Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

People are so ignorant

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2004, 09:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Originally posted by Skeedatl
Now those who think taking a 110MPH test drive is a bad thing don't need to derail the thread bitching about how it's going to raise their insurance or other such stupidity. Those so offended can skip the thread.
I have to disagree. When you do stunts like that you are endangering us all. As another driver, I have a RIGHT and a big say.

Please, keep it on the track.
Old 03-16-2004, 09:33 PM
Lurker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
And derailing the thread will suddenly make people change their ways? It doesn't. And no thanks. If I feel like flogging my TL I'll make the decision where, when and how. However, if I should cross the northern border I'll drive a strict 65 and signal for every turn, just for you buddy.
Old 03-16-2004, 09:36 PM
Senior Moderator

And derailing the thread will suddenly make people change their ways? It doesn't. And no thanks. If I feel like flogging my TL I'll make the decision where, when and how. However, if I should cross the northern border I'll drive a strict 65 and signal for every turn, just for you buddy.
No it probably won't change their ways. But I won't just idlely stand by either. There are other drivers on the road, there are laws out there for a reason. Braking distances go up exponentially. Reaction times slow, tires give out. etc etc.

Please have respect for others on the road. I have seen too many accidents already that were caused by foolishness and contempt for the rules of the road.
Old 03-16-2004, 09:44 PM
Lurker

Oh man...now you have me all guilty about the match race I have set up in front of the preschool tomorrow. And I arranged for the street to be wet down any everything. Oh well, I'll just have to wait till rush hour...and the flashing lights on the school bus will be the finish line.

As for respect...I have a whole lot less respect for someone blocking up the toll lanes driving 65 than someone doing 90 or 100 on I15 or 2 cars racing from a traffic light on a deserted road.

While were at it, what other activism should get derail threads with? Perhaps bitching about people buying TL's instead of Hybrids because it's bad for the environment?
Old 03-16-2004, 09:46 PM
Senior Moderator

Oh man...now you have me all guilty about the match race I have set up in front of the preschool tomorrow. And I arranged for the street to be wet down any everything. Oh well, I'll just have to wait till rush hour...and the flashing lights on the school bus will be the finish line.

As for respect...I have a whole lot less respect for someone blocking up the toll lanes driving 65 than someone doing 90 or 100 on I15 or 2 cars racing from a traffic light on a deserted road.
I have far more respect for people who obey the law than people who recklessly put others in danger simply because they are impatient.
Old 03-16-2004, 09:47 PM
Lurker

Good for you.
Old 03-16-2004, 09:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Good for you.
If this attitude you're putting on here is for real, I will remember to avoid driving anywhere near you. It is reckless and foolish. A REAL racer KNOWS better.
Old 03-16-2004, 09:54 PM
Lurker

It will certainly be to late. If I get near you the world will end, dogs and cats will live together...pandamonium. Someone accelerating too fast from a traffic light or doing 90 past you on the interstate must put you into a seizure. I'm surprised you make it out of your house.

Real racer...LOL.
Old 03-16-2004, 09:59 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Ken1997TL
I'm a member of the site

I still say that a good portion of people who drive even Ferrari's are not pushing them. Yes, some keep them as track cars etc but I'm sure a lot more just drive them around town at the speed limit.
I need more money.
Old 03-16-2004, 10:06 PM
Senior Moderator

It will certainly be to late. If I get near you the world will end, dogs and cats will live together...pandamonium. Someone accelerating too fast from a traffic light or doing 90 past you on the interstate must put you into a seizure. I'm surprised you make it out of your house.

Real racer...LOL.
Yes, I do get upset when people fly by at 90 mph or faster. It is reckless and stupid. Have you ever been in an accident caused by someone else's foolishness? Apparently not or else you might have learned something.
Old 03-16-2004, 10:10 PM
Lurker

What I've learned is speed doesn't kill. Difference in speed does. It's the dumbass stopping at a yellow light or doing 65 in the fast lane, impeding traffic, forcing those behind him/her to try and get around that is more dangerous than someone driving 15 MPH faster than prevailing traffic.

Sure, what I've learned is people like you should keep right (and not derail threads).
Old 03-16-2004, 10:13 PM
Senior Moderator

The difference in speed is caused by macho morons such as yourself who forget that their feet aren't made out of lead.
Old 03-16-2004, 10:14 PM
Team Anthracite President

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Racer boy...

I'm not into personal attacks, so I won't mention your name.

But you do need to grow up... I'm not sure what your parents did to you, but they really messed you up! Let the Mach 5, Speed Racer thing go, Trixy and Sprydel arn't for real.

But on a different note, I do respect that you, for the most part, take it too the track.

Love yourself for who your are, not the times your child hood cars turned in the 1/4 mile.

Smeezy,
Old 03-16-2004, 10:15 PM
ZHP 4CE

I'm pretty young, 25, so I enjoy laying the pedal to the metal when a kicka$$ song comes on the radio or when I feel I have to "defend" my space on the road.

Three weeks ago, though, my best friend was killed by a couple of kids racing. They came around a shallow curve at almost 100 mph and didn't have enough time to see and stop for the red light, which they ran. One of them broad-sided my friend's car killing him and my friend. The kid driving the other car didn't even have a license or insurance.

I have to admit, I've caught myself driving a little recklessly since then, but something like this really put things into perspective for me. Higher insurance premiums are one thing, but living with that kind of guilt on your shoulders for the rest of your life (or not living at all) is a whole 'nother ballpark.
Old 03-16-2004, 10:22 PM
Senior Moderator

TLud, sorry to hear that. That is exactly what we unfortunately hear about when speed is involved. Please keep the racing off public roads.
Old 03-16-2004, 10:25 PM
Team Anthracite President

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks!

TLud,

Thanks for your post.

A few years back a drag race took place down my street, the results: One dead, the other one was given a 20 year sentence for Man Slaughter.

Since then, I know of at least five other deaths caused racing.

"Where you sit has a lot to do with where you stand"

Smeezy
Old 03-16-2004, 10:26 PM
Lurker

Wow, now if you happen get on it next to a G35 or hit 90 on the freeway it makes you a racer boy. I make no excuse for my expensive adult drag racing hobby and neither do the 10,000's of other drag racers in the sport. Just because you don't enjoy life or participate in the comradery of motorsports doesn't mean everyone else doesn't.

Those that need to grow up are those who think they're the parent of everyone else. If you are incable of judging if it's "safe" or not to make a sprint from 0-60 or drive 90 on the freeway that's you're problem, not ours. You're in no place to dictate to the rest of us how we choose to enjoy our TL purchase. There is a big difference between a quick 0-60 sprint and doing 100MPH on a curve and running red lights. Just like there's a difference between having a beer, and having 10 and then driving.
Old 03-16-2004, 10:29 PM
Senior Moderator

I am not your parent nor do I wish to be. I am another driver on the road and I ask you to obey the rules for my sake and for the sake of others.

What YOU DO affects others. Don't think you live in a vacuum. If you keep up the foolishness, somebody will pay the price, hopefully not the ultimate one.
Old 03-16-2004, 10:42 PM
Lurker

What foolishness? You automatically compare me to someone doing 100MPH on curves running red lights and the like?

You are unfamilar with the topography of SoCal highways. There are numerous stretches of straight roads with no cross traffic.

I think we can all agree that street racing is a problem, but like most "crimes" there are varying degrees of it. Am I going to bring my 10 second Grand National out on PCH and make a full pass? Of course not. But am I going to do 90 on I15 between Corona and Temecula...absofrigginlutely...I'm going to so it, and so are a majority of the people driving that stretch of highway. Am I occasionally going to make a quick start from a traffic light. Sure, if there is no traffic and there are no cross streets ahead. Am I going to drive 115 in rush hour traffic weaving in and out like a retard. Hell no. But am I going to get bent when I'm stuck in traffic caused by some dumbass doing 65 in the fast lane...hell yeah.

I'm involved in the sport of drag racing, that along with my education (M.S. Mathematics) puts me in a position to know more than most about mechanical physics and how it relates to automobiles. I have never been in an accident (never even close to an accident) and have never gotten a ticket (except for parking and tinted windows).

I consider myself to be a reasonable driver, but reasonable doesn't mean 90 in a 70 is evil. It doesn't mean that making a quick start or seeing how my TL compares with a G35 coupe on a barren stretch of dry Oso Pkwy is evil either.

You need to lay off with the broad brush there guy. I can't be driving like too much of an ass as I average better than 26MPG in my TL.
Old 03-16-2004, 10:54 PM
Senior Moderator

I get 26 mpg in my '97 with a 15 year old engine design. Sounds like a bit of a leadfoot to me.

Anyway, I am quite familiar with California's roads as I travel quite frequently. Going around the beltway in Washington DC you have to go 100 or so. Same with Massachussetts.

I avoid those roads at all cost and when I do have travel on them. I stay in the right hand lane. I guess I'm one of the "untermenschen" for not going past the speed limit.
Old 03-16-2004, 11:00 PM
Lurker

Driving faster than a steamroller is a leadfoot to you so I'm not too worried. Hope you don't cause an accident by impeding the flow of traffic. Remember, you don't live in a vacuum, there are other drivers and the natural flow of traffic to consider.
Old 03-16-2004, 11:02 PM

I think a lot of this shit has to do with "Brembos" being slapped on every car, every car (even Accords and Altimas etc ) have a lot of horsepower and all the marketing shows these non-performance cars going fast etc and now everyone thinks they are an enthusiast and knows how to drive. It is crazy. I notice a lot of car makers are just adding more and more power to their cars and marketing such. So u got some people thinking they are Mario Fucking Andretti. Hell we got EVOs now, WRX STis (Rally cars) now.

It used to be pretty much ONLY Vettes, Mustangs, Firebirds, and expensive cars. Now seemingly every car goes fast, every car maker has a performance division etc and drivers are getting no better.
Old 03-16-2004, 11:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Driving faster than a steamroller is a leadfoot to you so I'm not too worried. Hope you don't cause an accident by impeding the flow of traffic. Remember, you don't live in a vacuum, there are other drivers and the natural flow of traffic to consider.
I always keep up with traffic, notice I keep in the right hand land. Some states actually enforce that you know.

I'm well aware I don't live in a vacuum, otherwise I wouldn't be here complaining about your questionable driving practices.
Old 03-16-2004, 11:05 PM
Lurker

Still waiting to hear these questionable driving practices. But in any event, just make sure you don't endanger anyone with your driving habits.
Old 03-16-2004, 11:06 PM
Burning Brakes

I had no idea that my anecdote would lead to such a debate.

I don't condone recklessness on the highways. I am a proponent of keeping racing off of the streets.

At the same time I am human. I occasionally drive too fast on the streets. I try to do so in a reasonable and controlled manner with respect for conditions and traffic.
Old 03-16-2004, 11:08 PM
Lurker

Oh my. Shame on ya. Driving too fast. You could hurt someone. Or worse yet...get a thread derailed with bitching about your questionable driving habits.
Old 03-16-2004, 11:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Oh my. Shame on ya. Driving too fast. You could hurt someone. Or worse yet...get a thread derailed with bitching about your questionable driving habits.
Am I bitching? Perhaps. But I have a right to. Driving is a privilege not a right.
Old 03-16-2004, 11:12 PM
Lurker

A privilege granted by the state...not you...fortunately. And according to the Great State of California, (as well a the Mercury Insurance Company) I'm an exceptional driver. Said so right on my license renewal.
Old 03-16-2004, 11:13 PM
Senior Moderator

Keep up the driving habits and you won't have a license or someone will be dead. Its just a matter of time.
Old 03-16-2004, 11:17 PM
ZHP 4CE

Wow, now if you happen get on it next to a G35 or hit 90 on the freeway it makes you a racer boy. I make no excuse for my expensive adult drag racing hobby and neither do the 10,000's of other drag racers in the sport. Just because you don't enjoy life or participate in the comradery of motorsports doesn't mean everyone else doesn't.

Those that need to grow up are those who think they're the parent of everyone else. If you are incable of judging if it's "safe" or not to make a sprint from 0-60 or drive 90 on the freeway that's you're problem, not ours. You're in no place to dictate to the rest of us how we choose to enjoy our TL purchase. There is a big difference between a quick 0-60 sprint and doing 100MPH on a curve and running red lights. Just like there's a difference between having a beer, and having 10 and then driving.
Skeedatl-

I wasn't directing my previous post directly toward you or anyone else in this thread. I definitely wasn't trying to equate what happened to my friend with drag racing or anything else that happens on the track. I don't currently have anything fast enough to race, but as a big motorsports fan, I love to watch and read about it.

I wasn't even saying that I don't ever drive fast or aggressively on the road. I'll be the first to admit that when I'm at a stop light or on-ramp that merges into one lane ahead, I like to be the guy that ends up in front. I crave acceleration and speed. If I had a decently fast car, I can't say I'd never do a quick sprint from a stoplight if no one else was around (there's no point in my current vehicle, I'd lose every time). And I'll say this, I think that people who don't pay attention on the road (jabbering on their cell phones, putting on makeup, etc.) cause a lot more accidents than those who drive overly-aggressively.

Like I said before, what happened to my friend really put things into perspective for me. Everybody has close calls on the road more often than they'd like to admit (whether or not it's your fault). IMO, those close calls happen more often and their potential consequences are magnified the faster or more aggressively one drives.

I'm not pointing any fingers (cause I'd have to point at myself too) and I'm not expecting what happened to my friend to have any affect on anyone reading this thread. I just want people to keep it reasonably safe out there because it kills me to see those little wooden crosses on the side of the road now, and more than that, I don't want there to be one for me.
Old 03-16-2004, 11:20 PM
Lurker

Hmmmmm...I think not. Been driving pretty much the same way for nearly 2 decades and never a ticket, accident, nothin'...I sure to your great disappointment. And if I do get a ticket for 90 in a 70, I get to go to "traffic school" and watch Mr. Walker and Mr. Wheeler...the ticket wouldn't even go on my record.

Boy I'm sure you're steamin'. How could this be true? Time to riot. This deserves the derailing of at least 5 more threads.
Old 03-16-2004, 11:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Hmmmmm...I think not. Been driving pretty much the same way for nearly 2 decades and never a ticket, accident, nothin'...I sure to your great disappointment. And if I do get a ticket for 90 in a 70, I get to go to "traffic school" and watch Mr. Walker and Mr. Wheeler...the ticket wouldn't even go on my record.

Boy I'm sure you're steamin'. How could this be true? Time to riot. This deserves the derailing of at least 5 more threads.
I am hardly steaming. I am not annoyed. I am concerned though. For someone who has been driving for 2 decades, you sure didn't learn much.
Old 03-16-2004, 11:27 PM
Lurker

TLud, seeing accidents in street racing was part of the reason I stopped. What I find silly, is the need by others (not you) to derail a perfectly innocent thread with some holier than thou lecture.

It seems these people have no clue what real street racing is or what types of behavior lead to accidents. The stop light GP is not street racing, and doing 90 in a 70 isn't driving aggressively.

I think we can all agree on a lot of stuff. Driving like a retard on crack, weaving in and out of traffic, doing 140 on a freeway, blah blah blah is bad.

However, what some can't seem to agree on is this TL forum isn't a place for a morality lecture on driving habits. If these few do-gooders want to go on a crusade for safe driving they should volunteer at their local school's traffic and safety program instead of derailing threads.
Old 03-16-2004, 11:27 PM
Banned

What's with all the preaching going on in this forum?
Why do people feel it's necessary to impose their moral/ethical values on other people on a CAR FORUM? One minute, it's a guy calling some teenager a spoiled brat because his parents are buying him a TL and lecturing everyone on child-rearing; now it's someone getting bent because someone drives fast. :smackhead
Old 03-16-2004, 11:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by TLover
What's with all the preaching going on in this forum?
Why do people feel it's necessary to impose their moral/ethical values on other people on a CAR FORUM? One minute, it's a guy calling some teenager a spoiled brat because his parents are buying him a TL, now it's someone getting bent because someone drives fast. :smackhead
I AM imposing simply because I share the roads with leadfooted morons who cause accidents and raise my insurance rates.

When people do stupid crap like that it affects everyone.

If you don't want to wear your seat belt, fine be stupid, it'll only kill you. Buckle up your kids though.

If you want to speed, it is NOT fine with me.
Old 03-16-2004, 11:28 PM
Lurker

Originally posted by Ken1997TL
I am hardly steaming. I am not annoyed. I am concerned though. For someone who has been driving for 2 decades, you sure didn't learn much.
Neither have you evidently. Anyone driving faster than you is a leadfooted moron. Interesting. Well, time to move on. Perhaps it time you run off and derail the Subaru thread.
Old 03-16-2004, 11:32 PM
Pro

Your point was taken. Basically these are the types that bitch about hockey and football being too violent. Uh, don't watch. Uh, don't play. Don't like how I drive? Stay off the sidewalk. Don't like the comparison threads...skip them.

It's not rocket science.
I was just about to stop reading this thread and then I saw this.

Please explain this part about "Don't like the way I drive...."

So if you hit me because you want to race some ricer, it's not your responsibility or something? It's people like that that make me pay high rates for insurance and read about children being killed on their way home from school because some jackass wanted to race his buddy on a sidestreet.

One of the stupidest comments I have seen on here yet.

-If I was mistaken about what you meant, I apologize in advance. I also read no further than this post I quoted
Old 03-16-2004, 11:32 PM
ZHP 4CE

TLud, seeing accidents in street racing was part of the reason I stopped. What I find silly, is the need by others (not you) to derail a perfectly innocent thread with some holier than thou lecture.

It seems these people have no clue what real street racing is or what types of behavior lead to accidents. The stop light GP is not street racing, and doing 90 in a 70 isn't driving aggressively.

I think we can all agree on a lot of stuff. Driving like a retard on crack, weaving in and out of traffic, doing 140 on a freeway, blah blah blah is bad.

However, what some can't seem to agree on is this TL forum isn't a place for a morality lecture on driving habits. If these few do-gooders want to go on a crusade for safe driving they should volunteer at their local school's traffic and safety program instead of derailing threads.
agreed...what was this thread about anyways?
Old 03-16-2004, 11:33 PM
Lurker

Originally posted by apwalsh
I was just about to stop reading this thread and then I saw this.

Please explain this part about "Don't like the way I drive...."

So if you hit me because you want to race some ricer, it's not your responsibility or something? It's people like that that make me pay high rates for insurance and read about children being killed on their way home from school because some jackass wanted to race his buddy on a sidestreet.

One of the stupidest comments I have seen on here yet.

-If I was mistaken about what you meant, I apologize in advance. I also read no further than this post I quoted
Read the entire thread. You will see I was being sarcastic. The point was don't derail a thread 'cause yer on some safe driving crusade. There is a difference between dumbass ricers and someone doing 90 in a 70 or making a quick sprint from 0-60 from a traffic light.
Old 03-16-2004, 11:34 PM
Senior Moderator

Read the entire thread. You will see I was being sarcastic.
You should have indicated as such. You came across as a hot-headed moron with too much horsepower and too little of the gray matter.

Quick Reply: People are so ignorant