Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Picked up my new 2004 TL 6MT with A-SPEC

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2004, 11:38 AM
My dog thinks I'm Elvis!

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Picked up my new 2004 TL 6MT with A-SPEC

I got my new TL 6MT with A-SPEC over the weekend and I love this car! I was driving a 1990 Nissan Maxima SE 5MT, which I will be selling. I ordered an Infiniti G35 12/1/03 but after almost 4 months they couldn't get me a car so I asked for my deposit back, drove the TL and the rest is history. The TL was very good to begin with but with the A-SPEC it's holds the road like a go-kart with minimal torque steer. I know I'll get comments that the A-SPEC is eye candy and ads extra weight but the suspension mods wheels and tires are incredible. Don't knock it until you try it. (Not that I am offering my car up as a demonstrator.) It was worth the extra $ to me but I'm sure I'll get my share of negative comments (from people who probably want it but can't afford it.) Ironic that on the way home I pulled up along side some guy and his girlfriend/wife with a G35 with the bodykit (not sure if it was a 6MT) and you should have seen them check out my car! I got (what I think) is a great deal from Gold Coast Acura in Ventura, CA (Joe Joines is an excellent salesperson) $37750 with door edge gards, all season floor mats and trunk liner + Tax/License, which according to my figures is >$2000 off of MSRP.
So, hello to all...see you on the highway!
Old 03-29-2004, 11:44 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey SBTl,

I have to ask since I am in the market for a TL.

What is the main difference with the A-SPEC package. I have only driven the base TL and I liked it very much. Do you feel like you are driving a bad ass sports car with the A-SPEC package? I am looking for a dynamic handler and I am willing to pay for the package if it is worth it. I hate BMW and will not buy a status symbol.

peace
jim
Old 03-29-2004, 11:52 AM
My dog thinks I'm Elvis!

A-SPEC

In my opinion is makes a striking difference in handling and minimizing torque steer. There was a review in a recent Motor Trend (I think 4/04 and available on line) that was very favorable.
Unfortunately, there are no demonstrators, so you you just got to take the plung.
IMO it was worth every penny!
Old 03-29-2004, 12:37 PM
Powered by Guinness

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Congratulations and welcome to the forum! My only problem with the A-spec is that I didn't know about it before I bought my TL, my dealer didn't mention it, and now that I have the underbody kit it's hard to justify buying the entire A-spec kit! :smackhead It sounds like a very well thought out package. I'm sure you will enjoy it!
Old 03-29-2004, 01:25 PM
Safety Car

what a waste of money on the A-spec...J/K hehehehe. congratulations on the car. the A-spec body kit is so simple but adds so much to the looks of the car. I was very close to getting a G35 as well but unfortuanately they didn't make the coupe in awd. it snows here and i don't have a second car. I wonder how different the A-spec car is with torque steer? i didn't make a big deal about it until i got the car and drove it through some sharp turns. no big deal, 90% of the time i will not come across this problem at all. Enjoy the new ride.
Old 03-29-2004, 05:46 PM
My dog thinks I'm Elvis!

I took the stock TL 6MT for a long test drive before I bought. Compared with stock, the A-SPEC results in much less torque steer and holds the road like you hold your sweetheart. According to MT, the stiffened front end results in less nose dive and better braking as well.

But I don't know... maybe the A-SPEC detractors are right, it's probably just the cool thicker steering wheel and bodykit that makes it feel so good...that and the fact that I have to justify the extra 5k. Whatever, the less A-SPEC kits arround, the better. Don't you all run out and get A-SPEC kits now!
Old 03-30-2004, 09:17 AM
Powered by Guinness

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by SBTL
I took the stock TL 6MT for a long test drive before I bought. Compared with stock, the A-SPEC results in much less torque steer and holds the road like you hold your sweetheart. According to MT, the stiffened front end results in less nose dive and better braking as well.

But I don't know... maybe the A-SPEC detractors are right, it's probably just the cool thicker steering wheel and bodykit that makes it feel so good...that and the fact that I have to justify the extra 5k. Whatever, the less A-SPEC kits arround, the better. Don't you all run out and get A-SPEC kits now!
Funny, I haven't encountered any A-spec detractors who actually OWN an A-spec...

You might be on to something with that thicker steering wheel, though. I'm off to the hardware store to find some foam pipe insulation!
Old 03-30-2004, 04:38 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by SBTL
I got my new TL 6MT with A-SPEC over the weekend and I love this car! I was driving a 1990 Nissan Maxima SE 5MT, which I will be selling. I ordered an Infiniti G35 12/1/03 but after almost 4 months they couldn't get me a car so I asked for my deposit back, drove the TL and the rest is history. The TL was very good to begin with but with the A-SPEC it's holds the road like a go-kart with minimal torque steer. I know I'll get comments that the A-SPEC is eye candy and ads extra weight but the suspension mods wheels and tires are incredible. Don't knock it until you try it. (Not that I am offering my car up as a demonstrator.) It was worth the extra $ to me but I'm sure I'll get my share of negative comments (from people who probably want it but can't afford it.) Ironic that on the way home I pulled up along side some guy and his girlfriend/wife with a G35 with the bodykit (not sure if it was a 6MT) and you should have seen them check out my car! I got (what I think) is a great deal from Gold Coast Acura in Ventura, CA (Joe Joines is an excellent salesperson) $37750 with door edge gards, all season floor mats and trunk liner + Tax/License, which according to my figures is >$2000 off of MSRP.
So, hello to all...see you on the highway!
The 6 speed car should come STANDARD (from the factory) with the A-spec hardware (minus the "ground effects").

It should be optional on automatic cars (which would include the front Brembos and larger anti-roll bars from the 6 speed).

IMO: The BMW 330i Sport is too hard to pass up for ~ $38K.
Old 03-30-2004, 04:58 PM
My dog thinks I'm Elvis!

Problem is, the BMW 330i is not $38.5K. Once you add the performance package, heated seats, moon roof and xenon lights (which you need to do to compare to the TL with A-SPEC) the MSRP is 42.5K and for a much smaller car with much less interior room. I'm 6'3" and when I get in a 330i (or an Audi A4 for that matter) and put the seat back, there is very little rear seat leg room. I took my 12 and 9 year olds to try it out and they were cramped and would not enjoy a long ride. With the TL you get BMW 5 series size at a less than 3 series price with excellent performance. I paid $37,750 and I doubt you get the BMW 330i for close to that with all the above options. I'm happy with my choice and I don't think I overspent (for a FWD car) or wasted my money…but hey, go buy a BMW, the TL will be just that more unique!
Old 03-30-2004, 05:11 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by SBTL
Problem is, the BMW 330i is not $38.5K. Once you add the performance package, heated seats, moon roof and xenon lights (which you need to do to compare to the TL with A-SPEC) the MSRP is 42.5K and for a much smaller car with much less interior room. I'm 6'3" and when I get in a 330i (or an Audi A4 for that matter) and put the seat back, there is very little rear seat leg room. I took my 12 and 9 year olds to try it out and they were cramped and would not enjoy a long ride. With the TL you get BMW 5 series size at a less than 3 series price with excellent performance. I paid $37,750 and I doubt you get the BMW 330i for close to that with all the above options. I'm happy with my choice and I don't think I overspent (for a FWD car) or wasted my money…but hey, go buy a BMW, the TL will be just that more unique!
Throw in the same $2K "discount" and the 330i is $40.5K.

A-Spec is essentially worthless @ resale unless you're lucky enough to find a buyer who REALLY want its and is willing to pay.
Old 03-30-2004, 05:16 PM
Mmmmmm... Anthracite

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Has anyone been able to talk the dealer into just installing the Shocks and springs from the A-spec?

I am trying to get a 6mt w/ navi and have the A-specs' improved suspenion put on without the bodykit. It is a dealer addon but the saleman swears they have to buy it as a package. I am thinking this is BS because if someone has an A-spec and the shocks/springs have to be replaced, the parts dept. can definitely get them.
Old 03-30-2004, 05:17 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by harddrivin1le
Throw in the same $2K "discount" and the 330i is $40.5K.

A-Spec is essentially worthless @ resale unless you're lucky enough to find a buyer who REALLY want its and is willing to pay.
any REFERENCE regarding this?
Old 03-30-2004, 05:22 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by rynpamn21
any REFERENCE regarding this?
Dealer installed items typcially aren't worth crap @ resale.

A-Spec is worth ~ $1,800 (as a factory option). It isn't worth $5K plus (plus the hassle of having to deal with the OEM springs, shocks and wheels/tires).
Old 03-30-2004, 05:23 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by \X/ JiMbo \X/
Has anyone been able to talk the dealer into just installing the Shocks and springs from the A-spec?

I am trying to get a 6mt w/ navi and have the A-specs' improved suspenion put on without the bodykit. It is a dealer addon but the saleman swears they have to buy it as a package. I am thinking this is BS because if someone has an A-spec and the shocks/springs have to be replaced, the parts dept. can definitely get them.
I've heard that you have to buy THE ENTIRE PACKAGE to get the springs and the shocks.

It's nuts; those springs and shocks @ the factory level would cost Acura about what the OEM stuff costs them.
Old 03-30-2004, 05:33 PM
Advanced

Cool Also got one (5MT)

Hey!! Congrats, I agree, is it expensive...yes, do I think its worth it, hell ya!

I got my ASPEC on an anthracite metallic. As far as willing to pay, there is always the risk, i.e., my ITR 98 is hard to sell for what "I THINK ITS WORTH". Do I regret sometimes having shelled out the bucks when it first came out, and the fact I have been testing the market, sometimes. Do I regret the driving experience, the many compliments, the pure thrill of the ride, NO...and thats why I still have the ITR.

Here is my justification in a nutshell, my buddy has a 330, pretty sick looking, when we drove around, it was kind of like, yeah, another BMW, handles nice, quick, a little crowded for a small guy like me (my friend liked to call it cozy?). But no other looks, why should you, its just another one of a thousand million BMW's.

But when I drove my Acura TL ASPEC home the other day, I was complimented, stared at, high beamed by other Acura owners. Point is, they noticed, and when you pay that much, you hope for the time you own it, it gives you the performance, WHICH IT DOES (thanks to the heavy steering wheel ) and it gives you the respect on the road.

That being said, NO ONE BUY THE ASPEC , I want to keep that respect

I haven't seen one at all in Virginia, I know of alot of people with the ASPEC in Cali, but then again, its Cali (I can say that because I'm from there)...

here are pics of mine...

Old 03-30-2004, 05:38 PM
Pro

That is one beautiful TL, congratulations.
Old 03-30-2004, 05:39 PM