Please advise; I'm buying in next few weeks

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2004 | 08:56 PM
Instructor

Please advise; I'm buying in next few weeks

So, I am all but set on buying a 6MT TL (non nav) in the next several weeks, after I test drive again. But, I have a few questions, which I'm sure the opionated (and sometimes even insightful) crew of this board can answer.

1) What do you like the BEST and LEAST about your TL. And, please, skip the list of mechanical complaints. I'm speaking features here. What do you just love and hate.
2) I am sure that at least some of the discussion will be about the RWD; I am curious about torque steer in everyday driving (i.e. my commute on rather ordinary freeway and back roads, which are somewhat hilly and windy--think Western PA or Northern CA on about 1/3 of my commute) on the 6MT.
3) Also, somebody tell me about that turn radius. On my test drive it did not seem so bad; what about in real life?
4) Any surefire strategies for getting the best price? What targets would you set? Is there an oversupply of 6MT non nav TLs? I have two local dealers (though one is a 45 minute ride) but am willing to hop on a short one-way southwest flight to make the purchase; so I could do the fax internet thing from Baltimore to Chicago to Nashville. Any thoughts?
5) I am also interested in opinions regarding colors other than Antrhacite of ENB. How about the Redondo Red or Green Pearl; I was surprised that I liked both at the dealer.

Thanks
Old 03-13-2004 | 12:31 AM
Racer

1: voice control and nav/xm integration. you blew it here

2: at here, no torque steer

3: its bad for the size. nicked my rim

4: use cars.com

5: wdp is the best with parchment. compliment city. rrp is better than the gp. if you can play off the colors when they are next to each other in the lot.
Old 03-13-2004 | 08:12 AM
Intermediate

I will not be receiving my car until the end of this week (SSM w/Ebony - Nav. & A-Spec), so I can not answer your questions specifically about the car.

As far as pricing goes....
Research: Edmonds, Cars.com any on line auto referral place. Get as many prices as possible from dealers that you would actually buy from. (not too far away) Turnersville Acura in N.J. gives some great online quotes.

Be patient. If you are willing to shop, and the dealer knows that you have done your research and have an idea of what other dealers are selling the car for they will be much more likely to deal and match lower prices to earn your business. They have to beleive that you are willing to take your business somewhere else.

Be honest with the dealer. They sell cars for a living. They have a very good idea about what their competition is offering. You can't blame them for making as much of a profit as possible for their product. After all, when you sell your used car (or trade in) you are also going to try and get the most money possible.

If the dealership has one, try to deal with the internet sales person/Mng.. I don't know how their commission structure works, but that's where I seem to get the best pricing.

When all is said and done, you may very well be able to purchase a car locally for as much as you would out of state.

For what it's worth: I live in Pittsburgh and almost went to Park Acura in Akron for my car.

Good Luck!
Old 03-13-2004 | 08:32 AM
Burning Brakes

Best feature for me is voice everything and navi in that order. No torque steer as far as I can see but who ever drives at the maximum? Turning radius fine. No mechanical or other problems.
Old 03-13-2004 | 04:08 PM
Advanced

Just got back from my first road trip with my new TL (picked it up last Wed Night), and I must say that I am so happy that I decided to get the Nav system. It bailed my out several times already when I was in a foreign town.

Also, I just love the XM. I want to marry Lucy!