can sleep tonight.
Old 08-21-2004, 02:01 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by EggrollXpress61
hey guys,bad news. I went to a party tonight in this field and It was packed. long story short this guy needed to get out and I had to drive into some branches/bushes to let him out safely or he woulda hit my car considering he was really drunk. Scratched down to the paint. Not past it. Just the clear coat is gone on thin scratches about 2 feet long from my hood to the A-Pillar. Pretty thin scratches but scratches none the less. Any ideas of what gets this out or to look better?! I feel horrible right now but it was spur of the moment and a Scratched TL is better than a Dented TL. So tell me what products I need to get rid of clearcoat scratches. i do have the touchup pen w/ the clear coat on the other side but i dont think it will work. Dunno, havent tried. Please help! Thanks! If this is OT, sorry mods. I apologize I just need some advice soon and hardly anybody looks at the other forums. I dont think I can sleep tonight.
Hey... I have had some pretty good results with a product from meguiars called "Scratch X" I got it at Walmart I think.

http://www.meguiars.com/store_meguia...&subcatagory=2

Rub in on and use a buffer to take it off.... You might need to apply multiple applications but I think this might help you... I had a rock hit (skipped across my hood 3 times) and went down to the metal and manage to fix it without repainting the hood. I had to use a wet sanding technique and used the Scratch X to get rid of the final scratches...

check out this forum
http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89022

Hope this helps....
Old 08-21-2004, 02:37 AM
100k miles club

that scratch X works great. meguiars say if you can't get it out with this stuff then it's off to the body shop
Old 08-21-2004, 10:42 AM
Racer

sigh.....my baby......TL down! TL down! I need backup!
Old 08-21-2004, 12:00 PM
Racer

I have had great results with Dupont #7 polishing liquid. You can get it at an auto parts store that has paint and body work supplies. The Dupont #7 with not add scratches due to very uniform particle size (not always true department store brands per my experience) and it works slowly, so it is unlikely you will eat thru the paint. I use the liquid on a soft wash cloth, though cloth diapers are better if you have them (can buy at Sears). Remember to wax over the rubbed-out area.
Old 08-21-2004, 10:05 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Hmmmm ... 17 years old, has his '04 TL at a rave out in some field in the boonies, has to scratch his car to let a drunk dude get out on the road. This is shaping up as a real slice of Americana here. Lucky the cops didn't crash this beer bust and impound his (scratched) TL.

Jeez.

Mike
Old 08-22-2004, 12:49 AM
Racer

I feel for ya man. I ended up going to a detailer to get my keyed hood fixed, it was 75 bucks that insurance paid for (i know i should have just payed for the 75 bucks, but it was a no penalty fix for my record so i was like what the hell).
Old 08-22-2004, 02:25 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
Hmmmm ... 17 years old, has his '04 TL at a rave out in some field in the boonies, has to scratch his car to let a drunk dude get out on the road. This is shaping up as a real slice of Americana here. Lucky the cops didn't crash this beer bust and impound his (scratched) TL.

Jeez.

Mike
First off, Im not the "Raving" type of guy. I think its just dumb. I was at a party having fun enjoying my weekend. Second of all, Why are you criticizing me? Do U personally know me or something? Did I say I was drinking or was drunk? And even if I did; Relax, Its not I was doing cocaine or anything. Its beyond me how prude america is. It reminds me of that one scene in Eurotrip if anybody knows what Im talking about. Anywho, if you must know, i think im a pretty decent kid thats accomplished a lot more the an the average 17 year old. bet you were a stud in high school huh?

btw...I didnt drink. I was obviously driving my car.
Old 08-22-2004, 03:09 AM
Safety Car

can you feel the scratches with your finger nail? if so then it might be too deep to for scatch-x. meguiars scratch-x is pretty good product to hide swirls and scratches but it might not completely remove the scratch. i rubbed my door against a pole and i thought for sure i needed to repaint the door. i took it to a body shop and they were going to repaint. but when they were prepping the car they realized the scratch was coming out and the clear coat was pretty thick. so get the meguiars and see if that fixes your problem. if not then go to the shop and see if they can wet sand and polish out.
Old 08-22-2004, 09:49 AM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Originally Posted by EggrollXpress61
First off, Im not the "Raving" type of guy. I think its just dumb. I was at a party having fun enjoying my weekend. Second of all, Why are you criticizing me? Do U personally know me or something? Did I say I was drinking or was drunk? And even if I did; Relax, Its not I was doing cocaine or anything. Its beyond me how prude america is. It reminds me of that one scene in Eurotrip if anybody knows what Im talking about. Anywho, if you must know, i think im a pretty decent kid thats accomplished a lot more the an the average 17 year old. bet you were a stud in high school huh?

btw...I didnt drink. I was obviously driving my car.
My apologies ... I jumped to a conclusion without realizing what a great guy you are.

(And, yes, I was a stud in high school. )

Mike
Old 08-22-2004, 11:43 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
My apologies ... I jumped to a conclusion without realizing what a great guy you are.

(And, yes, I was a stud in high school. )

Mike
I apologize as well. I was just upset because my baby got scratched. but luckily its not deep enough for my nail to get it so ill be picking up some ScratchX soon. Thanks for yalls help!