Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

People are so ignorant

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2004, 04:56 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
People are so ignorant

seeing other forums ive realized that none of the other cars take the TL as a serious competitor preformance wise. Mainly G35 coupes little do they know our cars can keep up. the ultimate sleeper.(How would an auto Tl do against a auto G35 coupe)
Old 03-16-2004, 04:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
who cares?
Old 03-16-2004, 05:42 PM
Banned

Bottom line, the G35 has 10 more horses and 270ftlbs of torque, opposed to the TL, which has 238. Also, the coupe is about 100lbs lighter. The G would probably get the jump, but if your in a manual, you might give it a run...
Old 03-16-2004, 05:48 PM
Lurker

Dup thread?

http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showt...threadid=74022
Old 03-16-2004, 06:39 PM
Instructor

i dont get why people care about speed... i care about if the car will suffice my needs... and the battle between the G35 coupe and the TL? does that 0.3 seconds or watever faster 0-60 make you feel like you rule the world or make u feel like you have a bigger dick? drive the car and stop comparing... if u like the TL buy, if u dont dont buy it and buy something else.
Old 03-16-2004, 06:45 PM
Racer

its tiresome how these wannabe racers always talk only about speed with this car. thats why insurance rates go up when these morons get tickets or crash and those of us who drive normally get penalized for their stupidity. I like to drive my tl quickly on the highway but I will be damned if some jackass in an anything pulls up beside me and sucks me into their demented racer fantasy. and besides the g35 coupe is in no way a competitor for the tl. its just a z for grownups. single or childless grownups at that.
Old 03-16-2004, 06:47 PM
Banned

Wish you werent a liar...

So your saying you would have been just as happy if the TL had a 4 banger in it? There are many other cars out there much less expensive then the TL that would suffice your needs. The reason I bought was because of quality, performance and good looks.

Would I have bought the TL if it had a 4 in it? Not hardly...
Old 03-16-2004, 06:50 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by joerockt
Wish you werent a liar...

So your saying you would have been just as happy if the TL had a 4 banger in it? There are many other cars out there much less expensive then the TL that would suffice your needs. The reason I bought was because of quality, performance and good looks.

Would I have bought the TL if it had a 4 in it? Not hardly...
no... my needs are a 6 cylinder with plenty of horsepower... and i dont need to race it and put people in danger and compare its 0-60 with other cars. If your not a profession racecar driver your just wasting your time talkin about speed.
Old 03-16-2004, 06:51 PM
Lurker

All of these people bent 'cause people actually have the pedal reach the floormat should have bought a minivan.

To me, the TL isn't just "transportation". It's a car to be used the way Acura designed. They didn't put an 11:1 motor in there for no reason.

To some I guess there is no sport in the sport sedan.
Old 03-16-2004, 06:54 PM
Lurker

Originally posted by EulisCool
no... my needs are a 6 cylinder with plenty of horsepower... and i dont need to race it and put people in danger and compare its 0-60 with other cars. If your not a profession racecar driver your just wasting your time talkin about speed.
Then why do you need "plenty" of horsepower? You want to drive like grandma and get passed on the right by streetsweepers and ice cream trucks, you go right ahead.

There's a simple concept you need to understand.

Don't like a thread...skip it.
Old 03-16-2004, 06:55 PM
Banned

Fair enough...but horsepower relates to top speed. So, you must have a need to drive at a high rate of speed right?

Im not for the racing thing by any means, but I think people are full of it when they buy cars like the TL and say "It suffices my needs"

You know deep down when you mash on that pedal what needs your sufficing...
Old 03-16-2004, 06:58 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Skeedatl
All of these people bent 'cause people actually have the pedal reach the floormat should have bought a minivan.

To me, the TL isn't just "transportation". It's a car to be used the way Acura designed. They didn't put an 11:1 motor in there for no reason.

To some I guess there is no sport in the sport sedan.
WELL PUT! Couldnt have said it better...Or maybe I did??
Old 03-16-2004, 07:02 PM
Lurker

Your point was taken. Basically these are the types that bitch about hockey and football being too violent. Uh, don't watch. Uh, don't play. Don't like how I drive? Stay off the sidewalk. Don't like the comparison threads...skip them.

It's not rocket science.
Old 03-16-2004, 07:04 PM
Banned

Originally posted by digital_b
I like to drive my tl quickly on the highway.
Hypocrite..."Quickly" to me would imply that you like to drive over the speed limit, zip around cars and pass at a high rate of speed.

Now, besides other cars not KNOWING what your doing, go ahead and define racing...
Old 03-16-2004, 07:08 PM
Lurker

What's funny is in another thread digital_b claims his car seems fast in all conditions. So he's bent that people sprint from a light, yet he has driven fast "in all conditions". It's certainly a hell of a lot safer to make a little sprint in the dry to 60MPH than drive fast in rain or snow.
Old 03-16-2004, 07:13 PM
Banned

That is funny...

I guess some people think that as long as their not aware they are racing aganst someone, then their not racing!

Racing aganst yourself rules...Your always the winner! hahahaha
Old 03-16-2004, 07:22 PM
Banned

By the way, how do go about getting a Barry McKokkenner sponsorship?

Love that...:p
Old 03-16-2004, 07:25 PM
Racer

joerockt: maybe you should get some comprehension skills. unless your highways have speed limits under 65 mph.
Old 03-16-2004, 07:29 PM
Banned

Please, go ahead and give me your version of what driving "quickly" means. Cause, you know, I like to hear both sides.
Old 03-16-2004, 07:53 PM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
I don't understand what the argument here is about. Surely there is an obvious difference between driving quickly (for example, driving at a reasonably steady 75-85 mph) and engaging in a contest of speed with another driver.

Mike
Old 03-16-2004, 08:05 PM
Team Anthracite President

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I, I ams, what I ams...

Although this thread has gotten a little sideways, I believe there is a point here.

Here are the 2004 TL facts:

*FWD
*4 doors
*Japanese
*Luxury level car
Hardly a racer, with that, I'm too sick of the "who can we beat syndrome" really, let's all grow up!

Am I glad that the TL has 270 bhp? - Hell Yeah! (Wish it had 370 bhp), but if you really want a racer then get a racer. Almost any muscle car or V-8 (not to mention V-10's and V-12's) will beat the pants off the TL.

The TL is a great car, which happens to post decent 0-60 times.

Here is how I race: I pull up to a red light, if some 'racer" is lurking, I look at him, if he cars post faster time in the magazines then he's the winner, if my car post faster times, then I'm the winner, end of story. But either way, I'll be looking cool as hell.

Mike Smeezy, Fo' Sheezy
Old 03-16-2004, 08:11 PM

Has a alot to do with the name TL. First Acura dumped Vigor, then changed the TL (1st gen) which was perfectly forgettable (not a bad car but overlooked). THe 2nd gen came which was better, looked nothing like the 1st gen and then in 2 years, they redesign the front end and have a Type S. Then the 3rd gen comes, it is SHORTER, they drop the Type-S and 3.2 off the trunk and it also looks nothing like the 1st or 2nd gen. A lot of change confuses people, especially many that don't know much.
Old 03-16-2004, 08:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Re: I, I ams, what I ams...

Originally posted by Vffr1
Although this thread has gotten a little sideways, I believe there is a point here.

Here are the 2004 TL facts:

*FWD
*4 doors
*Japanese
*Luxury level car
Hardly a racer, with that, I'm too sick of the "who can we beat syndrome" really, let's all grow up!

Am I glad that the TL has 270 bhp? - Hell Yeah! (Wish it had 370 bhp), but if you really want a racer then get a racer. Almost any muscle car or V-8 (not to mention V-10's and V-12's) will beat the pants off the TL.

The TL is a great car, which happens to post decent 0-60 times.

Here is how I race: I pull up to a red light, if some 'racer" is lurking, I look at him, if he cars post faster time in the magazines then he's the winner, if my car post faster times, then I'm the winner, end of story. But either way, I'll be looking cool as hell.

Mike Smeezy, Fo' Sheezy
:smokin: I commend you.
Old 03-16-2004, 08:32 PM
Team Anthracite President

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Almost forgot...

To answer the question "They didn't put an 11:1 motor in there for no reason"

The reason was to sell pipe dreams to people who get excited about all-that- compression. I for one didn't buy the car for its compression ratio. I bought it because it's great car overall.

Some of the pretzel-logic, assumes that Honda wants you "to race the car the way they entended it to be raced."

Give Honda a call, they don't think that way at all. I have one word for those folks "marketing."

Mike Smeezy, Zaino Master
Old 03-16-2004, 08:43 PM
Lurker

Yeah, excuse me all to hell because I'm pleased that the TL includes a 270HP motor, and it was a primary factor in my purchase decision. Your reasons for buying the TL (the fact that's it's a well rounded package) aren't everyone's. It's a crushing thought I know...but one you must get over nonetheless.

As for racinging. I've bracket raced my TL (got through 2 rounds before red lighting) when my GN was apart. You can race anything. Fortunately you don't define what a racer is. Bracket racing my TL was nearly as fun as racing my 10 second Grand National.
Old 03-16-2004, 08:52 PM
Lurker

I really love all these guys who have never set foot on a track defining was constitutes a nice fun fast car for the rest of us.

You want to drive like granny, more power to you. If some want to go heads up against another showroom car and have some fun, tough sh!t. If some want to take advange of the power Honda put into the car, 270 naturally aspirated 11:1 HP n' all and go bracket racing, you'll just have to get over it.

Some of us choose to drive the car the way it was designed to be driven. Some of us choose to get their panties in a bunch about those who do.
Old 03-16-2004, 08:54 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Acura only puts 270 hp for bragging rights and to sell to the racers. 90% of car buyers do NOT care how many horses are under the hood. What they REALLY want to know is how quickly will it pass cars/trucks and how quickly it can move away from a stoplight.

225 hp was plenty, 200 hp was plenty but there is a new horsepower war brewing and Honda doesn't want to be behind. Look at the Accord, 240 hp in a family car. 0 - 60 in 6.5 seconds. Necessary? Hardly, its for the bragging rights.

Occasionally I like to "race" up to the speed limit on a 4 lane road but I really don't care that I have "only" 230 hp (Type II motor in a '97 TL)

It is not the end of the world if other people can go faster because in the end, they have to follow the same traffic laws that I do.
Old 03-16-2004, 08:57 PM
Lurker

Really, so you have any data backing up this conjecture of who chooses the 2004 TL and for what reason? I'm sure Honda would be interested in your extensive research. How do you know what's in the minds of all 2004 TL buyers? I sure don't and I imagine you don't either. But from what I see here...plenty put the horsepower high on their appreciation list.
Old 03-16-2004, 09:00 PM
Senior Moderator

I sold cars, in particular Hondas. I came to my own conclusions. Remember that WE are car enthusiasts and a minority.
Old 03-16-2004, 09:04 PM
Lurker

There is a difference between car enthusiasts and driving enthusiasts. Sure, there are plenty of car enthusiasts here, but there are also a lot of driving enthusiasts.

Car enthusiasts I see here get all pissy about driving enthusiasts pointing out "flaws" in the TL. Driving enthusiasts who own the TL who acknowledge the "flaws" realize there is no such thing as the perfect car, but enjoy and frequently use the performance Honda built into their TL.
Old 03-16-2004, 09:04 PM
TLover

untill you get the fastest car in the world dont talk about 0-60, b/c there will always be someone faster then you. if you talk about the G and the TL on a 0-60 time and beat the G then there will be a bmw mb or even leus that will beat you then. maybe talk about a 325 or a IS, b.c with those cars you will be happy to beat. why talk about the G coupe if we all know its faster from 0-60
just my 0.2 cents
Old 03-16-2004, 09:08 PM
Lurker

People are surprised about the performance of the G35 coupe. I know as a drag racer I am. That HP torque combo in a naturally aspirated 6 cylinder that passes Cali smog are rare. Those not interested in discussing a head up race against the G35 are free to skip the thread. Those who love cars...all kinds of cars aren't offended by the performance of the G35 coupe and don't mind "sightings" of cool cars like the G35 coupe.

As always...anyone who doesn't like a thread is more than welcome to skip it.

For me, whether it's a G35, Q45 or F50, I enjoy reading people's impressions of other cars and stories of stuff that happened to them while flogging their TL whether they smoked someone or got smoked (like I did when I went head up against a G35 coupe).
Old 03-16-2004, 09:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by Skeedatl
There is a difference between car enthusiasts and driving enthusiasts. Sure, there are plenty of car enthusiasts here, but there are also a lot of driving enthusiasts.

Car enthusiasts I see here get all pissy about driving enthusiasts pointing out "flaws" in the TL. Driving enthusiasts who own the TL who acknowledge the "flaws" realize there is no such thing as the perfect car, but enjoy and frequently use the performance Honda built into their TL.
Yes thats fine and all. But lets not forget that most TL buyers are NOT car or driver enthusiasts. I'm not saying that we are better or more elite by any means but WE notice and nitpick things that MOST buyers will simply not notice.

It would be different if we were talking about a Type R Integra or S2000 or even an NSX. Those cars are specifically designed for such. The TL is a WELL-BALANCED car that just happens to quite quick.

Just from observation, it seems that the few NSX and S2000 owners I know NEVER EVER race or push their cars beyond say 7 or 8/10ths. A pity perhaps but they probably bought the car for fun and status rather than all-out racing.
Old 03-16-2004, 09:15 PM
Lurker

Originally posted by Ken1997TL
Yes thats fine and all. But lets not forget that most TL buyers are NOT car or driver enthusiasts.
IF, this were true, which I'm not convinced it is, I say so what? If they come here, AND they're offended by the discussion of flaws in the TL, or by people telling a story about getting beat by a faster car they should skip the thread rather than bitch about it.

There is nothing wrong with flogging your TL should you choose to.
Old 03-16-2004, 09:16 PM
Andrenaline Junkie

Yes thats fine and all. But lets not forget that most TL buyers are NOT car or driver enthusiasts.
Is that because the gave the TL bad reviews? ....LOL?
Old 03-16-2004, 09:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Just from observation, it seems that the few NSX and S2000 owners I know NEVER EVER race or push their cars beyond say 7 or 8/10ths. A pity perhaps but they probably bought the car for fun and status rather than all-out racing.
Fortunately, that is not the case in my locale.

The last two BMW CCA events I drove in my NSX were fairly well-attended by NSXs. 4 NSXs at blackhawk, 4 NSXs at Road America.

You should check www.nsxprime.com

Awesome site. The FAQ section is amazing.

You will see there are many of us who track and/or race our NSXs throughout the country, including Oregon.

I even do stupid things on the streets in mine, from time to time. It is hard to resist the NSX. Thank God for my V1.

I took that car to 110 on the test drive. It was magnificent.

Also during the test drive, some ricers in a primer-spackled, combat-ready bodykit/double-decker sushi-bar winged, circa 1995 Accord sedan followed me for a while with a video camera. That is, when I allowed them to be in my presence.

Needless to say, I knew that was the one. (I had driven others).
Old 03-16-2004, 09:19 PM
Lurker

I consider myself to be a driving enthusiast and I fully recognize flaws in the TL including bump steer and bad balance but the good outweighed the bad to the point which I dropped $32K on one.

But just because I own one and like it doesn't mean I'm going to ignore it's shortcomings, nor bitch about someone who got beat by a quicker car.
Old 03-16-2004, 09:23 PM
Lurker

Originally posted by brahtw8
Fortunately, that is not the case in my locale.

The last two BMW CCA events I drove in my NSX were fairly well-attended by NSXs. 4 NSXs at blackhawk, 4 NSXs at Road America.

You will see there are many of us who track and/or race our NSXs throughout the country, including Oregon.

I even do stupid things on the streets in mine, from time to time. It is hard to resist the NSX. Thank God for my V1.

I took that car to 110 on the test drive. It was magnificent.

Also during the test drive, some ricers in a primer-spackled, combat-ready bodykit/double-decker sushi-bar winged, circa 1995 Accord sedan followed me for a while with a video camera. That is, when I allowed them to be in my presence.

Needless to say, I knew that was the one. (I had driven others).
See...this is an example. Reading just that one line about the test drive...I like that. I can sit here watching South Park on TiVo thinking about what it must be like to really enjoy an $80,000 sports car like the NSX. I read stories on here about WRX STi's, G35's and others and enjoy those too, no matter how the TL did "against" them.

Now those who think taking a 110MPH test drive is a bad thing don't need to derail the thread bitching about how it's going to raise their insurance or other such stupidity. Those so offended can skip the thread.
Old 03-16-2004, 09:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by brahtw8

I'm a member of the site

I still say that a good portion of people who drive even Ferrari's are not pushing them. Yes, some keep them as track cars etc but I'm sure a lot more just drive them around town at the speed limit.
Old 03-16-2004, 09:26 PM
Lurker

That I imagine is because you have to be 300 years old before you accumulate the wealth to buy one At least around here all I see in Ferrari's are silver headed folk.

Quick Reply: People are so ignorant