Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Performance Mods Please

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2004, 11:02 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Performance Mods Please

I know our cars are more than just some supped up rice-burner super car . But I am not real thrilled about getting blown away by modified Maximas and even Altimas. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE this car and didn't buy it to race around but it seems to be a target for every idiot in a maxima or even GrandPrix to prove I paid too much. This is my first Honda / Acura, I thought you guys loved to mod-out your cars.. Were are the parts? is it 'cause the cars are too new?

(ie No chip, lame exhausts for $1100, K&N intake with minimal gains.. )

Is anyone doing anything different? Besides the psycho on nitrious

PS. I know you are going to reply that this is a luxury car and I shouldn't worry about speed, or I shouldn't beat on my car this way (which I don't really).
Old 10-24-2004, 11:05 AM
Photoshops, and Polls!!!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
You don't have to race them FYI... I didn't buy my car to prove anything to anyone

just my humble opinion that your not going to like...

anyways, here's my answer, wait a bit longer for the after market parts to start producing, there are only a few things out there right now, and a lot of expirimenting. My advice is to wait a year before I do anything to increase performance...(other than aspec stuff, which is not true performance upgrade)
Old 10-24-2004, 11:15 AM
'99 Acura 3.2TL

well the exhaust system adds 7.5hp according to Comptech.. that's not bad at all.

i suggest you wait a lil' bit and get the CT Supercharger when it comes out
Old 10-24-2004, 11:25 AM
Gratis dictum

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm going to add racing stripes. Thats the equivalent of 37 BHP. j/k
Old 10-24-2004, 12:38 PM
Semper Fi

Originally Posted by Tommygun
I know our cars are more than just some supped up rice-burner super car . But I am not real thrilled about getting blown away by modified Maximas and even Altimas. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE this car and didn't buy it to race around but it seems to be a target for every idiot in a maxima or even GrandPrix to prove I paid too much. This is my first Honda / Acura, I thought you guys loved to mod-out your cars.. Were are the parts? is it 'cause the cars are too new?

PS. I know you are going to reply that this is a luxury car and I shouldn't worry about speed, or I shouldn't beat on my car this way (which I don't really).
These days vehicles are getting faster and faster, including stock four door sedans. I would guess at your age you would be mature enough to ignore people plus the speed limit on most roads are 35-50mph, which mean your fame would only last 3-6secs, is it really worth it?
Old 10-24-2004, 01:33 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ali_enterprises
These days vehicles are getting faster and faster, including stock four door sedans. I would guess at your age you would be mature enough to ignore people plus the speed limit on most roads are 35-50mph, which mean your fame would only last 3-6secs, is it really worth it?
This is from a 22 year old with obviously more money than God. And, looking at your list, a heavily modded Mustang? Does your "fame" last longer than 3-6 seconds????

Look, the guy was just asking what is available for performance upgrades, and everyone's jumping on his case..

If you can't answer his question, than don't...

Now, there is a 6-8HP exhaust system available from Comptech, as eluded to above, for roughly $1000-$1200; also there are filters available (K&N), at least three cold air induction intakes (AEM, Injen, and, again the Typhoon from K&N). There are hints that Comptech is working on a ECU chip as well as a positive displacement supercharger, reportedly worth around 40-60 HP; can't really be more due to our higher compression ratio. For the do-it-youselfers, see a recent article in Turbo magazine (I think), where a guy tweaked a home-made turbo system on his CL type-S for 419 WHP...

Suspension-wise, Tien makes a nice set of coil-overs, as well as lowering springs from Comptech; Comptech also offer a rear sway bar that is a great upgrade - should be mandatory.

But, as others have pointed out, the after-market tuners have yet to catch up. Some design features of our drivetrain, such as the exhaust manifold, limit certain mods, such as replaceing the headers, a mod the 2nd Gen guys do right from the start...

Hope this helps...take some time and search this site for more info.

Good luck.
Old 10-24-2004, 01:43 PM
Advanced

I agree w/ PABOUND!! If you don't have something nice to say....

IMO, that 3-6 secs is worth it to show up some stupid kid who thinks their modded POS civic is the fastest thing on the road!!

Man, I miss my GS400!! :blaze:
Old 10-24-2004, 02:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Believe it or not, aftermarket tuners have largely ignored the TLs, whether 1st, 2nd, or 3rd generation. No real mods are available yet for the 3G. The main one to watch out for is the Comptech supercharger, whose release date is constantly slipping. It was supposed to be August, then September, and now December. That will be the only thing that will give you the bang you seem to looking for, but will cost a pretty penny--for the 2G TL it was $4500.

No headers, and there likely won't be because of the design of the stock headers.
Intakes only add a few hp, except if you believe AEM's much delayed design (it's been almost a year!) which theoretically adds 10-15 hp or whatever it was.

So, just enjoy your sporty luxury sedan and cruise until more parts come out.
Old 10-24-2004, 05:03 PM
Semper Fi

Originally Posted by pabound
This is from a 22 year old with obviously more money than God. And, looking at your list, a heavily modded Mustang? Does your "fame" last longer than 3-6 seconds????

Look, the guy was just asking what is available for performance upgrades, and everyone's jumping on his case..

If you can't answer his question, than don't...
Yes I am well off, but I have worked hard everyday of my life, hard-work paired with the right opportunity = Success. As for my Mustang yes it is modded, what is your point? I have driven it fast either on my own private property or on the track, at most it sees the road maybe 10-12 times a year. I would be lying if I said I have never raced on the street, but at the same time it is a rare occurrence (maybe once a year) Never over 6-10 mph posted speed limit. As a Marine I have taken up arms to defend this country and its rights. One of which is freedom of speech, and I will post uncensored regardless of its popularity with some members. p.s... if he had just requested for a list of mods for TL currently available or any other technical question I would have answered it straight forward, but when posting about going up against other vehicles "racing" you leave yourself open to difference of opinions. Oh yeah how do you know how much money god has??? - -

Tommygun- I wasnt trying to attack you I could have worded my post a little differently, but the point I was trying to get across was, is it really worth getting peformance mods just so you can beat a couple of "ricers". As for the mature comment it also wasnt an attack. I was just a little shocked by the age usually younger people post about the topic at hand.
Old 10-24-2004, 10:22 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
When exactly did you have to fight for america's freedom and ensure that the bill of rights remained protected??? true you can write whatever you want on these threads but he wanted a responce to a question, he did not want to get blasted with your opinion. if you dont have any information for him, keep it to yourself no one really cares if you think his 3-6 seconds of glory are useless or not.
Old 10-24-2004, 11:05 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts

Put a power adder on it - Comptech or something similar. An NA workup on this car would be twice the cost of a new engine or more, and involve gutting the entire existing intake and fuel management system. Huge cheap power gains are the forte of the SC'd Cobras - I know - I only put in $2k on mine and it pushes 500 HP, 438 at the wheel.
Old 10-25-2004, 10:56 AM
Instructor

I would guess at your age you would be mature enough to ignore people plus the speed limit on most roads are 35-50mph, which mean your fame would only last 3-6secs, is it really worth it?

My wife says the same.. Maybe I am immature (ok I definitely am) but I'm just looking for a little bump to get rid of the pesky kids in mommies Maxima. BTW what's a "speed limit?"
Old 10-25-2004, 11:32 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by neuronbob
Believe it or not, aftermarket tuners have largely ignored the TLs, whether 1st, 2nd, or 3rd generation. No real mods are available yet for the 3G. The main one to watch out for is the Comptech supercharger, whose release date is constantly slipping. It was supposed to be August, then September, and now December. That will be the only thing that will give you the bang you seem to looking for, but will cost a pretty penny--for the 2G TL it was $4500.

No headers, and there likely won't be because of the design of the stock headers.
Intakes only add a few hp, except if you believe AEM's much delayed design (it's been almost a year!) which theoretically adds 10-15 hp or whatever it was.

So, just enjoy your sporty luxury sedan and cruise until more parts come out.

huh, comptech S/C ?? when i spoke to them they told me december 2004. fat chance. you have to figure they need 1 or 2 months time worth of testing, if they cant say they are currently testing a unit then, well you know, it's BS.

the exhaust can be made into dual exhaust with a balancing "H" pipe to grab a few extra HP, but without the ability to bolt-on a tuned header the exhaust system is all tied up. a v6 in standard mount and RWD would be best.

NoS is the fastest and least expensive way to get some ponies out of the motor, and used only when you need it.
Old 10-25-2004, 12:10 PM
Team Nighthawk Director

Yes I am well off, but I have worked hard everyday of my life, hard-work paired with the right opportunity = Success. .

Now if it was only that easy. Now I remember asking you before, it has something to do with your parnets as the reason you are where you are. For many of us we have to make our own from the bottom. Please keep that in mine.
Old 10-25-2004, 12:19 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
It's easy to climb the ladder of success when your daddy built the ladder.
Old 10-25-2004, 12:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Tommygun,
Patience is a virtue. I haven't done any MOD to my TL simply because nothing is really out there that can BOOST the power of our TLs. When the S/C does come out (whenever it may be ::SIGH:: ) I'll wait a few months after that to see people's reaction to it , then I'll get it. The car is fast enough for me, but additional upgrade would also be nice. I understand that you may be frustrated seeing some suped up civics, maxima, or altimas out there trying to race you. It's tempting when the road is CLEAR Keep your eyes open and have patience... someday the S/C will be out and just buy it

always remember to
Old 10-25-2004, 01:05 PM
Team Nighthawk Director

Originally Posted by Dutchml
It's easy to climb the ladder of success when your daddy built the ladder.

Exactly my friend!
Old 10-25-2004, 04:28 PM
Semper Fi

Originally Posted by subinf
When exactly did you have to fight for america's freedom and ensure that the bill of rights remained protected??? true you can write whatever you want on these threads but he wanted a responce to a question, he did not want to get blasted with your opinion. if you dont have any information for him, keep it to yourself no one really cares if you think his 3-6 seconds of glory are useless or not.
Funny I dont recall saying that I have fought in any war, I believe my words were "I have taken up arms to defend..." ex. (Join the Marine Corps). Blasted by my opinion I was trying to persuade him that it is not really worth doing mods so you can beat a couple of "ricers". Funny thing is the orginal poster can take critism and other opinions without getting offended and understands "to each his own" theory. Why dont you take some of your own advice if you are a firm believer of "keep your opinion to yourself". As far as my opinion again I will not censor myself just because of disagreement with some members. Oh by the way what branch did you serve in????

Originally Posted by J RIDE 81
Now if it was only that easy. Now I remember asking you before, it has something to do with your parnets as the reason you are where you are. For many of us we have to make our own from the bottom. Please keep that in mine.
Point taken, I will not refute this point because it is true, but thats what I meant by opportunity (I had the opportunity to take advantage of my situation) - I could find a job making six figures right out of college, but logically it would be stupid of me to turn down a multi-million dollar company. If you were in my place what would you do, shatter your dads dreams of his eldest son taking over the company, or take a lower paying job and damage relationship with your father.
Old 10-25-2004, 04:37 PM
Awesome to the Max

just put some flashy stickers...it won't be as fast...but it'll look fast...
Old 10-25-2004, 04:39 PM
Team Nighthawk Director

Funny I dont recall saying that I have fought in any war, I believe my words were "I have taken up arms to defend..." ex. (Join the Marine Corps). Blasted by my opinion I was trying to persuade him that it is not really worth doing mods so you can beat a couple of "ricers". Funny thing is the orginal poster can take critism and other opinions without getting offended and understands "to each his own" theory. Why dont you take some of your own advice if you are a firm believer of "keep your opinion to yourself". As far as my opinion again I will not censor myself just because of disagreement with some members. Oh by the way what branch did you serve in????

Point taken, I will not refute this point because it is true, but thats what I meant by opportunity (I had the opportunity to take advantage of my situation) - I find a job making six figures right out of college, but logically it would be stupid of my to turn down a multi-million dollar company. If you were in my place what would you do, shatter your dads dreams of his eldest son taking over the company, or take a lower paying job and damage relationship with your father.

Oh don't get me wrong, you definitely made the right choice and shouldn't even look back. I'm just jealous and that's why I said something. You had the opportunity and you took it. No one can blame you on that.
Old 10-25-2004, 10:53 PM
One on the right for me

I am not in the military. I am just curious as to what you think you are defending against, or when you have been called upon to defend the first amendment. Just seems that you are making a jump from one thing to another. You dont need to take it personal, I just think you are trying to fill a huge gap between posting something on a thread and defending the bill of rights.
Old 10-25-2004, 11:57 PM
Semper Fi

I am not in the military. I am just curious as to what you think you are defending against, or when you have been called upon to defend the first amendment. Just seems that you are making a jump from one thing to another. You dont need to take it personal, I just think you are trying to fill a huge gap between posting something on a thread and defending the bill of rights.
You not having served in the Corps you wont understand, the reason most people join the Marines is not to make money, or go to school (army, air force, and navy better choices for school and money) we join to defend the American way of life the oath we take is "I **** do solemnly swear to up hold and defend the constitution of the United States of America against enemies foreign or domestic so help me god." Forget the Marines for a second any member of the Armed Forces that is serving his contract or has served his contract has defended freedom by serving. This is a hard concept to grasp for most civilians. If you really want to know what I am talking about I suggest you go to the recruiting station and sign a contract. Their is no gap, the American Way of life is defended by this countries Armed Forces which includes freedom of speech. Don’t take it personally, again shows you don’t know Marines to well. Read the first and second paragraph of this website it will give you a small hint to what a Marine is, but no amount of words can truly capture the true meaning of a Marine http://members.aol.com/speerjf/jarhead6.htm . To some it up I do take it personally when a person who does not have a clue what it means to serve in the armed forces has the audacity to say I am trying to fill a huge gap between defending rights of this country. If it makes you feel better I am being reactivated in January to go to Iraq, and no I am not an officer I am a e-4 Corporal meaning that I will most likely be in the front or the rear humvee of the convoys and guess what vehicles get hit the most when a ambush occurs - the front and rear. They gave me an option a month ago to stay in the U.S. and be placed as a instructor in a training school, but I rejected the offer. So as far as combat/fighting well I let you know exactly what I go through if I make it back in a year or so. You may stand behind the flag, but I stand in front of it.
Old 10-26-2004, 01:26 AM
Acurazine Addict

You not having served in the Corps you wont understand, the reason most people join the Marines is not to make money, or go to school (army, air force, and navy better choices for school and money) we join to defend the American way of life the oath we take is "I **** do solemnly swear to up hold and defend the constitution of the United States of America against enemies foreign or domestic so help me god." Forget the Marines for a second any member of the Armed Forces that is serving his contract or has served his contract has defended freedom by serving. This is a hard concept to grasp for most civilians. If you really want to know what I am talking about I suggest you go to the recruiting station and sign a contract. Their is no gap, the American Way of life is defended by this countries Armed Forces which includes freedom of speech. Don’t take it personally, again shows you don’t know Marines to well. Read the first and second paragraph of this website it will give you a small hint to what a Marine is, but no amount of words can truly capture the true meaning of a Marine http://members.aol.com/speerjf/jarhead6.htm . To some it up I do take it personally when a person who does not have a clue what it means to serve in the armed forces has the audacity to say I am trying to fill a huge gap between defending rights of this country. If it makes you feel better I am being reactivated in January to go to Iraq, and no I am not an officer I am a e-4 Corporal meaning that I will most likely be in the front or the rear humvee of the convoys and guess what vehicles get hit the most when a ambush occurs - the front and rear. They gave me an option a month ago to stay in the U.S. and be placed as a instructor in a training school, but I rejected the offer. So as far as combat/fighting well I let you know exactly what I go through if I make it back in a year or so. You may stand behind the flag, but I stand in front of it.
Amen brother! I cannot thank our armed forces enough for upholding and defending everything this country stands for. Wishing for your safe return. Godspeed.
Old 10-26-2004, 11:45 AM
Drifting

I felt the same way coming from a ricer Civic when I got into my TL-S. Get the S/C, it will be well worth the wait! Then you'll have a true sleeper
Old 10-26-2004, 01:18 PM
One on the right for me

Again I think you are jumping to conclusions with what I said in responce to your initial remarks. I did not see the link between saying what you want to in a thread and being in the marines. All the fluff about being a Marine, well that was extra and unnecessary. You are right, I do not know what it is like to be a Marine, and I have no desire to be one. I respect your decision to enlist and wish you the best of luck. I believe the responces have moved off topic however, from what I was originally responding to. I was simply curious as to why you mentioned being a Marine in responce to remarks said in reference to your responce to a modification statement. I was not trying to question your motives or poke fun at the fact there is no threat being addressed right now, simply just curious as to why you went to the extent of stating you were in the marines and that the first amendment protects your responces. Everyone already knows that you can pretty much say whatever you want to in these threads, I do not see the need to give background detail with little relevence to the matter at hand.
Old 10-26-2004, 04:31 PM
Instructor

Your suggestion didn't work

I just enlisted in the Marines, and my car isn't one bit faster!!

Whats up?
Old 10-26-2004, 05:36 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts

Whats up?
Try yelling "Semper Fi" or "Hoo-rah" a bit louder, brother. I did Parris Island in the 70's.
Old 10-26-2004, 05:50 PM
Semper Fi

Again I think you are jumping to conclusions with what I said in responce to your initial remarks. I did not see the link between saying what you want to in a thread and being in the marines. All the fluff about being a Marine, well that was extra and unnecessary. You are right, I do not know what it is like to be a Marine, and I have no desire to be one. I respect your decision to enlist and wish you the best of luck. I believe the responces have moved off topic however, from what I was originally responding to. I was simply curious as to why you mentioned being a Marine in responce to remarks said in reference to your responce to a modification statement. I was not trying to question your motives or poke fun at the fact there is no threat being addressed right now, simply just curious as to why you went to the extent of stating you were in the marines and that the first amendment protects your responces. Everyone already knows that you can pretty much say whatever you want to in these threads, I do not see the need to give background detail with little relevence to the matter at hand.
Your initial attack was "When exactly did you have to fight for America’s freedom and ensure that the bill of rights remained protected??? " & "I did not see the link between saying what you want to in a thread and being in the marines. " I guess you still don’t get ( Serving in the Armed Forces = defending the American Way of life (which includes rights- such as freedom of speech) Regardless of combat time served. Don’t try to go back to the performance topic you made the comment and now you need to stand up to it. You are right about one thing (YOU DONT KNOW) - "I do not see the need to give background detail with little relevance to the matter at hand."- I was refuting your ignorant, and disrespectful comment, at first I thought it was lack of knowledge, but even after explaining it to you still don’t see the point.
"All the fluff about being a Marine" -- I would be careful what you call fluff-- another ignorant comment, I am sorry and I usually don’t judge people like this but you sir are an idiot. As far as I am concern my conversation with you is over I will no longer reply to your idiotic comments.

"Never argue with an idiot. He'll bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience!" I should have followed my own advice.

Whats up?
Wait until after bootcamp it will kick in.
Old 10-26-2004, 05:51 PM
Semper Fi

Originally Posted by Road Rage
Try yelling "Semper Fi" or "Hoo-rah" a bit louder, brother. I did Parris Island in the 70's.

Semper Fi, What was your MOS.
Old 10-26-2004, 06:29 PM
Advanced

this thread veered into the wrong direction
Old 10-26-2004, 10:12 PM
Instructor

yeah... what happen to "Performance Mods" discussions?
Old 10-27-2004, 02:39 PM
Car Addict

I saw a post on another board that Jim the Greek picked up 11rwhp from an Injen cold air intake.

I have to say that 11rwhp is a pretty good gain from a cold air intake, I would totaly get one. 7-8rwhp for a catback is a joke.

If we end up getting a TL on Friday I will look around for a CAI first thing.
Old 10-27-2004, 02:55 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
I saw a post on another board that Jim the Greek picked up 11rwhp from an Injen cold air intake.

I have to say that 11rwhp is a pretty good gain from a cold air intake, I would totaly get one. 7-8rwhp for a catback is a joke.

If we end up getting a TL on Friday I will look around for a CAI first thing.
The only way you're going to get 11rwhp on a TL is if you drive in reverse.
Old 10-27-2004, 02:59 PM
Shift_faster

Originally Posted by Dan Martin
The only way you're going to get 11rwhp on a TL is if you drive in reverse.

Aegir (another A-TL member) dynoed his TL with the Injen. He gained about 8 whp...at the front wheels... 8-11 whp is not bad at all. (Of course we have AEM's imaginary intake that has 20hp of a gain).
Old 10-27-2004, 03:11 PM
Car Addict

Oops FWHP right.

Does that Comptech rear swaybar help with torque steer or something?
Old 10-27-2004, 03:21 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Oops FWHP right.

Swaybars have nothing to do with torque steer. They just control the roll rate of the car in a corner.
Old 10-27-2004, 03:25 PM
Shift_faster

Here is my review (and I linked a couple of other reviews as well).
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...mptech+swaybar
Old 10-27-2004, 03:49 PM
Car Addict

A beefier rear bar can help keep a car more planted, I'd post a pic of the one on my 98 Formula but I see the VBB does not have the attachment feature turned on.
Old 10-28-2004, 07:58 AM
Instructor

Intake

So is the Injet a better buy than K&N? They are claiming only 6.8HP gain, with the dyno chart.

Side note: I raced an RSX last night and got smoked. I had him off the line by 1/2 car until about 60. By 80 he had completely passed me. Do you think it was stock? I didn't think they were that fast. It did sound very "thoaty" so I think he at leat had an intake, exhaust looked stock (I had a good look at that unfortunatly). I tried to ask him at the next light, but he was kind-of a jag about it. (I have a 5at)
Old 12-02-2004, 10:11 AM
Tm Nghthwk Wingnut Monkey

Yes I am well off, but I have worked hard everyday of my life, hard-work paired with the right opportunity = Success.

Thank-you for your service. We owe you and your brothers (marines) a lot.

With that said, dude your 22. Usually people wait to say they worked hard their whole life until they're at least 40. Congrats on your success though. Must be nice to have all those toys.

Quick Reply: Performance Mods Please